What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Place for discussions about the RX-8
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by rotatopotato »

I didn't mind it without the skirts to be fair (I think the US get a trim level of the S2 where the bumper is the same but no side skirts), but it is much better with them!

Aye the wheels always get a lingering look from me every time I walk past it on my way in/out of the house, really happy with how they turned out given that I basically walked in, saw it on the shelf and said "I want that one" 😂

Just needs lowered now...
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by HarSc »

Looks mint! Damn good paintwork job, I get the feeling mine would be similar if I decided to get all the little niggles sorted out :shock: might well end up doing that this year, we'll see :-k

rotatopotato wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:11 pm
Just needs lowered now...
Yeeeeeeah! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :giggle: drop that bad boy! 8)
These users thanked the author HarSc for the post:
rotatopotato (Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:56 pm)
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

Cheers, as I noted in the project thread its not quite so mint up close, but a lot of what I'm seeing will be sorted with a full polish, though there is some over spray inside areas. Still, they did a damn good job for the money I paid and the colour match is spot on 👌

You've got B12s in yours if I remember correctly from your project thread? How do you find them on the road? As I'll upgrade my shocks as well as getting the springs. I was thinking B8 or B12.
These users thanked the author rotatopotato for the post:
HarSc (Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:03 pm)
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

rotatopotato wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:56 pm
Cheers, as I noted in the project thread its not quite so mint up close, but a lot of what I'm seeing will be sorted with a full polish, though there is some over spray inside areas. Still, they did a damn good job for the money I paid and the colour match is spot on 👌

You've got B12s in yours if I remember correctly from your project thread? How do you find them on the road? As I'll upgrade my shocks as well as getting the springs. I was thinking B8 or B12.
Aye, B12s. Honestly - the easiest way to put it is an ever so slightly firmer but lower car than stock. It's still plenty comfortable enough and still perfect for the road, although I do notice that it's a little harsher on the big bumps/potholes than the stock dampers, whether that's down to wear, lower travel since it's dropped, my butt Dyno not being correctly calibrated or what, I don't know :? :lol: Still plenty good enough for me driving it pretty often.

B12 Pro 46-190338 is just the kit designation for shocks + lowering springs, in the package you do actually get B8 dampers (24-110068 and 24-110075 part no's for bilstein.) And those eibach lowering springs (E10-55-007-01-22) - looking about 600+ ish I thinks? :-k

And while you're in there and have the suspension in bits, you might aswell get new front gaiters, F151-34-012B ;) :lol:
These users thanked the author HarSc for the post:
rotatopotato (Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:03 pm)

rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

Ah! Thank you, I didn't realise B12 was just the kit!

And yeah, I will need new gaiters as mine are torn, tha k's for the reminder.

Not sure I'll notice the pothole harshness as Glasgow is lousy with them so it's already about as bad as it gets (though I'm well practiced at avoiding them now 😂).
sztriki
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by sztriki »

Picked her up from HME today - had a new set of RRP oil cooler lines installed (originals were rusty as hell), service and a new battery then had my topup treatment at KROWN, so officially rust-proof forever! Well...close... :mrgreen:

Didn't have much time to check on the ignition, so I'm still having some hot start issues after short trips - had no problem whatsoever on the way home or starting it right after getting home, but took it out for a short round in the evening then stop-start when the engine was properly warmed and still takes longer cranking to start. Bit better with the new battery but still longer than it should be, about 3-4 secs. Mick reckons it's the coils, starter seems to be all right, strange as they are original BHR coils. Haven't checked the compression but just 3k in it after the rebuild so I'm not worried about that.

Next step might be a trip to Rugby for an RRP coil set, I could just order and put it in but need to readjust the dwell time with those plus wouldn't mind a quick look before committing to new coils.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

How many miles on those BHR coils?
Was the dwell changed when they were fitted?

There's no evidence to indicate that the D585 coils last any longer than the Mazda OEM (of B or C specification).
They were popular in the US because they were much cheaper and readily available - though somehow they were perceived as a performance modification.

Adjusting the dwell, as was advised at the time, has since been proven to take the load well beyond the original design duty cycle, so for 8's that are driven hard, they could be less reliable than OEM.

There is insufficient data regarding the comparative reliability of the latest RRP, though the warranty should give you some reassurance.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
sztriki (Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:40 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

I would add that my 8 is running the RRP mkii coils with 40,000 + miles on them, I had 1 coil fail in all that time, I check them regularly with a spark tester to ensure they're good, so if that's anything to go by the mkiii coils should do well
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post (total 2):
sztriki (Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:40 am) • rotatopotato (Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:27 pm)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
sztriki
Former Member
Former Member

Post by sztriki »

warpc0il wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:43 pm
How many miles on those BHR coils?
Was the dwell changed when they were fitted?

There's no evidence to indicate that the D585 coils last any longer than the Mazda OEM (of B or C specification).
They were popular in the US because they were much cheaper and readily available - though somehow they were perceived as a performance modification.

Adjusting the dwell, as was advised at the time, has since been proven to take the load well beyond the original design duty cycle, so for 8's that are driven hard, they could be less reliable than OEM.

There is insufficient data regarding the comparative reliability of the latest RRP, though the warranty should give you some reassurance.
Not sure about the mileage, I actually bought them a couple of years ago used with apparently low mileage. If that's to be believed, I'd say 10-15k max.
Thanks for the rundown on the D585 coils, that's new info for me, I thought they were regarded as much more reliable and an upgrade. I don't really push the car, 1 track day a year maybe, otherwise motorway drives, sometimes B-road.
I guess their time just came, other than the difficult start with a warm engine after a short drive everything works fine. Not sure if there should be any other symptoms or if I'm following the wrong lead (no pun intended).
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Warmish restarts can be an issue on any modern car.

Engine bay heat soaks into the intake and the PCM is convinced that it's a hot day, and chooses fuelling to match.
As the engine spins on the starter, that air in the intake is drawn through to be replaced with cold air from outside, and the fuelling is all wrong.

This can result in the engine trying to start, and then dying.
It may take a couple of attempts or a longer than normal spin on the starter to enable the PCM to correct.
Sometimes, even when it starts, the throttle response just off idle can become hesitant until everything settles.

As said, many cars exhibit this behaviour but rotary paranoia means that we're much more likely to notice. :roll:

For those old enough to remember, it's like those occasions when you wouldn't have known whether to pull the choke or not, and it might have needed a bit of choke, and then push in quick before you kangaroo down the road :D
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 3):
chriskirkham (Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:59 am) • rotatopotato (Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:27 pm) • sztriki (Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:00 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

It's always worth checking and cleaning MAF and eccentric shaft sensor, that's my advice, certainly a cheap and easy start to solving problems.
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post (total 2):
rotatopotato (Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:27 pm) • sztriki (Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:00 pm)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
sztriki
Former Member
Former Member

Post by sztriki »

I'll give it a bit of time to see how she behaves, the annoying thing is that the dwell time is adjusted to the BHR coils, otherwise I could just drop in a new stock set, so I'll have to have the remap done again, as I don't really see the point of getting another BHR set if it doesn't outlive the standard or RRP ones that cost half the price. But at least I'll be able to have someone a look at the coils before getting a new set too.
Judderman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Judderman »

Just a hoover out and a clean inside. Checked tyre pressures, all good 👍
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

Drove down to Leeds as its going into Rotary Revs tomorrow for a couple things.

I had a bag of choc peanuts in the centre console, which had well and truly melted by the time I'd arrived - seems the centre console got very hot on the way down, I figure that must be the cat. Just waiting on a new full exhaust from RRP so it's not the end of the world, as long as it gets me back to Glasgow!

There were a couple of times when accelerating hard that I got a pop on up shift as you would with a decat.
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Standard practice for the center console to get warm, it comes in handy keeps your Starbucks warm.
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
rotatopotato (Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:47 pm)
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

Ah, nothing to see here then!

Note to self - chocolate goes in the glove box from now on.

...or just straight to my belly.
HarSc (Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:16 am)
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Unless it's in your coffee(mocha)
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Not mine, but Chris's and Rich's first call was to Chris to replace solenoids on intake manifold due to faulty codes, feedback is the cars pulling well with no cel(also cleaned a rather oily MAF sensor) second call was to Rich's 8 to drill out broken bolt for the engine mount that I replaced, fixed, swapped starter motor and cleaned cable end connectors(starter connection had seen some heat historically) and fitted new battery terminals, hopefully we have 2 very happy rotary cookies for some time to come
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post (total 3):
RichT_Derby (Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:53 pm) • casey (Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:26 pm) • rotatopotato (Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:39 pm)
RichT_Derby
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by RichT_Derby »

Yes, I'm a happy bunny thanks Paul 👍. Drove to grandparents and so far it's cranked first time 3 times and no dead start. Early signs are very promising. Glad I've got good connections on the battery and starter now. Thanks again!
2004 Winning Blue, Black Leather, 192
Minimap, K&N Air Filter, RRP Mk3 Coils, Racingbeat Catback, Krown protected
Based in Long Eaton
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

No worries
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

I am feeling extremely lucky.

After getting my car back recently I had the standard line on the invoice of "check the wheel nuts after 20 or so miles", which I just didn't get around to, and as it turns out they hadn't tightened the nuts properly... which lead to me losing a locking nut during the drive down to Leeds last night. I didn't notice this, the guys at Rotary Revs found out for me this morning. Kicking myself for not being more vigilant, and now I'm down a locking nut - although that's a preferable outcome to having the wheels come off!
Last edited by rotatopotato on Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarSc (Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:17 pm)
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

At least it's only one as you say. I don't know about others, but i've known some places (that actually use torque wrenches not air guns ha!) to torque up the 4 normal nuts and then not tighten the locker as much? I guess it's to try and stop people gunning them on and never being able to get them off again or snapping the key/tool etc, but I still wouldn't have expected it to come off of it's own accord! :shock: lucky spot that! [-o<

rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

Oh it was all of the nuts, it just happened to only be the locking nut that came off. I did notice some odd vibrations when I was on the M1 last night but chalked it up to the road surface - I didn't even think to look at the wheel nuts! Even this morning walking past (it was the driver's side) it didn't jump out at me, but then I'm not usually looking at the wheel nuts (and I was parked next to another car so I would have had to look directly down to notice it).
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

The locking wheel nut doesn't take much to shear the key part, I used to tighten the standard nuts with the tool kit brace and use a foot on it (but not full weight) where as the lock nut used to get hand pressure and the key part still deformed. I imagine mcguard can supply replacement nuts or one of the breakers will have a full set no doubt
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

rotatopotato wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:23 pm
Oh it was all of the nuts...
Yikes! :shock: :shock: