Place for discussions about the RX-8
Critters
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

It's a great car and other non-negative RX8 stuff

Post by Critters »

After reading this in another thread I thought I would just post to say that all is going well with my RX.

06/02/2006
Overslept after long weekend out and so the roads were clear on my hasty drive into work, a weekend of not driving made it seem even more lively.

11/09/2007
A few weeks off 2 years of ownership.... still loving it, even more than when it was new :)
Last edited by Critters on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My sites n stuff
Car Black 230, K&N Typhoon, BORLA exhaust, ice-link iPod kit, Lockwood grilles, Pilot Sports, chrome strakes, tints
HT Panasonic PTAE2000, 92" GreywolfII, Onkyo 875, Monitor Audio Radius 180's
AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS »

I'm one of the first, proud owners of the 8 in the UK, and there is still no car that has gets to the core of driving pleasure that I have owned, or test driven (a few cars there :wink: ).

Apart from niggles, its been a thrill, even to pop down to the shops and now that there are a few on the roads, its appeal remains undiminished.

I only wish I got out more :lol: .

Anil.
BIGWITHEY
Club Member
Club Member

Post by BIGWITHEY »

AnilS wrote:I only wish I got out more :lol: .

Anil.
Many a true word spoken in jest :wink:

8)
Jon

p.s.
Nearly 12k in the last 12mnths and other than the recall and wheels ... no problems =D>
Former Club Chairman
Former Events Coordinator
PZ,GG, SS Strakes, Tints, R B Exhaust, K&N Filter and Bonnet Stays.
190 Strato gone but not forgotten.
'08 Applecross Tug of War Winning Team Member
Geoff The Bolt
Former Member
Former Member

Glad I read this

Post by Geoff The Bolt »

I placed an order Saturday for a brand new 230 and when I read through some of the posts today thought "what have I done?"

However, thinking about it today I thought, it`s my choice and it`s the car I want. This message board is for enthusiasts so any niggle will more probably than not get mentioned and could be seen as -ve. I see it as an eye opener as to what to watch out for.

We also have an A3 and have never had any problems. If I was to go on an A3 enthusiasts board I`m sure there`d be people there who have had problems with the car or bad service / support.

If I had listened to all the bad points expressed over the years about the Yamaha Vmax then I wouldn`t still own one of those today. I`ve had 2 and the current one owned since June 1998. I see the RX8 in a similar vein. It`s different, probably has its quirks and is not to everyones taste - that`s why I can`t wait until March 1st :D :D :D
steburton
Non Member
Non Member

Post by steburton »

placed an order Saturday for a brand new 230 and when I read through some of the posts today thought "what have I done?"
The RX-8 is a blast (as you will find out). When I turned up at the Mazda dealership I just pointed at the car and said to the salesman "I'll have one of those please". I wasn't particulary interested in the performance or mpg at the time, I just remember seeing a few on the roads and thinking "that car looks pretty cool". I may have been slightly naive at the time, but I bought the car because it looked the part. 25,000 miles down the road and the car still turns heads and people still point through their windows. Sure I would like more power, but I can cruise in the middle lane doing 68mph and no other car (apart from a supercar) is going to attract more attention. Let's be honest, when a Scooby WRX flies past with gold wheels, half its bonnet exposed and a giant rear wing that most aircraft would be proud of...what do people often think? :roll:

The RX-8 is probably one of the most under-rated cars on the roads, isn't that right ProDrive participants? :D
Ex-Winning Blue with MazdaSpeed & Racing Beat bells and whistles.

Still got 190bhp, now its an Exige :-)
Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Harrizone »

Well I have not had any problems, squeaks, flooding or irritants that have not been able to be resolved by a quick visit to the dealers.

Seat backs replaced for minor dings, even though my grandaughter had quite deeply scratched one, so a major bonus. :D

All wheels replaced for minor corrosion on just one and that wasn't one of my originals, another bonus. Thanks 'orbist'. :D

I have now been without the car for some five weeks and have never missed a vehicle so much. I just want it back ASAP. :cry:
Now a distant memory unfortunately.
Foxy Lady
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Foxy Lady »

Nothing wrong with mine! :D
u2----
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by u2---- »

Critters wrote:After reading this in another thread I thought I would just post to say that all is going well with my RX.
Well done Critters - apart from some minor cosmetic niggles, mine has been working great for almost 2 years now!

Geoff The Bolt wrote:I placed an order Saturday for a brand new 230 and when I read through some of the posts today thought "what have I done?"
Potential owners like yourself is why I stated you only hear about the negative stuff (on that other thread). Forum paranoia and scare mongering after reading some posts does NOT help. Truthful accounts of ownership AND PROBLEMS does make this site very, very worthwhile though. As I said you hear too much of the unfortunate incidents and not enough of the “Oh my god what a great day I had driving my cool car!”

Foxy Lady wrote:Nothing wrong with mine! :D
And that from the official "Yahoo chat member - This isn't a fan club " :wink:
Iain

Pz in Brilliant Black - Sour Plums for the Daft Grin - Snooper Sapphire - Meguiared so much it's turned from a Red 8 to a Black Pz-
Foxy Lady
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Foxy Lady »

There isnt anything wrong with mine, but there clearly are things wrong with others!
orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist »

I've had new seat backs - again having had Callum kick the crap out the old ones - bonus.

New spark plugs, one month before they needed replacing at the 3rd service - bonus.

Free bonnet stays, free rear under deflector, free painting of my front bumper - all due to dealer incompetence - bonus

All in all, I've done alright out of any of the minor warranty claims I've had.

Other than that, I have to say, I think I'd be a lesser person if it weren't for my daily dose of Borla, Beeps and Blatent B-road Blitzing :)
RX-8 Owners Club Founder Member
orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist »

Foxy Lady wrote:There isnt anything wrong with mine, but there clearly are things wrong with others!
Let me guess, you used to be conceated, and now you are perfect :wink:
Foxy Lady
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Foxy Lady »

:lol: Not perfect, I can spell tho!

It does take a lot of petrol - did I mention that??? :wink:
NickC
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Glad I read this

Post by NickC »

Geoff The Bolt wrote:I placed an order Saturday for a brand new 230 and when I read through some of the posts today thought "what have I done?"

However, thinking about it today I thought, it`s my choice and it`s the car I want. This message board is for enthusiasts so any niggle will more probably than not get mentioned and could be seen as -ve. I see it as an eye opener as to what to watch out for.
I did exactly the same, ordered sept04 for a march05 delivery......... then found the forum :cry: And I ended up with a fantastic car that's inspiring to drive, reliable with a great build quality. I've had a couple of very minor niggles which were put right. My dealer service has been great and I'm a 100 percent happy customer/owner :D
Stratosphere
Former Member
Former Member
Location: The Real Hollywood, Birmingham, not that fake place in America

Post by Stratosphere »

Well done Criters, I think you have done what a lot of other people were thinking but couldn't be bothered to do.

5 months and 2,200 miles down the line and my 190 is perfect, no problems whatsoever and I dont expect it either.......... sure you are going to get some "friday" cars which it looks like phantom may have got :( but thats to be expected with any manufacturer isnt it?

still turns heads in my car park at work and that last stretch of twisty national speed limit road before I get to work, makes me smile before a possibly dull day at work.......... turn into the road, pass the national speed limit sign, straight road, beep it in second, into 3rd, slow for the corner, if its clear press the throttle up hill, not too much otherwise you're gonna be too fast for the next bend, hold it, next straight bit clear, press the loud peddle again still up hill, stereo off, window down to hear the noise 8) 3rd gear all the way and boo hiss, it changes to 40, fun over and I get to work and I can feel the buzz 8) :D :lol:

I love third gear me ............
I thought an RX8 was for life, not just a mid life crisis ....
Strato 190, Leather, Strakes
Arrived 01/09/2005 Departed 06/03/2008
AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS »

Stratosphere wrote: my 190 is perfect
No its not. You need strakes :wink: .

Positive threads ............................ what is the world coming to :?: :lol:
Nazz
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Nazz »

steburton wrote: I just remember seeing a few on the roads and thinking "that car looks pretty cool". I may have been slightly naive at the time, but I bought the car because it looked the part.
Agreed - I wouldn't have bought it if it looked like another GTI.

3rd. gear IS the sweetest .

Apart from corroded bits and poor dealer service, mine has been excellent throughout (Touch Wood) .
Gun Metal © Grey - Born on 9/11 2004
:twisted: The Devil made me do it ! :twisted:
Critters
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Critters »

07/02/2006
Another good drive into work, did not over sleep *as* much as yesterday. Had a new Arctic Monkeys CD to listen to, quite good driving music. Love track 11 :wink: RX still going well.
My sites n stuff
Car Black 230, K&N Typhoon, BORLA exhaust, ice-link iPod kit, Lockwood grilles, Pilot Sports, chrome strakes, tints
HT Panasonic PTAE2000, 92" GreywolfII, Onkyo 875, Monitor Audio Radius 180's
John H
Former Member
Former Member

Post by John H »

Good thread this, people do tend to dwell on the negatives so I thought I'd add my bit:

I've had my 190 for 15 months and 20k miles & I'm still finding excuses to go places, still get a buzz from driving it & still get the feeling that I'm driving something a little bit special & different from the German masses. I've travelled 2,000 miles around France and enjoyed every mile & even taken my son to University with 4 adults in the car and all the usual student clobber, including guitar!

Alloys replaced at the first service without any problems, I painted the hubs & also the calipers which was easy, I've no squeeks or rattles & the engine gets sweeter by the mile. I'm averaging about 22-24 mpg & top up the oil from time to time - no big deal.

My only problem is that I can't stop adding things to it & it's costing me a fortune - the custom leather seats, the HID kit, the S/S strakes and crest, the protective grills, the leather console covers........etc! New owners beware, this car is addictive :wink:

I still don't see an obvious alternative for the money & would buy one again tomorrow.

John :D
K&N, S/S, Meguiars, Hammerite, DLS Grills, shaped plate, custom leather & 6000k HID enhanced Strato Blue smile generator
orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist »

John H wrote: My only problem is that I can't stop adding things to it & it's costing me a fortune - the custom leather seats, the HID kit, the S/S strakes and crest, the protective grills, the leather console covers........etc! New owners beware, this car is addictive :wink:
Tell me about it! :lol:

Hard to believe the most modifications I'd ever done to previous cars was the standard accessory spoiler!

It is definitely addictive. Reminds me, must see about those piano black bits for the ashtray...
montyquick
Non Member
Non Member

Pretty good

Post by montyquick »

I just put a rambling reply on 'that other thread' and then read this one. Yes the RX8 is a good car. I have had a few of the niggles but after 33,000 miles in 16months I'm still having a ball. I will change the car in the next 12 - 18months and have no idea what to get next. At the moment a new RX8 is top of the list.
The only problem I have is a scuffed alloy (all my own fault). Does anyone have a good standard alloy available at an affordable price?
MrMickS
Former Member
Former Member

Post by MrMickS »

Bought my 8 second hand at the beginning of August last year. I've done just shy of 20k miles and I'm still grinning.

I've not had any faults. Was chatting about fuel costs with a mate who bought a 350Z at the same time. He's getting slightly better mpg (24-25 to my 22-23) but has to put super in :)

The only complaint is that I keep finding excuses to get off the main roads to find some twisties. This makes it seem that I'm going to be late getting places so I have to squeeze the loud pedal :)
Ex Titanium, 230, leather, sat-nav
Stratosphere
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Stratosphere »

AnilS wrote:
Yeah, yeah, Anil, I know mine was the only one without and you are now preaching to the converted...... will get some soon !
Tomsk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tomsk »

Stratosphere wrote:
AnilS wrote:
Yeah, yeah, Anil, I know mine was the only one without and you are now preaching to the converted...... will get some soon !
Yeah, when you've joined all the other sheep I'll be the only one left to say "car unadorned with those silly thingys that cost the earth, are liable to corrode before your very eyes and serve no useful purpose whatsoever". :lol:
(.....ducks.....)
S/Silver, 192ps, b. Jan 2004 - 22,000 miles, 1 mod only (= oil cooler protection grilles), 2 ProDrives, 12 meets. Still feels like a new car !
Stratosphere
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Stratosphere »

Tomsk wrote:
Stratosphere wrote:
AnilS wrote:
Yeah, when you've joined all the other sheep I'll be the only one left to say "car unadorned with those silly thingys that cost the earth, are liable to corrode before your very eyes and serve no useful purpose whatsoever". :lol:
(.....ducks.....)
You need to duck :twisted:

If I was a sheep I would have bought a GTI whatever in the first place :lol: I think they look really good on strato 8) saw AMH's on the last birmingham meet although my car was cleaner ( due to shorter journey )
AMH
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by AMH »

Stratosphere wrote:I think they look really good on strato 8) saw AMH's on the last birmingham meet although my car was cleaner ( due to shorter journey )
I'm never gonna live the dirty car bit down am I? :(

I do like my polished strakes with the polished alloys - and with all that bling (or bung!) I'm definately no sheep! :wink:

Ann.
Ann Carter
Social Media Liaison
Check out The Club's Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2389549834

1st March 2005 - 31st Dec 2009: Strato 192 with Mega Bling Alloys - TWOC :( :thumbsdown:
Delivered 12th March 2010: Aurora Blue R3 \:D/ :thumbsup: