What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Place for discussions about the RX-8
User avatar
Jeags
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 9:28 pm
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black
Location: North West (Chester)
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by Jeags » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:21 pm

Finally got round to fitting the gauges to the car. Took most of the day, bit well worth it in the end. Considering the gauge holder (vent) cost me around £65, I think it's great! (Tape and cloth to hold it down whilst silicone sets). Image

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Jeags for the post (total 2):
rotatopotato (Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:28 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:00 pm)

rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:11 pm
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Glasgow
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by rotatopotato » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:30 pm

Pippypip wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:14 pm
rotatopotato wrote:
Pippypip wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:09 pm
Looks good mate.

When did you order it though because I tried to order one the other day and they didn’t have anything on their eBay store.
About a month ago, though he didn't have one advertised. I sent a message asking for one, didn't get a response, but then a listing showed up, so probably worth just doing the same.

At the moment for RHD he's got the full kit advertised (w/ sohn adapter): https://www.ebay.com/itm/203106313997 - which was all there was for RHD when I messaged him.
Oh okay nice thanks. I think I will have to pop him a message then too as I only need the “support kit” tank bit.
Yeah just keep an eye on his listings after you do - like I say he didn't actually respond to me, and I happened to notice a listing for the RHD support kit popped up a couple days later. You don't have to worry about the customs bill on the way in either as it goes through the global shipping program (so you pay it all up front).

User avatar
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Posts: 26543
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:56 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow
Location: Groomsport, Co Down, NI
Has thanked: 491 times
Been thanked: 2004 times
Contact:

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by warpc0il » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:57 pm

nightfire10 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:04 pm
warpc0il wrote:Drain the diff oil and check for any broken bits coming out.
What diff oil do I need dave and how much? Cheers
The diff, unlike the 6-speed 'box, is quite happy with GL-5 transmission oil.
Even though it's an LSD, the design means that it doesn't require any special "LSD oil"

1.3L* of any of these should suit https://opieoils.resultspage.com/search?secure=1&w=GL-5
My personal choice is https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-983-fuchs- ... r-oil.aspx
Used code CAR10 for 10% off

*strangely this has remained at 1.3L despite the gov'mint changing all our V5s [-X
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
Vj4sothername (Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:59 pm) • nightfire10 (Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:18 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

User avatar
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 4617
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:11 pm
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White
Location: poole dorset
Has thanked: 1192 times
Been thanked: 553 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by nightfire10 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:18 pm

warpc0il wrote:
nightfire10 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:04 pm
warpc0il wrote:Drain the diff oil and check for any broken bits coming out.
What diff oil do I need dave and how much? Cheers
The diff, unlike the 6-speed 'box, is quite happy with GL-5 transmission oil.
Even though it's an LSD, the design means that it doesn't require any special "LSD oil"

1.3L* of any of these should suit https://opieoils.resultspage.com/search?secure=1&w=GL-5
My personal choice is https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-983-fuchs- ... r-oil.aspx
Used code CAR10 for 10% off

*strangely this has remained at 1.3L despite the gov'mint changing all our V5s [-X
Cheers dave

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2
To do install sohn tank bracket made but still need to get time to install,caliper painting :thumright:
180 of 400

rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:11 pm
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Glasgow
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by rotatopotato » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:41 am

Started looking at removing the air pump pipe (I have a blanking plate from Essex rotary), however I can't see myself getting this done without destroying the studs:
IMG_20200920_113151.jpg
...p**** of a spot to get to, and those nuts don't even have defined sides anymore. Think I'll leave that for the next engine rebuild.

Also tried out the jacking/axle stand pads for this, unfortunately the jacking pad is too big (I think there was a smaller size but it wasn't available):
IMG_20200920_113349.jpg
IMG_20200920_113338.jpg
With a tiny bit of trimming the axle stand pads seem to work OK:
IMG_20200920_114000.jpg
BTW, when installing the sohn tank yesterday, I needed to remove the battery box, and of course the two bolts holding it in snapped off with ease 😑 so hopefully it sits in there snug enough without them!

User avatar
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 1433
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:29 am
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver
Location: Coventry
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 320 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by PaulAV » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:47 am

Possibly the best option for your hard pipe stud's is to cut the hard pipe, remove the manifold, remove the nuts whilst off the car then bolt your plate on. I had to do this to remove my old manifold when fitting a teaching beat one.
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
rotatopotato (Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:52 am)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, custom stainless steel grills, Ryan rotary performance coils & sohn, high spec rear drop links, HME engine rebuild at 50k, Borla exhaust, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension & spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms.

User avatar
Goobie
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:27 am
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White
Location: East Sussex
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 368 times
Contact:

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by Goobie » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:22 pm

Jeags wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:21 pm
Finally got round to fitting the gauges to the car. Took most of the day, bit well worth it in the end. Considering the gauge holder (vent) cost me around £65, I think it's great! (Tape and cloth to hold it down whilst silicone sets). Image

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Like that, looks good!
These users thanked the author Goobie for the post:
Jeags (Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:23 pm)

rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:11 pm
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Glasgow
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by rotatopotato » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:34 pm

Next tasks done:

Fitted a shoft (no pics).

Did a headlight restore with the Armourall wipes kit, didn't get a before pic but they were noticeably yellow, so I'm pretty happy with how this turned out for £9:
IMG_20200920_140825.jpg
After getting a hold of the stone guard strips off Bigpete, I discovered that they can't be fitted as a few of the plug holes have been patched over at the rear of the sills, so I've cut the heads off the plugs ready for a coat of plastidip or similar at some stage:
IMG_20200920_134040.jpg
While doing this, I jacked up the drivers side rear (had already done the passengers side from the same point without issue), as it was jacking it went crunch and the car slipped down onto a jack a bit, so I quickly dropped it back to the ground and discovered this gaping hole that I'd just punched:
IMG_20200920_132911.jpg
...which is depressing. Looks like the cancer is more extensive than I expected in this car, but I feel like I've already invested so much into it that I may as well look at getting this repaired (assuming it is possible to repair). I'll comfort myself in doing it in the name of keeping one on the road instead of reducing their numbers even further.

User avatar
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 3130
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:04 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Copper Red
Location: Hengoed - South Wales
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 481 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by mrspiller » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:15 pm

rotatopotato wrote:Next tasks done:

Fitted a shoft (no pics).

Did a headlight restore with the Armourall wipes kit, didn't get a before pic but they were noticeably yellow, so I'm pretty happy with how this turned out for £9:
IMG_20200920_140825.jpg
After getting a hold of the stone guard strips off Bigpete, I discovered that they can't be fitted as a few of the plug holes have been patched over at the rear of the sills, so I've cut the heads off the plugs ready for a coat of plastidip or similar at some stage:
IMG_20200920_134040.jpg
While doing this, I jacked up the drivers side rear (had already done the passengers side from the same point without issue), as it was jacking it went crunch and the car slipped down onto a jack a bit, so I quickly dropped it back to the ground and discovered this gaping hole that I'd just punched:
IMG_20200920_132911.jpg
...which is depressing. Looks like the cancer is more extensive than I expected in this car, but I feel like I've already invested so much into it that I may as well look at getting this repaired (assuming it is possible to repair). I'll comfort myself in doing it in the name of keeping one on the road instead of reducing their numbers even further.
Ouch that’s nasty


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 2409
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:38 pm
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black
Location: Colchester, Essex
Has thanked: 793 times
Been thanked: 712 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by New Duke » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:41 pm

rotatopotato wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:34 pm
While doing this, I jacked up the drivers side rear (had already done the passengers side from the same point without issue), as it was jacking it went crunch
Sorry to see that and glad you were unhurt. This is why I always jack from the diff or the front central jacking point. Given that all our sills are a weak spot.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post:
rotatopotato (Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:15 pm)

rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:11 pm
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Glasgow
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by rotatopotato » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:50 pm

From the Diff, should have thought of that 🙄
Just hoping it's repairable.

User avatar
ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member
Posts: 20127
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:04 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Cheltenham
Has thanked: 5606 times
Been thanked: 2567 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by ChrisHolmes » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:34 pm

Also place your axle stands on the subframe mounts at the front and tie down lug at rear or subframe mount again.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
rotatopotato (Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:15 pm)
AB Bucket seats and 5 point harnesses
Street Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel
Tein MonoSports with EDFC Active
Racing Beat F&R ARBs
Racing Brake 4 Pot Front Calipers
Racing Brake two piece slotted & drilled discs
LED Rear Lights
LED 3rd Brake light with blink effect
MazdaSpeed skirts
Safety Devices Full cage
Royal Steering wheel
Mishimoto Catch Tank

User avatar
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 3130
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:04 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Copper Red
Location: Hengoed - South Wales
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 481 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by mrspiller » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:51 pm

ChrisHolmes wrote:Also place your axle stands on the subframe mounts at the front and tie down lug at rear or subframe mount again.
I normally Jack it up on the rear lug which attaches to the subframe
Can normally get 3 wheels off the ground


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:11 pm
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Glasgow
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by rotatopotato » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:15 pm

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:34 pm
Also place your axle stands on the subframe mounts at the front and tie down lug at rear or subframe mount again.
Ahh so using the usual place on the sills is actually just not a great idea full stop?

And here's where I start showing my ignorance when it comes to cars vs motorbikes - where are the subframe mounts / tie down lug?

User avatar
ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member
Posts: 20127
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:04 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Cheltenham
Has thanked: 5606 times
Been thanked: 2567 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by ChrisHolmes » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:26 pm

At the front just behind where the lower are rear mount is bolted you will see a bolt head and a stud with a nut which is the rear mount. To Jack the car centrally at the front look at the rear edge of the under tray and you will see it has a cut out around a raised section if the subframe, this is a central jacking point.

At the rear you can jack on the rear most suspension arm chassis mounting bracket at either side. You will see a big lug sticking down from the chassis just in from the front edge of the inner wheel arch and your axle stand can go on there.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
rotatopotato (Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:29 pm)
AB Bucket seats and 5 point harnesses
Street Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel
Tein MonoSports with EDFC Active
Racing Beat F&R ARBs
Racing Brake 4 Pot Front Calipers
Racing Brake two piece slotted & drilled discs
LED Rear Lights
LED 3rd Brake light with blink effect
MazdaSpeed skirts
Safety Devices Full cage
Royal Steering wheel
Mishimoto Catch Tank

rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:11 pm
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Glasgow
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by rotatopotato » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:31 pm

Cheers, I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Taking it back to preserve & Protect on Friday so they can take a look over it. I'm definitely going to prioritise sorting out the body before any other major work (such as porting - though I'll be waiting for RRP to release their semi-pp upgrade anyway).

User avatar
Pippypip
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 10:21 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black
Location: West Midlands
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by Pippypip » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:37 pm

Finally got the engine out..... took so much longer than it should have because of the stupid riveted in Ecu and the fact I didn’t want to drill it out....
Image
These users thanked the author Pippypip for the post:
Vj4sothername (Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:43 pm)

User avatar
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Posts: 26543
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:56 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow
Location: Groomsport, Co Down, NI
Has thanked: 491 times
Been thanked: 2004 times
Contact:

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by warpc0il » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:54 pm

The ECU (aka PCM) is held in by shear-head security bolts.

In production the bolts are fitted as normal but torqued until top of the heads shear off, leaving a cone section protruding.
This is unique to the UK market and is part of the Thatcham-Approved Security required by UK insurers, and is designed to prevent physical tampering with the PCM.

To remove the bolts you can either;
- cut a slot across the top with an angle grinder or Dremal, and use a screwdriver
- centre-punch the head and drill the head off
- " " " " " with a left-handed bit, that usually spins the bolt out once the bit starts to bite (my preferred method)
- drill with a smaller bit and use an Easi-out (this has never worked for me).

When refitting replace with allen bolts.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
Pippypip (Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:58 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:48 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

User avatar
Pippypip
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 10:21 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black
Location: West Midlands
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by Pippypip » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:58 pm

warpc0il wrote:The ECU (aka PCM) is held in by shear-head security bolts.

In production the bolts are fitted as normal but torqued until top of the heads shear off, leaving a cone section protruding.
This is unique to the UK market and is part of the Thatcham-Approved Security required by UK insurers, and is designed to prevent physical tampering with the PCM.

To remove the bolts you can either;
- cut a slot across the top with an angle grinder or Dremal, and use a screwdriver
- centre-punch the head and drill the head off
- " " " " " with a left-handed bit, that usually spins the bolt out once the bit starts to bite (my preferred method)
- drill with a smaller bit and use an Easi-out (this has never worked for me).

When refitting replace with allen bolts.
Ah I probably should have looked into it more before removing the engine.... May have been a bit too impatient I think...

rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:11 pm
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Glasgow
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by rotatopotato » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:40 pm

Managed 27.5mpg driving to Inverness, which I'm pretty chuffed with 😁
These users thanked the author rotatopotato for the post:
Honkytonk (Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:56 pm)

User avatar
ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member
Posts: 20127
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:04 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Cheltenham
Has thanked: 5606 times
Been thanked: 2567 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by ChrisHolmes » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:50 pm

Average speed cameras certainly cause fuel savings!
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
rotatopotato (Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:22 pm)
AB Bucket seats and 5 point harnesses
Street Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel
Tein MonoSports with EDFC Active
Racing Beat F&R ARBs
Racing Brake 4 Pot Front Calipers
Racing Brake two piece slotted & drilled discs
LED Rear Lights
LED 3rd Brake light with blink effect
MazdaSpeed skirts
Safety Devices Full cage
Royal Steering wheel
Mishimoto Catch Tank

User avatar
geofftl1000r
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:31 pm
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey
Location: Redhill
Has thanked: 184 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by geofftl1000r » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:21 pm

Struts for the bonnet arrived finally. No more playing with sticks trying to hold the thing open in the wind.
Attachments
20200921_162752.jpg
These users thanked the author geofftl1000r for the post (total 2):
Vj4sothername (Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:31 pm) • Bigblueknight3k (Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:32 pm)
40th Anniversary RX8
R3 Wheels: PZ Coilovers: RRP 'Red' Coils: RRP Engine mounts (softer ones): RRP COFS: RRP Blue Pulleys: Silicon hoses in blue: Goodridge brake lines: HEL clutch line: Racing Beat ARB's: SS Braided oil lines: Mishimoto radiator (oem fans)

User avatar
Bigblueknight3k
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:14 am
Location: Gillingham dorset
Has thanked: 174 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by Bigblueknight3k » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:33 pm

Yep it is the best thing that lol worthy job and so worth doing

Sent from my LM-Q630 using Tapatalk


User avatar
Honkytonk
Communications Team
Communications Team
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:52 pm
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire
Has thanked: 297 times
Been thanked: 652 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by Honkytonk » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:56 pm

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:50 pm
Average speed cameras certainly cause fuel savings!
God those bloody things along the A9 are hateful I want to meet whoever put them in and strangle them with a length of haggis.
These users thanked the author Honkytonk for the post:
rotatopotato (Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 pm)
Have a gander at my Diamond in the Rough (Now with extra Orange!) in
The P-Shed Project Thread

And my OEM-only Luton Adonis, the awful(ly fantastic!) Mighty Vectra

rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:11 pm
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Glasgow
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by rotatopotato » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 pm

Honkytonk wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:56 pm
ChrisHolmes wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:50 pm
Average speed cameras certainly cause fuel savings!
God those bloody things along the A9 are hateful I want to meet whoever put them in and strangle them with a length of haggis.
Aye!

Post Reply

Return to “RX-8 Discussion”