Broken Handbrake

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
jimbobjoe
Founder Member
Founder Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Broken Handbrake

Post by jimbobjoe »

Just noticed on my car that a bit of plastic has broken on the handbrake lever.
It's the bit of plastic at the bottom of the handle that covers the gap that would otherwise be left in the centre console when the lever is up. (does that make sense ?)

Anyone had this before ?, and did Mazda fix it on warrantee ??

No idea how this happened, as it's not a bit that can easily get hit. Something to do with the cold weather ?
Velocity Red Hi-power, 2-tone leather.
JohnnyComeLately
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by JohnnyComeLately »

(Yes it does)

Yes they have, and yes they did.

(Druck will be along in a minute to talk about searches)
190, Nordic Green
Per
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Per »

Chalk up one more victim of the retired-thread-reaper!
Lensman
Founder Member
Founder Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Lensman »

I went through 2 and it's a known issue with a service bulletin. My latest lever has different plastic and seems less prone to the problem.
AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS »

Lensman wrote:I went through 2 and it's a known issue with a service bulletin. My latest lever has different plastic and seems less prone to the problem.
Ditto.
orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist »

Funnily enough I just noticed that mine was broken today - another trip to the dealers. Or at least find a new dealer as mine has gone completely now!
RX-8 Owners Club Founder Member
jimbobjoe
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by jimbobjoe »

JohnnyComeLately wrote:(Yes it does)

Yes they have, and yes they did.

(Druck will be along in a minute to talk about searches)
I did do a search, I promise!

I'll just add it to the list. I'm still waiting for my new alloys to arrive (the dealer rejected the first replacement set as they were already chipped), and then get the 2 recalls done at the same time.
Lensman
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Lensman »

JohnnyComeLately wrote: (Druck will be along in a minute to talk about searches)
Hey, I've read nearly every post on this forum and I know what keywords to use to find the threads I want but even so I still rarely locate posts that I know exist. This is not a sophisticated search facility we're dealing with...
PAULO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PAULO »

I'm glad Jimbobjoe has brought this up, I was cleaning the car on Sunday and noticed the "gap" when the handbrake was on. I was pretty certain it wasn't like this previously so I'll be on calling my dealer tomorrow to ask for a replacement.

More proof of the power of this great club 8)

Thanks guys (& gals)... Sorry to sound like Jimmy Saville :!:

Happy rotoring......

Paul
WB, LEATHER, F & R CREST, FINS, COLOUR CODED BUMPERS, LOWERED FRONT NUMBER PLATE, B PILLAR TRIMS,BRIDGESTONE RE050A, GARMIN NUVI 760 T, LOCKWOOD GRILLE SET, SHOW & SHINE WINNER 2007!!

BORN ON 19TH MARCH 2004 - SOLD 29th OCT 2008
NOW PORSCHE CAYENNE S & SMART BRABUS ROADSTER COUPE.....
RX8_West_Country
Former Member
Former Member

Re: broken handbrake

Post by RX8_West_Country »

jimbobjoe wrote:Just noticed on my car that a bit of plastic has broken on the handbrake lever.
Could you (or someone else with the problem) post a pic, so we know what's missing? Thanks.
SeanP
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by SeanP »

Just noticed today that mine's broken too :(
RX8_West_Country wrote:Could you (or someone else with the problem) post a pic, so we know what's missing? Thanks.
Here you go...
Attachments
Broken Handbrake bit
Broken Handbrake bit
Crw_5243_rj-broken-handbrake.jpg (95.44 KiB) Viewed 3261 times
R3, Diamond Grey = :twisted: HUGE smiles :twisted:
RoSPA & IAM (NO) Advanced Driving Tutor; Safe+Systematic+Smooth+Sparkle=FUN! Hayward rebuild@45K(s)miles, 17.5 MPG.
🏁Green Hell :D, Spa :D, AutoSolos 10+, Donnington, Oulton, Blyton, Prodrive x3, Thruxton, Brands Hatch x3, NorthWeald x5, Bedford SW. (Vids, Pics)🏁;
Never forget (28/08/09): 231, Titanium Grey, Leather.
Sue
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Sue »

I noticed today that mine is broken too, I thought I'd do a search before contacting the dealer to see if it was a known problem ..which obviously it is!
I was going to take a pic, but now I don't have to as mine looks exactly the same as the one above.
a call to the dealer is on the 'to do' list for tomorrow. :roll:
Sue
Velocity Red 190 with R/B leather/strakes/filler cap and a huge smile :D
Gone but never forgotten
now an Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 MA veloce
mcaussie
Former Member
Former Member
Location: Shropshire, I wish i was in Grenada,maybe when iam 40.

handbrake cover

Post by mcaussie »

I had handbrake replaced yesterday under warranty whilst it was in having its second service,i supplied some of oilmans finest they charged me £114.30 which was not a bad price i thought.

mike 8)
MIKE

Three Intake Ports Titanium Grey,front air dam,mudflaps,scuff plates,lowered number plate,parking sensors, K&N fliter,Racing Beat screens and a Racing Beat exhaust at last
"THE DOGS UNDERCARRIAGE" Still after three years !!!!
Zathras
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zathras »

Mine broke a month or so ago.

The dealer has told me that there is a modified part for the standard handbrake to stop the problem happening again :), however there doesn't appear to be one yet for the leather handbrake (which I have) :( .

Does anyone know if the modified part is indeed available with the leather trim or is likely to be soon?

Thanks

Ian
orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist »

Surely the leather handbrake isn't a complete replacement, just the upper section???

Mine goes in next friday to have the new part fitted (standard non-leather)
Zathras
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zathras »

Surely the leather handbrake isn't a complete replacement, just the upper section???
It appears to a complete replacement with the leather bit stitched on at the factory. Which perhaps explains the £150 :shock: list price!
Juey
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Black Cherry

Post by Juey »

mine gone too - just can't be bothered to take it in just for that. :?

will wait till 2nd service - 5k to go.
Black Cherry Mica
JDM Evolve. 192 6 spd manual from auto
I can explain it, but I can't understand it for you.
leeman
Former Member
Former Member

Post by leeman »

Another one broken here....noticed it on Sunday whilst giving the car a clean. Although quite annoying, I was impressed with how quickly and easily the cabin can be dismanteled and returned to it's normal state (as I had to retrieve the broken piece)........most of the time is spent unscrewing the gear knob !!!
Sue
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Sue »

I took mine in this morning to have it fixed.

I booked it in last week and double checked with them that they would in fact have the parts in to complete the job as it was a known problem with a known fix, i was assured that they would have the parts in.

Took it in at 8.50 this morning then strolled to the local retail park to enjoy spending a bit of dosh.....they phoned an hour or so later to tell me the car was ready and I was well impressed......until they said they'd have to order the parts for it!!!!!!!!!

luckily for the 16 year old (ish) girl on reception who had to impart this little gem (incidentally, the same well informed individual who assured me the parts would be available) I was in the middle of M&S at the checkout so had to modify my language somewhat, while failing miserable at appearing cool, calm and collected :evil:

This girl then got stroppy and started telling me that they couldn't possibly diagnose a problem until they had seen the car, and therefore couldn't order parts beforehand....and couldn't take on board that I'd informed THEM of the problem and also the fix!!
So it's going to take another visit to hopefully get it fixed.

while there, I asked for an update on my corroded strakes, and was told the new ones are available now .....so why haven't THEY contacted me to let me know as they promised?? I was going to leave this until the next service but just asked while i was already in there for something else.

GRRRRR not a happy bunny today...and once again not impressed with Peoples at Speke
Sue
Velocity Red 190 with R/B leather/strakes/filler cap and a huge smile :D
Gone but never forgotten
now an Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 MA veloce
orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist »

I've already been through the 'warranty' process so many times that I save them all up for one visit. Knowing they'd need to take photos, get authorisation etc etc

So took the car in before xmas for them to look at :

1. Broken Handbrake
2. Chipped seat backs
3. Semi-warm start problem (told them about TSB for new starter motor, colder plugs etc - was told no sir this is just they way things are with the RX-8 - err, not there is a TSB, my friend had it done this week (Dion) - ok leave it with us. Came back and the TSB had been released but they hadn't seen it!)

Anyway how many do you think will be fixed on Friday when it goes back it with the authorization already approved...

I think I'll phone them on Thursday to check all the parts are in...
drmick
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by drmick »

My local dealer has "hmmmmm"-ed and "aaaahhhhh"-ed about the handbrake nad mumbled something about 1 year warranty for interior trim.

And then said they don't know if the one year thing applies to both Ford and Mazda, or Ford alone!

They're gonna get back to me.........
Lensman
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Lensman »

drmick wrote:My local dealer has "hmmmmm"-ed and "aaaahhhhh"-ed about the handbrake nad mumbled something about 1 year warranty for interior trim.

And then said they don't know if the one year thing applies to both Ford and Mazda, or Ford alone!

B*llocks! :evil:
I've had my lever replaced long after the first year and the whole car is covered for defects for 3 years with few exceptions (clutch for one).
jimbobjoe
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by jimbobjoe »

drmick wrote:My local dealer has "hmmmmm"-ed and "aaaahhhhh"-ed about the handbrake nad mumbled something about 1 year warranty for interior trim.

my car is over 2 years old (and 46000 miles). They replaced the handbrake lever under warranty with no questions at all.

I can imagine that some interior damage will be put down to wear and tear, but this is a knownproblem, and IS covered.
drmick
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by drmick »

They rang me today- it's a known problem, blah, breaks in the cold, blah, blah, covered under warranty, we'll order it in for you.

Happy days.

Slightly off-topic, but this incident does raise some concerns for me. Most, if not all, local dealers are actually dealing with multiple franchises (Honda, Ford, MAzda, Hyundai) and none seem to be mainly Mazda, but rather Ford with Mazda stuck on.

In every single one there seems to be an owner/principal who walks around with a mobile trying to look important, but not actually doing any work. And they aways seem to drive Porsches or Jaguars or some other marque that isn't actually sold by their showroom.

The whole system doesn't fill me with confidence. In contrast with BMW, Merecedes etc who seem to make a big fuss out of customer service.
RotaryMC
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RotaryMC »

drmick wrote:The whole system doesn't fill me with confidence. In contrast with BMW, Merecedes etc who seem to make a big fuss out of customer service.
Yes but you do only get what you pay for. My wife used to have a Mercedes A Class and was treated like royalty by the Mercedes dealers. Unfortunately they also seemed to think we had the money of royalty. Fourth year service cost over £800......
Now in a Lexus IS 250 SE after 4 great years in my:
Mazda RX-8 Titanium Grey 231
04 Reg
Racing Beat exhaust and grills, Strakes, Crest, Black Calipers with Decals

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”