Is there a guide for brake fluid change?

Place for discussions about the RX-8
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Re: Is there a guide for brake fluid change?

Post by qwakers »

i tried my ezibleed on my s1 and it wouldnt seal no mtter what i tried, i even modded a spare cap and it still leaked even at 5 psi.
AceCobra1
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Been thanked: 0

Post by AceCobra1 »

TerryH wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:08 am

Then this works really well:

Gunson G4062 Eezibleed Kit
Did you need to change the tyre pressure to 14 PSI as they recommended or can I just put it through the standard PSI that is already on my tyre i.e. about 30 ?

And did you need to only put a bit of PTFE tape to get it to seal or loads ? I assume just put it around the treads on the reservoir then tighten the ezibleed cap around the tape ?

Which brake fluid do you recommend ?
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

The ezibled kit comes with various screw caps but the 8 has a bayonet fitting.

I made up a modified oem cap and even with an extra seal and a tyre valve I couldn't get good results.

This was with a spare wheel at various low pressures.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

I too have modified OEM bayonet cap - which is usually vented to prevent a vacuum so that needs sealing up with araldite or similar to limit leaks.

Mine still leaks mind but you can get half a resi's worth through a line on one 20psi charge before it doesn't have the oomph to move more fluid.
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-
geofftl1000r
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by geofftl1000r »

I use a Pela pump to suck clean fluid through but rather then use ptfe tape on the nipples I use a dollop of grease at the base of the nipple to seal the threads and stop air getting sucked in. Not forgetting to clean it away afterwards.

I have the ezi-bleed kit too and that works well when you can get a good seal. Maybe I need to look for a tapered bung of some sorts that can be clamped in place of the RX8's reservoir cap.
40th Anniversary RX8
R3 Wheels: PZ Coilovers: RRP 'Red' Coils: RRP Engine mounts (softer ones): RRP COFS: RRP Blue Pulleys: Silicon hoses in blue: Goodridge brake lines: HEL clutch line: Racing Beat ARB's: SS Braided oil lines: Mishimoto radiator (oem fans)
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

I have used a Gunsens pressure bleeder for years as it comes with a selection of reservoir caps be aware that there are imperial and metric sizes so pick the right one it should be a tight secure fit, you don`t get any problems with air drawn back through the bleed nipples as using this the system is always under pressure and its a doddle to do it yourself.

Its literally a case of connect the pressure bleeder using a spare wheel at a reduced pressure, connected to the reservoir, systematically open each bleed valve, expel old fluid, lock the valve remembering to keep your eye on the replacement fluid level.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

The Gunsens kit doesn't include an adaptor that fits our tanks.

I (and a couple of other members ) went to the trouble of making an adaptor out of a used original Mazda cap and it still doesn't work.

The problem is that our tanks breath through the side of the thread not through a hole in the cap. The cap is also a bayonet fit, so has to press down further to turn than when locked. Even a soft o-ring can't form a seal.

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

warpc0il wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:13 pm
I (and a couple of other members ) went to the trouble of making an adaptor out of a used original Mazda cap and it still doesn't work.

Again Dave, speak for yourself ;) mine does the job just fine. It doesn't have to seal 100% to have adequate pressure for bleeding.
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Mine held some pressure for a bit and then sprayed brake fluid over the entire front of the car. Not trying that again.

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

Like I've said before, fill the Gunson can with fluid with a leak on the reservoir and you're asking it to spray everywhere!

Just use it to pressurise the system for the final few ml of fluid. Bosh.