Supercharged :thumleft:
sztriki
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: subframe rust how to treat

Post by sztriki »

I just SORN-ed the car, gonna sleep through the winter, which seems like a good idea considering that it was 1 degrees the other day in the morning and sidewalks and roads around the station were already salted like hell...but planning to do a big overhaul in March, wheels, tyres and most probs the subframe treatment, so I'll get back to it when the time comes.
BTW, the car has been locked away in a garage only since Monday and I already miss driving it like hell.
These users thanked the author sztriki for the post:
willberry70 (Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:28 pm)
gm6cmq
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Brilliant Black
Has thanked: 0

Post by gm6cmq »

I am looking at removing my rear sub-frame to needle gun and shot blast it including the brake calipers etc. The brake pipes seem to wind there way around the frame which looks as it may not be easy to remove.

Anyone removed the rear sub-frame, is there a way of getting the brake pipes out with out damaging them, one thought was to cut and join but as a last resort?

Currently we have the engine and front sub-frame out tackling the rust at the front of the car.

Regards Danny.
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

I managed to get some 2011 subframes recently in excellent condition. They will be prepped to tackle slight rust that has started in places and then fitted to the car soon.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Phil Bate »

gm6cmq wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:40 pm
Anyone removed the rear sub-frame, is there a way of getting the brake pipes out with out damaging them, one thought was to cut and join but as a last resort?
The rear lines are continuous all the way to the ABS unit. You can remove them easily if you have the engine and front subframe out already, but you don't need to in order to remove the rear subframe. Just undo the clamp for each one and the subframe will drop with them in place :thumleft:
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
gm6cmq
Club Member
Club Member

Post by gm6cmq »

Thanks I have another look. Just looked through your thread and I see you have the rear sub frame off right now.
On a side note I see you also had the front sub frame off, on mine I could not get the bolts out of the rubber mounts for the lower wish bone (right name?) the angle set bolts, just seized solid, how do you manage to get them out? I am thinking of leaving in and painting around.
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate »

Yes they can be a pain to free off. I broke them free on my silver car years ago - it took hours of working the bolts back and forth until they finally slipped in the bushes, then I could drive them out by fitting the nuts flush with the end of the bolts and tapping away at them with 'a persuader'. On the Kuro I'm restoring now, someone had obviously cut through the subframe and bolts to replace the arms at some point. The new ones had corroded again since and I didn't bother trying to remove them, I just reused my old setup which was still perfectly free after greasing the bolts last time around.

You will need to free them off eventually for alignment purposes and the job will be much easier with the frame off the car but it's still not pleasant, just do your best but be prepared to drill/cut the bolts out if all else fails :(
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
gm6cmq
Club Member
Club Member

Post by gm6cmq »

Thanks for your input Phil (and Delta0).

Got the bolts out of the arms, well three, one had no rust at all, two quite rusty and the last had to be cut off, then the remainder of the bolt pushed out of the bush. One new bolt and a few nuts ordered from Mazda ready for refitting soon. Looking forward to the rear sub frame, i am sure that will be fun too. Did you drop the fuel tank off to de-rust and repaint behind it?

Regards Danny.
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate »

Good job =D> I'm still working on the replacement rear subframe at the moment, but I probably won't drop the fuel tank when I fit it as it's relatively well protected above there and looks sound as far as I could peep. That will be a job for another day
TDT17
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: Nemesis
Colour: Copper Red
Been thanked: 0

Post by TDT17 »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:39 am
This us why I am attracted to the Krown process where it's a clear fluid which is used for the internal and external surfaces. Plus it's not hugely expensive.
Did you ever use this process? Looking to get mine done as got corrosion on subframes and suspension arms which is apparently starting to get into body chassis. Would rather try and sort instead of having to consider getting rid
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

TDT17 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:57 am
ChrisHolmes wrote:
This us why I am attracted to the Krown process where it's a clear fluid which is used for the internal and external surfaces. Plus it's not hugely expensive.
Did you ever use this process? Looking to get mine done as got corrosion on subframes and suspension arms which is apparently starting to get into body chassis. Would rather try and sort instead of having to consider getting rid
Please read this topic viewtopic.php?f=144&t=80393&hilit=Krown
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
TDT17
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: Nemesis
Colour: Copper Red
Been thanked: 0

Post by TDT17 »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:53 am
TDT17 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:57 am
ChrisHolmes wrote:
Please read this topic viewtopic.php?f=144&t=80393&hilit=Krown
Sorry won't let me read that topic unfortunately. Says I'm not authorised
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Not authorised as it is in the members section. Krown are in Birmingham http://www.krown.co.uk/
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Stephen Davies
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Phantom Blue

Post by Stephen Davies »

Don’t get POR 15 on yer hands, takes ages to get off, I’d use por 15 then topcoat black
Jayhoath
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Jayhoath »

After years of owning hondas and classic mgb's the only rust treatment and protection that i trust is Bilthamber they do all the products we need but as people have said the best method is to remove the subframes and do a full job as rust can hide between the chassis and frame to the point your frame may oneday dissappear into the crumbling mounting points just my 5p on the subject
These users thanked the author Jayhoath for the post:
untakenname (Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:48 pm)