Tools, tools, tools (was Thumb Ratchets)

Place for discussions about the RX-8
Markl17
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Stormy Blue

Re: Tools, tools, tools (was Thumb Ratchets)

Post by Markl17 »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:25 pm
I ordered a pressure bleeding kit from Amazon the other day which arrived this morning but the tyre valve adapter was faulty and as expected there also was not a suitable cap to fit the brake master cylinder.
I went onto the Amazon website and whilst filling out the returns details the message "You do not need to return this product" flashed up followed by "Your refund has been sent" so whilst I will need to be inventive to get the kit to work I have received free!
Speaking from experience do yourself a favor and put it in the bin.
Mark
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

:whathesaid: unless it fits another vehicle.

The 8's reservoir has a bayonet fitting cap, which won't work with this type of system.
I tried modifying a spare cap and only succeeded in spraying brake fluid all over the engine bay. :oops:

A vacuum based system with at least a 1L tank works much better anyway.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:04 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Lemon
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Lemon »

i bought this for doing my brake bleeding.

it's decent enough however i found that it didn't seal the best on the rear bleed nipples so would draw some air through (this was on new calipers) , however on the fronts with the original calipers there were no issues and it bled very well, i can only think that the OG bleed nipples are finished better and less rough.
Thanks, Stu

Mad as anything
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Milos_Balunovic »

warpc0il wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:05 pm
Watching Ep3 of Vintage Voltage and they're fitting a Tesla small unit into the front of a Mini.

Only problem is it has to go in front to back, which means it has to spin in the opposite direction.

Apparently this isn't an issue for the motor (really???) but the oil pump that keeps the reducing gears lubricated would suck from the bearings and blow into the sump.

They made a neat adaptor plate to fit the oil pump the other way round, which solves that problem, but I think they missed a much more critical issue.

Apart from splitting the cases apart by hammering and levering screwdrivers into the joint, leaving visible damage that's going to compromise the refit, there's also the issue of reversing the torque through that gear train.
Tesla powertrain.jpg

They're helical gears so applied torque will be creating a significant side-thrust. The shaft and gear mounts will have been designed and engineered to resist that thrust in one direction for drive, with only a tiny bit the other way for regen.

Now their drive is reversed and so is the side thrust. That big gear has all those high-tensile bolts and big bearing to stop it lifting, while the small gear behind needed little support as it was pushing down.... #-o

Yes, their solution worked, but I wonder how many miles before it destroys itself.
The Regen is up to 60kW (on 4wd its mostly on front wheels) so not insignificant force at all. But yes not as originally designed:)
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Lemon wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:04 pm
i bought this for doing my brake bleeding.

it's decent enough however i found that it didn't seal the best on the rear bleed nipples so would draw some air through (this was on new calipers) , however on the fronts with the original calipers there were no issues and it bled very well, i can only think that the OG bleed nipples are finished better and less rough.
LOL I have one of these sat in the garage but never thought of it as a brake bleeder.
Rather than mod a cap for the pressure bleeder I have just got I could simple make it a vacuum reservoir as I have a vacuum tester pump or the Pela extractor to charge it.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

Continuing my trend of buying expensive garage tools this year I've recently bought an Autel MaxiCOM MK808Z:

https://www.autel.com/mk2/3990.jhtml

I mainly bought it for my other non-RX8 cars that have more modules than the RX-8, that hide info from the usual OBD scanners. For example, my standard scanners didn't read any trouble codes on our Jaguar XF which has 28 separate modules to scan... but the Autel found 20 DTCs! #-o

It also supports manufacturer specific service plugins. So it's handy for simple things like resetting parking brakes and service reminders etc down to more complex, module specific fiddling that varies for each car. I recommend it for anyone with a modern car.

I'm happy to do any diagnosing on peeps cars at meets and events etc, just ask.