Place for discussions about the RX-8
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: Cold Start Issues

Post by PaulAV »

Huw, you were wondering why a leaky exhaust would only show symptoms when cold, because once hot it might not leak, only needs a small gap for air to get drawn in then once warmed up and everything expand the gap could quite easily seal. It's not unheard of.
Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Rotary Potato »

Rotary Potato wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:37 pm
Ben has bet me a pint it's battery related and it'll fire straight up with a jump.

He thinks the strain of spinning the engine is meaning the coils don't have enough power to ignite the mixture, partially flooding the engine, hence why it then starts with fuel cut activated.

To avoid "doing a FrankenRex" I'll wait until the weekend when I'll have both daylight and time to help me steer clear of any sparky misadventures. :)
Working from home today, so cracked out the jump leads and ...

Ben owes me a pint! :lol:

Absolutely no difference.

It will fire eventually, but still very difficult and does it after a long crank followed by flooring the throttle to activate the fuel cut.
Huw

2004 Velocity Red 231 - SatNav, parking sensors, sunroof, red/black interior, K&N Typhoon, Toyo backbox, f- :censored: -ked engine - bought Jun 2016 sold Oct 2016
2006 Black PZ - Rotary Revs full Bridgeport Gold rebuild - Toyosport decat - SAI delete - 585R coils - K&N air filter - purchased Oct 2016 - Engine rebuild Dec 2017
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Exactly what mine is doing but we are pretty sure its compression as it tested at low 5 the other week.
Strangely after failing to start at Snetterton after several long attempts I walked up to the car, turned the key and vroom it started instantly! This happened twice and was a real shock to everyone!
Going in for an engine transplant on Saturday so I hope the issue is not there once that is comleted!
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by SeeJay »

Huw..when you have THIS starting issue,then you can moan ;)

2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Seejay could it be the fuel pump resistor failing? I believe it operates on start up to ensure the fuel pump supplies the correct pressure, but once started its not used, just figured if it's going bad it might restrict the fuel pump operation when it shouldn't
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeeJay »

Paul,I checked this out by bypassing the resistor - cut the connector off anothe rresistor,and bound the wires together - and it made no difference..

However,I've ordered another resistor so I can fully eliminate that component..

..and yes..this is really getting old now.. :roll:
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Just reminded me slightly of the old ballast resistor issue I had on a mini I think, when the key was in the starter position the engine fired but when you let it go the engine died due the resistor failing. I know its not the same but it seems like something is cutting out once the engine fires.
sKenDread
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by sKenDread »

Heya Huw, any news since last month? I've only just seen this thread.

08 231 West Midlands

Kia-ora!
'09 R3 Aurora Blue Mica
Pioneer AVIC Z-830DAB | PAC RP4-MZ11 Interface
Fusion Signature Series Monoblocks | Ground Zero 12" Subs
Toshiba LTO Batteries (80AH) | Assignable LEDs on Beauty Panel
Tein MonoSports | Tein EDFC Active Pro
Rebuild by Mick at Hurley Rotary
Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rotary Potato »

sKenDread wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:25 pm
Heya Huw, any news since last month? I've only just seen this thread.

08 231 West Midlands
Hi mate.

Not huge amounts of progress. Ben has said the next step is to test the coolent for possible leakage into the engine. Nick has a kit to test this, but I just haven't had any time recently to book in to go see him.

However, from using the car, if you leave it for anything up to 90 minutes after a hot shutdown, it fires up on the first turn of the key. Leave it 2 hours or longer and you get the endless cranking. There doesn't seem to be a graduation of the issue getting worse the colder the engine is, more of a binary fine-fooked line between 90 mins and 2 hours.

That feels to me very much like it's sensor/electronics related rather than anything mechanical. But I'm far from an expert! :)
Huw

2004 Velocity Red 231 - SatNav, parking sensors, sunroof, red/black interior, K&N Typhoon, Toyo backbox, f- :censored: -ked engine - bought Jun 2016 sold Oct 2016
2006 Black PZ - Rotary Revs full Bridgeport Gold rebuild - Toyosport decat - SAI delete - 585R coils - K&N air filter - purchased Oct 2016 - Engine rebuild Dec 2017
sKenDread
Former Member
Former Member

Post by sKenDread »

Bugger dude, I'm wondering if it's sensor based too but I don't know.

It seems like it's over fuelling when cold.
Or not enough air getting in.
Or not firing right when cold.
Dirty ESS?
Or maybe water getting in.

Your plugs seemed to look ok at Twycross last meet. And to be honest I was pretty nervous getting mine started that evening.

I spoke to Mick in Coventry that following week. He said to get the coils checked out again, as ignition being the potential culprit. Although mines probably due for a rebuild, he still thought the coils looked a bit knackered (D585) cooked???

08 231 West Midlands

Kia-ora!
'09 R3 Aurora Blue Mica
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Mick had a collection of 585 style coils hanging up on the wall, they are not infallible, but they are a big improvement on mazda coils, not all 585 coils are built to the same standard just like mazda coils if they were brought from the Internet they could be cheap ones, unless you know they are decent.
13Black
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by 13Black »

Revs have a similar death box of D585s of various types, and I think Ben did mention something about what they do to theirs differently. Even if I could accurately remember, it wouldn't be my place to say - but certainly seems like some are better made than others.

Keni I really think your engine is around the 5.0 kg/cm2
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-
sKenDread
Former Member
Former Member

Post by sKenDread »

Yeah Nick, I went to see Mick for the rebuild. I'll get it done pretty soon now.

Still wondering about this cold start though.

Huw have you tried another full set of ignition?

08 231 West Midlands

Kia-ora!
'09 R3 Aurora Blue Mica
Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rotary Potato »

Plugs are good.

I'll check ESS, but assume Rotary Revs would have checked/cleaned at rebuild time. Regardless, struggle to imagine a scenario where it's fine everywhere except stone cold starts. :)

It feels like an air/fuel issue ... but need to eliminate everything else first.

I probably need to book some time in with Mr 13Black, get the coolent test done, and work through some fault finding with him (along with some other bits'n'bobs like fitting my braided brake lines).
Huw

MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND »

Perhaps fuel pressure is ebbing away after a lengthy period of sitting :?:

Just thinking out loud....Seejay's starting problem is bugging me too #-o

Feel your pain guys :(

Regards,Mark.
Mark's : 2023 Misano Blue BMW M135i XDrive.

Mandy's : 2019 30th Anniversary Mazda MX-5 RF # 1761/3000.
Ainmhidh
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ainmhidh »

Are you still running the rice krispies map Huw?
Alan (he/him)| 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RRP MkII Coils, MSD leads...)
Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rotary Potato »

Might have to check fuel pressure Mark. Thanks.

Alan - it lost its pops'n'bangs (along with its ability to start from cold!) when it went for its mapping session up at Revs.
Huw

Ainmhidh
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ainmhidh »

You should get Ben to stick that map back on - it might be the only one it's happy with now it's had that experience!
(Anthropomorphic bridgeport?)
Alan (he/him)| 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RRP MkII Coils, MSD leads...)
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

I'd be quite surprised if they've changed anything on the map that would affect cranking - but then I don't do mapping and I am a bit of an idiot.
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
Ainmhidh
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ainmhidh »

I wasn't being entirely serious (Parker serious?) Must use more smilies to convey my intent! :-k :thumright: :beers: :duel: :roll: :oops: :scratch:
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

I actually did mention it to Huw before that it would be possible for me to flash the previous map onto it at the next Midlands meet (balls, still need to organise that actually) but that would require Ben sending me their maps and he's not that daft :lol:

Either way, quite happy to have a nose at a few things at the next meet, usually seem to get my hands dirty doing something.
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeeJay »

I'm over at Nick's on Tuesday to have the HC test done among other things,so it might be an idea to swap the original dwell map back whilst I'm there,as I don't think we've actually tried this..
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

I don't think we have.

Could also try OEM coils next time it's in for some smoke-n-a-pancake. Should be putting my rig together next week.
Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rotary Potato »

13Black wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:26 pm
I actually did mention it to Huw before that it would be possible for me to flash the previous map onto it at the next Midlands meet (balls, still need to organise that actually) but that would require Ben sending me their maps and he's not that daft :lol:

Either way, quite happy to have a nose at a few things at the next meet, usually seem to get my hands dirty doing something.
Would be awesome if you could mate. :thumright:

I start getting lost when you need to crack out the electronic spanner. :lol:
Huw

13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

I have no idea what I'm doing either. Just press Enter and charge people money.