Fuel pump/tank issue SOS

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
sztriki
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Fuel pump/tank issue SOS

Post by sztriki »

Hi All,
So I took the bitch to MOT to a nearby garage. The mechanic guy lives practically next door and the garage is 5 mins away, was supposed to be a simple MOT. Failed on fuel leak. Every once in a while I smelled a faint whiff of petrol when I filled the car full so I was like okay. I had some problems last year namely that the seal was missing from when they did the recall on the fuel pump (shortly before I bought the car).
He ordered a seal and the top screw bit from Mazda and was supposed to be done today. I went to see what's up, he told me there's an even bigger issue now. Apparently he put it in, it was okay, took it home (again he lives just across the street so I was gonna pick it up from him) and now the car's pissing petrol. When he took a look and took the fuel pump off there was a lot of pressure inside the tank and he told me the car's not even starting now. He'll get it in the garage using a trailer to see if there's anything he can do and will call Mazda to see what's inside the tank (ie secondary pump between the sender and the fuel pump etc). Said worst case scenario the tank's distorted somehow and there's no breathing. I had my spare keys so I just walked over to the car afterwards, big puddle underneath. The starter turns around but I can hear that it's just the starter turning it and no petrol is getting to the engine and when I stopped it more petrol started to gush out of the tank, it did look and feel like pressure was pushing it out.
Any ideas tips, advice? Don't really feel like hunting down a new tank. There was no petrol flowing or dripping out before at least none that was visible. Sometimes a fain smell, but definitely not this volume.
sztriki
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Fuel pump/tank issue SOS

Post by sztriki »

Just realized I probs added it in the wrong forum area, sorry...can mods move it to the more appropriate section or should I create a new one?
sztriki
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Fuel pump/tank issue SOS

Post by sztriki »

Aaargh, just got an update, one of the fuel line clips came off, now fixed. Sorry everyone I panicked a bit...

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”