What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Place for discussions about the RX-8
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by PaulAV »

A good mod would be an updated oil pressure regulator(easy to install yourself, but I'm sure Mick would fit it if you had it ready) then a remap with increased omp output to help those apex seals and cold start limiter (RRP did this for me, also gained a little power and better fuel economy)
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
sztriki (Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:23 pm)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Also RRP coils are as good if not better than BHR coils
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
sztriki
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by sztriki »

PaulAV wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:06 pm
A good mod would be an updated oil pressure regulator(easy to install yourself, but I'm sure Mick would fit it if you had it ready) then a remap with increased omp output to help those apex seals and cold start limiter (RRP did this for me, also gained a little power and better fuel economy)
Thanks, I'm sold on this already! I know Aston has his own at ER, will ask Mick if they do their own. If not I can always order from elsewhere. I had a stage 1 ECU flash at ER which included the increase of the oil metering pump delivery rate but not had the regulator itself changed.

PaulAV wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:07 pm
Also RRP coils are as good if not better than BHR coils
Yea, read great stuff about those. If I haven't had the BHR coild already I would go for the RRP ones for sure.
These users thanked the author sztriki for the post:
PaulAV (Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:37 am)
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by 79398 »

1 coat of self etch
3 coats of Black
2 coats of Lacquer
Fit them later weather permitting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

Come make up your mind. Is it a PZ or a ZP? :D

Looking good :thumleft:
These users thanked the author V8 Power for the post:
SmuttyHutty (Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:51 pm)
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Only a small thing today, cleaned, polished and cleaned again my windscreen with auto finesse's crystal and vision as I can't stand dirty windscreens, oh and also reset fuel trims and ESS after cleaning MAF and swapping ESS yesterday
Last edited by PaulAV on Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V8 Power (Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:32 pm)
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 79398 »

V8 Power wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:49 pm

I have dropped one of the Z's twice😱
It's on its third session of paint, dont think it likes black.
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

V8 Power wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:49 pm

its neither, obviously it's s ZPPZ :d
These users thanked the author qwakers for the post:
V8 Power (Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:24 pm)
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

Took the R3 to The Performance Shop for its MOT today. It only just scraped through the emissions test, despite being nice and warm. A bit surprising considering my 200 cell cat and coils/leads only have 1k or so miles on them.
2321EAA3-D2B2-4847-9CD1-1D8EFA1910E8.jpeg
Good on TPS for taking the time to get it through. Next time, I’ll do a tank without premix, run through a bottle of cataclean and do an oil change in the days before MOT.

Annoyingly, I noticed that one of my wheels had been curbed when filling up straight after the MOT :(. I am super OCD about avoiding curbs as I hate curb rash and I know how exposed the 19s are with OEM spec stretched tyres.
01F31426-BA57-446C-A3C9-973D6EE55995.jpeg
I assumed it had been done on the MOT ramp, but when I took the car back to TPS to look into this, there were no lips on the ramp. And, to be honest, the road to TPS was very scabby, so I guess this could have happened on a pot hole :-k.

I guess this gives me an excuse to get the wheels powered coated in Spirit R-style bronze/gold, now. TPS quoted a reasonable £300 for the job.
B969BAE3-8B8F-4730-9852-3723085764F6.jpeg
When I get round to it, I’ll replace my tyres with 245/35/R19 (Michelins) too, which will protect the rims a little better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2009 R3 in sparkling black
Racing Beat REVi ram air duct
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
Racing Beat header / mid pipe
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Carbotech XP10 pads / Mintex discs / Motul RBF600
Russell speed bleeders
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

1990 Eunos Roadster V-Spec in BRG
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller »

R1DSO wrote:Took the R3 to The Performance Shop for its MOT today. It only just scraped through the emissions test, despite being nice and warm. A bit surprising considering my 200 cell cat and coils/leads only have 1k or so miles on them.
2321EAA3-D2B2-4847-9CD1-1D8EFA1910E8.jpeg
Good on TPS for taking the time to get it through. Next time, I’ll do a tank without premix, run through a bottle of cataclean and do an oil change in the days before MOT.

Annoyingly, I noticed that one of my wheels had been curbed when filling up straight after the MOT :(. I am super OCD about avoiding curbs as I hate curb rash and I know how exposed the 19s are with OEM spec stretched tyres.
01F31426-BA57-446C-A3C9-973D6EE55995.jpeg
I assumed it had been done on the MOT ramp, but when I took the car back to TPS to look into this, there were no lips on the ramp. And, to be honest, the road to TPS was very scabby, so I guess this could have happened on a pot hole :-k.

I guess this gives me an excuse to get the wheels powered coated in Spirit R-style bronze/gold, now. TPS quoted a reasonable £300 for the job.
B969BAE3-8B8F-4730-9852-3723085764F6.jpeg
When I get round to it, I’ll replace my tyres with 245/35/R19 (Michelins) too, which will protect the rims a little better.
What Cat is it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by v-rex »

R1DSO wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:37 pm
Going for PS4's?

Surprised at the cat. Is that the racing beat cat ( Magnaflow i think it is? ) or did you fit another into the midpipe?
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Little things can add up to emission issues, air filter, MAF sensor and eccentric shaft sensor can all make a difference to emissions as can vacuum leaks(vacuum hoses have an annoying habit of splitting or swelling all of which can allow unmetered air into the system) so upsetting the delicate balance. The basics are often overlooked.
R1DSO (Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:15 pm)
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

mrspiller wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:46 pm
What Cat is it ?
It’s the Magnaflow 200 cell Clive welds into the Racing Beat race mid pipe.
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

v-rex wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:58 pm

Going for PS4's?

Surprised at the cat. Is that the racing beat cat ( Magnaflow i think it is? ) or did you fit another into the midpipe?
Yep, will most probably go for Pilot Sports 4s. Really should have done it by now, but my time, energy and project car funds have been funnelled into the Eunos I’ve been restoring, And, with all this crap weather and salt on the roads, the RX-8 has mostly been sitting snug in its garage!

A small part of me is still leaning towards the Pilot Cup 2s for their track day resilience. But, I’m not sure I want to give up the wet grip of the PS4s. Especially given the car will spend 90%+ of its miles on the road, not the track.

And, yes, it’s the RB race mid pipe with the Magnaflow 200 cell cat. I’d be lying if I said the car fumes didn’t still smell – not as bad as a decat, but not a million miles off. They’re bad enough that I switch the climate control to circulate internal air when in slow moving traffic, so maybe I should’ve have been surprised by the MOT findings :shock:.
These users thanked the author R1DSO for the post:
v-rex (Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:45 pm)
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

PaulAV wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:11 pm
Little things can add up to emission issues, air filter, MAF sensor and eccentric shaft sensor can all make a difference to emissions as can vacuum leaks(vacuum hoses have an annoying habit of splitting or swelling all of which can allow unmetered air into the system) so upsetting the delicate balance. The basics are often overlooked.
Hmm, OK. This is interesting. The car has a new K&N panel + ram air duct with minimal miles on them and I cleaned out the whole throttle intake and MAF with CRC.

But, I haven’t checked the eccentric shaft sensor. And, I guess there could be a vacuum leak. There has always been a slight chirping noise audible when blipping the throttle stationary. Sounds like a slipping belt, but I replaced and tightened those as well as dressing them with belt spray.

Out of interest, how would one find a potential vacuum leak? I’ve just purchased a mechanic’s stethoscope (to help diagnose an MX-5 belt issue). Perhaps this is a tool I could use :-k.
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Well to check for a vacuum leak you can spray a little volatile liquid around the hoses, any vacuum leak will draw it in causing a change in engine note(obviously safety precautions should be taken) you could just physically inspect connections(pulling on hoses looking for cracks) I know the service nipple's on the upper intake manifold love to leak(there are either caps over them or houses connected to a T-piece, if the vfad has been removed for your intake make sure it's vacuum hose has been capped. You could check your air/fuel ratio and your long and short term fuel trims. I know new k&n panel filters like to shed a little oil when first installed so it's worth cleaning the MAF after a period of time(also check the MAF readings, the volume of air and the intake temperature) a lot of checks can be carried out with a simple obd dongle and an app like torque
R1DSO (Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:21 pm)
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

PaulAV wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:45 pm
Well to check for a vacuum leak you can spray a little volatile liquid around the hoses, any vacuum leak will draw it in causing a change in engine note(obviously safety precautions should be taken) you could just physically inspect connections(pulling on hoses looking for cracks) I know the service nipple's on the upper intake manifold love to leak(there are either caps over them or houses connected to a T-piece, if the vfad has been removed for your intake make sure it's vacuum hose has been capped. You could check your air/fuel ratio and your long and short term fuel trims. I know new k&n panel filters like to shed a little oil when first installed so it's worth cleaning the MAF after a period of time(also check the MAF readings, the volume of air and the intake temperature) a lot of checks can be carried out with a simple obd dongle and an app like torque
Thanks for the pointers. The VFAD is indeed removed (and capped). The hoses look, to the casual eye, in good shape, but will do some more digging when I next have the rotary out of the garage.

I’ve got an OBDLink MX+ plugged into the car, but running iOS phones and have yet to really get to grips with ForScan etc beyond the basics and error code clearing.

Speaking of which, the O2 sensor behind the cat frequently triggers my CEL. I had to clear that code before today’s MOT :lol:.
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

Having done a little more research, it looks like I may “need” one of these in my tool box to help identify vacuum leaks. Added bonus that it’ll make the job of bleeding the clutch slave cylinder (which is such a PITA to get to on our cars) a little easier, negating the necessity to open and close the bleed valve repeatedly:

K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

R1DSO wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:37 pm
Took the R3 to The Performance Shop for its MOT today. It only just scraped through the emissions test, despite being nice and warm. A bit surprising considering my 200 cell cat and coils/leads only have 1k or so miles on them.
The fast idle test is a challenge for the 8 because the PCM doesn't like holding revs up, in neutral.

Just before the test ends, the PCM will drop the revs, especially if the operator waited too long before starting the timer.

It then depends on the operator not to try and catch the revs on the throttle - otherwise the test will fail due to a sudden blip.

I used to insist that one particular guy at my garage did the test, as he could get good results every time, while it was 50:50 with any of the other guys using the same kit on the same car.

Not a problem here in NI as they only do the idle emissions and not fast-idle
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
R1DSO (Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:41 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

I take it there is a neutral detect switch in the system, could this be disconnected easily for the mot, would it have an effect?
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

The PCM is looking for many factors to determine "load" and is also looking for the transition of that switch state, along with the clutch switch, so having it disconnected might cause unexpected issues, like it not idling when on no-load.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
PaulAV (Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:18 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Washed and photographed YA56 and posted for sale adverts on here, all over Facebook and on Autotrader.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:06 pm)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
sztriki
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by sztriki »

Had a general checkup (basically asked for an MOT, even though the real one is only due in May), wanted to make sure everything is fine before I commit to serious engine works. She flew through the checks, the only thing that was noted is general scabs and surface rust on the underside, nothing that would fail an MOT, but I have a full rust treatment booked already so that side will be sorted. Once we are allowed to go out a bit more I'll drive to HME and see what we need to do to get the girl in tip-top shape. Happy days.
Last edited by sztriki on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

I think you are spot on getting it done before the nasty rust gets hold.
Too many people have lost good RX8’s to the dreaded tin worm.
These users thanked the author V8 Power for the post:
sztriki (Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:03 pm)
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 79398 »

Had a road named after the the breed👍😎