Place for discussions about the RX-8
WiltshireRoadHog
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RX8 Complaint

Post by WiltshireRoadHog »

I took delivery of an RX8 Evolve on Friday. I have one major complaint - whenever I've driven it for more than about 20 minutes my face starts aching like crazy. It must be the :D big grin.
Oink Oink
It's the Wiltshire Road Hog!
Cyanide69
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: RX8 Complaint

Post by Cyanide69 »

WiltshireRoadHog wrote:I took delivery of an RX8 Evolve on Friday. I have one major complaint - whenever I've driven it for more than about 20 minutes my face starts aching like crazy. It must be the :D big grin.
Unfortunately there's no cure for it - you'll just have to "suffer" like the rest of us. In 2007, when the facelifted version arrives, the symptoms could be even more adverse - you have been warned!
2004 VR230 - Red/Black Leather - Strakes - Lux Mats - 12/08/2004 - 17/11/2008
2007 PZ BB230 - Lux Mats - Parking Sensors - Strakes - Mishimoto Oil Cooler Lines - Drilled & Grooved Black Edition Brake Discs & Brembo Pads - Magnecor Ignition Leads - 19/03/2009 - ?
Cyanide69
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Cyanide69 »

vooley wrote:...took our 18 and 21 year old sons on holday to Switzerland in the 8 - what a blast. Wife was doing 120mph on the autoroute with four up and a full boot. Swapped drivers just before a pay booth and I got nicked for speeding.

We're 53 and 52, and this car makes us feel like kids!...
Wow, I'm looking forward to being in the 50s now. Switzerland....hmmmm....what a great setting for a meet that could be :-k
Were the sons egging mum on...."Faster, faster!! Schnell, schnell!!" :twisted:

Glad your having fun vooley, and driving your 8 the way it's meant to be driven!
2004 VR230 - Red/Black Leather - Strakes - Lux Mats - 12/08/2004 - 17/11/2008
2007 PZ BB230 - Lux Mats - Parking Sensors - Strakes - Mishimoto Oil Cooler Lines - Drilled & Grooved Black Edition Brake Discs & Brembo Pads - Magnecor Ignition Leads - 19/03/2009 - ?
OCRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by OCRX8 »

I love my Rex.

I think the best bit is when I come to wash it.... love washing the sensual curves of the front arches!

Also love it in 3rd gear, with a clear road in front of me :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Winning Blue
Leather
Part of the family since 18/11/04
Was toying with the idea of selling Rexy but couldn't do it!
timechaser
Non Member
Non Member

Post by timechaser »

OCRX8 wrote:I love my Rex.

I think the best bit is when I come to wash it.... love washing the sensual curves of the front arches!

Also love it in 3rd gear, with a clear road in front of me :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Pervert... :roll:

Am leaving for a holiday soon - two weeks. I am not worried about the house though I have spent all my savings in doing it up... but I dont care. I AM worried about the 8 so I will leave it with precious little fuel, take my keys with me, and leave some stones behind the wheels etc. etc. Hope it is there when I come back... will miss you baby! :oops:
No car - looking at a JDM RX-8 now.
DogsnutsEA
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by DogsnutsEA »

Why my 8 is Perfect

Well what can you say that hasn't already been said??

Apart from that I think its one of a kind within Surrey (Strato with MS B/Kit (full works) they even kindly put the front fogs in and protective grills on the MS front bumper)

TW Whites used it for a bit of a show car while they had it before I picked it up. They had 2 or 3 people interested in buying it and it was only on their forecourt for about 2 hours before I ran off with it. :D

The handling is perfect... the balance is perfect... The acceleration is awesome and the looks are stunning... People are in awe and jealous. With all this in mind who cares about the MPG :D

To top it all off, this OC is probably the best I have ever known. Friendly, honest advice with hunour and a very unbiased approach to everyone, no matter who you may be. That to me is the icing on an already huge and delicious cake. 8) Congrats to the OC commitee and members. :)

I look forward to meeting some fellow 8 nutters in the future. :P
James (Former Club Tart (now owned by Hypothermia)/Annual Show 'n' Shine Winner 2006/Prodrive AutoTest Champ 2007)

MazdaSpeed 230 Strato with Grey Trim, DoB 22-03-06. Borla Exhaust, GunMetal Grey Strakes, Chrome MazdaSpeed Badges, Black MazdaSpeed Rear Brake-light Decal, Rear Parking Sensors, Leather Handbrake, Leather Front/Rear Console Lids, Illuminated Gearknob, RED Interior LEDs, RED LED Puddle Lights, LED Sidelights, Xenon Fog Lights. Now with MazdaSpeed GunMetal Grey Alloys.
steburton
Non Member
Non Member

Post by steburton »

the looks are stunning
Without sounding biast, the MazdaSpeed kit does look the nuts...I could never go back to stock looks...
Ex-Winning Blue with MazdaSpeed & Racing Beat bells and whistles.

Still got 190bhp, now its an Exige :-)
vooley
Former Member
Former Member

Post by vooley »

I don't need to upgrade the looks of my car when it's got such a stunning looking driver - that's assuming that you can focus in time :wink:
Rexy baby....yeah

230 Winning Blue, leather, front crest, strakes, illuminated gear knob, empty tank
AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS »

I spent all day at work yesterday (finished @ 7pm) and was asleep before 10pm. Got up at 3am, couldn't sleep so popped into work the long way in :wink: . The roads are fantastically (a little frosty) clear and the car was blasted down them. 20 minute journey to work took 60 minutes. Worst thing is I'm off shift but still went into work .......................... :oops:
Nazz
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Nazz »

AnilS wrote:I spent all day at work yesterday (finished @ 7pm) and was asleep before 10pm. Got up at 3am, couldn't sleep so popped into work the long way in :wink: . The roads are fantastically (a little frosty) clear and the car was blasted down them. 20 minute journey to work took 60 minutes. Worst thing is I'm off shift but still went into work .......................... :oops:
And to think this fella was trying to sell his 8 at one point ! :wink:

Nice one Anil .
Gun Metal © Grey - Born on 9/11 2004
:twisted: The Devil made me do it ! :twisted:
AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS »

Nazz wrote:
AnilS wrote:I spent all day at work yesterday (finished @ 7pm) and was asleep before 10pm. Got up at 3am, couldn't sleep so popped into work the long way in :wink: . The roads are fantastically (a little frosty) clear and the car was blasted down them. 20 minute journey to work took 60 minutes. Worst thing is I'm off shift but still went into work .......................... :oops:
And to think this fella was trying to sell his 8 at one point ! :wink:

Nice one Anil .
The labotomy was reversed :wink:
Tomsk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tomsk »

huw wrote:
So get in the passenger side.
Even that's not a good idea! I believe the crime is being 'in control of the vehicle whilst under the influence'. I think I am right in saying that if they decided to be really vindictive you could be prosecuted for being in control if you have the car keys on you and you are somewhere near the car - you don't even have to be in it.
There must be a lawyer or policeman out there who can clarify.
Going back to this a minute, Huw is right, you can be done for being in possession/control of a vehicle while under the influence. Like Ann, I have a mate who was done - when he tried to sleep it off in the back of his car. Locked out of his house in the middle of winter, he made the mistake of running the engine to keep warm. A neighbour thought he was doing the hosepipe/suicide job and alerted the police with the result they threw the book at him. I think that, as Lateral says, you would be safe off road on private land though.

Back on topic, my car is perfect for me as it offers the best of several worlds. I can't get over how comfortable the rear seats are. (I always test them for legroom first when I know I'm taking passengers.)
S/Silver, 192ps, b. Jan 2004 - 22,000 miles, 1 mod only (= oil cooler protection grilles), 2 ProDrives, 12 meets. Still feels like a new car !
SteveW
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SteveW »

I posted this on Tuesday in the Member's RX-8 chat section, but I thought I'd just stick it into this public section too:
First impressions:

The way the instruments light up makes me smile every time I turn the engine on. I know it's a little thing, but they do.

The engine sounds fantastic. Not as raucous as the Civic did but still a great noise. I don't know why some people dislike it. So smooth, no sensation of stressed machinery, and such a distinctive timbre. Bwaaaaaaaaaaaap!

The torque curve is fine. I like that kind of engine, so long as it's attached to a decent gearbox. This is a decent gearbox. Not quite as quick and snickety as the Civic's, but I'll be surprised if I ever find a better one than that.

The ride is massively better than the Civic's. I'm going to cancel that appointment to get my fillings reseated.

The traction/stability system will allow a surprising amount of power oversteer before it reins everything in. This is a good thing. It acts very unobtrusively.

It's wonderfully civilised when driven gently.

It's got massive grip.

The steering is lovely.

It's very easy to heel-and-toe because it picks up revs so quickly and because there is very little engine braking. This is probably not good news for my fuel consumption, because it will goad me into unnecessary downshifting. I don't really care about this.

It seems to be attracting a disproportionate amount of attention. I think this is the stripes. People who know cars see an RX8 with stripes. People who don't know cars think it's something exotic. This amuses me no end.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with it. I had a moment of "what am I doing?" this morning, just after I recorded the audio clip above, as it happens. I know I've made the right decision now though. The type-R was a great car, massive fun, but this is so much more rounded and, well, grown up. And still massive fun!
2004 Elise 111R
2004 350Z
2002 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT estate
Johnny5
Former Member
Former Member

Must be something wrong...

Post by Johnny5 »

After reading the horror stories about Cats, Cutting out, Power losses and bits falling off, I would like to share my experiences...

1500 miles on, the only faults are corroding hubs.

Thats it... :?

Sure, I get a creak from the dash once in a long while, but my Lexus did that too, and if a £60K car does it, and all the other Uberwagens did too, on occasion, then that's just fine.

I read the forum BEFORE I got the car, so ensured my RX8 230 was a new version which had all the mods before I got it! This was a good move, as the only problem (Hubs) reall doesn't bother me enough to want to take it to the dealer (Milcars St Albans incidentally, who apparently paint the Hubs FOC in a very nice heatproof grey paint) yet.

Sure too, it guzzles fuel, although it's now up to 20mpg+ with mixed short distance driving, and more on a run, while it uses oil as it was designed to too. This is all small change compared to other vehicles in it's class.

BUT! In every other respect, it's actually a really nice car, blessed with a rare all round ability, and it certainly turns heads, which to be honest surprises me how much!

I have experienced power loss, but it was only while very new, and only twice on the road. That one seems to have gone now, and the car continues to improve with age....

Surely some mistake then? :lol:
2006 RX8 231 in Winning Blue with Leather and SatNav. 17mpg and rising...
RobDickinson
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by RobDickinson »

Your not the only one! Loved mine despite its little niggles (and thirst).

Worst experience I had was obviously not the cars fault, it hardly put a foot wrong in 27k.

I am concerned over the 8 lunching its CAT's though, doesnt seem to be fixed and its an expensive out of warrenty repair.
Scoobydriver now.
Well by that I mean a 98 Forester 2.0, more tractor than car.
SteveW
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SteveW »

RobDickinson wrote:I am concerned over the 8 lunching its CAT's though, doesnt seem to be fixed and its an expensive out of warrenty repair.
I didn't bother with the extended warranty with the Type-R, since they're mostly bulletproof. I think I'll take it up for the RX8.
2004 Elise 111R
2004 350Z
2002 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT estate
Phantom
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Phantom »

I am in love with my car again at the minute (which is normally when something bites me on the arse) - its just getting better and better.

In the dry, it can corner at sooooo much faster than I would imagine. It actually hurts on tight second gear corners, when I can power around them with the car just glued - I need to work on my neck muscles. :)

I really do need to convince the missus that an RB cat-back is a good thing for me. I am drigni everywhere with the window down just desperate for the brief moments (usually on low revs, pulling away) when the car sounds as good as it goes. Sadly it does not last, tho :(

P~
230 Silver : leather : front crest : strakes
Chris231
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Chris231 »

I got my 8 at the end of January 06 and just love it to bits :D :D Can't wait to do prodrive in November. :) :)

I have even managed to beep her a couple of times - bring it on :D

My street cred has gone up where I live. When I go to the car park after a bad day at work she makes me smile. :D No other car has ever done that.
Titanium Grey, bling wheels (set number 6) Now gone but will never be forgotten, sat nav, I-mob tracking, SS Strakes, full set of RB grills, K&N Filter and Borla zorst. Now lowered.

Just ask me where anything is, it will be in the boot!!

Now she's "the reasonably priced car is the star" as driven by Jason Plato on Fifth Gear. :notworthy:

Looked after by Rotaryrevs
Speedy36
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Speedy36 »

what a motor. had my rex since xmas {nice prezzie} :lol:
just drop the windows and hit the power in a tunnel and look at the heads turn 8)
just need to now swap to a better exhaust then watch'em look :twisted:

few probs but sorted no worries :P
pleased as punch :D
Sunlight Silver 231 2006 to 2008
Black Civic Type R EP3 Final Edition 2008 to 2009
Pearlescent R3 2009 to 2013 gone and sadly missed
MX5 Sport Tech 2013 to present 8)
timechaser
Non Member
Non Member

Post by timechaser »

I had a corsican friend visit - his family owns a Jaguar and Range rover dealership so he is very very good with cars (having grown up servicing and delivering them) and comfortable with twisties. I let him have the 8 to play with!!! Round the roundabout he went, accelarating until he beeped in 2nd!!!

He beeped in fecking 2nd on a bloody roundabout - something I find hard doing on straights unless the road id empty!!!

The car - did NOT once - lose out grip, mild understeer, the back twitching but the DSC activating to keep it in control... AWESOME! I couldnt have done it myself, but this was AWESOME! Just to point out it was a nice sunny dry day!
Critters
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Critters »

timechaser wrote:He beeped in fecking 2nd on a bloody roundabout - something I find hard doing on straights unless the road id empty!!!
On the track day we did, at the end the instructors took us out for a hot lap, and made, what I thought at the time was a speedy lap, look pedestrian! They were going round corners as if it was on rails! Only then did I appreciate the grip and handling this car is capable of.
My sites n stuff
Car Black 230, K&N Typhoon, BORLA exhaust, ice-link iPod kit, Lockwood grilles, Pilot Sports, chrome strakes, tints
HT Panasonic PTAE2000, 92" GreywolfII, Onkyo 875, Monitor Audio Radius 180's
timechaser
Non Member
Non Member

Post by timechaser »

Critters wrote:the grip and handling this car is capable of.
Amen!
evolve
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by evolve »

I love my car , the only one I have owned that makes me go -> :D everytime i get in it.

gets a surprising number of looks and comments despite the fact it is not expensive/a new model
andymw
Non Member
Non Member

Post by andymw »

Cos after more than 2 1/2 years I smile every time I get in it! 45,000 miles to the good and runs better than new -- replaced the tyres of course -- currently on REO50A's -- sticks like glue.

Any problems? Only dents from other idiots in car parks and stone chips.

Thinking of my next car and the only thing that comes close is the Porsche Cayman S --- shame it's so expensive.

Last thought -- drove a Ferrari 430 the other day and I would drop the RX8 in a minute -- lovely gearbox/TC ... anyone got a spare £150k?
Red, red/bck leather, strakes, 230ps
54,000 miles of very happy driving so far
steveo
Former Member
Former Member

Post by steveo »

Yesterday was the first outing for my new baby girl in the 8, which as she slept the whole journey I guess she enjoyed it. The favorite part of the journey for me was travelling down the busy Bishops Avenue in north London, this a street in which the average property price is around £6M.

see here http://www.knightfrank.co.uk/WS1010156

or maybe this one... http://www.foxtons.co.uk/property-for-s ... hpk0035929

During our drive down the road, we caught the eye of (what could only have been due to his dress sense) an estate agent who started to approach the car expecting that we were his 2:30 appointment, he smiled and raised a hand as a greeting, however he looked a little off put when he kept on driving past.

Either two things had happened.

1. Knowing about cars he assumed that someone interested in buying a 6m house would drive an RX-8. I would by the way.
2. He knew nothing about cars and thought that the RX-8 looks like a car that a multi millionaire would drive.

We were happy with either one and it made us smile.
Nothing about this car makes it feel any thing but special.

steve