What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Place for discussions about the RX-8
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by PaulAV »

I will have to let you know as I haven't done much driving since fitting, it is however quite civilised compared to the Borla. It would be quieter still without the racing beat exhaust manifold, but I don't want to be too quiet
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
rotatopotato (Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:03 am)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by nightfire10 »

PaulAV wrote:I will have to let you know as I haven't done much driving since fitting, it is however quite civilised compared to the Borla. It would be quieter still without the racing beat exhaust manifold, but I don't want to be too quiet
Borla and rrp 200cell sounds great ImageImagequite loud

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

nightfire10 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:04 am
PaulAV wrote:I will have to let you know as I haven't done much driving since fitting, it is however quite civilised compared to the Borla. It would be quieter still without the racing beat exhaust manifold, but I don't want to be too quiet

A little too loud (the sound went up a bit with the racing beat exhaust manifold) it did sound good in tunnels and such, but every day it was just a little bit much
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 »

PaulAV wrote:
nightfire10 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:04 am

A little too loud (the sound went up a bit with the racing beat exhaust manifold) it did sound good in tunnels and such, but every day it was just a little bit much
Sound level OK for combe and brand's

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .

180 of 400
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Mine is my daily driver, I would of been fine with the setup of the RRP hand come along, but it could be a little annoying day in and day out.
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 »

PaulAV wrote:Mine is my daily driver, I would of been fine with the setup of the RRP hand come along, but it could be a little annoying day in and day out.
Apart from when I'm working using the van my car gets used other than that

180 of 400
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

Used the civic to jump start the 8 and charged the battery on way to do the weekly shop.
These users thanked the author 30405 for the post:
Pippypip (Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:54 pm)
Nanotrox
Media Team
Media Team

Post by Nanotrox »

Went to get pizza from pizza hut in the car tonight and turning of the street there's a drain / manhole cover that's come loose in the middle of the road that I didn't know about and sounded like it hit the underside of the car it was really loud, no damage / leaks tho when I got out and checked so I'm hoping the noise was it going back in rather than smacking the underside of the car
40th Anniversary Edition 369/400 203rwhp
Engine Rebuild + Street Port - 24/09/2021
Lightened and balanced rotors
Pettit Catback
Smoked Rear S2 Style Taillights
Exedy Clutch
CC Ultra Lightweight Flywheel
CC Counterweight
Tein S.Tech Lowering Springs
Racing Beat Ram Air Intake
Footwell LEDs

Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=83328
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Pippypip »

Nanotrox wrote:Went to get pizza from pizza hut in the car tonight and turning of the street there's a drain / manhole cover that's come loose in the middle of the road that I didn't know about and sounded like it hit the underside of the car it was really loud, no damage / leaks tho when I got out and checked so I'm hoping the noise was it going back in rather than smacking the underside of the car
Should have gone to domino’s insteadImage
These users thanked the author Pippypip for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:30 pm)
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by 79398 »

Smothered all the nuts I could find front and back under the car with WD40 prior to suspension adjustments on Wednesday.
Oil and filter change but didn't have enough length on the connection wires to finish the installation of the oil and water temp gauges, ordered extensions.
Could be worse 👍😎
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Proactive wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:48 pm
Smothered all the nuts I could find front and back under the car with WD40 prior to suspension adjustments on Wednesday.
Oil and filter change but didn't have enough length on the connection wires to finish the installation of the oil and water temp gauges, ordered extensions.
Could be worse 👍😎
Did you spray the top of the front lower arm rear adjusting bolt? Those are the biggest issue, especially the drivers side one.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by 79398 »

"Did you spray the top of the front lower arm rear adjusting bolt? Those are the biggest issue, especially the drivers side one."

My lad assures me he has, I will do it again tomorrow, just pumped up the tyres, god do they lose pressure or the digital pumps at the Garages vary widely
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by SmuttyHutty »

Proactive wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:00 pm
....god do they lose pressure or the digital pumps at the Garages vary widely
I have two digital pumps and two digital tyre pressure gauges and can get 4 different readings at times. I now overinflate with a pump and then deflate to a point where both digital gauges kind of agree it is 32psi.
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ

Post by v-rex »

I found pressure gauges at garages are wildly out and even a digital pressure inflator will be off by the time it heats up on the 4th wheel.

So another vote for overinflating as well and then I use this deflate to correct pressure. No idea vs digital what's more accurate but this is easy enough.

These users thanked the author v-rex for the post:
30405 (Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:35 pm)
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

v-rex wrote:I found pressure gauges at garages are wildly out and even a digital pressure inflator will be off by the time it heats up on the 4th wheel.

So another vote for overinflating as well and then I use this deflate to correct pressure. No idea vs digital what's more accurate but this is easy enough.

Ment to ask where you got that at Donington.
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ

Post by v-rex »

Vj4sothername wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:35 pm
Ment to ask where you got that at Donington.
Only negative I'll say is the case it comes in is flimsy and I've had to repurchase it once because the spring pushing the needle back broke. This is still after a few years of use and it may have been me being overzealous with the reset button.

Overall a lovely bit of kit imo and hopefully won't need to purchase again, but if I do I have no qualms in buying it again.
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by bigpete8 »

Managed a short drive to the childminders and back. (My sisters to pick the youngest up)
Previously rx8 sat on my drive for couple of weeks waiting for me to replace sticking caliper which still hasn't happened. Risked it as only round the corner and drove enough to get the engine warm. But not the brakes!

New starter motor still holding up well, starts are much quicker.
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

Mine are going to be weekends only for the next month or so. I am tempted to SORN them both, but I need the PZ taxed so I can get it resprayed. The 192 hasn't got any major works for three more weeks when the yellow calipers come back. I might buy another car cover and battery conditioner and put them both to bed.
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3

Post by HarSc »

SmuttyHutty wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:06 am
Mine are going to be weekends only for the next month or so. I am tempted to SORN them both, but I need the PZ taxed so I can get it resprayed. The 192 hasn't got any major works for three more weeks when the yellow calipers come back. I might buy another car cover and battery conditioner and put them both to bed.
What car cover do you get for yours? Been debating it myself but there are so many out there I have no idea what to get :shock: :lol:
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

You have to be sooo careful with using covers outdoors.

Our paint is very soft and any wind movement can cause the cover to wear/score the paint.
Obviously worse if there's any grit trapped between but I've seen nasty damage even on a clean car.

Moisture can also get trapped making rusting worse and even lifting/blooming the clearcoat on some panels.

If you can't get the car inside a garage then a carport or even against a high fence/wall to keep off the worst of the weather, is better than a fitted cover, that and a good coat of wax for the paint.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:10 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 »

Mine ImageImageImage

These users thanked the author nightfire10 for the post:
SmuttyHutty (Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:31 pm)

180 of 400
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Good luck with that. It would be great in a dry dusty garage but you wouldn't catch me putting my car under one in NI weather.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 »

Such a good fit it doesn't move even if windy
Used it when I had to go into sheilding for 4 months

180 of 400
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

I cannot remember where I bought the current one, but I am happy with it. Probably ebay or some other online store.
Firstly, it covers the car:
Cover.jpg
Secondly, it has a front and a back (which does make a difference to the fit):
Front.jpg
Thirdly, it has ties on each corner so I tie it to the wheels:
Wheel tie.jpg
Fourthly, but hard to show in a pic is the central strap with a clip that goes underneath to stop billowing:
Central Strap.jpg
It is a pest to get under the car but I have a broom handle which I use to dip the underground oil tank so I loop it round the end of that and poke it under the car.
Fifth(ly?), it has a fluffy cotton underside:
Fluffy.jpg
It is a heavyweight construction and once tied down doesn't move. I always dry the car fully before putting it on (chamois leather earlier) and I only waxed it a couple of months ago so the paint is protected. When I take it off I fold it back on itself and roll it up and place it in a holdall in the garage to stop grit and the like getting on it.

I just picked up something similar from ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-W ... 2749.l2649 and I will see if it has similar features. It is a close match, or so it seems online.

But I've had no problems with the current one and no signs of any harm coming to the car after last winter under cover. Far less harm than having the cats climb all over the car!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller »

Unless it was a very snug fit with a cloth or chamois inner I’d be very worried that when windy it could scratch the paint slightly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk