Place for discussions about the RX-8
wiggles
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Re: Tesco Momentum vs. Shell V-Power

Post by wiggles »

I just use standard fuel in mine... Cost enough as it is :lol: spent £68 at shell yesterday :shock:
Project thread Galaxy grey 231 - Street Port, Tein coilovers, decat, D585's, Cobra Catback whatever 9j wheels aren't broken at the moment and a massive wing
tekkendp
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Colour: Stormy Blue
Has thanked: 0

Post by tekkendp »

Okay - here's the follow-up.

Drove the car until empty. Full tank of Tesco Momentun (no pre-mixing this tme). Did motorway run. Now the car starts (hot/cold luke-warm, whatever) perfectly fine (quick minimal crank), like it did before the V-Power fill-up. It's been spot on all week.

So, the best I can say on this, Shell V-Power gives my car a serious case of Deli-belly. Wonder if this a hi-power (231bhp) thing? Still going to do the TLC treatment. Oh... the paranoia ... I mean joys of RX-8 ownership.
These users thanked the author tekkendp for the post:
nightfire10 (Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:12 pm)
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

Definitely not a 231 thing. Mine runs perfectly on V-Power, as do many others I believe.
Dazza44
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Dazza44 »

Mine to

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by nightfire10 »

tekkendp wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:24 pm
Okay - here's the follow-up.

Drove the car until empty. Full tank of Tesco Momentun (no pre-mixing this tme). Did motorway run. Now the car starts (hot/cold luke-warm, whatever) perfectly fine (quick minimal crank), like it did before the V-Power fill-up. It's been spot on all week.

So, the best I can say on this, Shell V-Power gives my car a serious case of Deli-belly. Wonder if this a hi-power (231bhp) thing? Still going to do the TLC treatment. Oh... the paranoia ... I mean joys of RX-8 ownership.
I use v power most of the time
Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Rotary Potato »

Another 231 that loves V-Power. :lol:
Huw

2004 Velocity Red 231 - SatNav, parking sensors, sunroof, red/black interior, K&N Typhoon, Toyo backbox, f- :censored: -ked engine - bought Jun 2016 sold Oct 2016
2006 Black PZ - Rotary Revs full Bridgeport Gold rebuild - Toyosport decat - SAI delete - 585R coils - K&N air filter - purchased Oct 2016 - Engine rebuild Dec 2017
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by acegeezer »

It doesn't make any difference really, I tested V Power for a good few months before returning to the normal 95ron having achieved no perceived benefits from the higher octane fuel in my R3 :)
John
R3-2009 "Sparkling Black" .. Gone but never to be forgotten 8)

New kid on the block .. Renault Megane RS 265 Diamond Black 2012 .. immaculate .. and quick :thumleft: Plus Honda CRV for the Dobermanns' :D
Lemon
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lemon »

they seem to be very picky when it comes to their preferred fuel, mine absolutely hated momentum when i filled up with it but has run faultlessly on sainsbury's super.
Thanks, Stu

Mad as anything
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Mine hates Tesco 95, is okay on Maxol 95 and noticeably smoother on Sainsbury's Super
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
akhan48
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by akhan48 »

I’ve always used V Power and nothing else, but all your comments above makes me want to experiment in case there’s another fuel my car likes better!
Diamond Grey R3. RR D585 Ignition Coils & Magnecor Leads. Pettit Racing / Milltek Catback. RB Dual-Res Decat. RR Custom Remap + Pops & Bangs
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Tesco Momentum vs. Shell V-Power

Post by GreySilver Beast »

My first RX-8 LP was happy on 95 Ron then they seem to change it and the car then no longer liked 95 Ron :( ,then switched to 97 Ron Super Unleaded and then the car ran smoothly after that =D>

The RX-8 R3 was very happy on 95 Ron =D> and the only time it got treated to Super Unleaded was when I was doing a Track Day :!:
These users thanked the author GreySilver Beast for the post:
acegeezer (Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:27 pm)
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member

Post by acegeezer »

Maybe the R3 is more tolerant with any of the fuels :)
John
R3-2009 "Sparkling Black" .. Gone but never to be forgotten 8)

New kid on the block .. Renault Megane RS 265 Diamond Black 2012 .. immaculate .. and quick :thumleft: Plus Honda CRV for the Dobermanns' :D
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

The R3 has 2 knock sensors (1 per rotor) whereas the S1 has 1 knock sensor. Could be a contributor?
These users thanked the author delta0 for the post:
acegeezer (Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:45 am)
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
Lemon
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lemon »

something else worth noting i see a marked increase in range when running on sainsbury's super as opposed to 95.
Thanks, Stu

Mad as anything
manuRx8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by manuRx8 »

warpc0il wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:06 am
Ethanol defiantly causes problems with classic cars and bike, as the materials used in the fuel lines, pumps, seals, carbs etc, was never designed to be ethanol resistant and, in most cases it isn't, even at the low levels we are now starting to see in UK pump fuels.

The RX8 was designed and most were manufactured, before ethanol became a significant factor in the markets in which the car was sold. There is no mention of ethanol resistance in any of the original or subsequently released service publications. However, this is also true for most cars produced in the early 2000's and that's why there's a limit to the ethanol permitted to be added to standard pump fuels. We may start to see some garages offering higher-ethanol fuels as an alternative, as they do in the US, though this can cause all sorts of miss-fuelling issues and confusion.
I disagree with this statement: several reports published by Mazda indicate that in Europe, all gasoline models marketed as of 2002 are compatible with 95 E10 gasoline.

In fact, in some countries, mixtures between E5 and E25 are already being used (Germany, Sweden, USA, Canada, Australia, etc.) and in others, small quantities are added as an additive to increase the octane rating, without indicating anything to the consumer.

In the user manual, in the part "Fuel Requirements" you can find the paragraph: "Your vehicle can only use oxygenated fuels containing no more than 10% ethanol by volume. Damage to your vehicle may occur when ethanol exceeds this
recommendation, or if the gasoline contains any methanol.
"

Reviewing multiple articles and technical studies, I have seen that everyone agrees that consumption increases somewhat (by 3% for an E10) but also all agree that it has some other advantages:
  • Improve the octane rating of gasoline (improvement in response in casualties is noted)
  • Reduces the variability cycle to cycle (more regular operation, especially in high)
  • Improves the volumetric efficiency of the engine, reducing the temperature in the intake manifold (in our case it would help the gasoline to cool the chambers).
  • Reduces carbon deposits ("dissolves" slowly) and prevents new ones from forming.
  • Reduces pollution (especially CO and HC)
  • Eliminates water from gasoline and deposits: it makes it soluble in gasoline, preventing clogged ducts and injectors, burning eventually with gasoline.
In fact I am using an ethanol mixture between 7% and 10% (handmade) I have already done about 9000 km with that mixture and the increase in consumption is lower than expected (1.6%). About the advantages mentioned above, I can confirm some. Others would need data, but I think it's working.

What I can confirm is the last one (make the water soluble in gasoline) since in the mix I have also included a part of distilled water (120ml per tank) looking for the improvements of the water injection and until now, I have not found any problem.

It is true that the improvements I notice are subjective, but what I can affirm is that I have not detected any problems.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

manuRx8 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:11 am
several reports published by Mazda indicate that in Europe, all gasoline models marketed as of 2002 are compatible with 95 E10 gasoline.
Please provide links to these reports, as I approached Mazda UK in 2008, on behalf of the OC, and they advised that no UK-registered RX8 to that date was compatible with E10 fuel.

They did suggest that the "new RX8" aka R3, would be compatible.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

Not saying I like the idea, as owned an MGB around the time of the move to unleaded and well aware of issues with fuel lines and valve seats that could cause but...

What is E10 fuel and how could it affect you:
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emis ... ffect-you/

Compatibility list:
https://www.acea.be/uploads/publication ... BILITY.pdf
shows Mazda:E10 petrol is cleared for use in all models with petrol engines introduced in and from the year 2002 - RX-8: SE.

who they are:
https://www.acea.be/

and worth a quick look:
http://www.fuel-identifiers.eu/docs/QA-consumers-EN.pdf
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

Maybe Mazda wouldn't say that the S1 was compatible with E10 because they never tested it? Given the date of the design process and how far away E10 adoption was back then. Whereas by 2008 for the S2 E10 was something they couldn't ignore. Could just have been a lack of testing so easier to say to customers it isn't compatible and save testing an old model.

Either way, am glad I got an R3. I'll take being able to refuel over your better gearbox :lol:
manuRx8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by manuRx8 »

This is a copy of the aforementioned page of the USA User Manual. You can check in yours, to see what they say.

I do not have the original documents, only references to them from various Rx8 forums and others. I hope they serve you.
http://www.rx8france.com/forum/viewtopi ... 20&t=14878
https://www.rx8club.com/australia-new-z ... 10-164985/
https://www.rx8club.com/australia-new-z ... uel-73153/
http://www.maizeaustralia.com.au/events ... endell.pdf (See the last pages)
Clive
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
RX-8: Supercharged

Post by Clive »

Race Car is mapped for V Power with Lucas octain booster which is Rotary friendly and not oxygenated unlike many, but I always used this in the road RX-8 especially when going on track.

But more importantly I have been told that V Power has the lowest ethanol content of any fuel in the UK
REgards
Clive

http://www.racingbeateurope.com

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Rotary, whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@racingbeateurope.com or call 01474 777 800
CTID
Former Member
Former Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by CTID »

With regards use of Ethanol my wife had a Focus 1.8 dual fuel on a 56 plate that was set to work for either normal or up to E85 fuel (not choice just happened to be the right age/model/price). That was a 2006 and the manual made mention that Ethanol had been used in fuels in low concentration for many years. As per manuRx8's post I'd be surprised if there wasn't consideration for low percentages of ethanol in fuel from before the RX-8 was interoduced. We don't still have it but there's probably copies of owner manuals around online somewhere.

The only mention of changes verse the normal 1.8 was that certain parts were hardened more than normal which from memory (metalurgy lectures 25 years ago) would improve their wear properties which makes sense in the context of potentially stripping lubricants mentioned earlier.

On thing with bioethanol however, no matter if it's E10 or much higher percentage is that the meterials it's produced from are largely food crops. Such is people's stupidity that in a world with people starving to death someone feels the need to use food to power cars.
Previous: 231 in Velocity Red, 231 in Black, R3 in Silver, Evolve in Copper Red.
Currently Vauxhall Astra GTC VXR :D
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

The UK Owners Manual page is different..
UK fuel.jpg
we know that the PCM firmware for UK, JDM and USA are also all different.

That page is from the 2005 Edition and IIRC EN228 was updated in 2012 to include a maximum of 5% Ethanol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

Some sums, for reference.

Compared to petrol (I'm assuming pure octane) pure ethanol has:
- 12% higher density
- 30% lower calorific value
- 40% lower stoichiometric ratio (9:1 rather than 14.7:1)
- 113 octane rating
- 12% less carbon dioxide emissions

These values mean that your tank of pure ethanol will:
- take you only 68% of the distance that petrol will take you. (Or have 32% worse mpg, if you prefer. If you get 20mpg on petrol you will get 13.6mpg on pure ethanol)
- Produce 18% more power.
- Require a fuel pump and injectors that can flow 49% more fuel.
- Will permit more aggressive compression ratio / boost / timing, further increasing the potential power.

When going for E85 the most important design change is to specify a high flow fuel pump, and larger injectors, and then tune the fuel flow tables appropriately. If you don't then the mixture goes lean at high speeds and loads, then things go bang....
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

E10 is EN 228 compliant as far as I am aware.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
phoenix11
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by phoenix11 »

V-Power currently £6.75 per Gallon! :shock:
Anyone higher?
I use Tesco Momentum :thumright:
Steve.
2004 Titanium Grey 231