Dealer Service costs and General Information.

Place for discussions about the RX-8
allday247
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by allday247 »

Just come back after my car had its 3rd service and MOT and the total I had to pay was £201.87 8)

Luckily i had the starter motor replaced thus 2 leading spark plugs were saved and i supplied 2 trailing sparks myself. (there is a massive difference in start times now!)

Oh also they gave me 10% discount :D I could have saved more if i supplied my own oil, doh!! :oops:

Anyway, now i've got 2 spare leading Spark plugs (new). I will sell them if anyone needs them. I bought them from http://www.Sparkplugs.co.uk as suggested. They retail for £43.64 (including VAT) but will sell to anyone for £40 delivered. PM me if interested :)

oh Forgot to mention that this was at the Plymouth branch at Ridgeway Plympton.
pointy
Former Member
Former Member

An update on Gates of Stortford.

Post by pointy »

pointy wrote: He offered an apology - accepted - and promised to refund the money plus the cost of 2 plugs & 'give it a wash'.
The car went in last Friday...

First off - To those who haven't - get the starter motor done, it makes a big difference.

I returned late after the service mgr had gone. There was no refund waiting for me, and the car wasn't washed.

Phoned this morning and was told they will raise a cheque for £50 - I reminded them of the spark plugs....

In all, I don't think that a ford garage pretending to be a mazda garage works, just my humble opinion. :cry:
Lucky7
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Lucky7 »

For my impending 3rd service, Milcars of Watford have quoted me £377.61 inc. vat.

They have also agreed to replace my starter & plugs, and take photos of my rusty sills to obtain Mazda's consent for a warranty claim. I did in fact email them my own photos, although they say Mazda need dealer supplied pictures.

They say the starter upgrade does not include leads.

They claim there is no replacement brake pad for the current squealing ones but that they do shamfer the pads if they are not too badly worn.

Their service includes free collection and drop back which is handy.

They confirmed the £10 Mazda Assist 1 yr extension offer for when my car passes its 3rd birthday in December (I'm personally not opting for the Mazda warranty extension due to wheel and exhaust exclsuions).

I have tentatively booked it in just to reserve a date, but before I go ahead, I will take issue with:

1) I think they have "forgotten" to deduct the price of the plugs from the service that come with the starter upgrade.

2) I don't think they have made allowance for me supplying my own oil (Motul 8100) ... despite putting that in writing.

3) Replacement brake pads. I think I've seen on here somewhere that there IS a known Mazda fix.

Awaiting a quote from Haymill Mazda in Farnham Common.
whathaveidone?
Former Member
Former Member

Post by whathaveidone? »

Just for the record, I had my first service yesterday at Norton Way Mazda in Letchworth. I was very happy with everything: friendly and efficient booking by phone, very good price (including OC discount) and the car was handed back promptly looking extremely shiney inside and out.

They are a bit of a way from me (about 35 mins) but I will certainly use them again.

:D :D :D
ok, seems to be important: 190, Strato Blue, black leather. 29/03/06. Someone keeps stealing my fuel...
HwAoRrDk
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: An update on Gates of Stortford.

Post by HwAoRrDk »

pointy wrote:In all, I don't think that a ford garage pretending to be a mazda garage works, just my humble opinion. :cry:
Hmm, doesn't bode well for me. I just booked my car in there for 2nd service. We'll see if they are up to scratch. :)

Oh, and here's the weird thing... The service receptionist asked me if I needed a courtesy lift anywhere after dropping the car off. 'Yes please', I said, but unfortunately, they 'don't go that far' to where I live. 'How about we collect your car instead?', she asked, to which I agreed. So, they won't drop you off a certain distance, but they will send someone out to collect the car? Bizarre! :-s
Speed-sensitive windscreen wipers project
Need new tyres? Check prices before buying with the club tyre prices service! (Club members only)
Kess
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Kess »

I haven't had any services yet (I've only owned my RX8 for 3 days!) but reading this thread I'm amazed by how inexpensive RX8 servicing seems to be.

In contrast, my wife's Renault Scenic just had a routine 36K service at the local franchised dealer. Total cost was £342 (unfortunately they didn't offer fixed price servicing, so this was a bit of a shock). This figure included a whopping £70 for 5.5 litres of oil - I suppose those high performance 1.6 litre Scenics need particularly exotic oil unlike our common RX8's!

Kess
HwAoRrDk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by HwAoRrDk »

Well, just got my car back this afternoon from Gates Mazda in Stortford.

Final bill for 2nd year service was £199. A little more than I expected, but not too extortionate. Not sure what the breakdown of the costs is, as their invoice hasn't costed each individual items, but the list of consumables/parts was as follows:

- Shell Formula E Engine Oil
- Oil filter
- Sump plug washer
- Screen wash, 500ml
- Filter, cooling unit
- Brake cleaner
- Brake fluid

Not sure what kind of oil 'Formula E' is. As far as I was aware, Shell's brand name for its oils was Helix (as that's what I see on shelves, and the VW dealer for my old GTI used to fill with Helix Plus semi-synth). A bit of Googling led me to the fact that Shell brand their oils in the US as 'FormulaShell'. Perhaps they meant that? Well, anyway, so long as it's the right stuff... :)

I had mentioned my corroding strakes when I booked the car in. The pick-up guy had a look at them and told me that they will need to take some pictures and send them off to Mazda for warranty approval. :( No mention of it when I picked the car up, although from the glance I got at the notes section of the service administrator's own print-out it was highlighted in orange, so I guess they are on it.

No response to my voiced concerns of 'difficult starting' ( ;) ), so I guess no new starter motor for me then... It is annoying at times, but I can live with it.

Second year body inspection section in service record book hadn't been filled out. And, finally, car had not been washed. (In fact, it had a fresh helping of guano splattered on it!) Disappointed with that, as these days, it's basically a given for service by main dealers. :(

So, not over the moon, but not dissatisfied. One word summary: 'Meh'. :P
Need new tyres? Check prices before buying with the club tyre prices service! (Club members only)
HwAoRrDk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by HwAoRrDk »

I take it back! Apparently they have done something with the starter motor. Every start-up I've done since the service (apart from, strangely, the initial collection from the dealer, which was the usual chuntery operation) has been quick and immediate. The starter spins noticably faster now. Excellent! :D

Doesn't excuse why they didn't tell me anything about it, though. Am I supposed to be psychic? Or are they relying on people eyeballing the service advisor's notes sheet for themselves? I suppose I should have asked, but instead assumed their silence was indicative of non-acknowledgement of the problem... :roll:
mmltonge
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mmltonge »

Went to MKG3000 in Twickenham today for 2nd year service, seemed very knowledgable and were extremly efficient and friendly. got the 10% club discount, service manager was very interested in finding out more about the club and such, tried to tell as much as I could with my limited knowledge.

Had the following...

New Starter Motor (warranty)
Painted Brake Discs (warranty)
New Pollen Filter
Brake Fluid
Washer after oil draining
Body panel inspection - 3 dents, none of which I can see :?:
general consumables too

Provided own oil, they give cars full valet service which was nice and my car was getting a bit messy inside.

Total cost, £200.89

Much cheaper than expected having been at VW before where it cost me £350 to service a Polo
steveo
Former Member
Former Member

Post by steveo »

I am a very happy man, my search is over, I have finally found a decent dealer in the London area, one which I would like to recommend.

The following is an account of what has happened during the third service, the story will go across four dealers in the London area as I searched for the best service and price. The following will name and state the facts only, hence you can make up your own mind upon the quality, service and price.

An important starting fact- my car was the WB at prodrive that was driven by various instructors due to "something being very soft in the suspension" - "you should get mazda to look at that asap" was the suggestion from two professional test drivers.

here goes....

4/12/06- booked in with mazda potters bar for third service, soft suspension to be look at, head light levelling system to be checked.
6/ 12/06 quoted a total of £950 on top of service to complete things including, new brake pads front £189, rear brake pads £149 plus the replacement of the rear discs £425 due to light lipping and mild corrosion.... plus changing a wiper for £49. quoted.

6/12/06 Rung and posted on here for advice, spoke to mazda romford, edgware rd and naymills (greenford). The later came out as the cheapest to fit the brake pads (labour only- mintex pads brought via this site for £95), only charging £37 labour to fit fronts and then £37 for the rear.

6/12/06 Collected car from potters bar, after stating I did not want them to charge me for the extra work suggested. They fitted a new starter motor, but did not reduce the 3Rd service cost.

They also stated that after giving a examination on the ramp and on the road could not find any issues with the suspension. With regard to the headlight levelling they said they had to wait for parts which could be 4 weeks.

14/12/06 naymills mazda in greenford, accepted the cars to fit my brakes, but did point out the mintex pads were best fitted with backing pads (part F1Y12649Z and F1Y3329ZB- £35 total). They also agreed with the potters bar dealership regarding the rear discs but suggested the best thing would be to machine the discs to get the best results and that replacement would be way over the top.

They also found that the rear shock absorbers were leaking oil which was spreading to the centre of the dust cover, the link control for the headlights required replacement and also picked up a knocking noise from he front which was also sorted with out even a please. All of the suspension and headlight work was carried out in the two days the garage had the car under warranty.

Picked up the car yesterday 16/12/06 and was charged 245 for the brakes, machining and parts to fit the brakes. The car had been cleaned very well, the inside had been hoovered and cleaned. The brake callipers and surrounding area had also been repainted with out even a please. The wheels now look great again. I was picked up form the train station and offered the courtesy car upon my next visit.

I can not recommend the dealership highly enough, not only was the service good (made me feel like a top customer) but the cost was fair-almost half the potters bar price but the quality of mechanics make me feel like I am not handing my car over to a bunch of monkeys.
steveo
Former Member
Former Member

Post by steveo »

drunk I agree.

All the suspension issues sorted under warranty.

steve
Snake
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Snake »

Just had my 3rd service + MOT all passed 8)

A grand total of £184.93
Supplied own oil ,air filter ,screenwash and spark plugs.+10% discount

Excellent service :D
fez
Former Member
Former Member

Post by fez »

Just had my quote for 3rd year service at Mazda Sunwin Derby who quoted £347+vat They offered to knock £27 off for supplying my own oil.
Also having my starter motor upgrade as it struggles at times,From what i have read on here there are 2 leading sparkplugs already supplied with the starter motor through warranty.
Dont know how much they will knock off for that.
Sunwin have a few branches through the East midlands,has anybody else used them?.
Juey
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Black Cherry

Post by Juey »

steveo,

Going to pick mine up from Naymills now.

Again, discs needed machining (fronts and backs) plus loads of the normal warranty stuff.(starter kit, squeeky seats/brakes etc etc)

Another dealer tried to sell me new pads and discs all round (£900) :shock: :evil: (Colindale)
Black Cherry Mica
JDM Evolve. 192 6 spd manual from auto
I can explain it, but I can't understand it for you.
Tomsk
Former Member
Former Member

3rd Service

Post by Tomsk »

A very happy bunny/womble here having had my 3rd Service and MOT pass yesterday.

PCM Upgrade, Starter motor and leading Plug modification, new alloy wheels all fixed under warranty. Trailing plugs not replaced - deducted from standard cost of service.

Four new tyres I had ordered directly from Mytyres (with RXOC discount) had been delivered direct so were put straight onto the new alloys.

Total bill (excluding tyres of course, but including MOT, body inspection and one new wiper blade - I had got the other one and fitted it myself last week) was £289.69 - a couple of hundred less than what I had set aside as a slush fund.

Car had been washed and valeted, and now goes like the proverbial substance off a shovel.

I was lent a Mazda3 as a courtesy car as a last minute arrangement.

Can't recommend TW Whites of Milford and the charming Lizzie in the Service Department highly enough, they will certainly be retaining my business !
S/Silver, 192ps, b. Jan 2004 - 22,000 miles, 1 mod only (= oil cooler protection grilles), 2 ProDrives, 12 meets. Still feels like a new car !
dirtyleeds
Club Member
Club Member

Post by dirtyleeds »

Good news & Good to have you back Tomsk :wink:
Former Club Secretary
Strato Blue 230 with ALL the optional extra's plus Hoop Spoiler, Borla Exhaust, MazdaSpeed CAI, RP High Flow CAT, RB Grills, and Fully Uprated Brakes - Gone but not forgotten!!
Born a northerner, always be a northerner - just came down south to take your jobs, money and women! :D
The G Man
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by The G Man »

After PCM upgrade and with first service looming, I asked the cost of the service today;

1. Supplying own oil,

2. Having Borla fitted at same time,

3. £160,

The supply of my own oil, thanks Opie Oils, took £50 off the price. Will call another dealer tomorrow for a second quote :wink:
2006 - 2010, 231BB, Gone But NEVER Forgetten
2010 - 2013 370Z GT Pack
2013- 2016, 370Z Nismo
2016 - present,Ford Mustang 5.0 GT, Ruby Red,FRPP Touring by Borla,FRPP Track Handling Pack,FRPP Strut Brace,Custom Plenum and coil covers by RPI,20/23mm spacers,Super Snake Stripe By BigWorm Graphics,American MuscleSplashGuards,DRL LED, Steeda Bonnet struts.
psp
Former Member
Former Member

Post by psp »

Second service was done when i got the car used from a Mazda dealer. Am pretty sure I have not had the starter upgrade and want it before the warranty expires in 8 months. Will a good deler do the warranty work without a service? Can anyone recommend a good dealer in Essex (Southend area or further if neccesary).
Thanks.
Silver,230 bhp, leather, sat nav, sunroof, strakes and crest. For me.
Very dull Renualt Grand Scenic . 2.0 16v. For the family.
barry
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by barry »

hi im new on this site, i was wondering how i stand. ive just brought a rx8 privately and noticed the wheels have a bit of rust on 2 of the wheels i have over a year left on the warranty will mazda change them for me?
I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous
RotaryMC
Former Member
Former Member

Re: 3rd Service

Post by RotaryMC »

Tomsk wrote:Car had been washed and valeted, and now goes like the proverbial substance off a shovel.

Can't recommend TW Whites of Milford and the charming Lizzie in the Service Department highly enough, they will certainly be retaining my business !
I can't believe how the different branches of TW Whites vary. I just picked up mine from TW Whites Byfleet after its 3rd service and MOT (plus a few bits of warranty work). Price for the service alone was £425 :shock: Bodywork inspection was extra at £17 :x the car wasn't cleaned, in fact the wheels were covered in grease where the mechanic had been greasing the brakes to stop squealing. Oh, and they refused to do a starter upgrade under warranty unless the starter was actually broken. I think thats the last TW Whites will be getting of my business, I've had enough...
Now in a Lexus IS 250 SE after 4 great years in my:
Mazda RX-8 Titanium Grey 231
04 Reg
Racing Beat exhaust and grills, Strakes, Crest, Black Calipers with Decals
RX8Head
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by RX8Head »

barry wrote:hi im new on this site, i was wondering how i stand. ive just brought a rx8 privately and noticed the wheels have a bit of rust on 2 of the wheels i have over a year left on the warranty will mazda change them for me?
Just take it in you should have no problems at all having them changed I think some people are now on their 3rd set :roll: .
Chris :D
RX8 Stealth Fighter Full list of mods complete with pics can be seen here 8), temporarily/possible permanently off the road due to an off at Brands Hatch :( .
Now rocking an SC VX220 :D .
Part of your friendly moderating team helping the keep the forum tidy, if you have any issues then feel free to drop me a pm and I'll do my best to help :wink: .
DogsnutsEA
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Re: 3rd Service

Post by DogsnutsEA »

RotaryMC wrote:I can't believe how the different branches of TW Whites vary. I just picked up mine from TW Whites Byfleet after its 3rd service and MOT (plus a few bits of warranty work). Price for the service alone was £425 :shock: Bodywork inspection was extra at £17 :x the car wasn't cleaned, in fact the wheels were covered in grease where the mechanic had been greasing the brakes to stop squealing. Oh, and they refused to do a starter upgrade under warranty unless the starter was actually broken. I think thats the last TW Whites will be getting of my business, I've had enough...
I too had my brakes sorted at Byfleet (had new pads and copper grease put on)... And yes I was also left with grease and everything over my alloys... Strange how you couldn't get a starter motor done when I managed to get the Airbag covers on the seat sides replaced under warranty.
All service costs are more expensive then other dealers as well (no club discount available) and they did not wash my car either when it was in for its first service... nor did they notice the corrosion on my rear wing struts during the bodywork inspection (yet to speak to them about that). Only reason why I go there is because I work just at the other end of the road and is very convienient. Although I have seen cars getting washed there before. Might have to go to Milford to get future work done. They seem to have some good service.

The car being valetted and washed... is that something you have to ask for? If you did they would prob charge you for it or something stupid... lol
James (Former Club Tart (now owned by Hypothermia)/Annual Show 'n' Shine Winner 2006/Prodrive AutoTest Champ 2007)

MazdaSpeed 230 Strato with Grey Trim, DoB 22-03-06. Borla Exhaust, GunMetal Grey Strakes, Chrome MazdaSpeed Badges, Black MazdaSpeed Rear Brake-light Decal, Rear Parking Sensors, Leather Handbrake, Leather Front/Rear Console Lids, Illuminated Gearknob, RED Interior LEDs, RED LED Puddle Lights, LED Sidelights, Xenon Fog Lights. Now with MazdaSpeed GunMetal Grey Alloys.
Ancient Mariner
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Ancient Mariner »

I'd have to check in the book, but isn't having the car washed listed in the service schedule? If so, and they are using Mazda standard hours, then you are paying for it.
2005 Velocity Red 230ps RX-8 for cold dull days and a 1997 Classic Red 1.8 Mk1 MX-5 for hot sunny days!
RotaryMC
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RotaryMC »

No I don't think it's officially part of the service, just something that any good dealer would do to keep your business.

I've going to give TW at Milford a try next time, or maybe Gibsons at Basingstoke
Now in a Lexus IS 250 SE after 4 great years in my:
Mazda RX-8 Titanium Grey 231
04 Reg
Racing Beat exhaust and grills, Strakes, Crest, Black Calipers with Decals
RX8Head
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by RX8Head »

.:thumright: Hi just thought I let you all know just took my 8 in for it's first service at Roy Chapman in Berkhamstead and they were great. The car was with them for just over an hour and came out washed and with a the left over oil in the passagers footwell about a litre. They couldn't do the PCM update as their computer was away being repaired but will ring me when they get it back to book it in.
I had't got a recall notice from Mazda so rang them Mazda UK when I got home only to find out that they had never had their computers update with me as the new owner even though it was bought as a pre-reged one from a Mazda dealer (Potters Bar Mazda) guess you can't trust anyone ](*,) .

Oh and it only came to £122.58 including the oil and that was with out a discount as they don't do one :( and yes I did ask if they would look at doing one but no joy :cry:.
Last edited by RX8Head on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris :D
RX8 Stealth Fighter Full list of mods complete with pics can be seen here 8), temporarily/possible permanently off the road due to an off at Brands Hatch :( .
Now rocking an SC VX220 :D .
Part of your friendly moderating team helping the keep the forum tidy, if you have any issues then feel free to drop me a pm and I'll do my best to help :wink: .