What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Place for discussions about the RX-8
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Copper Red

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by mrspiller »

nightfire10 wrote:Not the 8 but my van vivaro 1.9 this light came on and off randomly due to snapped wire to left injector and running as if on 2 cylinders. started coming on and off again wire OK not as rough also another fault is when first started there isn't any throttle response for a minute then starts coming back slowly? Any ideas Image

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Show the light
What year is it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mrspiller »

mrspiller wrote:
nightfire10 wrote:Not the 8 but my van vivaro 1.9 this light came on and off randomly due to snapped wire to left injector and running as if on 2 cylinders. started coming on and off again wire OK not as rough also another fault is when first started there isn't any throttle response for a minute then starts coming back slowly? Any ideas Image

Show the light
What year is it ?

And then it appeared ImageImageImage
That’s glow plug / injector light a bit it ?

nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by nightfire10 »

2005 first problem was due to the air box rubbing against cables

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mrspiller »

nightfire10 wrote:2005 first problem was due to the air box rubbing against cables

If it sounds like it’s running on 2 could well be an injector
Or lack of power to one

nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 »

As it comes on then off randomly I'd have thought not injector as I thought they normally work or not?

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .

180 of 400
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mrspiller »

nightfire10 wrote:As it comes on then off randomly I'd have thought not injector as I thought they normally work or not?

Is there a way of checking if power in consistent to the injectors ?

These users thanked the author mrspiller for the post:
nightfire10 (Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:11 pm)
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by 79398 »

Two coats of primer 4 coats of black, 4 coats of lacquer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TriggerFish
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by TriggerFish »

I really like the design of the 8 interior, I think it's aged nicely, and I especially like the dash cluster, but... It's too dark in there at night. Modern cars with their ambient/down lighting really do make it a much nicer experience at night, so I had a go and recreating this on a basic levels. The LEDs are leftovers from my last 3 series, so it's actually a BMW colour, but seems to go nicely.

It's 2 LEDs set into the light housings front and rear and wired to the ignition using the wiring already going to the front interior light. As long as the light in the ceiling isn't distracting as a driver, I'm happy with it (usually they're recessed to hide the light source, but there isn't space to do that easily in the sunroof interior light, so I had to use the original bulb housing, hence the reflection of light).

Without lights

And with lights

It's a little dimmer in person, but it's only a phone, so not the best photos. It was at least exposure locked between shots.
These users thanked the author TriggerFish for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:32 pm)
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 »

nightfire10 wrote:Painted the rears! ImageImage
Also I should say I bought a cheap impact driver £58 as taking wheels on and off isn't good for my lungs Image and it was so much easier apart from smacking my finger nail undoing calliper Image

I should say it loosened all but locking nut which I think isn't bad for the price

180 of 400
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by SmuttyHutty »

TriggerFish wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:24 pm
I really like the design of the 8 interior, I think it's aged nicely, and I especially like the dash cluster, but... It's too dark in there at night. Modern cars with their ambient/down lighting really do make it a much nicer experience at night, so I had a go and recreating this on a basic levels. The LEDs are leftovers from my last 3 series, so it's actually a BMW colour, but seems to go nicely.

It's 2 LEDs set into the light housings front and rear and wired to the ignition using the wiring already going to the front interior light. As long as the light in the ceiling isn't distracting as a driver, I'm happy with it (usually they're recessed to hide the light source, but there isn't space to do that easily in the sunroof interior light, so I had to use the original bulb housing, hence the reflection of light).

Without lights

And with lights

It's a little dimmer in person, but it's only a phone, so not the best photos. It was at least exposure locked between shots.
That looks lovely.

I had a Porsche a few years ago and it had gorgeous ambient lighting.
These users thanked the author SmuttyHutty for the post:
TriggerFish (Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:36 pm)
TriggerFish
Former Member
Former Member

Post by TriggerFish »

Thanks!

It makes such a difference at night I find - hopefully this works in practice out on the road. My partner's 3 series has it too around the door trims etc, and it's just so comforting. Sounds stupid to say, but it's really calming I find!
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

TriggerFish wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:38 pm
Thanks!

It makes such a difference at night I find - hopefully this works in practice out on the road. My partner's 3 series has it too around the door trims etc, and it's just so comforting. Sounds stupid to say, but it's really calming I find!
I think for those of us who have experienced a car with ambient lighting it doesn't sound stupid at all. I found that the hue and tone and brightness were simply perfect. My RX8 is a weekends only fun car and I can't remember the last time I actually drove it at night!
These users thanked the author SmuttyHutty for the post:
TriggerFish (Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:00 pm)
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

mrspiller wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:51 pm
mrspiller wrote:

Show the light
What year is it ?

And then it appeared ImageImageImage
That’s glow plug / injector light a bit it ?

Seen this on a Vauxhall forum:
Screenshot 2020-10-31 at 21.53.51.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Around town I'm happy driving at night with a low level of interior ambient light.

However, once you get on really dark country roads, any interior light however low and diffused, becomes a liability.

I remember having the conversation with a friend who's a Police traffic driver and they had a switch put in to switch off all the ambient lights in their BMWs.

I've had cars in the past that you could switch off all the dash lighting, except the speedo/tacho, which would just dim, for dark night driving.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
TriggerFish
Former Member
Former Member

Post by TriggerFish »

SmuttyHutty wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:48 pm

I think for those of us who have experienced a car with ambient lighting it doesn't sound stupid at all. I found that the hue and tone and brightness were simply perfect. My RX8 is a weekends only fun car and I can't remember the last time I actually drove it at night!
Yeah, they're definitely one of the best advances to car interiors in my opinion (way above touch screens and stuff). My rx8 is my daily (which I only really use for work anyway), but with winter and the long nights being here, and a spare couple of hours I figured it was worth a shot.
These users thanked the author TriggerFish for the post:
SmuttyHutty (Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:04 pm)
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

warpc0il wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:57 pm

I've had cars in the past that you could switch off all the dash lighting, except the speedo/tacho, which would just dim, for dark night driving.
I recall some time ago pressing the AMB button on my 8 and something like that happened. Or am I getting my cars mixed up?
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

AMB switches the temperature display from "A/C setting" to "outside Ambient"
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
TriggerFish
Former Member
Former Member

Post by TriggerFish »

warpc0il wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:57 pm
Around town I'm happy driving at night with a low level of interior ambient light.

However, once you get on really dark country roads, any interior light however low and diffused, becomes a liability.

I remember having the conversation with a friend who's a Police traffic driver and they had a switch put in to switch off all the ambient lights in their BMWs.

Depending on the age of BMW, you can turn it off via the dashboard or idrive, so a surprise they added a switch unless it was an older model (but the older models didn't really have the same level of lighting)

Yeah - that is my concern though that unlit roads etc it'll be too much. It's wired with bullet connectors, so I can easily change it to go via its own switch, or tap into the dashlighting so it dims with the rest of the interior.

Will it be more annoying than the infestation if 4x4s with headlights aimed right in the face of normal cars? :roll:
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

warpc0il wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:05 pm
AMB switches the temperature display from "A/C setting" to "outside Ambient"
Sorry, yes. I've just remembered that and returned to edit my post. No need! I think it must have been when I turned the dash lighting dial down. It goes from white to orange and then everything but the tacho goes out, doesn't it?

I'll go and have a play one evening.
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

Doesn't always turn orange
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
Honkytonk
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Honkytonk »

TriggerFish wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:06 pm

Will it be more annoying than the infestation if 4x4s with headlights aimed right in the face of normal cars? :roll:
URFGH this drives me nearly as mad as cyclists who have lights brighter than the surface of multiple suns directed seemingly deliberately at eye level.

Being seen is all well and good but blinding other road users is ridiculous.

No excuse with 4x4's.
Want to Take Part in the Club YouTube channel? Click Here!

Marvel at the Amazing Technicolour P-Shed Project Thread
And my OEM-only Luton Adonis, the Mighty Vectra!
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

RoSPA sponsored a scientific study to show how much safer flashing bicycle lights were.

However, when the study concluded, based on the scientific evidence, that flashing bicycle lights weren't safer, they were much more dangerous, then RoSPA tried to prevent its publication, claiming that they owned the copyright and it was up to them whether to publish or not.

It seems that flashing lights are good for getting your initial attention but are totally crap for judging speed and distance.

Cyclists with just (or predominantly) flashing lights are much more likely to have drivers pull out in front of them.

I wonder why RoSPA tried to suppress that fact, you'd think that they'd already sunk a whole lot of money in lobbying to get the law changed to allow something that was wrong #-o [-X
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

I remember back in the day when cycle lights were so you could see and be seen.
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
Ainmhidh
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3

Post by Ainmhidh »

From an external perspective, my ideal cyclist lights were a system I saw in the early 00's - Static lights front and back on the bike itself (wide spread so they can be seen from the side) along with wheel reflectors, with flashing red rear light on the back of the helmet / backpack, AND a chest light - shining from the handlebars onto the rider's chest illuminating them clearly. about to add something else then realised it needs to be the rant thread...
Alan (he/him)| 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RRP MkII Coils, MSD leads...)
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
SmuttyHutty (Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:12 pm)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black