Starting RX8 after holidays.

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
northerner69
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Has thanked: 0

Starting RX8 after holidays.

Post by northerner69 »

Is there a procedure out there for getting an RX8 to start after a prolonged spell of non-use? I attempted to start her after returning from my holidays (about 10 days of not used) without success. Normally she starts after a couple of cranks but all that's happened this time is the starters spinning the engine but showing no signs of firing. The battery is almost flat so I'll retry on a jump start, but is there any helpful hints out there for future reference.

Note, I always follow this start up procedure, turn ignition on to the 2nd position and get myself settled until dashboard lights go out then start with clutch depressed and no accelerator pedal. I'm thinking after a long break is it helpful to perhaps pump the accelerator a couple of times to get fuel moving or is this more likely to cause flooding?

I'm not sure whether to attempt the restart on the assumption it is now flooded or not!

Thanks for any advise.
Scartlead
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Starting RX8 after holidays.

Post by Scartlead »

I hadnt started mine in nearly two years, so a little longer than a fornights jollies etc. In my case before first time start, I put the loud pedal flat to the floor and turned the engine over in 3 10 second bursts to help prime and start circulating oil. With your foot on the accelerator to the floor acts as a fuel cut, so it shouldnt start. Once your starter as cooled a little start as normal and you are good to go :)
Aka Mark

My Build viewtopic.php?f=204&t=70916
Scartlead
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Scartlead »

plus your battery needs to be in tip top condition
Aka Mark

My Build viewtopic.php?f=204&t=70916
SeriousSam
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeriousSam »

If you've already cranked the engine over, you may well have already flooded it as you suspect. My approach would be to try a jump start, and if that doesn't work then tow start it. If it was starting well when you left it last, then a tow start will almost certainly get it going. Just don't forget to turn the ignition on when you try it, otherwise your face goes very red :oops:
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

Started mine recently after 5 months. It started first turn, after about half a second. The only "trick" necessary is to make sure the battery is fully charged before trying. I've never had a problem.
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Phil Bate »

Scartlead touches on the useful de-flood feature above. Make it a habit that if you have left the car long enough to wonder if the battery is flat, begin cranking with the accelerator fully depressed to prevent fuel injection. If it turns over as normal simply release the accelerator whilst cranking and it will start.
If it struggles to turn over, you can stop cranking and reach for the charger/jump leads etc. safe in the knowledge that you definitely haven't flooded it :thumleft:

However as Pete mentioned already, if the battery is kept charged then just fire it up - no special procedure required.

Good luck with your deflooding ;)
These users thanked the author Phil Bate for the post:
Designer156 (Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:03 am)
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Phil Bate »

Also, pumping the accelerator before starting does nothing - the fuel delivery is electronic and does not begin until the engine is turning. There is no accelerator pump as you would have on a carburettor
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
northerner69
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by northerner69 »

Thanks for all the advice as ever.

Got her running again just as 2 young lads were walking past and commenting on the nice car! This time it wasn't interested in a jump off my son's car so I put the battery on charge overnight, (and all Day). Fitted said battery and starter turning slow as... Hooked it up to my V60 for a jump and straight away she fired up. Took it for a 10 mile blast and now the starters whirring away fine. It seems that maybe the battery is not holding its charge over time.

Battery was new when I bought the car 18 months ago and its a Halfords job. Might drop in there and get it checked by them and argue the case! I'm going to contact the previous owner and see if he still has the receipt as well.

If the battery tests fine I will start directly off jump leads if it's left for a prolonged time, I reckon under the circumstances that's the best solution, it'll only be after holiday's, etc so not so much an issue.

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”