Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 192
Colour: Winning Blue
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: It's a great car and other non-negative RX8 stuff

Post by rotarypaul »

Well, had mine for a week now. Low mileage MY07 192. Until yesterday I had just thought it was a pretty car (it's winning blue and standard). Had read about all the possible problems but they didn't worry me too much. I have had plenty of 'normal' cars with problems! Yesterday's road trip with Jph leading and me following the Evo down single track roads sure showed me the capability of this car - even with wife and daughter with me. Unfortunately had to finish trip too early but I was now buzzing . Have driven around some beautiful Cheshire roads this sunny morning and that 4000 rev point is now my new guilty pleasure from which I know fun will start. This car has such good traction around corners that it simply swallows winding roads with no effort. A bit more power would be great but at the moment is fine. Great car.
the goose
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by the goose »

Well 4 weeks in yes it's thirsty,not as quick as my old Scooby but do I care? Nope the Rex sounds awesome,handles far better is a pleasure to drive,love the Bose system,and the beep but still not had rear hanging out not that I'm bothered,tbf I'm still learning to drive it as one of the members said to drive it properly drive it a gear lower than a piston engine car which is right even the Mrs likes it but doesn't get to drive very much thankfully,I may well track it at some point nothing else has given me the eurge to want to do it lol
dilbert
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by dilbert »

Arrived back from Venice in the early hours having covered 3350 km in 10 days. The car didn't miss a beat and returned some pretty impressive mpg figures over the trip regularly seeing 500 km on a tankfull :!:

With a best calculated mpg of 29.1 on the way back yesterday :shock: this was with a fully loaded car and 3 up.

Not sure if it's my imagination but having run low on Castrol racing and being unable to source any on a couple of fuel stops I ended up buying Shell Advance VSX 2 which seemed as good if not better for premixing with a slightly less invasive smell in the cabin when stopped in one of the numerous traffic jams on the way back yesterday.
brix79
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by brix79 »

:shock: =D> :thumleft:
John
Forum Admin Team

2021- // 2009 Sparkling Black R3 | Pettit Exhaust | 20mm Eibachs

2017-21 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3 | Gone, never to return, never to be forgotten.
2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone. But Lives(d?) on.
Kate0710
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231

Post by Kate0710 »

I have had mine for a couple of months now, and every time I come out of my house, even at 5.30am to go to work which I despise, I see it on the driveway and just smile because even though I live 8 minutes from my work it means I start my day every day with something to look forward to.

My boyfriend is not allowed to touch it. He is itching to get his hands on it but I'm having none of it. Might have been the jokes about doing doughnuts in a crowded car park that did it... (He's 38...)

I love everything about this car, everything is within perfect reach, I don't have to move far for anything, the pedals are perfectly spaced even for my big feet, it's got the power and the looks and the noise... People do turn around and look and for the first time it's not because I'm in some old banger with smoke heaving out of the engine.

It's a brilliant car.

The only downside is that I seem to be the designated driver a lot more often now because my friends all want to go in "Kate's lovely car" instead of their Peugeots and VW Golfs!
These users thanked the author Kate0710 for the post (total 2):
Shagrington (Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:19 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:14 pm)
brix79
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by brix79 »

That's temporarily one less Golf on the road then. =D>

I've had a pretty difficult 12 months, but there's one thing that I always have to brighten things up - Vodka. My RX-8. :mrgreen:

It can happily ferry me about the country, and then when the occasion permits, (like Saturday) you can unleash the beast and take it out for a rip around. :twisted:
John
Forum Admin Team

2021- // 2009 Sparkling Black R3 | Pettit Exhaust | 20mm Eibachs

2017-21 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3 | Gone, never to return, never to be forgotten.
2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone. But Lives(d?) on.
Vian
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Vian »

It definitely still gets attention. I gave a lift to a work colleague a while back and her reaction was "wow, is that your car??". Not bad for an 11 year old thing*

*the car. Not the girl. I'm not a Victorian chimney sweep entrepreneur.
"Don't care if they say we are a dying race, I'd rather be here than any other place"
DanBass
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: PZ

Post by DanBass »

Funny. I gave my colleague a lift to the station the other day and she crapped herself when the exhaust boomfd.

Giggling like a nutter I was. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'96 NA8 MX-5: MeisterR, and soon to be choo-choo'd
'56 Galaxy Grey PZ: sold

'54 Brilliant Black 192: sold
'54 Titanium Grey 192: rebuilt, sold
'53 plate Velocity Red 192: being rebuilt...still

‘67 Sunset Orange BMW 335D MSport Touring
'01 Topaz Blue BMW 330ci convertible
Vian
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Vian »

Has to be done!

My other favourite is waiting for the reaction when I say it's a 1.3...
"Don't care if they say we are a dying race, I'd rather be here than any other place"
Markryan1981
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Markryan1981 »

Two and a half years in, after buying my eight for a mere £1,500 (okay, I did blew another £1,000 after I bought her upgrading her with new ignition, Vreds etc), I love my car more than ever. I can honestly say its the best value, per pound, than any other purchase I have ever made in my entire life. It drove my son, daughter, wife, Phil and Ted buggy, about a tonne of baby stuff 100 miles to the Southampton boatshow at the weekend after the far more expensive, newer, family Mazda 6 let us down. It drives me to work every day without fault.

Fun, makes a lovely noise, with a beautiful engine, great looks and is practical to boot (I've fitted a ladder in it before when working on my boat!).

What a cracking car, I'm glad I ignored all the nay sayers telling me to buy a flipping Fiesta.
Mark

“Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.”

Titanium 231. Apex Rebuild @ 90k. Vreds 235/40/R18s, Premixing Motul 710. Fuchs XTR 5w-30. K&N air filter. XCarLink with Bluetooth. RR D585s, NGK Iridium plugs & Magnecor leads. White LEDs. Lockwood Grills. Red Stuff Ceramic pads and drilled discs. Using Tescos 99 ron.

http://www.albinballad.co.uk <- the other daft expensive hobby.
Vian
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Vian »

The missus borrowed the car as she had a rather longer drive than usual to go for a meeting. And it was along the A272, which is one of the better driving roads in the south.

Came back raving about how much fun it was, that it was a hoot on the bends, and that she finally gets what I've been on about the last 18 months!
These users thanked the author Vian for the post:
Jerry halo jones (Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:02 pm)
98of400
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by 98of400 »

Vian wrote:The missus borrowed the car as she had a rather longer drive than usual to go for a meeting. And it was along the A272, which is one of the better driving roads in the south.

Came back raving about how much fun it was, that it was a hoot on the bends, and that she finally gets what I've been on about the last 18 months!
Great news. I guess that means you've decided to keep her after all, the wife that is. Image
These users thanked the author 98of400 for the post:
Vian (Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:55 pm)
Vian
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Vian »

Now if only I could get her to grasp that you can push it beyond 6,000 rpm...

It's not like this is new! My various VTEC Hondas never got as far as the cam change when she drove them, and her own Corolla T Sport - which was bloody swift, and by the way given today's news about VW was a definite lie, since it quoted 0-62 at 8.9 seconds with the same engine as the Celica listed at 7.0 - only had its legs stretched when I drove it.

I did on more than one occasion ask what was the bloody point of choosing a VVT engine as her company car if she wasn't going to use it... :lol:
Leefuss
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Leefuss »

Having had mine for a couple of weeks, as soon as I drove it all the memories of my old 192 came back and I knew I'd made the right choice getting another one. It's still the first and only car that really tugs at my heart strings

While at the petrol station at the weekend, had a young kid giving mine appreciating looks as he was getting into his dad's Fiesta van so I gave him an approving nod :)
Javiatrix
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Javiatrix »

I've had my 2005 231 for just over a month now, and this car is sensational. It's the first car I've found joy in maintaining and treating properly, and it's an added bonus that she loves being treated rough every now and again too ;)

Corners taken at just shy of three figures, that beep, dumping the clutch in first gear on the apex of roundabouts, people give it admiring looks... "Pure automotive magic"
Jerry halo jones
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Jerry halo jones »

I have been pretty fortunate in my life. Served in Germany with the British forces so had many fun BMWs and autobahns... And also was the manager of long life exhausts for a time so got to drive all sorts of cars from moded Nissan's running 400 bhp plus to an invictor with 500bhp and valued at over 1 million invested pounds..had a nice Honda civic vti with all mods and nitrous .....but.......mmmmm.......had never driven a rx8.....don't know what it is ...and actually don't care...I bloody love it....only had it 2weeks body work is rubbish...its on 121000 miles...so I will probably break it...but oh my days....I love it
These users thanked the author Jerry halo jones for the post:
Reedo (Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:52 pm)
Essex2Visuvesi
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Comment in a petrol station a few months back

"Daddy? why cant we have a cool car like that one? *points to my 8*
Proud Member of the Essex Wankelist Massive
Mj224
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by Mj224 »

Had my Evolve for some 6 years now.

Just looks so good as you approach it and drive away.

What other car would you spend £3000 on with 92,000 miles on to renew the engine....

Super car..............Love it..

Mj
wjb
Former Member
Former Member

Post by wjb »

Had mine almost 3 months, still find myself taking random pics of it

8)
Ex - Galaxy Grey Mazda RX8 PZ
Current - BMW X5 & baby YZF

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see, besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
Ttam
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Ttam »

Holy sh*t the dash lights turn red when you turn the headlights on!! All this time my dash lights were on full so were just bright white, found the dimmer this evening. 10 year old me is very happy 8)
Matt

IT'S ALIVE!! IT'S AALLIIVVVEEE!!!!!
WaferShaf
Former Member
Former Member

Re: RE: Re: It's a great car and other non-negative RX8 stuff

Post by WaferShaf »

Ttam wrote:Holy sh*t the dash lights turn red when you turn the headlights on!! All this time my dash lights were on full so were just bright white, found the dimmer this evening. 10 year old me is very happy 8)
Hahaha brill!!
- Shaf - :mrgreen:

RX-8 PZ ProDrive Edition [008/800] (lowered 15mm, Bilstein dampers, Eibach springs), 2006 Galaxy Grey
Completed: D585-R CoilsNGK Iridium plugs & Magnecor leadsN3R3 starterSohn adapterCruise controlCalliper refurbBonnet liftersClimair deflectorsCabin LEDs2Din Metra kit
To do/Wish List: ●Mini map●20mm spacers F&R●Discs●DVR F&R●Body kit●Respray??
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

wjb wrote:Had mine almost 3 months, still find myself taking random pics of it

8)
One phrase I'll always remember - if you find yourself looking back once you've locked your car, then you've bought the right car.
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
wjb (Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:52 pm)
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
ROTOR
Former Member
Former Member

Post by ROTOR »

Whats particularly great about the RX8 is the interest it commands across the spectrum.From casual complimentary comments from passers by, to dedicated owners who value the qualities of this distinctive car. How else can you explain the vitality of this Owners Club and this forum?

The RX8 simply mesmerises !
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Nickp47 »

I have ordered a Leon Cupra and was planning to sell my Evolve to partly find the deposit but just cannot bring myself to do it, never thought it would be so hard to part with a car I paid £700 for!
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Shagrington »

:welcome: Nickp47 - and if you do sell it you will only be buying another one within about 6 months. :lol:
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry: