What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Place for discussions about the RX-8
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Post by SeeJay »

All I use on my headlights is Meguiar's Plast-Rx..a good rubbing with that,buff off and sparkling. Admittedly my headlights are 95% clear,it's just on the small areas that are starting to haze that I use it,once every couple of months.
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

Hope that the Maguires stuff I used keeps them clear longterm, it's "meant" to last a year, we'll see, shall we.
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeeJay »

Paul,doesn't the 'kit' include Plast-Rx :?:
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

I need to do mine so will be interesting to see how yours last.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Kit just includes bottle of cleaner (cutting compound) and head light protector (clear spray) and a couple of scotch bright pads. The spray made them clear after the rather dull finish left by the cleaner. No further description.
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

RobinPZ72 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:48 pm
Oh Chris that's not pretty at all!!! Have you seen the vid with the guy using a pillar drill, fine grit stone and a knacked rotary as a guide to size the side seals???

I used old school T-Cut to restore my head lights and to be honest they were well hazed over and a few T-Cuts and back to new!!
yes saw that and now I have a knackered rotor to play with I can raid my store of timber offcuts and build myself a similar set up. Last time I used a stone of the same diameter as a corner seal in a Dremel mounted in a vice.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
RobinPZ72 (Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:16 pm)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

I've seen a YouTube video of side seal clearance grinding and it was done with a dremel/die grinder in a vice with a mounted point (stone on a stick) think a pillar drill would be a bit slow (rpm) as mounted points are used at thousands of revs per minute, where as a pillar drill would be measured in hundreds of revs per minute.
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

I’ve used the Megs kit as well. It did a good job. I did go over it with a finer polish after the scouring pad. Then only did a single coat.

I tried scouring pad then a couple of coats and I could see scratches from the pad. I let it dry then removed it and tried again with a finer polish, much better but the second coating for me made the appearance worse than a single coating. After removing it all again I did scouring pad, fine polish and then single coating.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

I did scouring pad side first, then flipped it over and used the backing side, seemed to get the job done ok
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Fitted LED 3rd wake light today, nice easy job, noticed just the slightest bit of rust on the end of the hole, so gave it a clean and sprayed with some spray paint I had left over from my spoiler respray, should be on now for a few years, noticed the old rubber was starting to show signs of perishing, you have to love sunlight silver if only for the paint match ability
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeeJay »

Paul,did you need to wire in a resistor :?:

I understand this is necessary on the S1 :-k
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Well I have no error and I'm not using a resistor, used scotch locks to wire in new led unit, I'm assuming it works, its difficult to see and I'm not fast enough to press the brake peddle then run round the back and look. Will have a look before I go out as now it's dark I might be able to see it reflected in another cars window
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeeJay »

Delanor wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:38 pm
You don`t need a resistor for the LED upper brake light its only required if you change the rear lights as well to LED`s as it affects the brake light monitoring circuit.

Del.
Sorry Paul,seems you're good to go..I knew I'd seen a post by Del regarding a resistor :thumright:
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Think that's if you have led tail lights as well, think the ecu is looking for a certain current draw for traction control so if you have all leds you won't draw enough current and the ecu thinks there is an issue. May look at led tail lights later next year but have other goodies and jobs to do first.
Have a good night tonight guys and girls, remember there are thousands of bolts holding a rex together, it only takes one nut to spread them all over the road, be careful out there guys see you next year.
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post (total 4):
SeeJay (Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:50 pm) • goodeggbob (Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:41 pm) • geofftl1000r (Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:18 pm) • johnbb99 (Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:17 pm)
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by bigpete8 »

Looked at her and thought about how the start will go as she's been sat since 20th December...
Been on AA solar charger whole time but not much daylight this time of year in the darkest NE!
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

Jump starter power pack like one of these?

Yesterday I spent a while with a decent multimeter finding decent grounds for my amp, it kept on blowing it's 100amp fuse and I think it was down to the ground I was using at the back of the car.
IMG_20181231_150639.jpg
Also painted a rear foglight delete bezel from the USA, going to use a laser that will shine out of the middle of it.
IMG_20181231_160248.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeeW
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro

Post by LeeW »

Changed the gearbox oil to redline from the millers trx stuff and what a difference. absolutely no crunches anymore. engine oil and filter changed.
AEM fitted too and scheduled in another dyno run for the end of the week to see what difference exhaust and CAI has actually made...

also the second variant of a custom headlight mock up complete. think I'm going to alter the design ever so slightly but I will take this to the next step now. need to work out how to mount the array and diffuse it before the clear lense... got some ideas. the sequence goes; sidelights on with animation, brake light test, indicator animation, then sidelights off with animation...

Kuro 174/500.

RRP midpipe (single resonator) w/ Pettit/Milltek cat-back, RRP MK2 Coils and MSD leads, AEM Cold Air Intake, RRP Custom Map, Royal Steering Wheels custom wheel. Mazdaspeed bodykit, Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s, Smoked LED rear lights, Stoney Racing Hose Kit, Lots of red in the engine bay.

#174’s journey: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=78506
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

Looks good, when I did my rear lights I used some discarded fire escape light cover to diffuse, can just about see them here in this pic when I was the process of tinting them
IMG_20180721_155138.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

So today has been another day off, so took the opportunity to complete my double oil change and filter change as well, really need a new trolly jack, it's nearly using a much oil as the rex, filter came off nice and easy unlike in the past where its been a pain.
Also learned how to be a contortionist adjusting the clutch peddle free play, would be so easy if the rest of the car wasn't in the way. Took it out for a quick spin and the clutch/gear change feels better maybe even a little lighter, although that could be placebo effect.
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by bigpete8 »

untakenname wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:40 pm
Jump starter power pack like one of these?
Yeah have one.. 🤔
Don't expect to need it though you never know...
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

brix79
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by brix79 »

LeeW wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:02 pm
That's some great work with the lights Lee. 8)

There have been a few really good examples recently of light mods. =D>
John
Forum Admin Team

2021- // 2009 Sparkling Black R3 | Pettit Exhaust | 20mm Eibachs

2017-21 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3 | Gone, never to return, never to be forgotten.
2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone. But Lives(d?) on.
exiled--viking
Former Member
Former Member

Post by exiled--viking »

love those lights lee got any spare time for mine I got some lights that need modding ;) ;) I would pay you :D :D :D
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by bigpete8 »

Started her up and drove 😁 to work ☹️
(She's stood idle since the weekend before Christmas)
Sunlight Silver 231

geofftl1000r
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by geofftl1000r »

LeeW wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:02 pm
Changed the gearbox oil to redline from the millers trx stuff and what a difference. absolutely no crunches anymore. engine oil and filter changed.
AEM fitted too and scheduled in another dyno run for the end of the week to see what difference exhaust and CAI has actually made...

also the second variant of a custom headlight mock up complete. think I'm going to alter the design ever so slightly but I will take this to the next step now. need to work out how to mount the array and diffuse it before the clear lense... got some ideas. the sequence goes; sidelights on with animation, brake light test, indicator animation, then sidelights off with animation...

Like the Star Ship Enterprise pattern! :thumright:
40th Anniversary RX8
R3 Wheels: PZ Coilovers: RRP 'Red' Coils: RRP Engine mounts (softer ones): RRP COFS: RRP Blue Pulleys: Silicon hoses in blue: Goodridge brake lines: HEL clutch line: Racing Beat ARB's: SS Braided oil lines: Mishimoto radiator (oem fans)
LeeW
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro

Post by LeeW »

untakenname wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:35 pm
Looks good, when I did my rear lights I used some discarded fire escape light cover to diffuse, can just about see them here in this pic when I was the process of tinting them
IMG_20180721_155138.jpg
cheers for that, I'll look into it. how did you manage to separate the lense around the key hole so neatly? I drilled a ring of pilot holes then cut between them, but it's a bit messy. this unit is just a test bed for me so I wasn't too worried about it being perfect. but I would love help on how/where best to cut them open and any good tips on resealing...
Kuro 174/500.

RRP midpipe (single resonator) w/ Pettit/Milltek cat-back, RRP MK2 Coils and MSD leads, AEM Cold Air Intake, RRP Custom Map, Royal Steering Wheels custom wheel. Mazdaspeed bodykit, Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s, Smoked LED rear lights, Stoney Racing Hose Kit, Lots of red in the engine bay.

#174’s journey: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=78506