Place for discussions about the RX-8
98of400
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Let's talk dashcams

Post by 98of400 »

For anyone considering a dashcam Lidl will be selling them this coming Monday, the 18th, for £29.99. Spec and link below:

Documents traffic in detailed Full HD 1080p at 25fps with an integrated G-sensor which automatically records video sequence in case of impact.

Continuous recording and 3, 5 or 10 minute sequence recording options, as well as additional photo function, preview function and live preview via 2.7” TFT display.

Includes pivoting and swivelling suction cup holder, USB-to-mini-USB cable and 12/24V USB adaptor

Specifications:

Video resolution:
Full HD 1080p
Photo resolution:
5MP (max. 12MP interpolated)
Memory cards (not included):
Micro-SD/SD HC up to 32GB
Connections:
Mini-HDMI, Mini-USB, Micro-SD slotx

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/www_lidl_ ... tryCode=GB
jonspurs
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey
Been thanked: 0

Re: Let's talk dashcams

Post by jonspurs »

Has anyone tried plugging in their dash cams to the USB port of their XCarLink and using the power via radio/head unit?
Jon
--------
Michelin Pilot Super Sport = Road glue
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Typically the power available on these USB ports is only enough to wake-up a memory stick, not to run a hardware device.

We have a Fiesta in our daily fleet with a built-in USB port for playing from a memory stick. There's just enough power there for my Samsung phone to detect that it's connected to something but not enough to charge the battery.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
jonspurs (Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:25 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Cuzza_Glos
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White
Has thanked: 0

Post by Cuzza_Glos »

I've hard-wired mine into the back of the cigarette lighter socket, hides all the cables and still leaves your socket free for something else.
2009 RX8 R3 in Crystal White - - -> Racing Beat backbox / ToyoSports sports cat / Lockwood grills / 20mm Super-GT spacers / personalised plate / hard-wired dash cam - - -> Next is upgraded head unit with reversing camera and a new spoiler.
rdinuk
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by rdinuk »

Bought the one below. Took about 3 hours to fit it all but you can hardly see it! Hard wired it from my cig lighter which I don't use. All in including a 32gb card it was about £50. Good picture and reverse cam too!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you get live right or you will destroy the camera as I did on my wife's car. Yellow is live on the cig lighter.
jonspurs
Former Member
Former Member

Post by jonspurs »

rdinuk wrote:Bought the one below. Took about 3 hours to fit it all but you can hardly see it! Hard wired it from my cig lighter which I don't use. All in including a 32gb card it was about £50. Good picture and reverse cam too!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you get live right or you will destroy the camera as I did on my wife's car. Yellow is live on the cig lighter.
Nice one. Got any pictures of the install?
How did you wire/route the reversing camera cables?
Jon
--------
rdinuk
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192

Post by rdinuk »

I don't have pics at present but fitting was easyish? I removed the centre console. Pulled the ashtray out. I then fitted the mirror and plugged in the rear cam wire and the main dash cam wire. I ran the cable along the roof linings down the piller avoiding the airbag then down to the passenger door fuse box. The rear cam wire I carried on tucking it under the door trims then pushing it through to the boot via the back seats (was a bit of a nightmare). Then along the boot liner. I removed the plastic at the boot hinge were the lock is. There was a hole leading the the bumper so I didn't have to drill. I fixed the camera with epoxy next to the number plate. I then wired the rear camera into the reversing light (red cable) . Tidying everything up put the boot linings etc back together. Goo g back to the front camera I ran the cable using ties round the passenger footwell then into the centre behind the radio. I connected the wiring. Yellow live grey neutral. Put it all back together. Turn the key to on and sorted it powered up. Put it in reverse and rear cam comes up. You can change a lot of settings too.
Sounds a lot to do but worth it. You can only see 2 inch of wire coming from the roof to the mirror.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author rdinuk for the post:
jonspurs (Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:47 pm)
pfletcher83
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by pfletcher83 »

For anyone looking for a reliable dashcam I can recommend the Blackvue cameras.
I've had mine for about 5 years now and never once had an issue, initially I would check the recordings were ok every few weeks but I only bother once every few months now as not once has there been an issue with either the camera or recordings.
It's paired with a Power Magic Pro which allows me to select between always on (for parking mode) and on with ignition only.(wired to passenger footwell fuse box) It also monitors the battery and cuts power to the camera if the voltage drops below a defined level.

Although not the cheapest cameras available, reliability was the over-riding factor for me.
My father has a 'generic' dashcam but has had issues with recordings not being playable and the camera not automatically overwriting the oldest recordings when the card is full, meaning it's not recorded at all.

I'm debating upgrading to the latest generation of blackvue (because I like shiny new things), but mine has been so reliable I'm struggling to justify it.

Paul
These users thanked the author pfletcher83 for the post:
Juey (Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:43 am)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Would it be easier to justify the upgrade if there was someone interested in buying your existing one - if the price was right? ;)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
feedthegoatxi
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by feedthegoatxi »

I went with this set up, action cam from my bike and one of them magnet phone holders so I can switch easily, full hd. Tip when positioning though, best to place on nearside where the wipers actually clear the window #-o
IMG_20170622_164040.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pensive
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Pensive »

Worth mentioning that you can now get replacement rear view mirrors that run android, feature auto dimming, dashcam, bluetooth reversing camera (/rear dashcam camera) and gps tracking features all in one. I've never tried them but if you are looking at the auto dim rear view mod, and you're concerned about bulk etc. it makes sense to hide all that bulk inside the already bulky wing mirror. A non-oem rear view mirror is sure to be a better look than a bolt on dashcam....

http://linuxgizmos.com/rear-view-mirror ... l-cameras/

Looks to be about £150 quid all in once VAT and duties are applied - including the reversing camera.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-3G-1080P-Car- ... Sw44BYNaG1

Seems a bit of no brainer to my mind.
exiled--viking
Former Member
Former Member

Post by exiled--viking »

Just to say If you wait till end of august Next Base are Bringing An up date to the 512 which is one of there better cams there going to add a Rear camera in the package,.... mounts will include the rear cam and can be mounted rear window or bumper and connect direct into the main body of the unit I have phoned the company if this is genuine they confirmed it was it will have the following features

Rear Cam :-

720p HD

wide angle to capture all of the action

GPS location, speed, speed of impact ,

wifi link to play back footage to phone or tablet, bumper kit or suction mount for the rear window

reflection free recording

5 mtr cable

140 degree viewing angle

front cam is the same the picture is of the old unit not the new updated 512 and rear cam

1440 HD this is one of the up date from 1080 HD

GPS

hard wiring kit

Magnetic mount

new sony Exmor 2 sensor for image quality

Parking mode auto records any moment motion when parked

Wifi to phone /tablet

I will be up dating mine when this come out and transferring my old two units to my partners car ;)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

I wonder if you could also run Torque on that android mirror?
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Juey
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Black Cherry

Post by Juey »

""Any travel or transportation App that is found on Google play can be downloaded to the mirror and consumers can use a Wi-Fi hotspot on their cell phone to use internet connected Apps.”""

...maybe
Black Cherry Mica
JDM Evolve. 192 6 spd manual from auto
I can explain it, but I can't understand it for you.
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Let's talk dashcams

Post by GreySilver Beast »

I put the Two Cameras I was buying on hold for now as a bit reluctant to spend anymore money fitting stuff to the GT86 as planning on getting rid of the car next year :twisted:

These are the ones am looking at though Front Camera & Rear Camera from Road Radio in Crawley West Sussex :thumleft:
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
pfletcher83
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by pfletcher83 »

warpc0il wrote:Would it be easier to justify the upgrade if there was someone interested in buying your existing one - if the price was right? ;)
Sorry Dave, only just noticed this reply.
It would be tempting if i wouldn't still need to fork out about £250 after selling mine for the one i want :(
I just cant bring myself to spend that much replacing something that's working fine :roll:

Paul
jonspurs
Former Member
Former Member

Post by jonspurs »

warpc0il wrote:Typically the power available on these USB ports is only enough to wake-up a memory stick, not to run a hardware device.

We have a Fiesta in our daily fleet with a built-in USB port for playing from a memory stick. There's just enough power there for my Samsung phone to detect that it's connected to something but not enough to charge the battery.
Cheers for the reply.
Yea some cars USB are low powered.
I've just tested the XCarLink USB output to a multimeter and I'm getting 2Amps! More than enough to power a cam, which is 1A.
BUT...when testing and reading, there was a high pitched squeek/buzzing sound coming out of the speakers (along with the music)... :?
Now I don't know if a dash cam would do the same...
Jon
--------
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

The high pitched squeak is due to the RX8 not having a ground loop isolator. I find it usually only affects the Aux playback, but if it's going through an XCarLink device then it may be occuring elsewhere.

I 'fitted' (plugged in...) one of these in to the Aux port on the R3 and now it's bang on: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mpow-Ground-L ... 2556690706
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
jonspurs (Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:09 am)
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

jonspurs wrote:
warpc0il wrote:Typically the power available on these USB ports is only enough to wake-up a memory stick, not to run a hardware device.

Cheers for the reply.
I've just tested the XCarLink USB output to a multimeter and I'm getting 2Amps! More than enough to power a cam, which is 1A.
BUT...when testing and reading, there was a high pitched squeek/buzzing sound coming out of the speakers (along with the music)... :?

How did you connect the multimeter?
If you just connected it across the output and selected "Amps" on the meter then you effectively short-circuit the output.
Unlike volts, amps must be measured in series, with the intended load applied.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
jonspurs (Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:09 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
jonspurs
Former Member
Former Member

Post by jonspurs »

warpc0il wrote:
jonspurs wrote:

Cheers for the reply.

How did you connect the multimeter?
If you just connected it across the output and selected "Amps" on the meter then you effectively short-circuit the output.
Unlike volts, amps must be measured in series, with the intended load applied.
Whoops...that makes sense...which I should have known...thank you...it explains the hum/buzz.
Tested with a USB stick and it's fine...no hum/buzz.
Have ordered a Pruveeo F4 to be discreet.
Let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!
Jon
--------
jonspurs
Former Member
Former Member

Post by jonspurs »

Update - I'm sending it back.

It keeps corrupting the video and causes radio interference.

Still want a discreet/removable camera.
Looked at the Anker Roav...but reviews say it gets boiling hot and has a lithium battery.
So...I might get the A118C2 instead.

To be continued...
Jon
--------
DARRENL
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by DARRENL »

I have used iSymDVR2 which is an app on iPhone for the last couple of years. Very good.
jonspurs
Former Member
Former Member

Post by jonspurs »

Update.
Got the A118C-2 -
And 3m USB cable -

It works fine with a Kingston micro SD.
No interference like the previous dash cam. But I occasionally once in a while do hear a crackle...need to do more testing if it's the camera or just poor signal.
Discreet and easily removable...I'm happy with it.
Has a super-capacitor instead of a lithium battery.

Only thing is that the camera kept acting as a mass storage device as it's plugged into the XCarLink USB port for power. So, I bent a thin film of plastic into the USB slot to insulate the 2 central data pins...so only power is connected.

Jon
Jon
--------
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Let's talk dashcams

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Have ordered a Dashcam via eBay today in time for my German Trip next Month :thumleft:

New-4-039-039-HD-1080P-In-Car-DVR-Dash-Cam-Dual-Lens-Rearview-Camera-Video-Recorder-UK

In Car Camera System.jpg
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Didn't want to start another thread, I'm considering a next base dashcam but not having a PC is there a way to transfer footage to an android tablet? I have a tab S3
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK