What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Place for discussions about the RX-8
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by ChrisHolmes »

mrspiller wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:54 pm
ChrisHolmes wrote:
mrspiller wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:46 pm

Does Chris Holmes know about that ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh! Just because I didn’t know about the boot release under the dash don’t rake uphistory!
ImageImageImageImage come on Mr Holmes
It’s humour
Which you love

Sarcasm darling, or is it irony?
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
rotatopotato (Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:48 am)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
mrspiller wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:54 pm
ChrisHolmes wrote: Oh! Just because I didn’t know about the boot release under the dash don’t rake uphistory!
ImageImageImageImage come on Mr Holmes
It’s humour
Which you love

Sarcasm darling, or is it irony?
Fun and giggles ImageImageImage

ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

:beers: :whistle: :whistle: :inlove: :inlove: :snog: :snog: :blahblah: :blahblah: :beer: :kinky: :kiss: :kiss: :notworthy: :notworthy: =D> =D>
Rotary History;

Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Pippypip »

So after buying a set of whiteline arbs and saying that I wasn’t going to waste anymore money on Black Friday.....

I have kinda gone back on that and am currently asking illumaesthetic to make me a custom kit for my rear lights that include a rear fog light in them because I have poor impulse control and I saw they had 25% off...

Also I’m try to convince myself not to buy the mishimoto Rx8 radiator and fans which have been reduced down on driftworks today
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Pippypip wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:27 pm
Also I’m try to convince myself not to buy the mishimoto Rx8 radiator and fans which have been reduced down on driftworks today
If it helps with the decision, you might be interested to hear that there's been mixed reviews for the mishimoto Rx8 radiator and fans.

The kit is really designed for drifting, where fans have to be running all the time because the cars are running engines flat-out but aren't travelling "forwards", so reduced natural airflow.

For a road car the fan shrouds and blades are extremely restrictive to natural airflow, when the fans aren't running, which can cause problems
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

warpc0il wrote:
Pippypip wrote:
If it helps with the decision, you might be interested to hear that there's been mixed reviews for the mishimoto Rx8 radiator and fans.

The kit is really designed for drifting, where fans have to be running all the time because the cars are running engines flat-out but aren't travelling "forwards", so reduced natural airflow.

For a road car the fan shrouds and blades are extremely restrictive to natural airflow, when the fans aren't running, which can cause problems
Hmmm okay I think that will do it for now Image

I’m assuming you will see benefits for track use? But as I currently daily my car I think I will put it off until I can get another car to daily drive
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

On many/most tracks there's more than enough forward speed to not run the OEM fans at all, as long as you've got a good air seal around the outside of the radiator. The fans may cut-in on the cool down lap and certainly as you return to the pits/paddock.

Obviously that's assuming normal or below ambient. In a heatwave you might find one or both fans running on hot laps, but should be well capable of coping.

However, the fans and radiator aren't the weakest links in the cooling system anyway.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Pippypip (Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:29 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
NightHunterTauren
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 192
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by NightHunterTauren »

Bought BHR coils. Yesterday I started the work on removing the gearbox for the main beast, the L200. Got the propshaft disconnected and bathed everything else in wd-40 ready for more work.
I honestly underestimated the work for taking a 4x4 gearbox out and the biting cold and the wet tarmac I'm working on.
Bigblueknight3k
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Bigblueknight3k »

If anyone has a spare rx8 am after a rear anti roll bar with brackets in no rush its for the mx5 as its a upgrade i believe they fit

Sent from my LM-Q630 using Tapatalk

Ryan Rotary Performance
Former Trader
Former Trader
RX-8: Supercharged

Post by Ryan Rotary Performance »

warpc0il wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:32 pm
Pippypip wrote:

Kind of agree although not entirely accurate.

The radiator itself is fine, the shroud and fan kit I would stay away from ( I removed this option from my website some time ago). the main issues are:

The shroud itself as stated is a poor design and restricts natural air flow, although when moving I have not personally seen temps rise out of control with this shroud, perhaps its due to the fact I have a Pro-Alloy radiator which is really good.

The fans are the main problem, they are about as much use as chocolate kettle, (I couldn't think of a worse kit for drifting) the CFM of the fans are much lower than OEM.

Stick with OEM, if you want something to look more fancy, the Mishimoto shroud could be adapted with rubber louvres which pull shut under vacuum and some better fans....
These users thanked the author Ryan Rotary Performance for the post:
Bigblueknight3k (Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:10 am)
Neilparry
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Neilparry »

Bigblueknight3k wrote:If anyone has a spare rx8 am after a rear anti roll bar with brackets in no rush its for the mx5 as its a upgrade i believe they fit

An even better upgrade would be those from the R3

These users thanked the author Neilparry for the post:
Bigblueknight3k (Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:10 am)
:wash:
Bigblueknight3k
Club Member
Club Member

Yep nothing wrong with rads i have one but made my own custom fan set up to make sure i dont have problems i even had it on track 2019 jdm day and no problem at all

Bigblueknight3k
Club Member
Club Member

Neilparry wrote:
Bigblueknight3k wrote:If anyone has a spare rx8 am after a rear anti roll bar with brackets in no rush its for the mx5 as its a upgrade i believe they fit

An even better upgrade would be those from the R3

Yep i am not sure if they fit but yes it would

Neilparry
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Neilparry »

Front is the same not sure on the back

:wash:
Bigblueknight3k
Club Member
Club Member

Neilparry wrote:Front is the same not sure on the back

Will have to look in to that then lol good excuse to put upgrade on my rx8 lol

Former Member
Former Member

Post by 79398 »

New redline gearbox oil today, judging from the state of the old oil its the first change in 53K
Never mind, just the diff to do and everything ticked off the list👍😎
To top everything off new oven installed and Pizza for dinner.
Hooorrrraaahh
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 79398 »

Ryan Rotary Performance wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:00 am
warpc0il wrote:
Pippypip wrote:

The radiator itself is fine, the shroud and fan kit I would stay away from ( I removed this option from my website some time ago). the main issues are:

The shroud itself as stated is a poor design and restricts natural air flow, although when moving I have not personally seen temps rise out of control with this shroud, perhaps its due to the fact I have a Pro-Alloy radiator which is really good.

The fans are the main problem, they are about as much use as chocolate kettle, (I couldn't think of a worse kit for drifting) the CFM of the fans are much lower than OEM.

Stick with OEM, if you want something to look more fancy, the Mishimoto shroud could be adapted with rubber louvres which pull shut under vacuum and some better fans....
I had heating issues when I first bought the car, fitted mishimoto fans and shroud changed the stat and the water pump and stuck a self adhesive number plate on to allow complete airflow, and have had absolutely no issues since, just posting in the interest of balancing views.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Fitted the new discs and pads to the rear today. New front discs ordered.
Rotary History;

Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

So I went out to go and start my car to head off to work and it turns out that I have a flat battery because I accidentally left the dome light on yesterday.....

So now I’m sitting and waiting for the jump pack to charge so I can jump the car and give it a run to get the battery all charged up
These users thanked the author Pippypip for the post:
SmuttyHutty (Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:07 pm)
Ryan Rotary Performance
Former Trader
Former Trader
RX-8: Supercharged

Post by Ryan Rotary Performance »

Proactive wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:43 pm
warpc0il wrote:

I had heating issues when I first bought the car, fitted mishimoto fans and shroud changed the stat and the water pump and stuck a self adhesive number plate on to allow complete airflow, and have had absolutely no issues since, just posting in the interest of balancing views.
Thats great!

Doesn't change the facts which I posted above
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

Proactive wrote:
warpc0il wrote:

thing is you changed 5 things there, so you don't know which aspect fixed it....
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 79398 »

350matt wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:31 pm
Proactive wrote:

thing is you changed 5 things there, so you don't know which aspect fixed it....
Point is it's fixed, and the fans and shroud may not have been the cause, which seems to be items being blamed.
Markl17
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by Markl17 »

Hi
Car is going for wheel alinement tomorrow,so been under the car to make sure all cam bolts are free,one one put up a fight so not to bad,only problem I did find is the front right wheel bearing has play in it,I have ordered a new one.
I checked the bearings on the rear and the right side is not good so had to order one of those,I have never done a rear wheel bearing on the Mazda so got the spare hub off the shelf for a practice and I can tell you it is a pain in the rear but now I have done it once should be easier when the new parts arrive.
Mark
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

So I have finally stopped being lazy and cleared out the boot of my Rx8 as it had my old exhaust in it and the clanging when I when over a bump was annoying. I also found an old pair of eyelids for my headlights which I want to put on and see if I like.... but like everything with my car the backs of them are covered in tiger seal and some other white sealant which I need to remove before using some 3m tape.

ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Drove over to Oxford to meet Nick and give him Neils WhiteLine ARBs that he bought months ago and to receive my front AeroLip. Aside from the fog it was a pleasant traffic free drive.
A nice R3 brapped into the car park as we chatted and we thought it was the one just collected from RR with a bridgeport.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
v-rex (Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:14 pm)
Rotary History;