Rotarythrill
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black
Been thanked: 0

Re: ToyoSports Hi Flo CAT

Post by Rotarythrill »

Shroom I am in the same situation, did the bolts from ebay work with the springs? Did you need to use washers for the springs?
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

:welcome: Rotarythrill

Pop along to viewforum.php?f=35 and introduce yourself.

After all, there aren't that many PZs running around Cranfield 8)
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Rotarythrill (Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:55 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
shroom
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by shroom »

Rotarythrill wrote:Shroom I am in the same situation, did the bolts from ebay work with the springs? Did you need to use washers for the springs?
Hi mate,

In all honesty I haven't had chance to sort it yet need to go and get it up on a ramp again.

Soooo what I thought is not to fit the supplied bolts in the same way the stock is fitted

The stock cat had the bolts going through it and then you bolt the exhaust to it. I though you could do it the other way around and screw the bolts into the cat not through it and put it on that way thus not needing longer bolts as it's not going through the flange of the cat it's going through the spring and then screwing into the cat flange as it's threaded, then if I had enough on the other end pop the bolt onto it with a spring washer to stop it undoing itself. I am not sure how much thread I will get through the other side though.

Other than that I brought some new bolts from a local agricultural merchant that are long enough to go through so was going to try a few methods.

Hope that makes sense

Tom

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author shroom for the post:
Rotarythrill (Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:55 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Fitting the Toyosport catback to the oem cat, I found that the bolts were too short in relation to the springs.

It was easier to find shorter springs than replace the bolts with longer.

See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=33838
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Rotarythrill
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black
Been thanked: 0

Post by Rotarythrill »

warpc0il wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:34 pm
:welcome: Rotarythrill

Pop along to viewforum.php?f=35 and introduce yourself.

After all, there aren't that many PZs running around Cranfield 8)
Thanks Warpc0il, I will soon. I have had an interesting year and had to spend 6 months in Spain, which is where I am originally from, so I haven't been really paying attention... and my car has had to suffer for 6 months in the open 😭. I had to replace oil lines, and 1 oil cooler. Oil pan will have to be changed soon as well...And now I have vibrations on the rear... 😫. My RX8 needs some love...
shroom wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:23 pm
Rotarythrill wrote:Shroom I am in the same situation, did the bolts from ebay work with the springs? Did you need to use washers for the springs?
Hi mate,

In all honesty I haven't had chance to sort it yet need to go and get it up on a ramp again.

Soooo what I thought is not to fit the supplied bolts in the same way the stock is fitted

The stock cat had the bolts going through it and then you bolt the exhaust to it. I though you could do it the other way around and screw the bolts into the cat not through it and put it on that way thus not needing longer bolts as it's not going through the flange of the cat it's going through the spring and then screwing into the cat flange as it's threaded, then if I had enough on the other end pop the bolt onto it with a spring washer to stop it undoing itself. I am not sure how much thread I will get through the other side though.

Other than that I brought some new bolts from a local agricultural merchant that are long enough to go through so was going to try a few methods.

Hope that makes sense

Tom

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Since I installed the mid-pipe over a year ago, I don't remember exactly what I did in the end. I think I just bought a longer bolts of the same spec thread and was done quickly, I think I even added nuts for the bolts on the other side of the flange to make sure it wouldn't come off accidentally. Until today no problem.
Ben_r1
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: Prospective Buyer

Post by Ben_r1 »

Top tip for exhaust blows at joints I was told years back by a chap working at quick fit, use RTV silicone sealant and allow 12 hours to fully cure!

When I heard this I laughed him out the door in disbelief but tried it once on a fire spitting Evo 9 that kept burning through gaskets and it never leaked again nor blew through!

To this day I still use it for exhaust assembly, including my 8, and it’s never let me down!
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Just don't use any exhaust sealant on the donut joint at the back of the cat, maybe just a touch of copper grease.

This joint has to move to allow the powertrain and catback to vibrate independently.
Lock it solid and the whole car feels really nasty, and your engine mounts will also suffer.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™