rdinuk
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red
Has thanked: 0

Re: It had to happen!

Post by rdinuk »

And just to add 20 years with a clean license! May stand in my favour.
DrewR3
Club Chairman
Club Chairman
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by DrewR3 »

Just hope there was no schools or playgrounds nearby. Ridiculous having to go court tho. This new system because there is so many variables the courts are going to be rammed because u have to go and discover the punishment instead if just a fine and points coming through....
Club Chairman

RX-8 2010 R3, Crystal white, 26k miles, Full Mazda Service History

Daily - 2012 Mercedes E220 Coupe AMG sport, Deep Blue, 19 inch AMG alloys with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, AMG BBK with drilled discs

Previous RX-8 - 2006 '56' S1 Pz Prodrive edition, Galaxy Grey
rdinuk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by rdinuk »

DrewPz wrote:Just hope there was no schools or playgrounds nearby. Ridiculous having to go court tho. This new system because there is so many variables the courts are going to be rammed because u have to go and discover the punishment instead if just a fine and points coming through....
Crap! There is a school if I had turned right about 1000 yards away however there is a camera there. Oh the joys!!
DrewR3
Club Chairman
Club Chairman

Post by DrewR3 »

rdinuk wrote:
DrewPz wrote:Just hope there was no schools or playgrounds nearby. Ridiculous having to go court tho. This new system because there is so many variables the courts are going to be rammed because u have to go and discover the punishment instead if just a fine and points coming through....
Crap! There is a school if I had turned right about 1000 yards away however there is a camera there. Oh the joys!!
Oh dear. Was it a school day too? Ya might be feeling to red hot poker of the law up ya bum with this one.
Club Chairman

Daily - 2012 Mercedes E220 Coupe AMG sport, Deep Blue, 19 inch AMG alloys with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, AMG BBK with drilled discs

rdinuk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by rdinuk »

Yep a school day!!!!! however 06.36 in the morning???? Now I am worried.
DrewR3
Club Chairman
Club Chairman

Post by DrewR3 »

rdinuk wrote:Yep a school day!!!!! however 06.36 in the morning???? Now I am worried.
Mrs mums a magistrate, ill be seeing them in morning ill ask for you whether they would take into account it being 630am but i personally think thats a bit near school time and they may shaft you for it. If it had been 3am when definately no kids would of been around but then in their eyes you have to think well 630am is early enough for people to be up walking dogs, running or even maybe kids getting to school early etc and they could even use the line if that had been an hour later you would of been speeding through where children were. I got caught doimg 36 in 30 years ago when the awareness course first came out and had to go all way to bristol to keep my clean license and do this special course where they had like a reaction simulator at 30 and 40 to show how mich further you travel and showed pics of accidents and that if u hit a kid at 40 they have like 20% chance of survival compared to 30 they have like 80% etc etc. It was all very eye opening however i think your passed going on that with a summons.
Club Chairman

Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

If they are going to offer the course or the FPN then it is usually in the first letter they send... I speak from experience...
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
SeriousSam
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231

Post by SeriousSam »

In my case it was the second letter that offered it. But that was over three years ago, so the procedure may well have changed since then
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round
Tpin
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by Tpin »

rdinuk wrote:I agree that in this case it was almost a fair cop, however it was 06.30 NO traffic & i was just half asleep trundling along to work. There is only one tiny sign (which I didn't notice) & NO speed signs. I just have to hope for a fixed penalty & 3 points. I'm careful of speed 99% of the time, just my hard luck the 1% I got caught. I will put an update in when I know the outcome.
Thanks to all for letting me rant & be mindful of your speed if your ever in Glasgow.

23rd May, 06.18hrs 43 in a 30 :oops:

First ticket in 33 years.

Guilty as charged.
DrewR3
Club Chairman
Club Chairman

Post by DrewR3 »

Tpin wrote:
rdinuk wrote:I agree that in this case it was almost a fair cop, however it was 06.30 NO traffic & i was just half asleep trundling along to work. There is only one tiny sign (which I didn't notice) & NO speed signs. I just have to hope for a fixed penalty & 3 points. I'm careful of speed 99% of the time, just my hard luck the 1% I got caught. I will put an update in when I know the outcome.
Thanks to all for letting me rant & be mindful of your speed if your ever in Glasgow.

Guilty as charged.
Oh dear 40% over limit. We should start a new sticky of offence and what you get in court so we can build a little database of what to expect or potentially as a defence for example if theyre being over harsh and trying to give a 75% wage fine and 9 points, but someone else had previously commited same and got 3 points and 25% fine? It seems to me that the other downside of this new system is possibke inconsistentcy of punishment depending on the magistrate?
Club Chairman

Tpin
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tpin »

DrewPz wrote:
Tpin wrote:

Guilty as charged.
Oh dear 40% over limit. We should start a new sticky of offence and what you get in court so we can build a little database of what to expect or potentially as a defence for example if theyre being over harsh and trying to give a 75% wage fine and 9 points, but someone else had previously commited same and got 3 points and 25% fine? It seems to me that the other downside of this new system is possibke inconsistentcy of punishment depending on the magistrate?

Well, it looks like a speed awareness coarse is beyond me...I dont qualify.
Why....because I'm 1mph outside the threshold which, in a 30 is 42mph.
DrewR3
Club Chairman
Club Chairman

Post by DrewR3 »

Tpin wrote:
DrewPz wrote:
Tpin wrote:

Guilty as charged.

Well, it looks like a speed awareness coarse is beyond me...I dont qualify.
Why....because I'm 1mph outside the threshold which, in a 30 is 42mph.
You must live in a kind place. Wales awareness course is 35mph cut off in a 30
Club Chairman

Tpin
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tpin »

If I'd been doing 42 what's the betting it'd say 41?
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

It had to happen!

Post by GreySilver Beast »

I got a Road Angel in my car that also has built in Laser Detection =D> ,plus the In-Car Sat-Nav has Camera Detection :twisted:
wordle-headder-image-for-freeweb-road-angel-site5.jpg
I drive a lot slower now as trying to get a clean license,so 3 points have already come off this year and just waiting for the other set of 3 points to come off my license :P

It's amazing how much fuel am saving just sticking to the speed limits and now getting 40mpg plus in a 2.0 Automatic Sports Car :shock:

Now reserve my high speeding to the Track Days throughout the year :twisted:

On the note regarding Glasgow am not surprised you been caught as my Road Angel was going bonkers on the Scottish roads when I was up there a few weeks ago :(
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
exiled--viking
Former Member
Former Member

Post by exiled--viking »

yep its Ok Nigel but e~assit is not one of there options now plus £90+ for a years subscription is steep or £245.00 for 3 years I had mine 5 years now and the internal battery is on its way out and the screen back lighting is starting to fade.... they have given me a replacement well good discount on a new one and transferred the subscription over to the new one but beware you have to buy blackspot, The Road Angel group Nottingham as blackspot has been bought out by the new group nice to see that they honour the old company policy to get this cover you will not get it if you buy from halfords or the like ......... plus leave it at home if you go to Europe they find this in your car large fine at least car impounded at most with fine and you loose the devise :shock: :shock: :shock:
These users thanked the author exiled--viking for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Wed May 31, 2017 10:01 pm)
exiled--viking
Former Member
Former Member

Post by exiled--viking »

P>S Nigel there's a new Firmware up date tomorrow ;) ;) just found out why mine would not up date they say I need that firmware with all the new information .....
These users thanked the author exiled--viking for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Wed May 31, 2017 10:01 pm)
tractorboy
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231

Post by tractorboy »

What's all the talk of going to court? Surely if you plead guilty it won't need to?

Bob
Sold in 2017: Velocity Red RX-8 231 '04, Acquired Nov 2009, 1st RX-8
DrewR3
Club Chairman
Club Chairman

Post by DrewR3 »

tractorboy wrote:What's all the talk of going to court? Surely if you plead guilty it won't need to?

Bob

Is new system isnt it. You get to go learn your fate in court instead of fpn.
Club Chairman

Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

The way the old system works is that you could plead guilty by post, the only exception to this is if it was a speed great enough for an instant ban to be a punishment.

I did a rather high speed and because I could potentially lose my licence for it they said that I couldn't plead guilty by post and would need to attend court.

I don't know what they limits are for the new system, though, and whether insta-ban potential applies to any speed now.

Don't be too worried, though, just because a speed is high enough for them to potentially ban you, it doesn't mean they will. I didn't get a ban, but caught a hefty fine for my troubles...
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
Tpin
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tpin »

I'm going to court|(I hope) as there are mitigating circumstances....I want to put these to the Magistrates in person.
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

I really can't get my head round all this going to court business and bans ect ect.You were 10 MPH over the limit for Christ's sakes,its not like you were barrelling down the road doing 100 in a 50 zone....
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

Tpin wrote:I'm going to court|(I hope) as there are mitigating circumstances....I want to put these to the Magistrates in person.
Hoping for you nothing terrible had happened for there to be mitigating circumstances.
kopite72 wrote:I really can't get my head round all this going to court business and bans ect ect.You were 10 MPH over the limit for Christ's sakes,its not like you were barrelling down the road doing 100 in a 50 zone....
Seriously mate? He was 13mph over the limit in a 30, that's 30% (ish I think)

30 means a residential zone with a high risk of hazards. Important ones that deserve to live, like children, old people (and other humans in general), often with homes, shops, schools in close proximity to the road. If there's a big wide pavement and it's safer, then it'll be a 40.

43 in a 30 is waaaaaaaay too fast to stop safely if an unexpected hazard enters the road. It puts my kids and other people's loved ones in unnecessary danger. It's a world of difference from going fast on a dual carriageway or motorway which are designed with speed in mind.

Not trying to vent at or target anyone here specifically, but people who speed in 30 zones (for anything other than a freak accident or serious mitigating circumstances) make me furious and need educating... or a ban.
Tpin
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tpin »

It amazes me how judgemental people can be without knowing the facts.

It was NOT a residential area....there was no traffic on the road as it was 0615hrs.

In my post I noted that it's my first ever speeding ticket which shows I am not a serial offender and quite alert to my surroundings.

Not a bad record considering I've owned M3s, Cosworths, Kawasaki ZX1000s, Yamaha R1s etc.

I was actually accelerating out of harms way, for all of 3 seconds.....It was the morning after the Manchester bombing and only 1 mile from the Arena, there was an ambulance with 2 motorcycle outriders coming up behind me.....as the hospital was left at the lights I would have caused them to slow down so I put my foot down to give them unhindered right of way.

I bet you never speed, do you?

How you come across is both pompous and arrogant, tbh.
Last edited by Tpin on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Agree with you,always amazes me when people get on their high horses and start wagging the finger and talking down to people who may have been speeding tho in the case of the OP 40 in a 30 zone is not speeding in my opinion.Every single one of us on here has sped at one time or another and I include myself in that.Let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that.Hypocrites thrive in a hypocritical world...
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

Tpin wrote:I bet you never speed, do you?
No. I have never done more than 32 in a 30 zone, ever, and never will. I've seen first hand what speeding in a 30 can do. To limit the risk when I enter a 30 zone I whack on the cruise control and keep my foot lightly over the brake. Honestly I'm shocked that you guys are so casual about it. Speaks volumes. I hope it doesn't take a tragedy (or murder IMO) to set you straight.

Just because you didn't perceive a hazard, doesn't mean it wasn't there. I'll leave rule 219 of The Highway Code here:

Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or traffic officer and incident support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

Emergency response drivers are professionals, they expect you to follow the rules of the road and will work around you. I know two Essex Ambulance drivers personally.

Best of luck with the judge.