Leefuss
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey
Has thanked: 0

Let's talk dashcams

Post by Leefuss »

Thinking about getting myself one of these with the amount of bellends that frequent the roads and was wondering what people are running?? Had a search through the forum and there's nothing really about what people have from what I can see

Had a quick look on the Halfrauds website and they currently have the Nextbase 202 on offer for £45. Anyone use this or had any experience with this?
Calum
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Re: Let's talk dashcams

Post by Calum »

I got a Nextbase 512g as a christmas present for my dad (as well as the hardwire kit) - about £162 all in from Amazon.

After seeing the quality of the footage and how wide the field of vision is, I also decided to get one for the Mazda.

Worth noting that Adrian Flux gave me 15% off my insurance quote thanks to having one fitted :thumleft:
Galaxy Grey PZ
20mm H&R Spacers / AEM CAI / Sohn Adaptor / Superstreet N1 Catback / Toyo Decat / Aero Kit / Alloy Fuel Cap / R969 Ignition Kit

If you don't look back, you bought the wrong car
EvilDes
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by EvilDes »

I've been looking for something too since buying the R3 - last year some tw@t slammed his brakes on a green light trying to get me to crash into the back of him in my S1, and since then I have meant to buy one. So now is the time.

There's just so many options, price variations and features - do I need them all?

GPS tracking - for me, not a requirement, unless someone can show me a big benefit?
Field of view - I want the widest possible, but what would be the absolute minimum to go to? 120?
Storage capacity - what's the practicality of having larger storage, when any footage not required gets overwritten (therefore meaning support "only" up to a certain size isn't as detrimental to the operation of the dashcam?)
Recording when the car is parked - this is where I start to confuse myself - is this something I need? It would only be useful for vandalism/break ins, as if the car is nicked, so is the camera.

So, overall, is there any value in spending £150-200, as opposed to £50-60? Any value in front and rear cameras? I always think that regardless of what happens behind you you'll be able to see when you're not in the wrong even with front only footage?

Think I've thrown enough spanners in there now... discuss :D
Calum
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Calum »

My only real concern when picking out a dashcam was the clarity of the picture (especially in low light levels) for picking up number plates and far off objects, and that it didn't suffer from glare off the windscreen.

I also wanted a motion detect feature for when the car is parked up for long periods. No doubt a cheaper dashcam would satisfy most peoples requirements however.

My dad was so happy with his he is looking to get one for the rear as well - I might do the same. Dashcams are the future I reckon, it won't be long before we are required to have one as standard by insurance companies.

A good article which examines a few options - http://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic/buy ... -reviewed/
Galaxy Grey PZ
20mm H&R Spacers / AEM CAI / Sohn Adaptor / Superstreet N1 Catback / Toyo Decat / Aero Kit / Alloy Fuel Cap / R969 Ignition Kit

EvilDes
Non Member
Non Member

Post by EvilDes »

Thanks Calum. As I opened that link up I realised I had read it and watched all the videos a few weeks back. Can I ask, in regards to the one you have - the power source - it's only minor but I'm not keen on having to constantly use the 12v (I'm OCD and prefer to have that closed off :D ) - but is it easy to effectively hide the cable without making it obvious the interior trim has been messed with to tuck in?

I am liking the look of that one you have, edging toward that one.
Calum
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Calum »

I opted for the hardwire kit as I wasn't a fan of the cables showing, and I needed a constant 12v supply for filming when the car is parked. It uses a fuse in the passenger footwell (I forget which one) which is always live. Alternatively I guess you could run your own 12v supply from the battery with an inline fuse if you didn't want to use the car's loom for a power source.

This is the one I used:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-Car-C ... e+hardwire

It doesn't drain the battery as it only records snippets when it detects motion, although annoyingly it has to be set to motion detect every time you want it activated. If i am only parking the car for a few hours (to go shopping etc.) I leave it recording constantly.

All the wiring tucks away quite easily and was fairly simple to hide out of the way, I tucked it behind the windscreen pillar to get it to the top of the windscreen, there is a good thread on here which helped quite a lot.

The only problem I've had so far is that we couldn't get a 32gb card to work with the camera (a common issue apparently), but a 16gb worked fine and gives more than enough recording capacity.

http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... ng#p992193
Last edited by Calum on Tue May 24, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Calum for the post:
EvilDes (Tue May 24, 2016 4:10 pm)
Galaxy Grey PZ

SeriousSam
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by SeriousSam »

I've got the Nextbase 402G, and so far it's been great. No complaints from me, really easy to set up and use. I imagine the 202 is similar but with lower resolution.
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round
Leefuss
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Leefuss »

I was looking at the specs between the 402 and the 202 and there isn't a lot of difference between them

1) The 402 is 1080p resolution whereas the 202 is 720p
2) The 402 has GPS logging whereas the 202 hasn't
3)The 402 has 140 degree camera angle whereas the 202 is 120 degree
4) The 402 has 4.6 hours recording time whereas the 202 has 4.3 hours

With the 402 currently being £126 and the 202 being £45 (Halfords have an offer of 15% off Nexbase until 5th June) I don't know if the extra £81 between them is justified
EvilDes
Non Member
Non Member

Post by EvilDes »

The 212 seems a decent compromise. That has GPS and 1080p, with 140 degree viewing angle for £59 in Halfrauds at the mo. But for £45, that 202 is a good budget option.

Although I didn't start this topic, thanks for the replies!

Calum - good shout on the hardwire kit, that's a much better option than having the 12v constantly in use.
SeriousSam
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by SeriousSam »

I got mine on a deal, it set me back £99 at the time and came with a free pack of other bits. I agree at full price it's probably not worth it.
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round
Dove66
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Dove66 »

Ideally I want a front and rear camera model with night vision. This excludes the Read Angel Halo but the Nextbase Duo looks ok. Anyone have experience of a 2 camera dash cam?
Crystal White 40th Anniversary
001/400
DJZ
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by DJZ »

An acquaintance has just installed a Blackvue dashcam system with twin HD cameras (one fitted to the windscreen/other fitted to the rear screen) in her Tesla. She's really pleased with the spec of the system and the image quality. It's an expensive system (I think she paid about £300 all in) but quality wise I've not seen anything better and it is accessible via an app on her phone.

http://www.blackvue.eu/Blackvue_DR650GW.php

I realise this system may be overkill for 99% of users who just want a cheap-n-cheerful solution, but it's always good to investigate all the options available to you ;-)
These users thanked the author DJZ for the post:
Dove66 (Fri May 27, 2016 6:14 am)
2006 Evolve - Copper Red Mica

"Upgrades": C-Coils, Magnecor Leads, K&N Panel Filter, S/S strakes & crest, New Diff & Gearbox fluid (MT90), R3 starter motor, CREE LEDs, ToyoSport cat-back exhaust, 4x Vredestein 245/40ZR18
Youngun_PZ
Former Member
Former Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Youngun_PZ »

They are used around eastern europe and russian states for insurance purposes. Theres where those awesome dash shots come from on youtube. They surely reduce premiums to for most companies, doesn't the GPS ones ping when moved (so, if say it was nicked?) another good option.....like an intergrated tracker?

Some decent camera set up have both front and rears but rears only 720p/540p at most but front can be 1080p/720p quality. Recording to one unit.
Past: Rx8 PZ Kitted and Loved
Present: Single Turbo'd '00 Rx7 in Mica White
Future: More power, more track focus.......and a ZX6R I hope
Dove66
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Dove66 »

The Blackvue certainly look nice. I'm surprised that there appears to be little choice for twin camera models though.
001/400
Adrian Flux
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader

Post by Adrian Flux »

Hi,
Please see the below for a complete list of our approved in-car cameras.
http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/dash-cam-insurance/
Regards,
Dan.
Youngun_PZ
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Youngun_PZ »

Was just about to ask that question. 15% isnt bad either. Next premium should be cheap then
EvilDes
Non Member
Non Member

Post by EvilDes »

I bought the NextBase 212 today. Yet to set it up, didn't get chance to go grab a memory card for it (they don't come with it unfortunately). Initial impressions of the product are decent enough, for £59 can't complain at the build quality. Will feedback more when I've had a run with it over the weekend.

Also, my insurance is due for renewal, so I shall be giving Adrian Flux a call tomorrow to see if they can beat my A-Plan renewal quote. Compare the (boggo cars) Market can't, for a lesser policy.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

I have the Nextbase 402G which is great and will run a 64gb card despite the instructions recommending a max of 32gb!
A word of warning on using a DashCam is that if stopped by the police for hooning around or speeding you may well have self incriminating evidence on the camera!
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
Calum
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Calum »

ChrisHolmes2014 wrote:I have the Nextbase 402G which is great and will run a 64gb card despite the instructions recommending a max of 32gb!
A word of warning on using a DashCam is that if stopped by the police for hooning around or speeding you may well have self incriminating evidence on the camera!
Any chance you could share which make/model of card you're using? I've tried 32GB Transcend and Sandisk cards, both of which didn't work with the 512G - it recorded 4 segments then would just stop.

A 16GB works with no issues though :? a known issue apparently.
Galaxy Grey PZ

ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Calum wrote:
ChrisHolmes2014 wrote:I have the Nextbase 402G which is great and will run a 64gb card despite the instructions recommending a max of 32gb!
Any chance you could share which make/model of card you're using? I've tried 32GB Transcend and Sandisk cards, both of which didn't work with the 512G - it recorded 4 segments then would just stop.

A 16GB works with no issues though :? a known issue apparently.
This is the precise camera model and card, maybe it works as it is the fast Xtreme card
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
Calum (Fri May 27, 2016 10:55 am)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
essexsj
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by essexsj »

Halfords 15% discount off all Nextbase dashcams from £40, ends Sunday 5th June: http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash ... 425,171417
Dove66
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Dove66 »

Well, I've gone for the Nextbase Duo. Should be fitted tomorrow pm.
001/400
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Let's talk dashcams

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Your Halfords Link doesn't work #-o

The trouble with most of the Dash Cams is they look too bulky :( and I would want two i.e Front and Back and not being too intrusive in the car :!:
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
Youngun_PZ
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Youngun_PZ »

Do they do or is there a system availble where the cameras are not part of the unit but either IR or cable connection. (Like a reversing camera is to a headunit.)
Could sort out the intrusiveness. Wonder how my rear tint and spoiler would affect view?
Dove66
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Dove66 »

Had the Next Base Duo fitted at Halfords this afternoon. £169 (reduced from £199) plus £30 fitting. The fitting does include the hardwire kit that would cost £20 so effectively the install is £10. Looks really good. I will go through everything tomorrow.
001/400