Changing Gearknob

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
fnegroni
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Changing Gearknob

Post by fnegroni » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:40 pm

I changed the original gear knob, and swapped it for my other car's one.
The "other car" is a Mazda323f, and the two gearknobs can't be compared for quality, the rx-8's feeling beefy and cleverly crafted, the 323's feeling plastichy and light.
But the shape of the knob is what counts, and I must say that fitting the 323's knob to the rx-8's shifter made such a difference to gearchanges, that even my wife noticed it.
She usually complains that it is difficult for her to downshift 5th to 3rd, cause she keeps missing the slot.
Well, with the new gearknob she says it all feels much more precise. I guess with it being bigger and rounder, it just fits in your hand better and so doesn't juggle about in your hand and makes shifting more precise.
I have therefore ordered this one for my xmas present:
Attachments
raceairlether.jpg
raceairlether.jpg (12.76 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
I sold the RX-8, I got a Volvo.

What's wrong with me?! :-(

SeanP
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by SeanP » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:22 pm

But does it illuminate ;)
R3, Diamond Grey = :twisted: HUGE smiles :twisted:
RoSPA & IAM (NO) Advanced Driving Tutor; Safe+Systematic+Smooth+Sparkle=FUN! Hayward rebuild@45K(s)miles, 17.5 MPG.
🏁Green Hell :D, Spa :D, AutoSolos 10+, Donnington, Oulton, Blyton, Prodrive x3, Thruxton, Brands Hatch x3, NorthWeald x5, Bedford SW. (Vids, Pics)🏁;
Never forget (28/08/09): 231, Titanium Grey, Leather.

Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Harrizone » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:25 pm

Or keep your hand warm at night. 8)
Now a distant memory unfortunately.

timechaser
Non Member
Non Member

Post by timechaser » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:50 am

What does it "feel" like when it is in your hand :twisted:
No car - looking at a JDM RX-8 now.

fnegroni
Former Member
Former Member

Post by fnegroni » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:09 am

timechaser wrote:What does it "feel" like when it is in your hand :twisted:
You should ask my wife, she uses it most of the time! ;-)

bassfiend
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Changing Gearknob

Post by bassfiend » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:34 pm

On the testdrives I took of the RX I found the gearknob to be a tad small, hard and pointy for my huge paws and I'd been wondering about something like the Momo Anatomico (below) - strikes me as being nice and "traditional" looking and (hopefully) should be comfortable.

Phil
Attachments
anatomico.jpg
Momo Anatomico...
anatomico.jpg (50.46 KiB) Viewed 1906 times

bassfiend
Former Member
Former Member

Post by bassfiend » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:51 pm

Is it just me that finds this one somewhat perverse? (See attached - Momo Anatomico in leather and wood.)

As it is, I rather like this one too :

http://www.body-kit.co.uk/acatalog/blac ... ndard.html

See "Joy" Black + Thumb Grip (second from bottom)

Phil

fnegroni
Former Member
Former Member

Post by fnegroni » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:02 pm

The only caveat with the MOMO knobs is the fitting.

The Mazda knobs are all screw-on type. That's how I found out I needed to replace the stock gearknob, by using the knob found on a Mazda 323f which I found more comfortable.

The MOMO knobs have a "universal" fit: the hole is quite big, and you need to use some (supplied) rubber washers and three screws (two lengths supplied for different sticks: you must use the 'long' screws).

This means that from time to time you must check the tightness of the screws that hold the knob secured to the stick.

The original mazda knob for the rx-8 is very good quality, weighty and tightly fitting, and being screw-on, it is really easy to service.

bassfiend
Former Member
Former Member

Post by bassfiend » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:15 pm

fnegroni wrote:The original mazda knob for the rx-8 is very good quality, weighty and tightly fitting, and being screw-on, it is really easy to service.
Hopefully I'll just get used to it but I was just aware that on the test drives I took I found that the end of the standard one just made the fleshy bit between my thumb and forefinger a bit sore...

Phil

fnegroni
Former Member
Former Member

Post by fnegroni » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:41 pm

I actually changed it for similar reasons.

I am just saying that, apart from the shape, there is no fault with the original.

Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Harrizone » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:45 pm

fnegroni wrote:
I am just saying that, apart from the shape, there is no fault with the original.
Coupled with the 'Hymee short shifter' it fits my need and has made the occasional slip from third to fifth a thing of the past. In fact at Thruxton using the standard shift I found myself changing into first on at least one entry into the chicane, but realised before letting the clutch out fully. :oops:

Ralphie
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Ralphie » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:48 pm

Seems strange to me that some of you are claiming the standard one is uncomfy, the illuminated one i have on currently is lovely, trouble is it keeps on doing a kylie minogue on me, spinning around and all that.

Im off to the dealers tomorrow or next week, unclipping the gaitor shows me 3 grub screw holes with no screws, Im reckoning they got slack during a warranty and left them off, but the dealer is claming that its not attached by grub screws, i claim otherwise so im hoping for a warrnty. O and the joy of a courtesy car if im lucky by claiming that its dangerous, which in all fairness it is. O and i did originally try to find some grub screws myself but they are all too big, the holes in the stick are tiny, o well.

I had a mate with one of those momo's (the funny shaped one not the round), He didnt like it much so took it off.

orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:51 pm

Its not attached by grub screws, only the fact that it screws onto the stick itself. The grub screws hole the bottom of the knob together, where the wires come out.

Mine has started working loose too, so back again to get them to fix before this one stops working..!
RX-8 Owners Club Founder Member

bassfiend
Former Member
Former Member

Post by bassfiend » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:54 pm

Ralphie wrote: Seems strange to me that some of you are claiming the standard one is uncomfy, the illuminated one i have on currently is lovely, trouble is it keeps on doing a kylie minogue on me, spinning around and all that.
I think the problem I have is that (apparently) I have hands like bears paws - I'm told they're huge - and the short, stubby RX knob results in its top end pressing into the fleshy bit between my thumb and first finger which does after a while end up feeling a bit sore.

I'm actually trying to change my driving style so that instead of gripping the gearknob in a "hand vertical around the shaft" style (as you would hold an old style manual beer pump handle) to change gear I am trying to do it in a more "hand flat over the top" style (as you would hold the more modern Guinness style plastic beer taps) instead.

Phil
Last edited by bassfiend on Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm only posting here now because I can't think of anywhere I "need" to drive to...

Sunlight Silver 230 - 26,299 miles and £5,140.86 in fuel (@ 20.9 mpg ave.) since 28th July 2006 and still lovin' it...

AW8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AW8 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:32 pm

Ralphie wrote:Seems strange to me that some of you are claiming the standard one is uncomfy, the illuminated one i have on currently is lovely, trouble is it keeps on doing a kylie minogue on me, spinning around and all that.
Ralphie- thats the second replacement (both by nyetimber mazda due to illumination cut out ), but be warned mazda uk are a bit hit and miss on authorising these under warranty. They will ask you if you have turned it. If you say you def have not and it has only recently worked loose you may stand a better chance.....cough cough :wink:

BTW the part fitted is the revised one supposedly less problematic than the original design harness which apparently cut out more. I'd ask them to loctite it whether refitted or replaced and I'd make sure they update the records on database. Your car at end of the day- just trying to help.

Good Luck
Last edited by AW8 on Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VR 230 owned 2003-2006 - Never to be forgotten.

Critters
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Critters » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:17 am

bassfiend wrote:...instead of gripping the gearknob in a "hand vertical around the shaft" style (as you would hold an old style manual beer pump handle) to change gear I am trying to do it in a more "hand flat over the top" style (as you would hold the more modern Guinness style plastic beer taps) instead.
Or get this mod:
Attachments
new-knob-for-bassfiend.jpg
new-knob-for-bassfiend.jpg (11.53 KiB) Viewed 831 times
My sites n stuff
Car Black 230, K&N Typhoon, BORLA exhaust, ice-link iPod kit, Lockwood grilles, Pilot Sports, chrome strakes, tints
HT Panasonic PTAE2000, 92" GreywolfII, Onkyo 875, Monitor Audio Radius 180's

bassfiend
Former Member
Former Member

Post by bassfiend » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:14 am

Now that looks like a plan! :D

Phil
I'm only posting here now because I can't think of anywhere I "need" to drive to...

Sunlight Silver 230 - 26,299 miles and £5,140.86 in fuel (@ 20.9 mpg ave.) since 28th July 2006 and still lovin' it...

Rocketman
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Rocketman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:11 pm

Hahahahahaha ! :lol:
Rocketman

Moor1e
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Moor1e » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:15 pm

Hi there, just going to collect my new RX8 54 plate reading the posts does the original gear knob illuminate as standard

CHEERS Moor1e
Iam loving it
Ayrshire,Scotland

Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Harrizone » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:21 pm

Unfortunately not, and a lot of those purchased as an option, at a great deal of money, lasted for a month at most until they were modified.

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”