What to do if Rx stalls when it's cold

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Re: What to do if Rx stalls when it's cold

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Battery should be ok,as it was New this year :roll:

When the car is serviced next month,they will be doing a Hot & Cold Compression Test on the car in anycase :!: ,also they will be changing the Brake Pad's Brake Disc's aswell :P
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
Will66
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: 231
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by Will66 »

The brake pads and discs then Nigel. :lol:
RX8OC Met Advisor and Ex-Moderator!
Miss May 2013 with these modifications02 November 2012

Certified Tarmac Terrorist! Evading the colour police since March 2013 :ninja:

Mazda RX8 - The Liv Tyler's Lips of Motoring
mikejenkins
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red
Has thanked: 0

Post by mikejenkins »

If you stall it when it's cold just start it again. It only floods if you turn off a cold engine and leave it for a period of time (unknown).
VelocityVinnie
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Custom

Post by VelocityVinnie »

Nope it can still flood when you stall it if its REALLY cold! as like said the cold start dumps more fuel into the engine (2500rpm) so stalling it, and then trying to restart could flood the engine.

Although why you should stall it is beyond me! and if your worried about stalling your car, or think you will, then you need to take your car out and learn some clutch control!
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Post by GreySilver Beast »

...........................or buy a Automatic :lol:
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
mikejenkins
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mikejenkins »

My wife stalls my Rex Frequently when she drives it as she normally drives an auto, and across 2 rx8s (including one with a slow starter, shot coils and hot start problems) a stall has never resulted in a flood.

I wait 10 seconds before driving off, waiting for it to warm up fully when stationary would take ages and upset my neighbours.

So according to my experience, my response to the OP is not to worry about it.
Matt Shepherd
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver
Been thanked: 0

Post by Matt Shepherd »

I nearly died of embaressment. Barring the first day i drove the car - i had never stalled it, or even came close to it for that matter. However 2 weeks ago at work i was walking back to my car after finishing work , (i always walk to the car slower if ive got the 8 instead of the punto to prolong the viewing time of her :D) when i noticed some hot little admin biatch and her mate coming out the opposite building. So i jump in stacey, turn the key 2 clicks, she started wonderfully just as the girls walked by (and had a right good stare in the cockpit :D) then i driv her forward and turn to come out the car park, which now brings me in perfect view of 4 very fine nut crackingly tight butt cheeks. However disaster strikes, my foot slipps completly off the clutch and she stalls right on the spot :(

Aside from my ego taking an enormous kick'in, i started her up again post haste :D (then it suddenly dawned on me what id done) I was sooo thankful she didnt flood, the embaressment of stalling her and the girls noticing was bad enough - but if stacey had wet herself in the middle of my works car park...im not sure what i would have done :D
I own an rx8! \:D/
05, 192 PS, 26600mi - Sunlight Silver
Will66
Media Team
Media Team

Post by Will66 »

One should never impress a woman by driving past her fast in a car. A gentleman should offer her a lift then go fast!

Elektix
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Elektix »

Any women solely interested in you because of your car is in no way a 'keeper'. I do enjoy noticing people look at me though as I drive past and the female interest is always good for the ego though :lol:

I stand out more and more as more and more people buy utter eco crap and insist on driving near me on the roads :roll: :lol:

I love my 20mpg and subjective realiability as I actually enjoy driving unlike some muppets who fill up the roads.....

Why has no body capatilised on people like us? You could build a road in the middle of no where, almost akin to a track, but classed as a road....... kind of like the nurburgring? put food vendors in 'pitstop' style laybys, and pay to drive on it like a toll road, no speed limit and an 'advised speed limit' :lol: Those acting like knobs (thinking there in the BTCC) could just be banned, prosecuted under dangerous driving? etc etc.

Im thinking basically the isle of man in the middle of the UK :lol:

I digress, and it is probally quite clear im very bored at work :lol:
takerhandy
Former Member
Former Member

Post by takerhandy »

The manual actually advises to start the car and drive off. It's actually illegal to let your car warm up in the driveway in Germany! (Emissions/environment)
You don't want to stall any car cold, you've just put a huge strain on a cold battery and that's something you don't want to repeat. RX-8's flooding issue just knocks that point home. It is very hard to stall when cold as well though, all you can do is keep the revs up (within reason) and the car pretty much does that for you anyway!
The Rookie
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by The Rookie »

Flooding is not usually an immediate problem, its leaving it long enough for the fuel to start to evaporate that then causes 'flooding' (liquid fuel plus the air displaced by fuel vapour), so stalling and an immediate restart is unlikely to cause a problem.

Simon
2004 Winning Blue, 231, centre brake light mask, VFAD disable, front accent
Strakes and Mazdasport exhaust.
RX8fun
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by RX8fun »

I'm with Matt on this one, the only time I have ever stalled my car was the day I bought it and drove it away. I just didn't put enough revs in and luckily it was up to temp. From that experience for the few people I have let drive my car I have always made sure it was warm just in case they make the same mistake. I wouldn't say the RX is in any way a difficult car to drive but you have to be aware that it is higher revving and unless you want to stall/kangaroo just keep the revs up. Mine pulls away quietly and neatly @ 1500-2000rpm. Everybody makes driving mistakes occasionally but if stalling is a big problem I would suggest clutch adjustment if necessary as I have done on mine as I had excessive play.

With regard to the law is another problem, if I drive to the local shops/cashpoint I have to leave it with the engine running whilst using the cashpoint which is illegal but if God wanted me to walk everywhere he wouldn't have created wheels!!
desert_ratfaced
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by desert_ratfaced »

I occasionally stall mine from cold :oops: If I restart immediately, it fires up no problem. It's only flooded twice (to my knowledge), both times when the memsahib started it up from cold, moved it a few metres then shutdown & left it! #-o
See here: My Supercharged RX8......The International Man of Mischief.......Now in a Nissan 370z & Mitsubishi Pajero 3.8 v6.
Doddy
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Doddy »

RX8fun wrote: With regard to the law is another problem, if I drive to the local shops/cashpoint I have to leave it with the engine running whilst using the cashpoint which is illegal but if God wanted me to walk everywhere he wouldn't have created wheels!!
Eek, not only illegal, but a very very tempting run-about for any opportunist thief, and bang goes any insurance cover.

That's where the 4k shutdown comes in (the engine must be getting somewhere close to temperature anyway unless you live literally next door to the shop).

Plus, if you're looking for any sort of justification a 4k shutdown sounds pretty cool. :wink:
RX8fun
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8fun »

I normally walk to the shop but if I am on my way to somewhere and have to stop there first then yes I do leave it parked and running about 5 metres behind me (never further than that and I watch it like a hawk). I would rather leave it running than risk a cold shut down and flooding.
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Shagrington »

I'd leave 5 minutes earlier and just take a 2 mile detour to get it closer to being warmed up rather than leave it running.
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
RX8fun
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8fun »

In an ideal world I would do that but when time is money I grab my car and go. If there is another vehicle available to me I take that instead of the RX but sometimes that isn't always the case. At this time of year I am fighting the earlier darkness to get to places where I need daylight to do things so it's a constant battle for me. My worst nightmare is flooding my car and not getting to where I need to be. I would never leave my engine running and leave the car unattended (because that's illegal and asking for trouble) but I am less than 5 metres from it as it's warming up.
Manic Mechanic
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Manic Mechanic »

Carry a spare key (doesn't need to be a pukka immobiliser equipped one) and lock the door if you absolutely have to do this.
Pete.
Sold up, but did have fun with a 192, leather, sat-nav, crest, strakes, grilles, Toyo 'zorst, 6 speed 'box, anthracite wheels, bonnet struts, K&N, debadged boot.

No pistons or boobies, but still expensive.....
RX8fun
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8fun »

Good idea, ty.
Punk
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by Punk »

ok,so what would people suggest is long enough to keep the car running ( idle ) to get it up to temp? say a mile drive and 5 - 10 mins idle? cus thats what i do if i have to swap cars around on the drive ....
Done: Chrome strakes fitted, Tinted black, Interior LED lights to blue. To be done: New alloys, full Blue Leds, Projector Mazda logo, new clutch to be fitted...much more to come!
tractorboy
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tractorboy »

1. Until the temp gauge gets to the first tick.
2. Until the revs drop to 1000rpm.
3. Until the temp gauge is at normal.
4. Until the temp is at 35 degrees.
5. Until the temp is at 60 degrees.
7. Until the secondary air pump stops running.

I have seen all these suggested at various times here. A mile drive on its own is certainly enough.

Bob
Sold in 2017: Velocity Red RX-8 231 '04, Acquired Nov 2009, 1st RX-8
Will66
Media Team
Media Team

Post by Will66 »

If you're looking to avoid it flooding then 1 mile is generally fine unless it's very cold, if you're looking to use most of the revs and power then you need about 15 minutes of use to get everything warmed up. I hardly ever use mine for short trips and most of the time I'm heading along a dual carriageway, the A14, for the initial part of the journey. My general practise is to stay below 4000 rpm until I've either gone past the A11's southbound junction if I'm heading west, or Stowmarket if I am heading east. It's over 15 miles in either direction from where I join the dual carriageway so it's at least 15 minutes running in either direction, plus whatever I do to get to the A14 so it's fully warm.

Punk
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by Punk »

I don't drive much tbh, Everything is within walking distance but i am constantly having to move cars around, so it's good to know. Im booked in with hurleys for a compression test on tuesday, does anybody know if we get a OC discount?
Done: Chrome strakes fitted, Tinted black, Interior LED lights to blue. To be done: New alloys, full Blue Leds, Projector Mazda logo, new clutch to be fitted...much more to come!
Will66
Media Team
Media Team

Post by Will66 »

I think we do but I'm not sure. Worth an ask though.

ralferoo
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by ralferoo »

With regards to the OP, I think I've stalled maybe 3 or 4 times in the 4 years I've had the car, always when cold and usually just because I've slightly misjudged the biting point when getting out of a parking spot. I've almost immediately restarted the engine and never had an issue.

I think in general the RX8 is very generous on stalling. I've definitely almost stalled once or twice (lights on the dash come on) and just shoved the clutch in and it's recovered even though any other car would have stalled by then. In general this was just trying to go too slowly in slow moving traffic as the RX8 doesn't really like anything below about 2-3mph unless you're accelerating from rest.

In terms of deliberately driving some where and then turning off the engine, there's not really any call for it. If you're actually driving somewhere, unless it's the dead of winter it'll be up to temperature after a mile or about 2 minutes. On occasion I've popped to the post office (which is about half a mile away) on the way somewhere else and done the 10 seconds of 4k revs trick, although I don't really like doing that just because passers by look at you like you're some kind of hooligan out to make as much noise as possible. :D

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”