Be Careful out there

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
chriswilloughby
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey

Re: Be Careful out there

Post by chriswilloughby »

Phew Danny!!! At that time of night, I'd be tempted to do at least 45/50 :(
RX8 R3-Rotary Revs D585 coils and leads-Looked after by Sir Rotary of Revs and me, oh and Oily aka Darren-Mini Map for D585's-20mm Spacers-Decatted
VelocityVinnie
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Custom

Post by VelocityVinnie »

Pisses me off when coppers say that!, try and get it home in 1 piece, not everybody is in capable of driving at more than 30mph without totaling a car.

I drive my car as good as i do fast, than i do slow, im still in full control, aware of my surroundings and other road users.

Yet some people can't even manage parking in a supermarket on a Sunday without taking out at least 3 cars and trolley in the process.

Do coppers sit in morrisons carparks and tell people, oooooh make sure you get parked keeping yours AND OTHERS cars in one piece!?
chriswilloughby
Former Member
Former Member

chriswilloughby wrote:
i-CONICA wrote:Image

:lol:
So, I spotted the cops this week, through the Welsh valleys, he was at the end of a 1.5 mile straight!!!! Very well hidden!!!!!

RX8 R3-Rotary Revs D585 coils and leads-Looked after by Sir Rotary of Revs and me, oh and Oily aka Darren-Mini Map for D585's-20mm Spacers-Decatted
euphony
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by euphony »

chriswilloughby wrote:Bob, again, I take on board what you say, however, your not completely accurate. With regards to the Welsh camera, he was hiding very well. Are you familiar with the A585? Overtaking cyclist's is easily possible on this road safely. I consider myself to be an exceptional courteous focused driver and I consistently concentrate at all times whilst behind the wheel of my 8, it was entrapment with no warnings and I don't think my GB on my number plate helped either. With regards to me wasting the instructors time, I imagine they receive a good salary for the work they do, so there was no wasting time apart from mine. I felt the course was very much a 'sit and listen' and the way the instructors came across, was as If they were reading a script.
Chris, I don't know you from Adam, so, no judgement on my part, but, 95% of speeders, dangerous drivers and boy racers say that they're "courteous, focused and concentrate 100% of the time" oh and they say it in court having just been convicted for........speeding, dangerous driving, road rage etc. It's not entrapment either, if you weren't breaking the law you wouldn't be in that position.
Oh and if you "consistently concentrate at all times while driving" that means you were aware of the speed limit and of your own speed therefore simply, wilfully broke the law..........just saying.
Flappy Paddled Automatic with a To-Do list of tasteful mods in the offing.
chriswilloughby
Former Member
Former Member

Hardly 'breaking the law'. There were 3 bikes ahead of me, and directly in front of me was a Mono 1. We were equally enjoying the road at the same pace and, I prefer to see it as not 'quite' abiding to the speed limit in place. If it isn't entrapment, whys he hiding so well at the end of such a long straight? That van must 'ker-Ching' every 10 seconds or so.

Take today for example, I'm driving behind a car on a twisty coast road, he's driving between 18 and 21 mph, literally, then periodically touching his brakes. I didn't get upset by this but I don't consider that to be safe driving whatsoever. He obviously was unaware I was behind him, which meant I couldn't enjoy the drive as I had to keep an eye on his brake lights!?!

Edit. Bob, that quote was from August 2013.
Last edited by chriswilloughby on Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
euphony
Former Member
Former Member

Post by euphony »

chriswilloughby wrote:Hardly 'breaking the law'. ...."l and, I prefer to see it as not 'quite' abiding to the speed limit in place.
ppp

Mate, that is the definition of breaking the law....lol!
chriswilloughby
Former Member
Former Member

I have to ask euphony, are you an ex-copper? :)
DannyJames
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by DannyJames »

Nobody on this forum bought an RX8 to stick to the speed limit at all times and if they say otherwise they're lying. So very kindly dismount your high horses please!
Jap.Club Project Page.
euphony
Former Member
Former Member

Post by euphony »

DannyJames wrote:Nobody on this forum bought an RX8 to stick to the speed limit at all times and if they say otherwise they're lying. So very kindly dismount your high horses please!
Danny, I assure you no high horses involved, no judgements made, simple analysis and reflection on statements made. That's what fora are for....comment and banter.

Oh and NO Chris no fuzz here mate [-X
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by AdamGaltress »

I spotted a speed camera van on a layby yesterday, not parked in the parking spaces, but the drive through section of it. No stickers or anything on it, just a standard looking white van. Luckily I wasn't driving and the driver was doing the correct speed. But I couldn't believe the sneeky bugger in the van!
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

JDM RX-7 FD - Project Thread
Bridgeport Copper Red MazdaSpeed Evolve - Project Thread
- Parted out
Markryan1981
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Markryan1981 »

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/cameralert/id336238843 I'm going to give this a try... gets a good write up...
Mark

“Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.”

Titanium 231. Apex Rebuild @ 90k. Vreds 235/40/R18s, Premixing Motul 710. Fuchs XTR 5w-30. K&N air filter. XCarLink with Bluetooth. RR D585s, NGK Iridium plugs & Magnecor leads. White LEDs. Lockwood Grills. Red Stuff Ceramic pads and drilled discs. Using Tescos 99 ron.

http://www.albinballad.co.uk <- the other daft expensive hobby.
chriswilloughby
Former Member
Former Member

Thanks, just downloaded and will try it later, first glance, seems accurate though :)
CameronFarrell182
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red
Has thanked: 0

Post by CameronFarrell182 »

I always thought it was illegal for the police to hide speed cameras. I thought they had to be clearly visible and in areas where the speed camera signs are posted. Surely if there is some sort of law and if they are hiding the vans, not painting them or hiding them in cats eyes then the fine is void? I dont know if this is true, just what I heard.
Just to add my story too, ive had my 8 for almost a year. Its a fire breathing rwd beast, and ive never been caught speeding. Borrowed my dads old 1 litre punto for the weekend for a trip down south, and got flashed doing 36 in a 30 :evil:

IRONY MUCH?
DONE:
D585 Coils w Magnecore leads, Grom audio IPod Integrated, red calipers, metallic anthracite alloys w Bridgestone Potenzas, Toyosport cat back, Osram Nightbreaker bulbs.

Running Shell Nitro+ with Castrol Power 1 2T premix. Millers Oils. Looked after by Rotary Revs

Project Thread: http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=56791
chriswilloughby
Former Member
Former Member

Markryan1981 wrote:https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/cameralert/id336238843 I'm going to give this a try... gets a good write up...
I've been using this app all week, really good Mark, early pre-warnings etc :) oh and, I got 3 points (for my excellent road handling) and £100 fine :(
RX8Pete
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by RX8Pete »

Looks like thing haven't changed much since the thread started...

Had the pleasure of being lifted for £80 & 'enlightenment' course for doing the massive speed of 34 mph in a 30 zone on my motorbike. Granted, it was reasonably heavy traffic & was just trying to catch up to my Son who had a green at the last lights, when I didn't...so Danno booked me!

The main piece I took away from the 'enlightenment' course was that I never forgot the scenario they painted, asking the reasons for us speeding previously (all lame excuses). After the course was being brought to a close they painted a picture, of you, the booked driver in court, having hit a child who later died from their injuries. They then painted the scenario of the barrage of questions as evidence had proved the child would have lived if you had not been driving above the speed limit - an ugly, tense scene given the parents of the child were obviously there & you being sent down scene. They described the distraught child's parents outburst as they expressed their understandable anguish, grief & pain.

Then they painted the the alternative scene where you were found not to have been speeding & whilst still a horrible, gut wrenching feeling, you were not to be guilty of any driving offence, let go by the judge with no further actions being taken.

It made me really, really think, which is what it was meant to do, obviously & how I would feel if that scenario became reality. Still makes me go all cold being a Father. From that moment on, either in a car or on a motorbike my rule is 20 IS 20 (like school areas), 30 IS 30 & 40 IS 40. Anything else is up for (intelligent ) grabs. I put myself on an ERS (Enhanced Rider Scheme), one of the best things I have ever done. It has helped me read the road & conditions far better &, more importantly, read drivers/riders far, far better & saved me countless times from even being put into situations, rather than trying to get myself out of them.

We all like to think we are good, real drivers, it's only natural being enthusiasts & the RX-8 helps us play that card but we can all become better drivers. But, no course or instruction is going to work unless one element, the brain works like a parachute.....it works best when 'open'.

Have fun out there & please Be Safe ;)
Done .....: K&ND585 KIT (HERKO HE)CRUISE CONTROL...SOHN TANK...PART LED EXTERIORBONNET STRUTS
WIP.......: Photochromic mirrorKeyfob auto up/down windowsLED interiorPZ type spoiler
Wish list .: Electric passenger seatCobra catbackThrottle body port & polishP/Black trimFull mapAlloys4 Pot brakes20BReverse auto wing mirrors tilt
WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by WildMan10 »

If there is anything or anyone about I rarely do above the speed limit in built up areas regardless of the temptations. I've had too many close calls on bikes there.

Over the last few days I've been watching a few YouTube compilations of vehicle accidents in preparation for upping my miles on my bike in the warmer weather. It also helps for my car driving. I do this every year even though I consider myself a skilled and aware driver (HGV licence, advanced driving courses, IAM car & bike, been road safety man and CPC holder for 1000 vehicle fleet, blah blah). I also watch an hour or 2 of track day crashes immediately before a track day, particularly one on my bike. I advise everyone to do the same.

That said, speed above the speed limit is a factor in only a few per cent of crashes, serious or otherwise. The real problem is excess speed for road, traffic and weather conditions and IMO the current emphasis of 'speed above the speed limit bad, speed below speed limit good' distracts from the real issues and probably does more harm than good.

I object to speed cameras as they probably do more harm than good and the statistics used to justify them are bogus or inappropriate. They regularly cause mayhem on my normal commuting route as someone braking unexpectedly causes a ripple backwards. Someone I knew was killed on his bike when a driver did an emergency brake at a camera site and the car behind swerved into him.

Increasing congestion from our increasing population and prosperity will inevitably produce computer-controlled motorway speed limits with average speed cameras. We won't have to wait too long for them as technology is driving down the price of such systems. A stretch of motorway near me has already received the hardware.
Ian
Now back to one, a white R3. Gone but not forgotten: 04 Tit Grey 231, 06 Copper Red Evolve (231), 09 VR R3, 10 Aurora Blue R3, 06 Black PZ; RX87 13BREW project car ;-( ; 04 White with Greddy turbo conversion ;-(

Buying a used RX8 turbo is like marrying a stripper.
Beware - older people may be cr@p drivers but they can afford better lawyers
Vian
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Vian »

^^

Yep, you're right. It creates a mentality where the speed limit is what to aim for rather than road conditions. I live in the countryside and there are so many lanes and roads where they are of course national speed limit, but anyone doing 60mph down them is completely certifiable and thoroughly irresponsible.
"Don't care if they say we are a dying race, I'd rather be here than any other place"
Essex2Visuvesi
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

A speed limit is exactly that.... the maximum speed permissible in ideal conditions

Tailgting and the lack of concentration/awareness of other road users is most probably the largest factor in road accidents
Proud Member of the Essex Wankelist Massive
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

Lots of NSL roads around me I won't do more than 30mph down due to it not being safe and being able to stop within seeing distance yet still get tailgated by old people in 4x4's where as there's loads of 30mph/40mph roads were it would be perfectly safe to do over a ton as they are well sighted and in good condition and that's where the cameras will be placed, where the most revenue can be generated.
Most the time limits are set simply to cater to the lowest common denominator inept drivers, its laughable to think its due to safety, all they do is turn normally law abiding people against the police.

Went out for a quick blat earlier in the month with my mate in his Scooby and he has a legal system that detects police via their tetra radio's, it actually works! I assumed it would be bs but it gave about a kilometer warning of a police van that we were rapidly closing in on as well as oncoming police cars driving towards us.
Tempted to get one myself but they cost about a grand fitted (target blu eye is the one he has, there maybe cheaper alternatives) but would easily pay its self back if it prevented you getting a driving ban.
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

i really cant get my head around why they would send people on a speed awareness course for being 5 or 6 MPH over the limit,its laughable.We dont have such courses in Ireland but thats not to say that they wont be introduced at some stage down the line but I like to think that the police here ( not all but a lot of them ) use their common sence and a bit of decency when it comes to such things.

An example-About a year ago i was coming home from work and said road is a dual carriageway with a limit of 120KPH,before i knew what was happening there was blues and two's in my rear view so i pulled over.This young policeman approached the car so i rolled down the window,he asks me " Wheres the fire? " i knew from that question the guy at least had a sense of humour,i apologised and asked him what speed he clocked me at,he said 143KPH :shock: I was genuinely surprised,again i apologised and said i knew i was over the limit but hadnt realised by how much.To his credit he said watch my speed in future and " safe home " Now you could look at that two ways,the first being that he was too soft and shuold have done me,the second is that he saw i wasnt a maniac who was zipping in and out of traffic acting like a 18 YO boy racer looking for victims so to speak.IMO he did the right thing and yes you will say.well im bound to say that because it was me but i said it to a friend of mine whos also a police officer and he said he would have done the same thing.Anyways long story short,if the police used a bit more common sense i think these speed awareness would be alot less populated
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
Patrae
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by Patrae »

I got done at 65mph in a 50mph limit (those of you who frequent the Bournemouth area will be familiar with the part of the A31 I'm talking about) at 08:30 on a Sunday morning. Nobody else on the road and on a dual carriageway that is wider than the M3 in places. I was 1mph over the threshold for the Driver Awareness Course, so got the 3 points. I never break the speed limit in residential and built up areas and drive the speed of the road on motorways. That van was there for no other reason than to make money. You can't find the police anywhere during rush hour when people are sat on their mobile phones, or when you have someone sat in the middle lane of a motorway doing 60, or when pubs and clubs kick out and "oh I've only had a few, I'll be fine to drive back" decides to pick up his keys.

The "speed kills" mantra being chanted whenever you are caught speeding is a load of rubbish. It's drivers who are inattentive, drive unsafe cars (don't get me started on what a waste of time an MOT is) and drive aggressively, that also speed that kills.

There was an incredibly interesting study conducted in the USA with regards to speed limits where different states raised and lowered their speed limits on major roads (Motorways and A-Road equivalents) and found that the serious accident rate actually dropped the higher the speed limit was set. The theory behind these findings was to do with speed differential (one of the biggest contributory factors in how serious an accident could be) - those that would speed would do the same speed regardless, and those that were law abiding would drive at the limit.

Rant over :oops:
Essex2Visuvesi
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Speed does NOT kill.... Its the rapid deceleration when you hit something :)
Proud Member of the Essex Wankelist Massive
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Bit of a thread resurrection, but having recently been over in Germany and having done some driving on the auto-bahns, I don't think our speed limits are a bad thing.

As people have said, everybody claims to be a 'perfectly safe, attentive driver' - myself included, but we have to have speed limits in place because UK drivers have a small percentage of idiots that don't understand A) the capabilities of their vehicle B) the capabilities of themselves as a driver and C) the fore-thought to realise that other people utilise the road (both pedestrians, cyclists, horses, motorbikes etc). - The one thing I'd suggest is adaptive speed limits for the weather, like they have on the autobahns. In most places it's de-restricted unless it's raining or between certain times, when it has a sliding scale of limits. Good idea if you ask me.

On the Autobahns over in Germany, people look so much further ahead than people over here (generalisation) and nobody pulls in when they're not over taking. On the whole people in Germany do this and are much safer because of it - even given the higher speeds.

When all said and done, the people claiming 'it was safe where I chose to do it' and 'it wasn't breaking the law' - you're wrong, plain and simple. We all know what the limits are and we choose whether we break them. I'm not squeaky clean, I have points and I feel foolish for doing it, but I made a choice and have to deal with it. Whether it's 35 in a 30 or 60 in a 30, it's still breaking the law and you need to deal with that IMHO...
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
Vian
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Vian »

I'm not sure why it's such an oft stated thing that Germany is safer. The UK's road casualty rate is better than Germany by every conceivable measure, and not slightly either, it's substantially better.

Fatalities per year per 100,000 inhabitants
Germany 4.3
UK 2.9

Fatalities per 100,000 vehicles per year
Germany 6.8
UK 5.1

Fatalities per 1 billion vehicle-km
Germany 4.9
UK 3.6

That's a huge margin, in two comparable countries. British road safety is absolutely outstanding, given the number of cars and population density, it's quite probably the best in the world.
"Don't care if they say we are a dying race, I'd rather be here than any other place"
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by 79398 »

I did an advanced driving course in 2004 at the time I was doing about 55K miles a year for work as a surveyor and then bought my first rx8, and doing 10K a year in that and thought it was time I upped my game.
To be honest it was one of the hardest things I have ever undertaken, and also one of the best decisions I have ever made.
3 hour final test with a hendon trained police driving instructor, could not use the rx8 as it did not behave as a normal car in terms of engine braking had to use my Lexus which wasn't much better to be honest.
Saved over £500 on the following years insurance for being a member , would recommend it to anyone who takes driving and enjoying the car seriously.

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”