Warning...!! Do not buy cheap alloy oil drain plugs!!

Place for discussions about the RX-8
Project-RX8
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Custom
Has thanked: 0

Warning...!! Do not buy cheap alloy oil drain plugs!!

Post by Project-RX8 »

It's ironic really...

I had a heated debate with my brother about drain plugs because i spent £30 on a dimples one, he said he's never had a issue with his cheap magnetic one he bought off ebay.

The other day i was doing what was meant to be a simple oil change on my daily, removed the sump plug that i bought a few years back (this is the ironic part) cheap magnetic alloy one from eBay.

Put the plug back in, went in but as it started to bite it just kept turning and didn't tighten. Starting to get late and the stores closed i called my dad grovelling to borrow his car for the week while i was at work.

The weekend came round and i was dreading it, at the time not knowing if it was the sump or the plug i bought a new drain plug. I attempted to undo the old drain plug and again just span. Having installed a copper washer and being a little lose i thought chisel the washer off to get under the drain plug to apply some pressure and undo. Idea was there but it still just span and you could push it up and down.

Came to the conclusion it was the sump, dreading it... so i started to strip the underneath to realise what a big job it was on this car, so much needed to come off and gearbox needed to be split slightly, power steering off etc. So i thought sod it!! before i even attempt it i have nothing to lose forcing the sump plug out just to make sure it was the plug.

Using a decent socket and long handle i was able to pull down on the rachet while undoing the drain plug. Finally got it out...

When i saw the drain plug i was so glad... it was completely stripped, most likely because it had already started to go and i finished it off.

The point being though how easy it was to strip the rest of the thread removing it.

Put another drain plug in, it had a nice feel and was biting, removed it and put back in exactly the same and torqued up to spec without a problem.

Moral of the story, next oil change do not re install those cheap ebay magnetic drain plugs. If you want a good brand magnetic drain plug try the gold plug that opie sells, it's not going to break the bank and what i installed on the RX8
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey

Re: Warning...!! Do not buy cheap alloy oil drain plugs!!

Post by Mpv2k3 »

:thumleft: gold plug :thumleft:
Diamond Grey 2009 Mazda Rx8 R3 - Owned since June 2012
K&N Panel filter>D585-R Ignition Coil Kit>BHR Engine Mounts>Lockwood Front Grilles>Mintex M1144 brake pads>RacingBrake braided brake lines>Black Diamond G12 Grooved Brake Disc Front & Rear>Eibach Spacer's front 15mm, rear 15mm>4-Pot Front Brake >RacingBeat ARB's
AndyBrad
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by AndyBrad »

i just use a pella :)
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Phil Bate »

Same here. I haven't had the drain plug out since I rebuilt the engine... five years ago
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Sadly with the R3 it's just as easy to undo the sump plug given the filter is right next to it and accessible underneath
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

I still use the Pella on our R3 rather than risking any issues with sump nut and sump.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.