Cheers Tim
Mherby
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Re: Engine Survey

Post by Mherby »

Changed vote, engine now rebuilt at 91k miles by RRP. Waiting to be fitted back into the car, from what Scott told me it was in spectacularly bad condition and he was surprised it started at all!
Timmy2
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black
Has thanked: 0

Post by Timmy2 »

Hi I have got two PZs one had a rebuild at 65000 and has an unknown maintenance history. I've bought this for Trackdays .

The one i'm using as a road car has been premixed by myself and the previous owner has done 69450 and has not had a rebuild yet.

Cheers Tim
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

Mherby wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:10 pm
Changed vote, engine now rebuilt at 91k miles by RRP. Waiting to be fitted back into the car, from what Scott told me it was in spectacularly bad condition and he was surprised it started at all!
"But I will drive 500 miles,
And I will drive 500 more,
To be the man,
Who can rev his rex some more...." - l'll get my coat....

I've got 250 miles left at <4k RPM to get to the magic 1000 miles. However, my wife keeps wanting me to spend quality time with the family. This usually involves the CX-5 so the rex is sitting there beckoning me to drive it. I've got a kart race in Kent next weekend, that should get me there.... can't wait!
These users thanked the author v-rex for the post:
Mherby (Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:56 am)
Mherby
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Mherby »

Haha yes I've been explaining to my wife I need to drive it everywhere, shunning the very efficient CX3 so I can spend even more money on petrol once its run in.. Trying to convince work we need some parts changed at remote offices so I can claim some of the running in costs back :)
These users thanked the author Mherby for the post:
v-rex (Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:22 am)
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

Mherby wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:57 am
Haha yes I've been explaining to my wife I need to drive it everywhere, shunning the very efficient CX3 so I can spend even more money on petrol once its run in.. Trying to convince work we need some parts changed at remote offices so I can claim some of the running in costs back :)
I tell you what, I am amazed at the fuel consumption so far. I got a streetport with mine from RRP. I've been told that will help a bit, and of course I don't usually drive so conservatively. Lastly it seems I was previously driving with a slightly duff engine.

But at this rate I think I might make back the rebuild costs in fuel within a year. I'd say easily a factor of 1.5 more mpg, maybe even 2 on motorways. Think I would just tickle 200 miles on a tank before on a good journey, and now I reckon I could get 300+. I will try at some point and hopefully join the demi gods on the 300+ thread one day...

Sadly my work is in london, so no driving for work. The rex would actually be cheaper than the tube, but then the parking charges would get ya.....
These users thanked the author v-rex for the post:
Mherby (Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:11 am)
Mherby
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Mherby »

v-rex wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:22 am
Mherby wrote:
I tell you what, I am amazed at the fuel consumption so far. I got a streetport with mine from RRP. I've been told that will help a bit, and of course I don't usually drive so conservatively. Lastly it seems I was previously driving with a slightly duff engine.

But at this rate I think I might make back the rebuild costs in fuel within a year. I'd say easily a factor of 1.5 more mpg, maybe even 2 on motorways. Think I would just tickle 200 miles on a tank before on a good journey, and now I reckon I could get 300+. I will try at some point and hopefully join the demi gods on the 300+ thread one day...
That's good to hear! I was quietly optimistic a better running engine might be a tiny bit more efficient, I was getting 280 miles from a tank with it in 'how is this even running' condition so will see what it's like all sorted out :)
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

Mherby wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:13 am
v-rex wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:22 am
Mherby wrote:

That's good to hear! I was quietly optimistic a better running engine might be a tiny bit more efficient, I was getting 280 miles from a tank with it in 'how is this even running' condition so will see what it's like all sorted out :)
280 .... nice. I've never seen a number like that in all the years I've owned the car.
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Custom

Post by Ollie »

65k~ Miles on the clock. No rebuild to my knowledge. Compression tested it myself today with mid- high 5s on the rear and low to mid 5s on the front. Should keep going for a while yet I hope :)
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071