Place for discussions about the RX-8
John1992
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 231
Colour: Copper Red

RX8 Starting issues

Post by John1992 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi guys new to the forum hopefully I’ve put this in the right place.......

My RX8 was running and driving fine, no smoking overheating issues etc.... I had a accident in the car when somebody pulled into the nearside front. So the car was damaged but still able to start and drive fine, so about a week later I started the RX8 to move to the end of the driveway to make space for my other car, and it moved fine no issues. Then the very next day I went to start the RX8 to take it out and it would not start and was just spinning over, I have been told It was probably the rotary tips, so I done some research and most of what I found suggested it isn’t, as I have compression and I read that there would be warning signs of them going and that it wouldn’t be a over night occurrence. So everything else pointed towards me flooding the engine, so I researched what to do etc and tried taking the plugs out and cleaning them still nothing. So then I took out the plugs to check there was a spark but there wasn’t from any of the plugs, the next move was I had my mechanic come round with his computer gadget and couldn’t find any fault codes at all. I have since changed the crankshaft sensor asi was told that it wouldnt show a error code and that’s what controls the plugs etc. As I was told it’s unlikely 4 coil packs (individual) or plug leads would just go. Still this has made no difference what so ever and the car is still refusing to start and I’m at a loose end what to do next so please any help would be greatly appreciated.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: RX8 Starting issues

Post by warpc0il » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:54 pm

You flooded the engine, doing the one thing that's guaranteed to do it.

The engine only uses two of the four plugs when starting so there's a good chance that there's nothing else wrong and you were just checking the unused ones.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

John1992
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by John1992 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:22 pm

I checked all 4 and cleaned them all and there was no spark from any of them which two the the 2 that start the car?

acegeezer
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by acegeezer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:06 pm

Well, for a start you NEVER clean plugs in the RX8.. damage occurs too easily.. and as stated if you moved it and switched it straight off (likely cold engine) you have committed the cardinal sin of not knowing how to avoid flooding .. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=57649 .. TOW start the car for the kindest way of clearing the flooded engine :thumleft:
.. and fill out your profile properly to include your location, if you need help physically it is a good idea to tell people whereabouts you are.. it will then appear in the LHS panel, just like mine and everyone elses :)
John
R3-2009 "Sparkling Black"
Interior LED's Cree LED's in sidelights Magnecor leads D585 Ignition kit NGK Iridiums Remap
Pettit/Milltek Racing Cat-back & RB Straight thru Race Pipe Tinted Windows Vortis all round
Eibach 20mm Spacers front & rear Fitted DRL's Climair BLACK Wind Deflectors Lockwood grilles

Shagrington
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:12 am

Hi and :welcome: John1992. As above, you have flooded it. #-o A tow start is the easiest and quickest way to deflood, there are alternative methods that can take a while depending how badly flooded it is ... here is one viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36551
'Grington.
Club Treasurer (and I thought I'd retired)
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler and wheels Silver Stripes

John1992
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by John1992 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:23 am

Thank you for the replies people really appreciate it I may sound dumb but this is the first time working on a rotary engine.....

So what would explain the spark plugs not firing is that because of a special feature of the engine?
Sorry I’m I complete novice when it comes to rotary

PeteH
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:39 am

At the moment I think the assumption is that you were probably testing them wrongly for some reason. It is not common for all the spark plugs to fail at the same time....

The advice is to try tow starting it. It's only if that doesn't work that you should start to look for other issues.

Unfortunately you have started fiddling with cleaning plugs and changing sensors, and you may have introduced issues that were not there after the initial flooding.

So try the tow start, post up the result, and take it from there.
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

acegeezer
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by acegeezer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:16 am

John, this is sooo different to a piston engine, I suggest you read up on all the topics on here before you start fettling with something you admitted to knowing nothing about, you may cause fatal damage :( .. viewforum.php?f=25
Components that all interlock with each other like coils, leads & plugs, they are vital components and aren't cheap if you corrupt or damage them the cost is rather large at just under £500 .. http://www.mazdarotaryparts.com/brx8--i ... 1812-p.asp
John
R3-2009 "Sparkling Black"
Interior LED's Cree LED's in sidelights Magnecor leads D585 Ignition kit NGK Iridiums Remap
Pettit/Milltek Racing Cat-back & RB Straight thru Race Pipe Tinted Windows Vortis all round
Eibach 20mm Spacers front & rear Fitted DRL's Climair BLACK Wind Deflectors Lockwood grilles

geofftl1000r
Club Member
Club Member

Post by geofftl1000r » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 pm

Since the car was running fine before the flooding (if that is the cause), I would be tempted to put all the original parts back on the car, new plugs and double/triple check all the wires I had played around with. No sense dragging a dead horse around the streets when I swapped out a good part for a bad one or got the wires crossed somehow. ](*,)

And welcome to the forum. Still looking for a car myself.
On the hunt for a grey R3

Return to “RX-8 Discussion”