djtonymorgan
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey
Has thanked: 0

Re: It's a great car and other non-negative RX8 stuff

Post by djtonymorgan »

I try to use it whenever I go to the local upmarket country pub, it certainly turns heads...

Plus the drive there through the lanes is awesome!
SOLD
arrex8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue
Been thanked: 0

Post by arrex8 »

It is a SUPERB car! In my second week of ownership and I can't get enough of it.

The drive is immense and the looks are stunning!
i-CONICA
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by i-CONICA »

arrex8 wrote:the looks are stunning!
Yeah, I don't know what Clarkson was talking about when he said (and other people) that the rex looks ugly, or confused, etc. I've always loved the look, and now I've got one, I look back at it as I walk away going "phwar". :lol:
Rob1642
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Rob1642 »

Cars I've had in the past -
Audi coupe quattro 2.3 awesome in German winters, and simple to run and maintain
E39 535i smooth V8 power, but struggled when hitting the twisties
08 Ford Mustang GT supercharged engine with 2 seats bolted on. Brilliant in a straight line, but drove like a HGV round corners even after ALOT of suspension upgrades
e39 540i Touring brilliant Q car estate, perfect for moving the dogs in absolute comfort. Complete b***** to do any work on due to the lack of space in the engine bay.
RX8 (only had less than a week) but so far it is like a supermoto on 4 wheels, and I am absolutely loving it. The fact that it is also easy to work on, and I have got a well looked after car has just made it even better:)
Plumcrazee
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Plumcrazee »

I also ham a new owner only had the Rex for 3 weeks but love it to bits proper driving car I have been out on drives just because I can lol. Not many modern cars I would be bothered about ;-)
1982 dodge ram pickup 5.2lt v8 ratty
1972 vw bay window camper van sofar 5 years rebuild
2004 rx8 192 family hack
2005 vauxhall vivaro lwb works hack
NoozeHound
Former Member
Former Member

Post by NoozeHound »

Forum request: Upvotes :D
Yorkie194
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Yorkie194 »

Feeling very happy following a sunny morning run out in the Rex just for the hell of it :D . After 7 months of ownership I can honestly say these cars are fantastic. Great handling, great looking and great sounding. I also enjoy the relative rarity of the RX8 with the majority of people automatically opting for the more obvious, warmed over hatches etc. Throw in the astonishing value for money a cared for example of this car represents then I very much doubt there is a better value alternative out there, especially when you apply the smiles per pound calculation. =D>
Titanium Grey 2005 231, Rotary Revs Rebuild with Street Port, RR D585-R Coil Kit (D969's), Full Aerokit, Gloss Black Wheels, De-badged, RR Lowering Springs, RR 20mm Wheel Spacers, Toyosports De-Cat & Catback (c/w ear plugs)
Whisper Purple 2014 Citroen DS4 D-Style (Family Bus)
White 2015 Mercedes C220 Bluemotion (Company Motorway Pounder)
Moglet
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Moglet »

I've had plenty of compliments on mine since being back up at my fiance's parents for Christmas. The guy at the car wash (I don't usually let anyone else loose on it but these guys always do a good job) around the corner said he loved it and was asking how fast it was, and then the guy doing my fiance's tattoo yesterday said "Nice car!" before going on to tell me all about his mate's RX7. It seems to get more attention around here than it does on the Isle of Wight, that's for sure.
2007 RX8 Kuro - Model 100/500 [Sold]
2004 Honda CRV SE Sport
2012 Kia Picanto Halo
1989 Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
Samrutter94

Post by Samrutter94 »

Had my rx-8 for about 5 months now, haven't had any problems apart from i need to get the clutch done soon, just driven home from and i fall in love with it again every time i drive, its just such a fun car!! I do get some funny looks but i guess they don't expect to see a 19 year old in one of them aha :)
Gazbuscus
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by Gazbuscus »

Had mine a week, and I'm hooked.
The noise oooooo the noise =P~

I can't walk away from it without looking back with a cheeky grin on my face... is that mine? Phwaar!!

Best thing happened on Monday... Fire drill at work, place empties out and the assembly point on the car park just happened to be right behind Sexy Rexy! heads turned as people walked past, and I overheard several positive comments whilst we were all stood around waiting for the all clear. I felt so chuffed, I walked back to the office like a dog with two ****

RX8 FTW!!
--'09 RX8 R3 231
--'04 Celica T-Sport 190 (Sold)
--'04 RX8 192 (Scrapped)
--'03 Celica 140 (Sold)
--'02 Clio RSi 120 (Sold)
--'98 Clio RT 95 (Sold)
--'93 Metro GT (Scrapped)
--'89 Orion LX (Scrapped)
brix79
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by brix79 »

^This.

Lovin' stories like that.. =D>
John
Forum Admin Team

2021- // 2009 Sparkling Black R3 | Pettit Exhaust | 20mm Eibachs

2017-21 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3 | Gone, never to return, never to be forgotten.
2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone. But Lives(d?) on.
Gazbuscus
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Gazbuscus »

Too much negative press surrounding this car which is just wrong.. plain wrong. Best car by a mile that I have ever driven and that includes my GT and I didn't think it'd get much better than that (co they are fantastic)!!

I've always wanted an 8 but was put off by the horror stories... finally got the better of me. Days like Monday really confirm to me that I made the right choice.
--'09 RX8 R3 231
--'04 RX8 192 (Scrapped)
--'03 Celica 140 (Sold)
--'98 Clio RT 95 (Sold)
Andyroo82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Andyroo82 »

After driving my rx8 for the first time all I can say is I have never driven anything like it. What a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
chriswilloughby
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by chriswilloughby »

Sakeiru wrote:I have this discussion at work all the time. Stereotypical remarks like 'They drink oil' or 'They need a rebuild every 60,000 miles' are often said. But truth be told, a couple of mates work at Audi and RS6's have an oil drinking characteristic too. Other engines like the 1.4 Petrol Turbo (Used by Skodas, VW's, Audis, Seats) have oil consumption issues too. Those ecoboost engines from Ford also have issues. I've rebuilt a handful of 2.0 Ecoboosts at 20,000 miles (or there abouts) and I wonder if the 1.0 ones will make it past 60,000 miles in the long run. Too much power out of such a small engine... Oh I forgot, I have replaced injectors countless times on 1.6 Diesels (Shoddy french engines) that Ford, Mazda, Volvo, Peugeot and Citroen share and they're about £500 a piece. All of these issues are probably as expensive as the issues you get with Rotaries, so to speak. Lets not forget that all expensive hourly rate that the stealers charge!

And to throw it in there, my Focus does about 1 litre of oil per 500 miles too. Pretty common after a certain milage on those 1.6 Litre petrol engines that also come in 1.25L and 1.4L variants.

The point is! All cars have their issues. Some are worse than others but in fairness, besides Coils, Cats and engine seals at higher milages...What else commonly goes wrong with RX-8's? Not very much! It's nice that they're consistent right? Other vehicles can have a multitude of problems. :wink:

Preach!
Could not agree more. My wifes last car, a Peugeot 307cc, had a tiny little plastic coolant pipe crack in the depths of the engine and Peugeot wanted £1200+vat to fix it?!? the part could be bought of ebay for under a fiver and Peugeot explained that its a complete pig to get too hence the cost. Considering that, a new rebuild at £2200ish is a bargain :)
RX8 R3-Rotary Revs D585 coils and leads-Looked after by Sir Rotary of Revs and me, oh and Oily aka Darren-Mini Map for D585's-20mm Spacers-Decatted
Gazbuscus
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Gazbuscus »

Could not agree more. My wifes last car, a Peugeot 307cc, had a tiny little plastic coolant pipe crack in the depths of the engine and Peugeot wanted £1200+vat to fix it?!? the part could be bought of ebay for under a fiver and Peugeot explained that its a complete pig to get too hence the cost. Considering that, a new rebuild at £2200ish is a bargain :)
Here Here!!
--'09 RX8 R3 231
--'04 RX8 192 (Scrapped)
--'03 Celica 140 (Sold)
--'98 Clio RT 95 (Sold)
simonmd
Former Member
Former Member

Post by simonmd »

Just posted a running report after owning mine for a year without a single fault. http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... =6&t=56111

I STILL look back at her when I've parked it and STILL love driving it. I'm glad its got a bad rep', it ment that I could pick her up for a bargain price in the first place!
Jobs done: 10w40 oil, Gearbox oil changed for synth, Diff' oil changed, coils replaced, Cabin air + K&N panel filter fitted, Red Brake calipers, Black Alloys, Fitted Aux/USB adaptor to stereo, Numberplate lowered, de-badged front, DRLs, Plastidipped badges and strakes black, Tein springs

Planned: DRIVE IT!

CLICK for ongoing mods ~ ~ CLICK for my Fuelly log
JamesChamberlain
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by JamesChamberlain »

I'm loving the 190 already had a few niggles but As a learner I've only driven few cars Golf, Astra, Yaris, Clio, DS3 and the mazda is the best to drive. And when you get used to the car it can be a lot quicker than people say it is
Mazda RX8 S1 Galaxy Grey 192, FH06 WZX, Tobacco/Black leather Interior, All extras

Mods - Nexus Install, Blue Interior LED's, Miltech Catback, Toyosports Decat, AEM Intake,R969 Coils,Stage 1 Clutch, Adjustable Droplinks, Mazdaspeed Kit, Mazdaspeed Front&Rear Struts, Exedy Light Flywheel, Greddy Sump

Next - Racing Beat Sway Bars, Teins Monoflex Coilovers, Window Tints
andy3024
Former Member
Former Member

Post by andy3024 »

Had my Rx for a full year not a breath of a problem. Only problem I've had being part of this website ( a good thing ) I've spend so much money on bits for her. It's an addiction!!

Only wish I got to drive her more.
RX-8 231 53 plate, Velocity Red

Black Red Leather, Sat Nav, Front air dam skirt, side half skirt, full length scuff plates, Rotary crest pillars, Pettit Miltek Cat-Back, Revi Air Ram and K&N Panel, Aero Wiper Blades, stainless side strakes, Lowered 25mm on Eibach and 10mm Eibach spacers each side , 40th Anniversary Wheels, red LED bulbs, PZ spoiler and splash guards, Race beat induction kit.
Nerdstrike
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Nerdstrike »

|'ve just dropped £370 on dentistry, my car would be much more fun if I spent that on bits.
tonydavies85
Non Member
Non Member

Post by tonydavies85 »

This is my first ever rx8 always had imprezas and.always.gone back to imprezas after having cars.inbetween this car though is one of the most satisfying. Cars I have ever driven the noise the rasp the way they handle.very forgiving and a joy to own few niggles but hey what cars don't they all have.a.personality and I love mine
Brilliant black. Full de-cat Toyo exhaust BGW wing interior leds.K&N Typhoon induction kit.custom carbon headlight brows,carbon covered fuel cap, custom external leds. Panther platinum drilled and grooved discs

to do..... fit cold air feed, paint engine plastics red, red hoses, fit oil cooler mesh.
Nerdstrike
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Nerdstrike »

Ok, it *is* a great car. I spanked it all day at Snetterton (with lots of cooldown breaks), and it handled excellently, slid in a controllable manner when I came in too hot for a corner, and then drove me home like a normal car. That kind of suitability for all conditions is impressive, considering I've done no mods for the track (excluding new brake pads). It really does cry out for more anti-roll in serious corners, but you hardly ever get that on the road.
RX08DEL
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by RX08DEL »

After all my hard work with reworking the usual ignition and hi-flow cat work, I took it for a blast whilst logging it all on Dashcommand. Returned 267HP. That'll do nicely! Feels great too but I'm not sure if I believe those figures? Once I work out how to post a pic I'll put the report on here. Only thing was that I had to change the RPM max from 7 to 9. Not sure if that influenced the result or not but still, all is good :-)

Ok I found the parameters on another thread for Dashcommand. I'll do another run and see what it comes up with :)
beercrazy
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by beercrazy »

took mine out for a spin to the snooker club which I go every Friday
while playing snooker someone shouted down the hall who does the beast of a car belong to outside :)
when I said mine it started a long talk about rx8 between about 10 of us for ages and made me proud to think yea glad I didn't get a Mondeo or some other crap

I used to drive around 25 to 30 thousand miles a year while my work mate also drove around the same amount with me sat at the side of him and I did this for around 9 years and eventualy hated driving

the rx8 has changed all that I now love to get in it and just drive as it makes me feel like I did when I first passed my test
Elonexxx
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Elonexxx »

It was like that at work when I first got mine,

No one commented when I drove the micra to work!
- Stuart
Rx8-Col.
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by Rx8-Col. »

Everyone at work has been crowding around mine and asking questions. They love the styling and the sound etc..

I never had any of that driving my Mazda 6 Diesel... People are generally interested in these cars, and as their quite rare, few have been up close to have a good look at one.

Love my RX!!! Never happier behind the wheel
Mazda Rx-8 40th Anniversary Metropolitan Grey #230/400

Fitted parts:
RB Revi intake, RB Scoop, RB Rev8 exhaust,Cusco Strut brace, D585 Coils, Magnecor Leads, Aero Kit, Bonnet lifts, MadTaz remap 8)