Broken Handbrake

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
drmick
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by drmick »

An Rx8 costs more than an A-class.......

But I take your point. If the dealer is selling a bucket load of Fiestas then don't expect luxury service.
taylora
Former Member
Former Member

Post by taylora »

drmick wrote:If the dealer is selling a bucket load of Fiestas then don't expect luxury service.
Maybe they could learn from Skoda, they always do very well in customer surveys and they aren't a premium product.
Black 190, no longer.
RotaryMC
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RotaryMC »

drmick wrote:An Rx8 costs more than an A-class.......

But I take your point. If the dealer is selling a bucket load of Fiestas then don't expect luxury service.
That's exactly my point. The Mercedes cost £16k new but servicing was as expensive as an S-class. So the Mercedes dealer can afford to be nice to you. Most people are paying £100 - £130 for an RX-8 1st or 2nd service.
Now in a Lexus IS 250 SE after 4 great years in my:
Mazda RX-8 Titanium Grey 231
04 Reg
Racing Beat exhaust and grills, Strakes, Crest, Black Calipers with Decals
cidersurfer
Former Member
Former Member

Post by cidersurfer »

Just noticed my handbrake cover is broken too. Exactly as per the pictue on P2. I'm the second owner, the car will be 3 years old in December and I bought from a Mazda dealership with one years warranty included last weekend. (I know Orbist put this on my list of things to check... Doh! :? )

So, is mine still covered under warranty? Not used to warranties, been driving company cars for 12 years...
Ex Owner Nordic Green 230
Zoom
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zoom »

I also noticed that mines gone too. Will pop round to the dealer when I can get at more than 5 things that need looking at. So that's 5 and counting....
2003 / Hi / Tit / black leather / strakes
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

Just noticed that this part of the hand brake is about to break off on my car.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Critters
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Critters »

First time I have seen this thread.. Saw the photo on page 2, and that is EXACTLY what has happened to mine, the dealer spotted it on the last service, and said I can book it in any time to get it replaced (under warranty) and they said it should take around 1 hour (as they have to remove so much to get to it)
My sites n stuff
Car Black 230, K&N Typhoon, BORLA exhaust, ice-link iPod kit, Lockwood grilles, Pilot Sports, chrome strakes, tints
HT Panasonic PTAE2000, 92" GreywolfII, Onkyo 875, Monitor Audio Radius 180's
Lensman
Founder Member
Founder Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Lensman »

I've had a really bad day at work and when I got in my car I thought well at least that's over and I can try to relax. Then I noticed the 3rd handbrake lever starting to break (no pun intended)! I don't mind something breaking once but 3 times! Mazda should have redesigned it long ago. For the record I can see what's happening. When the black plastic slides out of the tunnel as the brake is applied it flexes exactly at the point where the bit that snaps off is plastic welded to the lever. It's very obvious when there's an ongoing crack in the joint is there is on mine because I can see it happening. On an undamaged lever you'd not see it. It's a perfect fault: they couldn't have designed it better to fail if they'd tried. This is doubly annoying because my local dealer closed at the end of April and I now have a 60 mile+ round trip to get to another one. At the risk of stating the obvious: the build quality on parts of the RX-8 (handbreak, strakes, any interior plastic item that comes into contact with anything else etc) is poor! Just as well it drives OK (so far).
huw
Former Member
Former Member

Post by huw »

handbreak!
pun intended?
Nordic Green, Hi-Power 09/2005 to 11/2007 when it sadly died at the hands of Neptune

Crystal White 40th Anniversary 168 of 400; 01/2008 to 02/2018
Sold with the salvaged Hymee short-shifter

Nevada White SEAT Leon Cupra ST 300 DSG 4-Drive 04/2017 to
Lensman
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Lensman »

huw wrote:
handbreak!
pun intended?
Yep! :D

I've tried to stop the rot with some (thick) superglue. NOTE: apply the glue to the crack with the brake lever in the applied position and then whilst it's still fluid release the lever so that the crack is closed. Avoid doing this on a hill. No guarantees how long it'll last: I'll report back. Sodding thing!
orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist »

MIne is finally going in next week to have first replacement one done. Its been on back order for ages, so maybe they have finally replaced the plastics for something that doesn't melt / break!
RX-8 Owners Club Founder Member
RotaryMC
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RotaryMC »

Just noticed that my second one is breaking again. It was last replaced in February '05 and it's cracking in exactly the same place as last time. Must remember to get it fixed before the warranty expires.
Now in a Lexus IS 250 SE after 4 great years in my:
Mazda RX-8 Titanium Grey 231
04 Reg
Racing Beat exhaust and grills, Strakes, Crest, Black Calipers with Decals
drmick
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by drmick »

Me (several months ago): I want my handbreak fixed under warranty.

Mazda: Hmmmm. Not sure. Ford only do one year warranty on interior. I'll ring you back later on.

Mazda (next day): Yep, known issue on RX8s. Plastic gets brittle in winter. Book it in and we'll get it fixed.

Me: Can I do it at next service?

Mazda: Yes.

Me (two weeks before service cos I don't trust Mazda): My car is in for service in 2weeks and am just ringing in advance to make sure handbrake is ordered.

Mazda: No worries, we have several of them in stock.

Me (today): Here is my car with 5 things I want checked:
1. Air con/ambient temperature problem (albeit in more detail)

2. Smelly air-con

3 New handbrake

4. Creaky steering wheel

5. Check cat becuase airport carpark morons flooded engine a while back.

MAzda: (Takes my list, AND writes them down on repair sheet) Ok

ME (this evening): £130. Ok. Switch? DId you fix the problems?

Mazda woman: Hold on I'll ask Mark.

Mazda Mark: Hold on I'll check with enegineer.

Mazda engineer: What seems to be problem?

Me: I want my handbreak fixed and is ambient temp sensor fixed?

MAzda: Handbreak? Let's have a look. (looks). Hmmmm. Never heard of that before. Is it on the website? I'll check with MAster Technician and ring you back tomorrow.

Me: Air-con?

Mazda: We check the air-con and it works ok.

Me: Yes it blows cold ok but depends on ambient temp which is over 20C in winter and over 50C in recent good weather.

Mazda: Hmmmm. It isn't that hot.

Me (to myself): Duh! Are you retarded?

Mazda: Ambient temp has nothing to do with air-con.

Me: Yes it does. It blows out cold air when set to 29C cos it thinks temp outside is 50C!

Mazda: I upgraded the software ECU.

Me (to myself): Didn't I get that done several years ago? Maybe there's been another new one.

Me (out loud): I hear there's a new starter motor thingmy bob

Mazda: Yeah. (then mumbles incoherently for a senetnce or two). Let me take your number, and I'll speak with master technician tomorrow.

Me (at this moment): Fecking useless lazy stupid idiots!

Me (looks at the lovely service that BMW, Merc, Mini, Lexus etc give): Mazda suck!
drmick
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by drmick »

Today: No word.

Unfortunately this is now my second dealer. Next one is very far awa.

There is a mazda dealership in Belfast but it does not appear on MAzda website for some reason.
orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist »

Got my new handbrake fitted last friday and the plastic does seem to be different, a more flexible rubbery type compared to the original. Time will tell.
RX-8 Owners Club Founder Member
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

orbist wrote:Got my new handbrake fitted last friday and the plastic does seem to be different, a more flexible rubbery type compared to the original. Time will tell.
Just had a replacement fitted and I concur, it does feel more rubbery - only two years to go then to see if it outlasts the original. :lol:

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Lensman
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Lensman »

I had my latest lever fitted today and the design has changed. The offending plastic weld (the source of the trouble because it was at the exact point of most stress) is gone. The plastic protrusion is now seemingly a moulded part of the entire lever and I live in hope. If only the folks who fitted it could have looked after my poor sills as well... (scratched them)... ah well...
matfrost
Former Member
Former Member

Post by matfrost »

drmick wrote:Me (looks at the lovely service that BMW, Merc, Mini, Lexus etc give): Mazda suck!
Err

Had a Mercedes. The service department was useless. The rear trailing arm needed replacing, told them I needed the car for Saturday as I was going on holiday, they told me thats OK, we will fix it friday.
Took it in Friday for repair, went to pick it up Friday evening, they told me that they had stripped it down, and not had time to put it back together, but it would be ready Monday! Not much help really!!

Got a Mini Cooper S, waited 7 months for delivery, and when it turns up, they have messed up the order, and it does not have climate control fitted! Options were to take the car as is, and have a refund on the climate control, or wait another 7 months for another car to be built.
They then messed up my bonnet fitting driving lights, and it took them 3 attempts to repair it.

To be honest, all car dealers are useless. When I had the MX5's, the Mazda dealer was probably the best I have dealt with.

I have never heard anything bad about Lexus dealers though
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: Broken Handbrake

Post by warpc0il »

Checked my handbrake yesterday and sure enough it's broken. :(

The car's an 04 so no warranty left. :cry:

I suspect one of the contributory factors in the failure was that the handbrake hadn't been [urlw=http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 30&t=29197]correctly adjusted[/urlw] and was coming up too high, putting force on the cover section.

Anywho I found a [urlw=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0625419008]brand new handbrake assy on eBay[/urlw] and managed to bag it for £8.50 :)

It's coming 1st Class so that's another job for the weekend. :wink:
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
arex8
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by arex8 »

^^ :evil: I was bidding on this,.just missed it,.well done,.i dont really need the actual assembly,.just the cover part of it,.mines is worn,.good to see it went to a club member.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

:lol:
You're welcome to the cover part of mine, after I've swapped over, if it's any use to you.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
arex8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by arex8 »

^^Oooh,.that would be great,.you know the bit i mean dont you,.mines is all grubby,.and worn(from the previous owner,.not me.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

With the new handbrake due to arrive in the morning, I checked the Service Manual to see what was involved in fitting.

The section on Replacing Parking Brake starts with..
1. Remove prop shaft
What :?:
Why :?:

The US TSB for the faulty parking brake only gives the dealer 0.6hour to do the job, so it can't be that complex.

Can anyone that's done this give some advice please...
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
MetA
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ

Post by MetA »

Well, there's not a lot of space to get in and release the front cable.
PROBABLY could manage it, but for a dealership with a ramp then it's REAL easy to drop a prop-shaft.
Adds about 5 mins to the job.
THEN all the rest of the jobs are easy to get to and refit cables.

Not done it but pondered it after dropping a nut down the side of the lever.
Was easier to take two steps to the workshop nut store and put a new one in :)
RX-8 PZ. Grey, EBC discs/yellow pads all round, Kumho V70A race rubber for serious playtimes .... Alpine A610, Blue .... Matra Bagheera 'S', Black .... 'X', Orange .... Bandit motorbike, Black ..... share in OMS Z1100 Hillclimb
"To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman" - Jacques Anquetil, 5 times winner Tour De France cycle race
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

New h/brake just arrived =D> - with Installation Instructions :shock: , for the dealer :roll: .

No mention of the prop shaft :? but a page on removing the front passenger seat #-o
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”