Trax Perfomance Car Event | Sunday 7th October | Silverstone

Track Action / Drift Demos / The Tyre Challenge / RX-8 Club Stand / Fast Car 400 Display / The TurboSmart Sprint Test

Rear light misting any cure.

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
Squeel
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Rear light misting any cure.

Post by Squeel » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:25 pm

I've done it now by replacing the gasket in 2 parts as previous posts and drying out the lights with a hair dryer until completely dry. Since then I've had no misting problems (touchwood)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Dr. FrankenRex
Communications Team
Communications Team
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Just ordered some adhesive neoprene - £10 for a metre square - Thanks Phil for the idea, will see how we go.
Current: FrankenRex 2, leaner and meaner. '60 plate, eibach lowering spings, Maserati 6 pots, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights

Ongoing: Rotary Revs Full Bridge Port with some special secret sauce...

No more: '58 Blue R3, '04 White/ Black 192, '09 Diamond Grey R3, '09 Velocity Red R3

SeeJay
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by SeeJay » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:36 pm

I had condensation issues on my R3's rear lights,so did a 'belt 'n braces job..

Removed the units,cleaned off all traces of the old gaskets,dried the lights out for a few hours in front of a fan heater,then refitted with new gaskets from Mazda - £25 a side - plus a liberal bead of silicone sealant all round :roll:

No more misted up lenses \:D/
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads

zippyonline
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by zippyonline » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:25 am

I thought I'd share these photos on this thread too.
236.JPG
OEM vs custom design.
P1000709.JPG
Fitted
This allows drainage through the middle rather than allow the crap to accumulate at the top of the gasket. The mazda "fix" was a TSB with a big thick chunk of neoprene at the top of the light cluster to intercept the boot drainage channel, this also accumulates crap and eventually fails - I think this is a far more elegant design, and the theory has been tested by many members on here previously.

This is all proper design - I used a computer and everything (although ironically no photos of the final design evolution other than finished product!) :lol:
P1000358.JPG
P1000365.JPG
I'll see how these goes, if I'm happy with them, and there's any interest, I can organise a group buy - it works out at a reasonable cost if I get a batch of 10 plotted.
Copper Red Evolve - viewtopic.php?f=104&t=71400

Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:14 pm

SeeJay wrote:I had condensation issues on my R3's rear lights,so did a 'belt 'n braces job..
I believe Aston at Essex Rotary has had a delivery of his gaskets for the R3 lights recently if anybody else with an R3 is having this issue and wants a better gasket.
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired - just need to get rid of hand over the bank stuff etc)
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”