It's a great car and other non-negative RX8 stuff

Place for discussions about the RX-8
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Re: It's a great car and other non-negative RX8 stuff

Post by kopite72 »

Has to be the Milltek John,the only one for the R3 IMO,not that I'm biased or anything :whistle: :whistle: but the sound really is luuuuurvly from it.I'm running a gutted cat so its.......interesting!! I think Ben has them off the shelf so to speak ( sorry if I'm wrong Ben but I thought this was the case )
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
gibotom
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192

Post by gibotom »

This is a great car indeed. Bought mine about 4 years ago with 30kmiles and now close to 70k its still putting a smile on my mug every time! Its 2004 192 in silver, when I bought it was in really good, factory condition and the price was 1850 :shock:
Thank god [-o< a general public just doesn't know how good this car is, (and/or how to use it :-k ) otherwise it would cost so much more.... as it deserves.
These users thanked the author gibotom for the post:
willberry70 (Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:28 pm)
1gp
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: Prospective Buyer
Been thanked: 0

Post by 1gp »

Well after reading pages of this thread, i know iam making the right choice on buying a rx8. Some people on here, have had some very interesting and fast cars, and everyone gives nothing but total praise for the car.
Legend83
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 231
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by Legend83 »

I'm only two days into ownership and people are looking at me strangely - it must be the ridiculous grin on my face! Probably something to do with the Miltek I had fitted...

Highlight so far was when my BIL drove it, said "boy it's pretty quick" and I told him he still had 3k RPM to play with yet!
DanTheRX8Man
Non Member
Non Member

Post by DanTheRX8Man »

So i owned a rex for just under a year. I loved every second of it. They handle like there on rails and truely is the best car i have ever owned. Its just a shame that there expensive to run (for me anyway). From the sound they make to the luxuries inside the car everything is great. I now have a celica t sport which is nowhere near the same as the rex. Celica is made of cheap, horrible, squeaky, clonky plastic and the only luxury in there is air con (which doesnt work :lol: ) but is quick (to me) in a straight line. the rx8 is everything the celica is not. if i every come into money i will definitely be buying a rx8 again.
These users thanked the author DanTheRX8Man for the post:
willberry70 (Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:28 pm)
GraemeC
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by GraemeC »

I drive my RX8 much, its a summer, weekend car, only used in the dry and when I'm not taking the kids somewhere
(ah well, only 24k on the clock and in immaculate condition so at least I'm keeping the miles off it)
I don't use it to commute as my route is stop/start traffic on the motorway. I have a big comfortable Mercedes for that!

Today I had to take a trip from Chester to Sheffield for work - lovely winding roads through Cheshire and up over the Peaks, so out came the RX8
It was fantastic - fast, comfortable, loads of grip from a new set of Vredestein Ultrac Vorti and the noise - I'm in love again!!!

I think I might have to spend some more time over at our Sheffield office just to enjoy the sublime handling and unmistakable rotary scream!!
These users thanked the author GraemeC for the post:
njkmr (Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:58 pm)
Liam22
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Liam22 »

Cheesey interview but I said it on the telly - it's a great car!

These users thanked the author Liam22 for the post (total 2):
13Black (Fri May 10, 2019 11:41 pm) • willberry70 (Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:29 pm)
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

On the telly - great stuff Liam :notworthy: :lol:

Congrats again on another class win :thumleft:
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

Got pulled today for speeding but luckily even though I was going far too fast and was bang to rights the officer was decent and let me go with a warning even though it was in licence losing territory.

Was followed for a few minutes even though I clocked them quite quickly (luckily as my favourite local stretch of road was coming up), one of them had a RX7 FD back in the day and knew what the redline speed of my car was in 2nd and 3rd gear.....

For some reason my car is showing as un-insured on the police computer so they spent a while making sure it all checked out, I'm pleased I declared all my mods as they went over the car in depth whilst they waited for the insurance details to come back.

Told me to wind in the speed but the overall standard of my driving was high, I'm sure if I was in a different car the outcome may have been very different.

Pleased that I was stopped by some officers with discretion rather than a speed camera which would have put my license at risk.

Heb147
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue
Been thanked: 0

Post by Heb147 »

Saw this thread an age ago and wanted to contribute.

In the last 6 months I've moved half way across the country (London to Warwickshire), had a baby, new job etc. The RX8 has been in the garage on a trickle charger for that time.

Yesterday I got her out ready for the summer (which should be here soon?!) After taking her off the wheel dollies and checking all fluids she started first time instantly within a second. I don't know what I was surprised but they get such a negative press that I was sceptical it would be as easy as that.

Did not miss a beat on a quick half hour blast but forgot how little torque it has, quite a shock after driving a Volvo V50 D5 with 450nm torque for the last 6months. :oops: Didn't fail to put a smile on my face.

I should add its only done 6k miles since an LC Rotary (now LC Motorsports?!) rebuild late 2017. =D> =D> =D>
Stevetheplumb
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Stevetheplumb »

Hi, I’m a relatively new RX8 owner, bought on a whim from the side of the road as I fell in love with the look. I knew it was a rotary engine but that was the extent of my knowledge. I had recently purchased an MR2 as a summer toy and was enjoying driving a less conventional car.
I fell in love with the RX8 on first drive! (Even with a hot start problem and a lot of bs from the vendor) the learning curve was very fast after that. My RX8 is now awaiting a new engine and gearbox plus a few added extras 😏 I’m am already missing driving it with the sunny days around! I’m besotted, even after having the fun of s flooded engine, hot start, leaking oil coolers etc etc
Szerelem
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Szerelem »

Im not sure if this falls into a negative, but i just wanted to have a chuckle at others expense, so sounds negative, but im trying to be tongue in cheek.

So does anyone ever get that pub conversation style chats with strangers, acquaintances about their car? You know the one "Burn a lot of oil do ya? *Grin" or "These cars burn as much oil as petrol" etc. it always makes me laugh a bit when people introduce themselves with these openers, mainly because - what am i supposed todo with that information? Slap my forehead and go "Oh my Lord youre right the car DOES burn oil, oh jesus" I just politely nod and smile, i try to be a humble dude anyway. Theres always the pub knowledge follow up too where they will tell you why the car burns oil, itll be some hear say, or my personal fav some pseudo mechanical knowledge. I had my landlord visit the other day to fix a leak in the roof, nice guy, very country with strong accent, but a fan of the rx8, but he always gives it the ol "burn a lot of oil do ya?" but this time he went a bit further and gave some great knowledge on why, i didnt quite catch it all, his accent is pretty thick and i was busy politely nodding but i distincling remember hearing him say something about gaps in the pistons. Anyway afterwards I thought to myself again; What do people expect me todo with that information, even if it was correct.
Its like if I went to the Formula 1 Paddock and said to a race engineer "Do you know, these F1 engines rev up to 11,000" the engineer would just politely nod and smile at me, because of course he bloody knows.

My fav Rx8 owner anecdote is this, I have a 95 year old Nana who needs some upkeep and care, so I go over a few times a week, my fiesta was having an MOT so I took the 8, back lanes and rural villages bit of a pain in the ass but anyway, so we went out for soup and errands, on the way back through the winding lanes we came across one of her neighbours, a very elderly man of around the same age, bent double as he walked slowly with his walking stick, i pulled up next to him slowly and we said hello, after chatting to my Nana this old wrinkly gentleman in his 90s peered at the car thro his glasses, then raised himself up slowly so he was standing up straight, scratched his nose then looked me straight in the eyes and said "Oh an RX8, these cars are nothing but trouble right?"
These users thanked the author Szerelem for the post:
jondkent (Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:38 pm)
Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan »

After a few years ownership thought I would add my appreciation of this this little beauty while I wait for my flight.

This car is all about the handling and balance which translates into fabulous corner speeds; it is quite light which means one can brake late when approaching a corner; add some sticky semi slicks and reduce that distance further and increase exit speeds. People complain it is under powered, I don’t. Let me explain: I do quite a few Gold Track and VIP track day events and I sometimes for a laugh take the RX8. One gets quite a few strange looks turning up in a car that costs the same as the track day!

Believe you me by the end of the day their attitude has changed to grudging admiration. Around a corner the RX8 is no match for a car with aero but fast non-aero cars such as older 911s, older Ferraris, older Lambos, well different story.

The reason I like the lack of power and torque coupled with great corner speed is that it allows me to play mind games on track. Let's face it, you turn up in a 720s and beat everything in sight and it is fun but ultimately you have the fastest car so everyone has an excuse as to why you overtook them; and you know that is the reason too.

BUT take a RX8 and follow say a Lamborghini Countach and boy the fun one can have. Mind games – making the other driver make a mistake. Nothing worries the driver in front more than having a slower car close the gap every corner, so he is unable to shake you off. Did a Gold Track day at Brands GP circuit a year ago or so and this exact scenario took place. Coming out of Graham Hill bend right on his huge rear wing, can see him looking at me through his wing mirror, through Surtees he floors it and pulls far away towards Hawthorns, but by Stirlings I am back large in his mirrors, he then pulls away again up to Paddock Hill bend whereupon I catch him again. This went on for four laps and he tried to brake later and later for the corners to try and increase the gap but having owned a Countach I knew what was coming; brake failure, and sure enough braking for Clearways after Stirlings no brakes and into the gravel. Went past with a quiet smile on my face. I LOVE THIS LITTLE CAR.

Ranjan.
These users thanked the author Ranjan for the post (total 7):
Ainmhidh (Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:44 pm) • Harrizone (Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:13 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:32 pm) • casey (Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:47 pm) • Shagrington (Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:24 am) • warpc0il (Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:48 am) • willberry70 (Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:51 pm)
shroom
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by shroom »

Well if that's not a glowing review I don't know what is! To have owned a countach and regard the RX-8 so highly just shows what they can do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Harrizone »

Ranjan just reiterating what I myself have experienced on track, but never with the sort of exotic machinery that Ranjan is capable of dicing with, he being a much better driver than I am.
Now a distant memory unfortunately.
jwalla17
Former Member
Former Member

Post by jwalla17 »

Having taken my RX-8 to snowdonia recently, I concur completely with Graeme about the feeling the car gives you when finding the right road. This car demands a sat nav route with B roads (any software devs for Waze reading this, please add this as a feature!).

The 8 has been my only car for 9 months now and the costs aren’t too painful if parking out of town to avoid city driving.
These users thanked the author jwalla17 for the post:
willberry70 (Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:33 pm)
MX-5 RF in Soul Red. My daily driver.
Donut fan. Dorito spinning and Mini Roundabout hopping since 2018.
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

Picked up 3 large flower bouquets for actors today from the florist who apparently does lots of arranging for Eastenders (we got chatting). She kindly strapped the bouquets into the car so that they wouldn't move around in transit and remarked how great the freestyle rear doors are. It made it easier for her to do her job without navigating a b pillar. I remarked that I'm grateful for them every time I have to strap a child in the back.

Another one converted :D
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post:
willberry70 (Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:51 pm)
Techathy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by Techathy »

That torque curve! The absolute numbers may be low but it's totally predictable. Once you know the gearbox spacing you know exactly how much acceleration you'll get from each gear.

With my Evora, land the 'wrong' side of 3800rpm and you'll either get nowhere near as much acceleration as expected or way more than expected. Also with a 1.2TFSI Leon go above 4500 and you'll be wondering why you bothered changing gear.
willberry70
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: Kuro

Post by willberry70 »

From the unique cleverness of the design (lighter engine permitting 4 seats, 50-50 weight distribution, and a lower CofG), to the grin it puts on my face, to the fact I can take my mates with me at the same time in excitement, comfort and luxury, I love it! It is a uniquely amazing car....apart from the MPG, which is nonetheless exceptional (just not in a good way) :D
Sparkling Black Kuro SN# 400/500. PZ suspension, Mini-mapped, EBC Red Stuff fronts disks, Custom Oil Lines, Varta E27 battery. Blacked alloys, K&C air filter, RRP Mk2 Coils and MSD Leads, Krown rustproofed.

Events Coordinator
willberry70
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: Kuro

Post by willberry70 »

Great story from Ranjan :D
Sparkling Black Kuro SN# 400/500. PZ suspension, Mini-mapped, EBC Red Stuff fronts disks, Custom Oil Lines, Varta E27 battery. Blacked alloys, K&C air filter, RRP Mk2 Coils and MSD Leads, Krown rustproofed.

Events Coordinator
Honkytonk
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: PZ

Post by Honkytonk »

I've been letting others drive the car recently (mostly supervised) and advised a colleague to treat it as if it was esentially a car with two gears. You've got first to pull away in and second for everything else up to 60 (it was thoroughly warmed...). They looked at me sceptically.

About ten minutes later as they hit a 60 zone and floored it they went "ooohaahhhhAHHHHH!" as the fantastically smooth power delivery kicked in and despite driving an Audi Diseasel beast with all the torque in the world daily, they were giggling like a schoolgirl as it threw itself all the way to the beep. And that's before they got to the first set of esses and went "Jesus!" as the car held and held and held and they didn't have to change gear once.

"Why's there no dropoff?" They said, confused by driving turbos with deadspots larger than the continental United States that engines exist which just go and go and go without deadzones.

Don't buy a turbo auto Audi panzeresque brick of averageness. Buy an RX8. You'll probably get about the same MPG if you're driving it for fun anyway :thumright:
These users thanked the author Honkytonk for the post (total 3):
GreySilver Beast (Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:55 pm) • Vian (Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:08 pm) • willberry70 (Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:31 pm)
Want to Take Part in the Club YouTube channel? Click Here!

Marvel at the Amazing Technicolour P-Shed Project Thread
And my OEM-only Luton Adonis, the Mighty Vectra!
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3

Post by New Duke »

Honkytonk wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:31 pm
Don't buy a turbo auto Audi panzeresque brick of averageness. Buy an RX8. You'll probably get about the same MPG if you're driving it for fun anyway :thumright:
Very true =D> . I average about 22-24mpg in our 3l Diesel XF... because life is too short.

Should be almost double that figure :lol:
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Drove to Dublin and back a few weeks ago,120 euros on fuel :lol: Did I care? Nope,life is way too short for MPG to be a concern to me :D

Having said that she'll be in storage soon enough :lol:
These users thanked the author kopite72 for the post:
willberry70 (Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:32 pm)
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

There's nothing like driving around in a 3.7L V6 Jeep (with a roof rack) to make an RX-8 seem positively frugal ;)
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Vian
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Vian »

Thing is, when it first came out the fuel economy was poor, but not shockingly so for a performance car of that nature. My EP3 Type R only got about 30 to the gallon and the S2000 maybe 27, and less if driven enthusiastically. It's only because these days turbo hot hatches get 45mpg that it looks as hideous as it does. It was just rubbish, not appalling at the time.
These users thanked the author Vian for the post:
"Don't care if they say we are a dying race, I'd rather be here than any other place"