Place for discussions about the RX-8
maddog1681
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dealer Experience - whats yours like?

Post by maddog1681 »

After much begging I finally got my RX8 and I love it!! After I bought it I noticed a rattle coming from the dash and my alloy wheels locking nuts were damaged. I asked the dealer if he could have a look at this and get them replaced. The dealer looked at the car and replaced the locking wheal nuts after 2 months and many phone calls later and they still have not sorted out the rattle and seem to have no intention on sorting this out. I bought the car from Tunbridge Wells Mazda when they were Drake and Fletcher they have now changed hands and they just don’t seem to want to help, is there another Mazda dealer around Tunbridge area that you guys can recommend.
GhillieDhu
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by GhillieDhu »

Hi maddog1681, I'd recommend the guys in Romford.... They've helped me out endlessly recently to the point that I now have taken my custom from Bishop Stortford to Romford.

Toodle pip, G.
Mods:
Axxess Mod (with LCD)
Blue LED's
SS V-Crest
Tagra Reversing Sensor (soon ;o))

Rotary Rev's Coils in at 51K
wolf_ed
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by wolf_ed »

Has anyone tried servicing stop or warranty wise?

Picking up my Rex next week and want to find a good dealer/garage (around Edinburgh) and they came up in the google search.
Having a search on here and Murray mazda seem to have pretty positive feedback, I'm assuming best to stick with Mazda but curious if there are alternatives.
bling
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by bling »

Donalds group in Ipswich done me well! Mike couldn't do anymore than he could and at one point I said " calm down a little I can wait " I would recommend this guy anytime!
Tints, Front splitter, Side Bits, Polished chrome fuel cover, Chrome Wipers, Lockwood grills, Strakes, Wheel spacers, lowered, Lowered offset plate, Large lip spoiler.... to be fitted, Parrot kit, Stainless Steel T-304 Exhaust CatBack System, Chrome and leather gear knob, Chrome alloys, Metalic part Wrap, legal led daytime lights
rammy
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by rammy »

Sorry coming on as a first post with negative - but am suffering big time with really crappy dealer service.

Origionally bought my REX about 3 years ago from dealer in Rochdale. They "serviced" it for when I picked it up. Was driving it along the motorway to visit someone - started knocking which gradually got worse. Took it into another Mazda dealer who found 1 wheel was missed 1 nut and all the rest were very loose. All the other wheels the nuts were not tightened. Did complain and got a free sevrice - but could have been very serious.

Now suffering with the coil fail problem. Had a service done in Warrington 4000 miles ago. I had said was suffering with lose of power. Got told 2 coils replaced. This last week had drive to from Manchester to London and back. On way back power was diminishing. My imeediate thought being that another coil gone. Gradually got worse - just as got home started overheating andf major loss in power - got on drive and coolant boiled over.

This forum very useful and after reading loads decided to do coil replace myself - decided to do all 4 HT leads and plugs from MRP. However had high suspicion that cat would be gone also. Have today replaced the coils and other stuff. Found 1 HT lead not connected at either end at all - just hanging there. A spark plug not screwed hard in. Can only conclude from last service. Having done these at idle engine seemed to run much smoother - but when driving still well short of power. So have concluded cat shot - sounds very likely with what car has been through. Have one on order from mrp so have to keep fingers crossed.

But - do these mazda dealers employ monkeys. My experience has been just one basic error after another.

Rammy
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Shagrington »

HI and :welcome: rammy. I think dealers vary from one end of the spectrum to the other ... unfortunately you found one at the wrong end. :?
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
rammy
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by rammy »

Thanks Shagrington. Yes I hope you are right.

One question - at the time of the overheating and loss of power no lights on the dash came on. But today having replaced the coils/HT/plugs and the yellow engine warning light came on when starting up. Reading the manual says can be low fuel (not this) electircal problems (just replaced), emmission problems. I am banking on the last one and hope replacing the cat the problem should be resolved. Can I hope that the light will just go out on its own - or will it need resetting by a dealer ?
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Shagrington »

Dunno :oops: Could be that having replaced plugs leads and coils (presumably you disconnected the battery?) the ECU is resetting itself or needs resetting/ (I am guessing of course :whistle: ). Personally any warning light and I would find someone with a thing for reading fault codes - or I'd be off to the dealer to have it checked. Just make sure you find a decent dealer this time. :wink:
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
rammy
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by rammy »

Oh no - didnt disconnect the battery !! Could i have buggered up the ECU ? Would the car run if that was knackered ?
Matt Shepherd
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Matt Shepherd »

I live in a little town called Macduff! About 45 miles outside of aberdeen - if anybody can recomend any garage within 100 miles with rotary experience id be very greatfull! I think the only mazda dealer is Arnold clark who ive heard mix things about - any other choices?

I will be signing up to the club the moment im paid :D
I own an rx8! \:D/
05, 192 PS, 26600mi - Sunlight Silver
therebelious1
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3

Post by therebelious1 »

Hello to Macduff!
I've decided to go to Barnetts Mazda in Dundee.
I wouldn't go to Arnold Clark ever again- they properly shafted me for servicing on my Clio a couple of years ago. It was a 52 plate low end Clio, and servicing costs were more expensive than my next car- a 2001 Y A4. They seriously extract the urine.
BlueNev
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by BlueNev »

Chris Allen Mazda on the outskirts of Fleetwood are great!!!
Just had the third year service, an MOT, the strakes changed under warrenty, the Water tank changed under warrenty, and identified a rattle problem... (see photo when added soon). And they owe me £30!!!
Mazda placed £200 in the pot for a problem when the car was bought. I supplied my own oil and plugs (thanks to RX8 owner... name to follow).

All in all I would happily drive from south of Preston to Fleetwood (30 miles) any day to have the car serviced etc.
They also pointed out the wear on the inside of the front discs and rust on the rear (not using them enough.)
At least two coils were all shot and will be replace hopefully by Mazda in time.
Photos sent for passenger door bubble and bubbles on steering wheel... using the wrong hand cream ... NOT probably delexia oil!
Apparently the only breakdowns they get at this mazda dealer are RX8's with the old starter motor with starting issues and the odd diff.
Cheers
Nev
57 231 Winning Blue, Leather+Mio Satnav+B Pillars+Dragon, SS Crest+Strakes+FuelDoor+lockwood grills+DragonBrakeLight+CF Engine Cover+Gold Calipers
"Carbon Sequestration Starts Here... apply Within For My Carbon Dioxide"
Matt Shepherd
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Matt Shepherd »

therebelious1 wrote:Hello to Macduff!
I've decided to go to Barnetts Mazda in Dundee.
I wouldn't go to Arnold Clark ever again- they properly shafted me for servicing on my Clio a couple of years ago. It was a 52 plate low end Clio, and servicing costs were more expensive than my next car- a 2001 Y A4. They seriously extract the urine.
ahhh there is life in the world of rx8's up this way! ill look out for you when im in aberdeen lol

And thats spot on mate thanks for the heads up, sorry to hear about the rodgering though :( ill give Barnetts a call tomorrow before i head off to nightshift - mind if i ask why you choose them?
I own an rx8! \:D/
05, 192 PS, 26600mi - Sunlight Silver
45doyle
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by 45doyle »

I've no success with either of my local dealers here in Bristol - 'Williams'; and 'Landsdown'.

When I first had an RX about two years ago it went in for a service at 'Williams', and came out, not only covered in finger prints, but with a few more dents then it went in with. None too pleased me thinks - but they said they'd sort it as I had to get the rust on the bottom rear doors sorted.

A few weeks later it went into one of their approved garages - 'Central Bodyshop', Brislington, Bristol. After a fair few weeks wait I went to collect the car, and, 'oh dear'!!!......the work was awful! They had over spray on the insides of the doors and had missed painting one bit all together leaving it in white primer! They then accused me that I was being too fussy (and laughed at me, and that was the bodyshop manager)!!!! After much 'shouting' they agreed to do the work again.....a few days later, off I went again....this time the paint had a 'fish-eye' in one of the doors.....then as I walked around the car, I noticed a huge parking dent in the drivers door!!! The car also had about 30 miles more on it then when it went in and the engine management light was on too.? More 'shouting' and eventually they got it right. It was bad enough that a 4-year old car was rusting badly....but to be treated like this was not acceptable, A complaint to Mazda UK didn't come to much either........

Within a few weeks - the boot lid bottom had started to corrode so of I went again....this time it was classed as a 'stone-chip' and wouldn't be fixed. And 'No' the paint hadn't broken through (so was coming from the inside out) and how would I get a stone chip there anyhow...driving backwards fast? Again I complained to Mazda UK and they looked at it again, and said the same thing, 'its caused by a stone chip'. I was furious by this point, and my mind was made up to sell the car when the back doors rusted again, and the rear arch lips were going the same way. A one-owner 30,000 mile car should not be like this. Car sold very quickly.

Anyhow, fast forward to a few months back, and I just had to have another one!!! Enter a 2006 20,000 mile car.....and within a few weeks of ownership I'm off to 'Williams' already to show them rust on the boot lid in the same place as my last one....Another stone-chip, eh! Nope this time they came back and said its just surface rust and isn't covered. I'm getting the lid re-painted myself this time at a cost of £170. I just love the car though, so can't sell this one.....but my dealer experience here isn't good....they just aren't interesting in helping you at all!!!! And Mazda UK are even worse...
girl_ricer
Former Member
Former Member

Post by girl_ricer »

I would just say I have had great service from Bryers which is just outside Camarthen. When I bought the car they were really good, and also today when I had the coolant tank changed under warranty.

I've heard good things about them from other people who have bought and had cars serviced by them previously and its been nice to experience myself. I'm not sure how competitive their labour rates are etc.. but sometimes its worth paying the extra for feeling like a "person" in a garage and not someone else on a conveyor belt.
45doyle
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by 45doyle »

The problem with the coolant tank issues, bit like the alloys - which cost Mazda about £5 to produce - yep £5 (Lexus are the same), is they just replace it was the same part, from the same batch, which have about a 50% fail rate. My old car was only 3 years old and they (Mazda) refused to change it - I brought the part and had it fitted, and within 18 months it was faulty again! Haven't bothered on my present car - though I have been informed you can buy the sender unit only now.
JimmyK
Non Member
Non Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by JimmyK »

I bought mine from Perrys Mazda in Blackburn, which is a bit of a trek for me as I'm in Bradford, but the car was the one I wanted so I stuck with it. Took it down to fix rear condensated light which has been fixed, coolant bottle not replaced as I was told they had none in stock so would have to contact me when they had some. Didn't tell me they had ordered one, just said they would ring me. One question I have is the car came with a 12 month warranty as standard, but driving 55 miles is a real pain in the backside, could I go to a local dealership and have them do the coolant bottle for me? I asked Perrys this but was told I would have to have the work done there. :-/
monkeynuts875
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by monkeynuts875 »

Hi i live in doncaster, recently bought an 04 231 and as it has full service history i'm looking to keep it that way has anyone had any experiance with dealerships in or around the south yorkshire area? any advice would be great!
Mine - 04 231 Nordic Green.
aa1599
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by aa1599 »

I have a slightly different experience of Romford Mazda

The staff are very courteous but I bought a second hand 54 231 from them and have had problems with it ever since.

I have taken it there 12x in the last two years but am still plagued by a recurrent engine light problem and now the economy has gone from 200 to 150 per tank.

Fair enough, its probably not there fault but half the time they said there is nothing wrong with it when clearly there was.

Chris was very helpful, but I am now trying to look for somewhere else in London to have this problem fixed
duffbyname
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by duffbyname »

Hello aa1959, sorry to hear of your experiences with Romford. Unfortunately I had a similar problem with them, they had my car a total of 18 days to fix a rattle and failed miserably even though I told them repeatedly to phone Naymills dealership as they had repaired a members car with the same fault. So in desperation I tried Bourne Road Mazda (Crayford), 2 days later the car was fixed, since then I've used them for everything. Shame that Romford (couldn't even do a few simple jobs during my 1st service without me going back 3 times) aren't better as they're litterally 3 minutes walk from my house, now I travel about 20 miles each way. At least I have confidence in them to do what I ask :lol:

Iain
Lockwood grills, lowered offset plate, SS Strakes, Rotary accent, Borla exhaust. Tein coilovers. Racing beat anti roll bars, Hayward rebuild incl porting, lightened flywheel,Racing beat resonated decat, racing beat ram-air duct

There's only one place you'll find sympathy - between sh1t and syphillis in the dictionary !

Never let the truth get in the way of a good wind-up
Bear rx-8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by Bear rx-8 »

Hey all,
Not read all this thread but thought I'd put my experience on here from JOhn Peese (think that’s how it's spelt) in Braintree Essex.

Well to start with a serious lack of Customer service concerned me, but they had the car I wanted so bought it I did.

As soon as I had the paint work protected (day of collection) I saw that a wheel had a scuff. They refused to accept it came that way as they have an independent person who checks over every vehicle.
Funny how that person did not spot the fact that I was missing fuses out the fuse box so I had to take the car back to have this problem sorted lighting not working properly, boot release not working etc. Very high standard of checks. At which point my car was basically drifted around the garage by some snot nose young idiot. Impressed? I don't think so.

So words it was with the sales MGR. He agreed to have the wheel rectified and they gave me details of the company to do it for me. Only for that company to call me twice on the days they were due to do the repairs, the second time saying, we can't even fix those type wheels anyway. Days off for mobile repair works to be carried out well spent!!! Another fantastic company!!!!

Minor some may think, not when you've paid these guys 23k.

Long and short, would not go anywhere near them with a matchbox RX-8 let alone my real little rascal.
duorx8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by duorx8 »

Just had mine serviced by Alan Gibson of Basingstoke for the second time.

Helpfully, they came and collected it from and returned it (cleaned and hoovered!) to my home as I couldn't wait for a courtesy car.

They noted the broken AR Bar links, but I'll fix those myself.

Service cost a fairly reasonable £210 - No complaints and I'll seriously consider getting them to service it again next year.

M
mikezero
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by mikezero »

monkeynuts875 wrote:Hi i live in doncaster, recently bought an 04 231 and as it has full service history i'm looking to keep it that way has anyone had any experiance with dealerships in or around the south yorkshire area? any advice would be great!

Try this one in Doncaster, I'll be using them next year as I've lost faith in my local franchise dealer.

http://www.mx5motors.com/
catt56
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: Nemesis

Post by catt56 »

We have a dealer near Leeds and they are good but not as good as the first poster mentions - I think i got a glass of water - no coffee. However they did a great job on the car
For a wide range of car mats visit mycarsmats.co.uk
meltedbuzzbox
Former Member
Former Member

Post by meltedbuzzbox »

I bought my second car from GK Group in Mansfield.

Its a bit of a mixed bag really. Upon arrival on the test drive I was told I would have to pay £500 for a 12 month warranty as GK Group refuse to sell RX8s without this warranty. So I refused to pay that and expressed my annoyance about this ghost fee that wasn't mentioned on the phone and the sales man shuffled off to speak to his boss and the must pay £500 warranty was no longer an issue.

Took the car for a spin, was happy with etc etc and began the haggle. I ended up getting the warranty thrown in for £200 I think (was a lot cheaper than warranty offered on line) and I gave the sales man a large list of checks to perform... white spots on the coils, compression, a squeak in the clutch etc.

Found the staff really unhelpful when the Mazda salesman wasn't in, especially the manager. He seemed very dismissive and uninterested about helping me with my queries. I spoke to him several times and he also seemed eager to be unhelpful and dismissive

Generally my salesman was alright. Could have been a little more attentive but he did what was asked of him.

All in all I am reasonably happy, just shocked about the manager more than anything.

anyway, that was my experience
I love a girl with a trimmed bush because it makes it easier to see into her window at night.