Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Custom
Has thanked: 0

Track wings...

Post by Project-RX8 »

What are you guys doing / using?

The car came with a cheap non branded wing, most likely causing drag instead of downforce and the amount of flex through the boot is unreal...

I was looking at chassis mounting off the rear bumper beam or welding something to the inside of the floor in the boot.

Preferably i would go chassis mount because it's baller but then it's heavier.

Chassis mount kits look great but the spoilers they come with don't list any track use or being designed for downforce with minimal drag ie. just for show. So i considered just being the mounts and buying an APR wing but they are allot of money...

So my questions is:

What wings are you using? are they track proven?
How have you mounted them?

Thanks...
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Track wings...

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

@Eddie_r32 has a wing that generates some decent downforce. No idea what it is or anything.

It generated enough downforce to cause front-end lift at speed, so he had to put vents in the bonnet to negate some of the natural lift.
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

I have a wing that came of an re amemiya kitted rx7 and believe the wing to be from them as well, it is not massive but has quite a large profile so it generates downforce in the same way a airplane wing generates lift.
As Dan said I had to vent bonnet as at around 105 the front end started to lift, the vents moved this to about 115. I have changed the angle of the wing and it's balanced things out a bit better, still need a front splitter!
It's just mounted on the boot lid and has dented it quite nicely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Conan »

Hi, I’m sure there will be varying opinions on this :)
The RX-8 doesn’t really need any downforce for track use and most wings you will come across will be for show, very expensive or create to much downforce generally resulting in slower lap times rather than quicker.
A standard RX-8 for example at Brands Hatch can almost take Padock Hill flat, almost take Graham Hill flat and take Surtees absolutely flat. Flat over Avon rise at Castle Combe and flat through the Craner Curves at Donington.
The PZ rear wing does work and stabilises the car at high speeds not compromising straight line speed noticeably.
Unless your pushing 300 HP plus there are better areas to spend money on.
The other question of course would be what wheels, tyres, suspension and geo set up your using.
Possibly not the answer you wanted but the car is very capable as it is ( the PZ anyway ) ;)
Regards
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything