Place for discussions about the RX-8
tayfun
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Meister R coilovers

Post by tayfun »

So, after some decisions I decided to go Aircups + MeisterR coilovers combination, and found only one company not far away from me that can handle this installation, because they are official HSD distributors here and do know something about adjustable suspensions, everything went smooth with installation during few days except for today... when they tried to put the car on the floor, fronts where exactly how I wanted and on full soft dumping adjustment they were bouncing when you "bounce" the car from the front, but situation with rear went much worse... dumping been set to max soft as well, but when the wheels touches floor the wheel stays at the same hight, even when 2 guys sat into trunk the car height haven't been moving at all, they tried to unscrew anti roll bars just to be sure that not the case, but that haven't done any change, I did sent email to MeisterR's to see what they think, but might be that isn't the fault of spring (which is only 5kg vs 8kg of fronts) but something that been overtightened by workers?

Here are some photos of what I'm talking about:

SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Re: Meister R coilovers

Post by SeeJay »

So,does the rear ride height not drop even when the spring seats are wound right down :?:
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Did they retighten the suspension pivot bolts with the weight off the wheels?

This can result in the bushes acting as rubber torsion holding the car up.

Pivot bolts shouldn't be tighten until the suspension is at the normal ride height.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
13Black (Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:23 pm) • wiggles (Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:51 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
tayfun
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tayfun »

SeeJay wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:23 pm
So,does the rear ride height not drop even when the spring seats are wound right down :?:
Exactly :c
tayfun
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tayfun »

warpc0il wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:53 pm
Did they retighten the suspension pivot bolts with the weight off the wheels?

This can result in the bushes acting as rubber torsion holding the car up.

Pivot bolts shouldn't be tighten until the suspension is at the normal ride height.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
I did have chat with them just few hours ago about not tightening anything before lowering the car/wheels, and they said they did tighten everything because otherwise the bolts would damage the rubber bushes, but on Monday they'll try to keep un-tighten everything and lower the car...

also I had a chat with few guys that had installed air suspension on their cars and they said that on the rears there was issue to put regular bags, because the shaft bumps into the dumper (whatever that means) and that's why the the height doesn't goes anywhere down, maybe that might be a reason...
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeeJay »

As far as I know,air cups are only installed on the front,to enable raising & lowering of the ride height to clear speed humps,etc.

Have they somehow linked it to the rear :?: :shock:
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

The bolts would damage the rubber bushings LOL on what planet are they on?!

I'm an unqualified idiot who hasn't even done much in terms of suspension and even I know that's nonsense.

Why they became HSD dealers I don't know.
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-
tayfun
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tayfun »

SeeJay wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:08 pm
As far as I know,air cups are only installed on the front,to enable raising & lowering of the ride height to clear speed humps,etc.

Have they somehow linked it to the rear :?: :shock:
They do say that plenty of customers on RX8 done full setup, but air guys did mentioned that there are issues on rear, which I'm still can't understand in terms why the heck the spring can't shrink and where rod bumps into... so on Monday I think I'll know if there is actually issue with those guys not installing it properly or actually with air cups, hopping for first option :roll:
13Black wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:09 pm
The bolts would damage the rubber bushings LOL on what planet are they on?!

I'm an unqualified idiot who hasn't even done much in terms of suspension and even I know that's nonsense.

Why they became HSD dealers I don't know.
Well, same thoughts I had when I heard that :D
tayfun
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tayfun »

I probably now understood what air-guys been talking about... if we'll imagine that this coilovers got similar structure as our stock suspension, and on this diagram we'll imagine that purple is air cup, then the cup just stops the red part from going inside into stock cup... so there is no way to fit cups on rear... or am I wrong?

ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

You don't have the part 11 on the Meisters. If the air guys said there were issues with the rears why proceed and try to fit them.
The guys fitting these parts don't seem to understand how to bolt suspension together. Also on the rear I don't think you need to undo anything except the shock absorber bolts to change the units.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
minisaki
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by minisaki »

I also have the meister r. I don't know if it'll have anything to do with your issue however I noticed that I have my car set almost perfectly however the front is just below half of its potential drop and the rears are almost maxed out. Obviously not an issue for me as the preload is separate unlike the quality Chinese coilovers. The height on the picture does seem pretty excessive but how much do the bags your fitting actually raise the car if at all. Also I'm sure when I got the suspension the sprig rates where much higher as in 8kg 10kg . Don't know if any of that's any help or not but I thought I'd get my 2 pennies in .
Brilliant black 192.
Carbon fibre vented bonnet, carbon fibre boot, carbon fibre Mazdaspeed spoiler, carbon fibre eyebrows, carbon fibre strakes, carbon fibre b-pillers, carbon fibre mirrors, K-Sport 8 pots, Japan Racing Wheels, Meister R CRD+, 10w50 fully synthetic, Castrol 2t racing pre mix and sohn Fed. red lined like she should be. :thumleft: :thumleft:
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

My Meisters were fitted at Rotary Revs and there was no high ride height issue when the car was lowered. The are firm but should certainly not be solid as you have said your rears are.
The standard springs are not really hard, Ranjan commented that my springs could do with being stiffer as the car was wallowing in corners, I must check what rating they are and talk to Meister.
Rotary History;

tayfun
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tayfun »

Thanks for your replies guys, the issue is with the structure of our rear suspension, the dumper just hitting the air cup, when it's required to go further inside the top mount, so I'll need to deal with the air cup guys now, as they were promising me that it will fit when I was asking them several times, and also saying that they have customers that fitted them on rear before, and when I contacted that guy they posted on their page, he said he installed only fronts...
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeeJay »

This kind of vindicates my earlier post about air cups only being for the front ;)
These users thanked the author SeeJay for the post:
tayfun (Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:04 pm)
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

tayfun wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:53 pm
Thanks for your replies guys, the issue is with the structure of our rear suspension, the dumper just hitting the air cup, when it's required to go further inside the top mount, so I'll need to deal with the air cup guys now, as they were promising me that it will fit when I was asking them several times, and also saying that they have customers that fitted them on rear before, and when I contacted that guy they posted on their page, he said he installed only fronts...
Full refund plus the additional labour costs from the air guys hopefully
Rotary History;

tayfun
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tayfun »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:00 pm
tayfun wrote:
Ha, I bet they'll get around saying it's my fault #-o but thanks for idea on what to count :thumright: and the worst is that they have holiday till 20th... and as soon as I have any update I'll write it here just in case someone decide to go this routine and there will be any solution, or not :D
These users thanked the author tayfun for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:08 pm)
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

tayfun wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:07 pm
ChrisHolmes wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:00 pm
tayfun wrote:
Ha, I bet they'll get around saying it's my fault #-o but thanks for idea on what to count :thumright: and the worst is that they have holiday till 20th... and as soon as I have any update I'll write it here just in case someone decide to go this routine and there will be any solution, or not :D
Hi, I'm considering getting some aircups as the speed bumps around where I live are a cause of concern even with my coilovers set pretty high.
Did you manage to fit the rears and have them work correctly?

Cheers.
tayfun
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tayfun »

Hi there, nope rears are impossible to fit on our cars :c but even with fronts speed bumps are no more an issue or driving on pedestrian part of the road, when road works are all over your city :D
untakenname (Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:05 pm)
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

Cheers for the prompt reply, I'll just get the fronts if it's still useable.

I have my car slightly raked ontrack as I had the alignment done with 60kg of subwoofer in the boot which I remove for trackdays so the rear is higher than the front anyways once it's out.
Have a couple more questions, did you get them direct from the manufacturer? I noticed driftworks distribute them in the UK for around the same price.

Also did you mount the tank between the two shock towers in the boot? Can't find the dimensions for the tank but I'm needing one that will fit into the back corner of the boot as my sub already takes up too much space and losing too much space will make the car impractical.

Think I may buy just a pair of the aircups then get the fittings and use a custom tank, I have a small air receiver tank I use with my compressor that fits the space pretty well as it's wider but shorter than the tank that comes in the kit.
tayfun
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tayfun »

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-09 at 17.40.26.jpeg
Here is how it looks in my trunk, it is quite small setup, so should fit with your sub, driftworks are official distributor, so shouldn't be any issue as well, and as you said your rear is higher than front that mean you 100% won't have any issues with speed bumps, and I absolutely love those air cups, so can recommend them :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
untakenname (Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:13 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Is it only me that's visualising this?
bounce.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ