What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Place for discussions about the RX-8
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by 79398 »

Fitted centre caps and sorted out a detailing session to make the most of the respray, and ensure she looks her best for years to come, photos and details will follow in a few weeks.
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by SmuttyHutty »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:32 pm

“A Mighty Grimbarian” I bet she loves that description. Grimsby has loads of bad press, thanks Sasha Baton Cohen, I lived in Cleethorpes and worked in Grimsby from 74 to 76, real party years, say no more!
Oh, I think Mrs Smutty knows me well enough by now to know that it is said with affection.

As for the bad press - you can't get much worse than the fact she went to school with Maxine Carr :shock: And when that all kicked off she was instructed by her work to not talk to the press who were bombarding her with requests for interviews.

I quite like visiting up there. The price of fuel and fish and chips is so much better than here down south....although you can't get rock eel in Wybers Chippy.
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

Try cleaning your eccentric shaft sensor, due to it being magnetic they collect dirty and this can have an affect on its signal
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
Pippypip (Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:15 pm)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Pippypip »

PaulAV wrote:Try cleaning your eccentric shaft sensor, due to it being magnetic they collect dirty and this can have an affect on its signal
Already tried but made no difference unfortunately. After changing all the plugs and switching out my coils just to make sure I noticed a high pitch whining while to car is on from the alternator area which just adds to my list of things I need to fix on this
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Have you fitted new ht leads to your plugs, I had a misfire that was due to a lead not connecting properly, it can be tricky to get them to click into place but also the terminal can open up causing a bad connection, worth checking even if new
Pippypip (Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:25 pm)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

PaulAV wrote:Have you fitted new ht leads to your plugs, I had a misfire that was due to a lead not connecting properly, it can be tricky to get them to click into place but also the terminal can open up causing a bad connection, worth checking even if new
I have not fitted new ht leads myself but I have been using a set of magnecore leads from my previous Rx8 but I don’t know how long they have been on as they were purchased by the previous owner. I will look into getting a new set just for piece of mind Image
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

SmuttyHutty wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:46 pm
ChrisHolmes wrote:

“A Mighty Grimbarian” I bet she loves that description. Grimsby has loads of bad press, thanks Sasha Baton Cohen, I lived in Cleethorpes and worked in Grimsby from 74 to 76, real party years, say no more!
Oh, I think Mrs Smutty knows me well enough by now to know that it is said with affection.

As for the bad press - you can't get much worse than the fact she went to school with Maxine Carr :shock: And when that all kicked off she was instructed by her work to not talk to the press who were bombarding her with requests for interviews.

I quite like visiting up there. The price of fuel and fish and chips is so much better than here down south....although you can't get rock eel in Wybers Chippy.
Steels Restaurant in Cleethorpes Market Square when I was there
Haddock and Chips with Mushy peas, a pot of tea, bread and butter £1.15
Does you wife remember what the Saturday night revellers used to frequently do with sign on the Friar Tuck pub in Grimsby town centre?
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by SmuttyHutty »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:28 pm
SmuttyHutty wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:46 pm
ChrisHolmes wrote:

Steels Restaurant in Cleethorpes Market Square when I was there
Haddock and Chips with Mushy peas, a pot of tea, bread and butter £1.15
Does you wife remember what the Saturday night revellers used to frequently do with sign on the Friar Tuck pub in Grimsby town centre?
We ate upstairs in Steels a couple of years back. Looked like the menu, decor and waitress hadn't changed since the 1970s! I'm afraid that Mrs Smutty is a few years younger than me and wasn't even a twinkle in her daddy's eye in 74-76.

As for the Friar Tuck - I imagine it got well and truly Spoonerismed.

Down on Cleethorpes prom theres a statue of a pelican that is lit up with pink/purple lights. It's rather random. And I am rather embarrassed to say that the first few times I ventured up there with her I needed her to translate. This southerner had absolutely no clue what the locals were saying.
These users thanked the author SmuttyHutty for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:20 pm)
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

At this point I’m starting to get fed up with my Rx8, I went out to try and diagnose the misfire this morning and my car won’t idle smoothly anymore also got a p0171 lean code as well
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by nightfire10 »

If you've disconnected the battery the car will have to relearn idle

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

nightfire10 wrote:If you've disconnected the battery the car will have to relearn idle

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
Yeah I know but this isn’t the same sort of thing that I have experienced with it relearning idle, it’s incredibly rough to the point where on start up it will fluctuate about 1.5k rpm before trying to find 820rpm and then still bouncing after it’s warmed up
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

Could you have knocked and cracked the intake while looking at the solenoids? That may be allowing I extra air messing up the the trims unexpectedly and causing it to run lean?
These users thanked the author 30405 for the post:
Pippypip (Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:50 pm)
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

Vj4sothername wrote:Could you have knocked and cracked the intake while looking at the solenoids? That may be allowing I extra air messing up the the trims unexpectedly and causing it to run lean?
Perhaps I may have, I will have a look to see if I can see anything in a bit. I had a look at the service manual and it said to check for exhaust leaks and if that doesn’t work to replace the front o2 sensor so I will get that done as the car is jacked up and I have a spare sensor.
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

If you have a flammable sprays it might be worth starting the car and spraying a few areas around the intake to see if it changes revs. This would indicate a vacuum leak and hopefully help you find it.

Please do not do this untill a more knowledgeable member confirms it as a valid diagnostic method for this issue and ideal recommends a spray to use.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

The Service Manual assumes that faults have occurred during normal operation, so starts with the most likely under that scenario.

The "most likely" changes significantly when you've been disturbing/replacing stuff...

WD40 is good for identifying vacuum leaks. Spray around with engine running, listening for changes in the revs if it temporarily blocks a leak, or white puffs of smoke from the exhaust as it get drawn in.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Pippypip (Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:58 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

warpc0il wrote:The Service Manual assumes that faults have occurred during normal operation, so starts with the most likely under that scenario.

The "most likely" changes significantly when you've been disturbing/replacing stuff...

WD40 is good for identifying vacuum leaks. Spray around with engine running, listening for changes in the revs if it temporarily blocks a leak, or white puffs of smoke from the exhaust as it get drawn in.
Okay thank you I will give that a go in a sec Image
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

warpc0il wrote:The Service Manual assumes that faults have occurred during normal operation, so starts with the most likely under that scenario.

Also does it have to be wd40 specifically or will any penetrating oil work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ

Post by v-rex »

So drove the car a little bit on saturday and it felt sluggish. About a minute down the road and the dashboard lights up and I'm thinking WTF ? I was able drive it home and I attached a OBD2 reader to it. P0303 Cylinder misfire. Eek !! Call out roadside assistance and they straightaway say we are putting that on the trailer and it's straight to the dealer.

That story could have very likely been about my RX8, but not it's actually my CX-5. I've never had a misfire once on my Rex, so that's 1-0 to the RX-8 for that one. The CX-5 is arriving at the dealers today and I hope its something simple like a spark plug or coils. I don't fancy doing a third engine rebuild (2 on the Rex already) !!

Anyway to keep in with the thread. What did I do with my RX-8 ? Put the child seats in there. Ended up bucketing down with rain as I am doing the fiddly Britax one, which needs just the right angle to get it on the ISOFIX bars, but got it eventually !! The CX-5 is miles easier in this respect, but the RX-8 is still kid friendly enough !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Anything thin and combustible should work but don't try too volatile like petrol

A spray helps get it to any angle.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

warpc0il wrote:Anything thin and combustible should work but don't try too volatile like petrol

A spray helps get it to any angle.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
Okay that’s fine I have some spray which is like wd40 but not the same as I ran out. Also I was just checking my fuel system while waiting to be sure and I have an error on my bank 2 sensor
Neilparry
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Neilparry »

Deodorant spray will also do the job and just think how nice the car will smell afterwards

These users thanked the author Neilparry for the post (total 2):
Pippypip (Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:29 pm) • 30405 (Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:05 pm)
:wash:
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

Neilparry wrote:Deodorant spray will also do the job and just think how nice the car will smell afterwards

Ah just the excuse I needed to go through the 8 gift boxes of lynx Africa under my bed Image

These users thanked the author Pippypip for the post:
v-rex (Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:49 pm)
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Is that called the lynx effect?
v-rex (Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:49 pm)
TriggerFish
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by TriggerFish »

Realised over the weekend, that, after driving it about 300 miles for work that I don't like the drone of the Toyosports exhaust at motorway speeds, so hopefully picking up a replacement tomorrow!

Also replaced my full beams with LEDs as after years of bi-xenons, I didn't like the contrast between halogen/xenon when using full beams (happily, you can do the passenger side from the engine bay without needing to drop the arch liners). They seem much better, but there is a bit of a hotspot where the halogens didn't have one before. Overall effect is a positive one though, and I'm happy for the £30 I spent. (annoyingly, the photos I took of the halogen/LED difference didn't come out, so I've only got the beam pattern one)

The beam pattern on a wall isn't terrible, which isn't actually what I was expecting. I was expecting a load of scatter/bleed, although I wouldn't consider these suitable for use in dip beam due to the extra light in the wrong places. I figured that this wasn't the end of the world for full beams, so long as they distribute light evenly over the road.

Xenon alone for reference:

Halogen left, LED right:

Last edited by TriggerFish on Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

Just found that my top airbox hose has a leak in it and is making a high pitch noise so I’m assuming that’s another thing to add to my list Image