Forge Action Day 2019
Saturday 7th September | Castle Combe

Club stand display | Exclusive Club track session | The ever popular drift team displays | Show and Shine competitions & more

£15 per car (Admits the driver and up to 3 Passengers) | Under 17's go FREE! And do not need a ticket.

Copper spark plugs... erm.

Place for discussions about the RX-8
chiron
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Copper spark plugs... erm.

Post by chiron » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 am

Phil, I think those are fakes - I think I just fell victim to the same scam. Look at the NGK logos on the boxes - some have the "R" circle next to the NGK logo, others don't. The yellow is different colour on each box too.

I've just received a set from Greece (yeah, I know, I know... :oops: ), they didn't look right on arrival - only two had the cardboard tubes over the threads. The best thing I can do is to post up more photos so people are aware of the potential risks here.

Phil H wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm
I fitted ones that came in Yellow NGK and they appear to be iridium ones, so think you should be ok.

Have a good time, all the time :thumright:

chiron
Club Member
Club Member

Post by chiron » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:47 am

More info here:

and here over at the VW scene...

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... -or-Amazon

Azimuth
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Azimuth » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:20 pm

The "cold" NGK plugs 6700 & 6701 (I think) come in yellow boxes. Not really any cheaper. I ran them for a couple of weeks without issues, but swapped to the laser iridiums as soon as I could. Just have them as spares now.

Ooops, didn't realise this was an old thread....

New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:36 pm

chiron wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 am
Phil, I think those are fakes - I think I just fell victim to the same scam. Look at the NGK logos on the boxes - some have the "R" circle next to the NGK logo, others don't. The yellow is different colour on each box too.

I've just received a set from Greece (yeah, I know, I know... :oops: ), they didn't look right on arrival - only two had the cardboard tubes over the threads. The best thing I can do is to post up more photos so people are aware of the potential risks here.
Thanks chiron, very useful to have that feedback. Did you buy them from the eBay seller that sells from Greece? 13Black warned about that seller last year, I think I remember him saying he had a customer who also received fakes.

Good on you for spotting them before you fit them. If they were from eBay I'm sure you can get a refund through the buyer protection they have.

chiron
Club Member
Club Member

Post by chiron » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:40 pm

New Duke wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:36 pm
chiron wrote:

Thanks chiron, very useful to have that feedback. Did you buy them from the eBay seller that sells from Greece? 13Black warned about that seller last year, I think I remember him saying he had a customer who also received fakes.

Good on you for spotting them before you fit them. If they were from eBay I'm sure you can get a refund through the buyer protection they have.

The seller on ebay was from this store: https://mike-engines.car.gr
Seller name was chris_watel.

Ebay got my money back in full but the guys is still advertisng.

I've got both sets of real/fake plugs and will write a post on how to spot them soon.

Yorindesarin
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Yorindesarin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:57 pm

chiron wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:40 pm
New Duke wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:36 pm
chiron wrote:

The seller on ebay was from this store: https://mike-engines.car.gr
Seller name was chris_watel.

Ebay got my money back in full but the guys is still advertisng.

I've got both sets of real/fake plugs and will write a post on how to spot them soon.
Theres already a useful post on fake sparkplugs/how to spot them. Probably best to add to that.

chiron
Club Member
Club Member

Post by chiron » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:07 pm

Any idea which post? I've found several

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

Yorindesarin
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Yorindesarin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:21 pm

Sorry I meant to link it and completely derped. :p

Dentist
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Dentist » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:23 am

bla bla booo
colour is faded..... booo

any one wight them ? high voltage tested ?
file to see is it coating or even hardness test them ?
who much is internal resistor ?

you didn't measure any of above ? ooopsi
yea right the colour is diff as all shades of mr president.

NGK has diff manufactures around it could be batch 000222000oooo from India or lot #Rfjfjfjfjfjjfjfjfj from Hungary.
Copper plugs are working since day 01 of motor sport the only down side is short life. those cycles weaken plug in general, "laser" "iridium" and " bla bla" are marketing tools, 90% show and 10% go.

I said I rather to use copper plugs if I can have hold of them! and replace them in shorter interval than burning money and pray to last longer.

geeee

Eddie_r32
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eddie_r32 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:46 am

Are you going to share what weights, what resistance of what hardness they should be?

Of course you will not that would be helpful and you wouldn't be able to feel like you know more than anyone else here.
These users thanked the author Eddie_r32 for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:57 am) • Dr. FrankenRex (Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:13 am)
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more

PeteH
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:23 am

Dentist. Your posts are written in a way that many people find patronising and condescending. We all accept that English isn't your first language, and we are all happy to make allowances for that, but your posts go beyond that. You delibrately choose to use language which is unnecessary. You often sound like an "internet troll". You are going to have to change the way you write posts, or your access to this forum will be withdrawn.

I'm going to take the rare step of going through your post line by line.
Dentist wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:23 am
bla bla booo
That's just an offensive and insulting way to start a post, aimed at someone who raised a very reasonable and legitimate concern about some parts he bought in good faith. There's no need to say this, so don't do it.
Dentist wrote:
Of course the OP hasn't taken them to a lab to be tested. Why on earth would he spends thousands of pounds to do a scientific study to establish whether the sparks he just bought were fakes? That's a ridiculous statement to make. No one would do that. Taking the points one by one. You could weigh them, but they are all spark plugs, and even the fakes are likely to be within a few grams of the correct weight. Bad materials often weigh the same as good materials. Weighing proves nothing. File what? File where? What do you hope to find if you file? What coating are you suggesting they used? I think you have misunderstood the OP. The comment was that the box is the wrong colour, not the spark plug. Are you suggesting filing the box? I think you will find cardboard under the fake yellow colour. I'd love to see you try to hardness test a spark plug. Given the shape of a spark plug I cannot imagine any way of getting the head of a hardness tester anywhere near the critical parts of a plug. Internal resistance? Where do you plan to measure the resistance? Is the iridium plug a resistance plug? I don't think so, but I don't know. If it's not then the resistance will be virtually zero down the centre electrode. Do you know what the NGK resistance is meant to be, and what the tolerance is? Do you have any evidence to suggest that the fakes get this wrong? Or are you just throwing stuff out there? Or are you suggesting measuring the resistance across the electrodes? Trying to measure the resistance across an air gap would obviously be pointless.
Dentist wrote:
As said, I'm sure the OP would rather rely on suppliers delivering genuine components, rather than carrying out extensive lab tests on every part he buys.
Dentist wrote:
NGK has diff manufactures around it could be batch 000222000oooo from India or lot #Rfjfjfjfjfjjfjfjfj from Hungary.
NGK does have many plants, but that's just an obvious and irrelevant comment. Do you know exactly where the RX-8 iridium plugs are actually produced? Do you know if they can come from different factories? I doubt it. If I was to guess, I would say by far the most cost effective way for NGK to make the super-low volume RX-8 plugs would be to occasionally make a batch of a few thousand, at a single plant (Japan would be my guess), then ship them around the world. Why would NGK tool up any other plant to make these parts? And regardless of that, even if they did make them at different plants, you could be absolutely sure that NGK would protect their brand by making sure that they were identical regardless of where they were made.
Dentist wrote:
Copper plugs are working since day 01 of motor sport the only down side is short life. those cycles weaken plug in general, "laser" "iridium" and " bla bla" are marketing tools, 90% show and 10% go.
Many things have existed since "day 01" of motor sport (or the car itself). So what? Things progress and get better. To assert that they have existed for a long time, and therefore infer that they must still be acceptable, is a ridiculous statement. The Renesis didn't exist at "day 01" of motorsport, so why assume that an ancient design of plug would work just fine in a new design of engine? It's just another ridiculous assertion with no basis. The rotary has some unique requirements when it comes to spark plugs. That's why they cost a lot, and that's why they need changing so frequently. On many cars it would be true that you don't need to "upgrade" to iridium plugs, but on the Renesis you would be stupid to use anything else.
Dentist wrote:
I said I rather to use copper plugs if I can have hold of them! and replace them in shorter interval than burning money and pray to last longer.
Go ahead. No-one's stopping you. I suspect that no-one's going to follow your lead either.
Dentist wrote:
geeee
Quite!

I am well aware that if you are indeed intending to troll this forum with pointless argumentative comments then you will probably try to respond to all of the above with random and irrelevant responses. If you do, and if your response is deliberately offensive, I may just delete your post.

Some of your posts are welcome on this forum. We are interested to hear how you get on with your new RX-8, and if you contribute in a positive way then everyone on here will be happy to help you if you need it. But many of your posts are not welcome, and if you persist with such argumentative and insulting posts then we will take action.
These users thanked the author PeteH for the post (total 22):
GreySilver Beast (Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:44 am) • 13Black (Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:54 am) • Ryan Rotary Performance (Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 am) • boosted (Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:18 am) • warpc0il (Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:20 am) • Dazza44 (Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:37 am) • Honkytonk (Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:43 pm) • Mherby (Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 pm) • Lemon (Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:04 pm) • MightyCondor (Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:39 pm) and 12 more users
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

chiron
Club Member
Club Member

Post by chiron » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:29 pm

Dentist wrote:
bla bla booo

geeee
Can the mods delete that post? Blatant drunk troll.

SeriousSam
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by SeriousSam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:31 pm

We'll leave it up for now, Pete's response is appropriate and without context if the original isn't there. Feel free to get the thread back on track though, we'll clean things up once the dust has settled :thumleft:
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round

qwakers
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by qwakers » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:53 pm

and, dentist, i think you should take stock of the sheer volume of people that thanked petes post.
These users thanked the author qwakers for the post:
SeeJay (Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:09 pm)
now proudly sponsored by RyanRotaryPerformance :mrgreen:
https://www.ryanrotaryperformance.com/

Dentist
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Dentist » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:57 pm

I going to tell you but I am so tired now considering I am up since 6:00 am.

This is how to measure the resistance :
as a rules the "R" in coding mean Resistance and funny I referenced the Mazad
Measuring Resistance
Remove the spark plug, as outlined earlier in this section.
Measure the resistance of the spark plug, using an ohmmeter as shown in the accompanying illustration. The resistance should be 3.0-7.5 kilo-ohms at approximately 77°F (25°C).
If the resistance is not within specifications, the spark plug must be replaced, as outlined in this section.

link :https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/M ... 3f8037f109

And link for coil test : https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/M ... 3f8037f1c3

https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/art ... ng-systems

this are basic ( ignore wire leads resistors, checking mosfet.....)

PeteH
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:32 pm

I've removed your link to a web site which is selling stuff. The rest of this is simple stuff that most of us already know. The links you have included are to third party sites, which reproduce Mazda procedures. The members of this Club already have access to all the correct Mazda service and repair documentation, so the links have little value.

Your post states the way to measure typical resistance of an RX-8 spark plug. It has a huge range of acceptable resistance. That is a test for a failed plug. It is not a test for whether the plug is fake or not. To test for fakes you would have to know the exact resistance, and specific tolerance, for a genuine ngk plug. You would then have to test the fake, in the hope that they would be different to the NGK, which they may not be.

Also, did you note that your links explicitly state the requirement to only use the Mazda recommended plugs? Your own links contradict your assertion that you would be happy to fit cheap plugs.

But at least you responded in a reasonably positive manner.
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

chiron
Club Member
Club Member

Post by chiron » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:44 pm

I've added my images and info to the other thread. I may create one for the public side of the forum too as it could help future owners.

I'm also keen to get the dodgy suppliers exposed.

Ryan Rotary Performance
Forum Trader
Forum Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Ryan Rotary Performance » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:58 pm

chiron wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:44 pm
I'm also keen to get the dodgy suppliers exposed.
What people see first is the price, greater awareness of fake goods especially the Spark plugs and the damage they can do can only be a good thing.

My advice, always buy from a reputable dealer (such as us :P), While we cannot compete with the £50 Ebay specials, £89.99 is still pretty reasonable for peace of mind.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:02 pm

Even the "real" Denso plugs have been known to fall apart in service.
The rotary is not a plug-friendly environment.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

Ryan Rotary Performance
Forum Trader
Forum Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Ryan Rotary Performance » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:14 pm

warpc0il wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:02 pm
Even the "real" Denso plugs have been known to fall apart in service.
The rotary is not a plug-friendly environment.
That's correct I have seen this first hand a couple of times. My recommendations are:

Naturally Aspirated.
Leading NGK RE7C-L or RE8C-L
Trailing NGK RE9B-T

Forced Induction anything up to 1 bar

Leading NGK BUR9EQP
Trailing NGK RE9B-T

V8 Power
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by V8 Power » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:16 pm

Carl
For us novices could you explain the reasoning for the BUR9EQP choice for forced induction please?
Would thy benefit my car?
Thanks
Peripheral Ported intake and exhaust
Carbon seats
Sabelt 6 point harnesses
Bumper cold air feed
Tein Monosport coilovers
Lexan front windows with sliders
Carbon Adjustable wing
Feed gearknob
Axial short shift
OMP suede wheel with quick release
RE Amemiya front splitter & canards
Autec lightweight alloys
Whiteline ARB's
Stripped interior
Aurora blue R3

13Black
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 13Black » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:00 pm

They were what was fitted to the FD RX-7 - colder plug, less chance of detonation.
The small ground electrode should be near enough the same gap with the centre, however the X shape part of the ground electrode is closer to the centre than on RE8C-L etc, so I would assume that this benefits in a more reliable spark when boost is added.
These users thanked the author 13Black for the post:
V8 Power (Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:27 pm)
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-

Return to “RX-8 Discussion”