Replacing drop links.

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Replacing drop links.

Post by Delanor »

Inevitably everyone will have to replace the drop links at some time or another especially if you intend to keep the RX-8 - the original O/S front link recently broke on my car @ only 25K miles so if you are in need of replacements make sure the ones you buy have spanner flats on the mounting flange as not all replacements have them then if and when you have to replace the stock items which have no spanner flats it will make future fitting/removal of the replacements a lot easier as you can prevent the joint turning whilst undoing the locking nut which usually has rust on the thread meaning the whole joint turns round whilst trying to remove the nut.

Del.
Untitled.png
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Replacing drop links.

Post by kopite72 »

Are they OE droplinks Del? If so have you a link?
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Re: Replacing drop links.

Post by Delanor »

No Ian that is an example photo the stock drop links ie. Mazda do not have the spanner flat so I had to break the plastic casing to get a pair of mole grips on the steel ball to stop it turning whilst removing the nut - one end came off easily the other was well rusty (25K miles)

As I said not all aftermarket joints have a spanner flat I bought a single joint from Eurocarparts (they are handed and only had the one I wanted) then I bought a pair online and they did not have any spanner flats (need to file some on)

Del.
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (16.64 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”