Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Has thanked: 0

Another DIY engine mount guide

Post by rb_rx_gtr »

Hello all

I recently bought an RX8 which had collapsed engine mounts and after checking the cost of new ones thought I would follow various guides and videos on filling them with Polyurethane.

Most of the guides start with cutting the rubber seal away at the bottom of the bush and draining the oil. This is pretty straight forward. Use IPA and acetone to clean up to ensure the rubber is grease/oil free allowing for a good bond.

Looking at the guides, they drill holes in the plastic rings to allow the air to escape from the mixture. Instead I used a 54mm hole saw then removed the rings completely with pliers. This allows easier pouring of the polyurethane and less risk of large pockets of trapped air.

I have mounted them to the car and there is significant reduction in vibration as the old bushes had collapsed onto the brackets and far less engine rocking during gear change.

The Polyurethane I used was a 1L kit, however I had so much left, that a 500ml kit would of been fine.

Polytek Poly PT Flex 70 Liquid Casting Rubber
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rb_rx_gtr
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Another DIY engine mount guide

Post by rb_rx_gtr »

So after 9 months the mounts are still strong, no cracks. Only thing I would change is maybe using pt flex 80, especially for track.
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

Used the same method myself, with the hole saw, makes sense as there is no chance of air bubbles getting trapped
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

I used the traditional drill method, using a hole saw does seem to be quicker and easier to get all the plastic swarf out.
One thing to check depending on the makers of the polyurethane is if it cures at room temperature of if it's meant to be cured at a higher temperature, tbh after a few drives the heat (especially on the right) will have heat cured it anyways.
rb_rx_gtr
Former Member
Former Member

Post by rb_rx_gtr »

The curing process creates heat, but I did leave them a couple of days before fitting at room temperature.
njkmr
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by njkmr »

Used the same method and mine are still going strong after 6 months or so.