What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Place for discussions about the RX-8
tyler82
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by tyler82 »

Pretty sure it has to be longer than 6 months Ian. I think the Irish government would have this loophole pretty well closed off by now.

I would love to see the end of VRT - it is a disgrace. If it was ended tomorrow, I'd buy a GTR and get a BMW 335D as my daily!!! The 8 would be kept too :mrgreen:
Paul

RR Platinum Rebuild, Lightened Rotors and a Half Bridge, plus many other mods.

Check out http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=66822
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

kopite72 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:01 pm
Those " garage addresses" Dave are handy for us down south. It used to be a way of avoiding paying the VRT if you could prove that a car you bought in the UK was residing at a UK address for 6 months or more then you were exempt from the VRT, not sure if this is the case still tho.

If I buy a car in the UK can I leave it at yours for 6 or so months?!! I'll throw a few bob your way :lol:
I thought Owen was trying that after Buttercup failed the champagne test, but it just took a while to organise transport back to Limerick ;)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Used to be 6 months years ago Paul, my sister was training as an oncology nurse years ago in Hammersmith hospital, she bought a starlet and was told if she kept it at her address in Hammersmith in the UK she wouldn't have to pay any vrt. Now that was almost 30 years ago so I'm sure it's changed since then but changed to what I don't know.

I'll make enquiries tho and even if it's longer than 6 months I'd still go about maybe asking one of the fine folk on here if it would be possible to leave it at someone's address for a period of time with a payment of course to said person for allowing me to do so.... Ill make enquiries next week as to the law on it...Like you said Paul, if the VRT was abolished the used car market in the UK would receive a nice boost but think about it logically for a minute, there's a lot of vested interested groups that stand to lose big time if it is ever abolished.

The govt made on the region of 500M last year from VRT, not bad for a tax that's illegal in the eyes of the European courts so it's not in their interest to have it abolished, also the car dealerships would get absolutely crucified here if it was abolished, why would anyone here want to buy cars from them when you could travel to the UK and get a far better car with a much higher spec than the sh*t boxes we get here. Lots of lobby groups wanting It be kept dude...
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

tyler82 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:12 pm
Pretty sure it has to be longer than 6 months Ian. I think the Irish government would have this loophole pretty well closed off by now.

I would love to see the end of VRT - it is a disgrace. If it was ended tomorrow, I'd buy a GTR and get a BMW 335D as my daily!!! The 8 would be kept too :mrgreen:
completely agree about VRT its an utter nonsense as cars with higher fuel consumption already pay more tax by virtue of using more fuel ( which is also taxed)
there was a bit of news a year or so ago how the government was complaining about the lack of fuel revenue and VRT revenue after several years of weighting the system against 5 ltr range rovers we the car buying public had selfishly switched to more economic vehicles
as a consequence they had lost over a billion in fuel revenue compared to 5 years previous......

my heart bleeds for them of course
These users thanked the author 350matt for the post:
tyler82 (Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:06 pm)
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Phil Bate »

warpc0il wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:38 pm
I thought Owen was trying that after Buttercup failed the champagne test, but it just took a while to organise transport back to Limerick ;)
I, er.. what... is that some sort of code? :-k :scratch:
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Lol phil, it's one of the guys on the Irish rotary OC, his yellow 7 AKA buttercup was having a bit of bother so he did a champagne test...
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

Noticed I was slowly loosing coolant so added some UV dye to the system and then went for a hard drive earlier in the week, used a uv torch and found the source :?
20171007_122536.jpg
Going to use a brass brush to clean it away (and check the rest of the hoses) this afternoon then add some radiator flush to just the radiator whilst I've got all the hoses removed as a precaution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

kopite72 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:21 pm
Lol phil, it's one of the guys on the Irish rotary OC, his yellow 7 AKA buttercup was having a bit of bother so he did a champagne test...
Yep, Owen was one of the many guys that came up from the Republic for the Kirkistown Mazda 50th Anniversary Event back in July and stayed the night before at our place (spare rooms, plus a temporary campsite on the front lawn).

His yellow RX7 aka Buttercup had overheated on the long drive up and again in the morning, on the short run to the circuit.
He, his lady and and their friend also stayed over with us the night after the event and we investigated the overheating in the morning.

The champagne test is where you stand a bottled upside down in the thermostat housing, part filled with water, then start the engine.
As the engine warms then the water level in the bottle should rise slightly.
If combustion gasses are leaking into the cooling system then these will appear in the bottle and rise like champagne bubbles.

In Buttercups case it was more like a geyser test, as huge bubbles erupted through the water,

As we switched the engine off, so the water/coolant level in the bottle dropped dramatically (which is unusual) and we knew that the internal coolant seals had failed, which had previously been over-pressuring the system and blowing half the coolant into the overflow tank, which then couldn't flow back when the engine cooled, but the coolant from our champagne test had actually been drawn into the combustion chamber on shut-down.

Long story short, they had to leave Buttercup here for a few weeks while recovery was arranged - that's a whole other saga - and the following strip-down and rebuild confirmed the coolant seal failure.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Goobie
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Goobie »

Removed and split open my glove box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wiggles
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by wiggles »

Set it on fire
IMG_20171007_151455.jpg
These users thanked the author wiggles for the post:
Azimuth (Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:46 pm)
Project thread Galaxy grey 231 - Street Port, Tein coilovers, decat, D585's, Cobra Catback whatever 9j wheels aren't broken at the moment and a massive wing
xamtex
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by xamtex »

i changed the oil and filter,gearbox and axle oils and regassed the aircon and a bit of a checkover while it was up on stands. only things ive found so far is a couple of exhaust clamps need replacing.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

xamtex wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:40 am
...a couple of exhaust clamps need replacing.
Don't be tempted to bolt the clamp at the rear of the cat, solid. This is a swivel joint with a doughnut seal held together with springs.

This allows the powertrain (engine/gearbox) and catback exhaust to move separately, otherwise you get really nasty NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) until something breaks under the additional strain.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
xamtex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by xamtex »

the clamp on the back box to pipe is missing and 1 of the tailpipe clamps has broken.
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by SeeJay »

Treated it to a bottle,since the tank was down to below a ¼ ..
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads
Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rotary Potato »

Broke it. :oops: :shock: :roll: :pale:

Maybe ...

Feels a bit terminal, but we'll see if the experts here can guide me through some troubleshooting.
Huw

2004 Velocity Red 231 - SatNav, parking sensors, sunroof, red/black interior, K&N Typhoon, Toyo backbox, f- :censored: -ked engine - bought Jun 2016 sold Oct 2016
2006 Black PZ - Rotary Revs full Bridgeport Gold rebuild - Toyosport decat - SAI delete - 585R coils - K&N air filter - purchased Oct 2016 - Engine rebuild Dec 2017
Goobie
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Goobie »

SeeJay wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:04 pm
Treated it to a bottle,since the tank was down to below a ¼ ..
Love the fuel cap sticker SeeJay!
Azimuth
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Azimuth »

Ran a bottle of Cataclean through, which was a decidedly uneventful affair. To be honest I was expecting clouds of smoke and I was looking forward to having my own smoke screen!

While running my tank as low as I dare I was taken aback when I lost power at 7000rpm while accelerating up a reasonable incline. This happened twice about 4 miles from the nearest petrol station, which put me on edge slightly. Especially with a massive uphill section between me and fuel! I'd only done 20 or so miles since the warning light popped on. I think I'll take a jerry can next time I try that! #-o

She also got a bit of T-Cut scratch remover. Which is "AMAZING" for brief periods. After application I literally couldn't see where the scratch had been. Unfortunately 2 hours later it's as if you hadn't done anything at all. I think I may need to read up on how to do this properly! I do hope it's me being a spanner and not reading the instructions, otherwise it's rather disappointing. :(
Rotary Potato wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:12 pm
Broke it. :oops: :shock: :roll: :pale:

Maybe ...
Naaaahhh! Sending positive vibes your way.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Vaseline also works for short-term scratch relief* and it was a used car salesmans trick to make scratches disappear long enough for you to drive off the forecourt. Works even better on modern cars with a clearcote - allegedly.

*No Nigel - that's not what I meant [-X
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
Azimuth (Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:50 pm) • 13Black (Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:12 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Bex
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by Bex »

Drove mine off the drive (for the work men to get to the house) then drove it back on the drive...some reason the revs behaved today, strange car... Was nice to drive it briefly.
Bex Airbrushing
tyler82
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by tyler82 »

I hope you haven't flooded it!!!!! :shock:
Paul

RR Platinum Rebuild, Lightened Rotors and a Half Bridge, plus many other mods.

Check out http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=66822
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

not today, but Monday (sorry a little slow on the update) i took a drive in the country (ok so i live in Cornwall so that's not hard lol) a good fast drive with lots of beep action, i enjoyed myself thoroughly and my passengers weren't sick.

all in all it was a good day :D
Neilparry
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Neilparry »

Not just today but a couple of hours spent since the weekend on the engine change on redbull rexy

Engine out then prepared the replacement engine which came courtesy of Dave2112.
Fitted the OMP a big thanks rotary potato for getting it to me so quickly Image.
A new Toyo manifold off mrspiller and the use of his garage and equipment ImageImagetop man.

Turned over and started straight away. ImageImageImage
Bleed up the OMP
Checked for leaks none found.

Just need to fit the new discs and pads then it’s ready for the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Neilparry for the post (total 4):
warpc0il (Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:39 pm) • wiggles (Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:07 pm) • Rotary Potato (Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:23 pm)
:wash:
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller »

Neilparry wrote:Not just today but a couple of hours spent since the weekend on the engine change on redbull rexy

Engine out then prepared the replacement engine which came courtesy of Dave2112.
Fitted the OMP a big thanks rotary potato for getting it to me so quickly Image.
A new Toyo manifold off mrspiller and the use of his garage and equipment ImageImagetop man.

Bleed up the OMP

And the countless hours of help And audiobook ImageImageImageImage

Neilparry
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Neilparry »

mrspiller wrote:
Neilparry wrote:Not just today but a couple of hours spent since the weekend on the engine change on redbull rexy

Bleed up the OMP

And the countless hours of help And audiobook ImageImageImageImage

And the much appreciated cups of tea off Katie
And thank you Wayne for passing the spanner’s and reading the audio book Image out page by page ImageImageImageImage

:wash:
Metelyk
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Metelyk »

New tyres x3
Falken FK510s to match up with the new one put on in Scotland and deal with the advisory on the rear tyres from the MOT.
My baby is an expensive toy!!!