Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: Engine Survey

Post by Elonexxx »

Elonexxx wrote:
Elonexxx wrote:I've just ticked over 58100 [-o< [-o<

8 months on, and 10k miles later, we're on 68.5k.

I do have the second revision Starter though. The RX8 paranoia has eased a little over this year and a half of ownership :)

84k miles now, two sudden non hot starts last week :shock:
I think the time has come :(
- Stuart
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Elonexxx wrote:
Elonexxx wrote:
Elonexxx wrote:I've just ticked over 58100 [-o< [-o<

8 months on, and 10k miles later, we're on 68.5k.

I do have the second revision Starter though. The RX8 paranoia has eased a little over this year and a half of ownership :)

84k miles now, two sudden non hot starts last week :shock:
I think the time has come :(
Sad, Sad times :( Although an opportunity for some portage :twisted:

84k isn't bad, my S1 got to 89k before she refused to start
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

89000 now and its going like a train with comps 1 bar higher than this time last year
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
Vian
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Vian »

So two posts above about failing at 80k+, one that it's going like a train at the same mileage...

Mine is at 82,000 and also running beautifully with all round compression over 7. This makes me think disaster is impending :lol:
"Don't care if they say we are a dying race, I'd rather be here than any other place"
Elonexxx
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Elonexxx »

Vian wrote:So two posts above about failing at 80k+, one that it's going like a train at the same mileage...

Mine is at 82,000 and also running beautifully with all round compression over 7. This makes me think disaster is impending :lol:
I've thought that since I bought it at 54k miles!

I haven't had it comp checked yet, but coincidentally I ran over a brick rubble (lowered quite abit) on the way to the place it then didn't start, but I've checked the plugs/leads as that's the side it went under, not very quietly!

Seems odd just to suddenly not hot start twice :-k
Last edited by Elonexxx on Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Stuart
TheManc
Former Member
Former Member

Post by TheManc »

died at 90k
Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Rotary Potato »

Elonexxx wrote:
Vian wrote:So two posts above about failing at 80k+, one that it's going like a train at the same mileage...

I've thought that since I bought it at 54k miles!

I haven't had it comp checked yet, but coincidentally I ran over a brick rubble (lowered quite abit) on the way to the place it then didn't start, but I've checked the plugs/leads as that's the side it went under, not very quietly!

Seems odd just to suddenly not start twice :-k
Starter motor is on that side as well. Maybe it gave it a knock or partially dislodged a wire?
Huw

2004 Velocity Red 231 - SatNav, parking sensors, sunroof, red/black interior, K&N Typhoon, Toyo backbox, f- :censored: -ked engine - bought Jun 2016 sold Oct 2016
2006 Black PZ - Rotary Revs full Bridgeport Gold rebuild - Toyosport decat - SAI delete - 585R coils - K&N air filter - purchased Oct 2016 - Engine rebuild Dec 2017
Elonexxx
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Elonexxx »

Rotary Potato wrote:
Starter motor is on that side as well. Maybe it gave it a knock or partially dislodged a wire?
Good thinking, but I'd missed out the 'hot' from 'failed to hot start' bit unfortunately :(
- Stuart
Nutwerlal
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey
Has thanked: 0

Post by Nutwerlal »

55 plater 54k no rebuild
Nautam
Titanium Grey 231ps, 55 plate bought 2nd hand in Jan 2009
Running with Protek R, Blue LED interior lighting, yellow brake calipers, rotary shaped radio dial, led sidelights, new coils/leads fitted at 40k, K&N Air Filter, aero wiper blades, Refurbished powder coated super shinny silver stock alloys, uprated starter motor, LED Number Plate & Rear Lights, Alloy Petrol Cap
Peter Cox
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Peter Cox »

2004 model, but not rebuilt.

However the car (recently purchased) has only done 39000 kms.
GregFordyce
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Been thanked: 0

Post by GregFordyce »

2006 model, 192

This car has had 9 previous owners! The owner before last had engine rebuild by Apex around Apr 15 at 52,000. I acquired the car in October (58,500 miles) when the car wouldn't start due to low compression on rear rotor, front wasn't brilliant either. I stripped the engine down to investigate. Apex and side seals were still like new and well within spec. Rotor housings aren't brilliant but the rear housing looked better than the front. The problem was worn and glazed irons. I also found 2 faulty oil injectors which corresponded to the worst wear on the irons. I had the irons ground smooth and rebuilt the engine. It now starts and runs brilliant, hot or cold. I kept the rpm below 5k for the first 500 miles and have also changed the oil. I am also running 200ml premix per tank. It will be interesting to see how long my second "cheap" rebuild lasts.

Some notes about the Apex rebuild. I know they have new owners this year but didn't have a great reputation on this forum under the old owners. Judging by the rebuild that was done on my engine I can see why people complained about them. I found 3 issues, the rear iron had a gouge in the face and shouldn't have been used like that. One of the outer water jacket seals wasn't in the rotor housing groove like it should have been, about an inch was sticking out, how it didn't leak anti-freeze I don't know. And finally one of the small triangular pieces of an apex seal is wedged between a rotor housing and iron. I've left it embedded in the housing with a dab of silicone sealer, removing it would have left a hole and it doesn't seem to be doing any harm. So overall their rebuild was rushed and done without proper care.
CTID
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CTID »

For my orginal Velocity Red (PK53...) it was 73k. Not sure if it got rebuilt or scrapped, was swapped for another by the Mazda dealer that sold it after the approved used warranty failed to pay out. Diagnosed as a broken seal apparently. Compression so low it was stalling when dipping the clutch to change down approaching roundabouts and the like.
Previous: 231 in Velocity Red, 231 in Black, R3 in Silver, Evolve in Copper Red.
Currently Vauxhall Astra GTC VXR :D
Dazza44
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Dazza44 »

60,000 no rebuild 55 plate

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Twistedmonkey
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Twistedmonkey »

The grey one I just picked up has 123,000 miles on it not sure if it's had a rebuild before as no paperwork but running well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rx8 231 velocity red
Rx8 231 black
odinel
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by odinel »

Apex seal failure and rebuild needed at 31k for me... :shock:

Had the Gold rebuild from Rotary Revs.
Motorracingbruce1980
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Motorracingbruce1980 »

Currently at 76k miles, Not had the car long its a 2006 192 with some service history.

Doesn't Look like its had a rebuild at all and need to get compression checked at some point but for the time being it starts hot and cold but does need winding over a bit more when hot.
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

odinel wrote:Apex seal failure and rebuild needed at £31k for me... :shock:

Had the Gold rebuild from Rotary Revs.
Wow that's expensive! :lol:
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
nandoPT
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by nandoPT »

Will be doing a rebuild on 80K. Car had poor maintenance on the plugs and cat was dead (also being replaced)
Davred
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Davred »

Done 57550 miles and until 2 weeks ago started perfectly hot or cold. Bought in Jan 2016 with 49000 miles and had been comp tested in November 2015 at straight 7.2's on both rotors (by Bigpete),
Have run it on Millers 10w40 oils, plus protek R fuel additive on every refill, oils changed (fully) at 55000 miles.Run and peeped it regularly.
Overtaking, up to 5500rpm and sudden loss of revs, rolled to roadside, no re-start.
Managed to restart after towing home, using 2t oil injection to trailing plug ports, started but wouldn't continue!
Nick (13 black rotorsport) came round last week, comp test, NO pressure rotor one and 3 reducing on rotor 2. Two apex seals seen gone on rotor one.
Rebuild or replace? Decisions, decisions !!! :roll: #-o
231 now gone, I'm likely to regret it.
Chilli Red MR2 Roadster[/color]
Daily car MB GLA 4matic amg line
Based in Leamington Spa.
RED's the Thing!!! (Mostly) :thumleft:
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Shagrington »

That is horribly bad luck. :( Personally I'd rebuild (by which I obviously mean pay someone who knows what they are doing to rebuild it for me - assuming the rest of the car is in good nick of course).
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
Ashley1989
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Ashley1989 »

Davred wrote:Done 57550 miles and until 2 weeks ago started perfectly hot or cold. Bought in Jan 2016 with 49000 miles and had been comp tested in November 2015 at straight 7.2's on both rotors (by Bigpete),
Have run it on Millers 10w40 oils, plus protek R fuel additive on every refill, oils changed (fully) at 55000 miles.Run and peeped it regularly.
Overtaking, up to 5500rpm and sudden loss of revs, rolled to roadside, no re-start.
Managed to restart after towing home, using 2t oil injection to trailing plug ports, started but wouldn't continue!
Nick (13 black rotorsport) came round last week, comp test, NO pressure rotor one and 3 reducing on rotor 2. Two apex seals seen gone on rotor one.
Rebuild or replace? Decisions, decisions !!! :roll: #-o
I had something similar mate. Bought an RX8 just over a week ago that had an engine rebuild at LC Rotary 9,000 miles / three years previously, looked after it (premix, oil change, driving it as it should be driven). Was driving flawlessly for a week and now cuts out at idle and will not hot start.

Nick has sent me his compression tester to use but I am fairly sure I know what it will tell me!!!

It is a bit comforting to know that I am not the only one who has experienced rotten luck. I will personally be cutting my losses and buying another car if my worst fears are confirmed, good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Slightly crusty 2004 Velocity Red purchased on 15th April 2017.
Planned work - Sills repaired both sides, D585 coils, Magnecor Leads, NGK Spark Plugs, Bosh Battery, Uprated Starter Motor, New Discs and Pads all to be fitted!
Anyone want to buy a slightly used, 27 year old kidney to fund all of this??!!!!
Davred
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Davred »

"It is a bit comforting to know that I am not the only one who has experienced rotten luck. I will personally be cutting my losses and buying another car if my worst fears are confirmed, good luck with whatever you choose to do."

Thanks for this.
Just got to make my mind up now!
231 now gone, I'm likely to regret it.
Chilli Red MR2 Roadster[/color]
Daily car MB GLA 4matic amg line
Based in Leamington Spa.
RED's the Thing!!! (Mostly) :thumleft:
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

My 2 cents on the matter is that you can get a decent rebuild with some additional work (porting for example) for a fair price from a reputable trader. I use Rotary Revs as an example as they did the work on my old RX8, but with a bit of porting and a rebuild on my 192 it came in just over £2500. The car drove better than when it left the factory, but crucially had been tweaked in terms of thermal bypass for the oil etc. to ensure additional protection for the bearings etc.

OK, it is definitely rotten luck for the engine to let go like it did, but after a rebuild you'll have something that is solid as a rock. In addition to that, if it fails in the following 12,000 miles or year then you're covered by the warranty. Again, Rotary Revs have the best reputation out there for honouring the warranty as well, so you get that peace of mind - you can also extend it to up to 3 years.
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
rdinuk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by rdinuk »

Mines done 66K & no rebuild that I know of, she drives great so far!It has not had a comp test which is on my list of things to do. Next call (The Garage Motherwell). Fingers crossed.
melnificent
Former Member
Former Member

Post by melnificent »

Had mine a fortnight and I can see a rebuild on the horizon. She struggles a bit on a hot start, but so far not had a failure to start.