3 years coming up, Warranty ends, MOT due.

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
Anderzander
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Anderzander » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:17 am

Here is the thread I started asking for help on this very subject:

http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... hp?t=12358

One unfortunate thing I noticed is that the body inspection part of the service book has never been completed....

Any advice on this?

AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:48 pm

Dave, get the MOT done at the same Mazda garage if you can. If there is an MOT issue thats covered under warranty at the time, they'll sort it :wink:

orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:53 pm

Mine due beginning of Dec, booked for MOT and bodywork check middle of next month.

Also worth adding to get them to specifically check the door sills, oil cooler pipes, and from recent threads the anti-sway links.
RX-8 Owners Club Founder Member

ploz
Founder Member
Founder Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by ploz » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:24 pm

OK -I'm starting to look around for alternative "proper" mechanical breakdown insurance - which is like an extended warranty but covers parts and labour for most breakdowns regardless of manufacturing defect. There are not many insurers willing to offer this on RX8 (I've been told that they are all imports and too highly tuned to be insurable by underwriters) but quotes so far have ranged from £850 for one year to £519 for two year coverage (£311.99 for an annual with same insurer) (individual quates may vary according to area and milage expectations). The latter seems a good deal compared to Mazda's own warranty extention. Does anybody have any experience of these policies? I've designed and sold them for aircraft, but not cars. If they work the same way for cars, I'll be happy to go along with it.

Thoughts please.
There once was a man from Essex,
Who was potty over Mazda RXs.
He ordered an 8,
and had to wait,
But when it arrived, said "tis better than sex is".

pazza98
Former Member
Former Member

Post by pazza98 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:41 pm

ploz wrote:There are not many insurers willing to offer this on RX8 (I've been told that they are all imports and too highly tuned to be insurable by underwriters)
Obviously a misinformed individual, I hope you told him / her that the car they're thinking of is the RX7.
Toyota small car :(

JWatts
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Car coming to the end of Factory Warranty?

Post by JWatts » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:16 pm

Found this on the 3 year plus scheme from Mazda:
Definitely worth a look:
http://www.mazda.co.uk/Owning/AfterSale ... 3YearPlus/

PDF file on this page, but I couldn't get URL to link to it! :oops:

John
High Power Titanium....with lots of toys gone, but not forgotten and being looked after here :-)

Lensman
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Lensman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:32 am

Astonishingly I had always presumed that the perforation check was inherent in the service and I'd never flipped to the rear of my book. Big mistake. Priory Mazda of Cambridge (sadly no longer in existence otherwise I'd be having words) did the 2nd year check but not the 1st. I presume that means my 12 year warranty is void?

Lensman
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Lensman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:34 pm

Yeah, let's hope so (well let's actualy hope I never need the warranty) but Mazda UK state in the book that all the pages must be stamped and you know what sticklers they can be. Hopefully I still have the Priory job sheets that detail the checks they did and that might be useful for year one. Cheers.

HypoThermia
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by HypoThermia » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:24 pm

AnilS wrote:Dave, get the MOT done at the same Mazda garage if you can. If there is an MOT issue thats covered under warranty at the time, they'll sort it :wink:
Good advice. Whenever I've needed an MOT done on a car its been in for a service at the same time. Usually the garage/dealer has a reciprocal/subcontract arrangement with another garage to complete the MOT - I don't think you can get both done at the same garage because of the conflict of interest.

I've always thought of a service as making a car road worthy for MOT (although the overlap isn't perfect in what they check for), but its always been a smooth ride in the past.

Ian.
(Former Chairman, Membership Secretary, and long time Admin)
R3 Aurora Blue Mica - Racing Brake calipers, rotors and steel brake lines - Racing Beat exhaust - TARGA2 sensors - Lockwood grilles - blue LEDs - side and fog light upgrades - window tints - Eibach spacers
And still three gears left...

JWatts
Former Member
Former Member

Post by JWatts » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:27 pm

Mine has it's 3rd service on Friday.
The dealer (Stafford Mazda) have it booked in for the MOT first so that they can correct any issues during the service....and that was their idea not mine. :D
Just have to see how things go [-o<
High Power Titanium....with lots of toys gone, but not forgotten and being looked after here :-)

BobP
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by BobP » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:54 pm

Slightly confused about the 3Year Plus situation. Now, I can see the wisdom of getting a service and MOT done before my car hits its 3rd anniversary but does not the £10 ERA offering apply to cars that are over 3 years old ?

The T&Cs are confusing in that it states that the offers are conditional on the next scheduled service being carried out at Mazda Authorised Repairer - so would that actually be the year 4 service ?

Has anyone got the £10 ERA deal ?

:?
Bob. Winning Blue, HP.

JWatts
Former Member
Former Member

Post by JWatts » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:12 pm

My dealer stated exactly that...i.e. you can pay and then you will be covered for the next MOT, not the 1st.

If you look at the small print though I am not sure what it will cover...I don't know what the exact wording was, but if for example you need to have the handbrake cable adjusted to pass the braking test in the MOT, this would not be covered as it is an adjustment.
I guess it will be identical to the extended warranty too, whereby corrosion, wear & tear and anything else that Mazda can exclude themselves from will apply.

BobP
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by BobP » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:25 pm

druck wrote:If you do under 12,500 miles a year, at the 3rd service the car is 3 years old, so you then qualify. If you do more miles a year, its whenever the next service intervale of 12,500 miles occurs after the 3 year mark.
I think you missed my point. I plan to get my car serviced when it's 2 years and 11 months (I do under 12.5K pa) then it's still under warranty but not yet 3 years old (so not a 3yearplus). If I wait until it is 3 years old then it's no longer under warranty and the MEA has lapsed as well.
Bob. Winning Blue, HP.

Jambo
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

MOT at 52,500 miles

Post by Jambo » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:34 pm

£50 at SDM Mazda in Falkirk.

Failed emission test but they ran a fuel line cleaner through it and it passed?

Should I be worried ?
Velocity Red 192

AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Re: MOT at 52,500 miles

Post by AnilS » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:19 pm

Jambo wrote: Should I be worried ?
I would have the catalyst checked. If there is a problem, then be worried if its not under warranty.

ChrisW
Former Member
Former Member

Re: MOT at 52,500 miles

Post by ChrisW » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:28 pm

Jambo wrote:£50 at SDM Mazda in Falkirk.

Failed emission test but they ran a fuel line cleaner through it and it passed?

Should I be worried ?
Failed the MOT emission test???

That definitely sounds like a problem. The readings on mine were so low they were practically unmeasurable. The noddy MOT emissions test shouldn't be any kind of problem for a Euro4 compliant car like the RX-8.
High Power, Velocity Red/Black Leather

Jambo
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Jambo » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:56 pm

Thanks AnilS and ChrisW, thats exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear, makes this website really usefull.

I took the car to another MOT station yesterday and it failed again.
should be CO<=0.3%, HC<=200ppm and Lambda 0.97 - 1.03.

The Lambda was about 0.92 - searched the web and found this-

http://www.bobmckay.co.uk/p_emissions.html

Basic fault finding for advanced emission test failures:

If a vehicle fails for high CO at idle and /or fast idle then.... if Lambda is too low, the mixture is too rich. This can be caused either by a misfire or by a faulty Lambda sensor. If it's running very rich, the 02 and HC will be higher than normal.

Trouble is it's just gone out of Warranty, however was in warranty when tested. I phoned dealer but the Service Manager was on holiday so will be going back to dealer on Monday when he's back.

I expect to be fob'd off but will persist, will report back.
Velocity Red 192

Jambo
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Jambo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:22 pm

sorted with a software update, the dealer SDM Mazda in Falkirk checked both sensors and now my emissions are neglible with the lambda bang on 1.00
Velocity Red 192

AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:22 pm

Jambo wrote:sorted with a software update, the dealer SDM Mazda in Falkirk checked both sensors and now my emissions are neglible with the lambda bang on 1.00
That was lucky :D

Big Koo
Former Member
Former Member

Warranty @MOT

Post by Big Koo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:19 pm

Thanks RX8 owners for your interesting and useful posts. My warranty expires in March 07 and I was thinking of getting the car serviced then.
I think with the issues regarding the Cat, I will now get the service and MOT carried out in Feb just to be on the safe side!
:wink:
"Racing is Life Anything Before or After Is Just Waiting"

Smokester
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Smokester » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:41 pm

Hi Ive got my 3rd year service coming up soon :( and Ive just moved to Lincolnshire, does anyone know of a good service garage in this area. The lincoln Mazda showroom quoted £365 :cry: Im thinking of suppying my own oil,plugs,etc but still would like to know of a garage that give quality service.
Can anyone help please. :?:

PAULO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PAULO » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi All,

As my car is 3 years old on 19th March, I booked my car into a dealer to have 3rd Year Service and Mot completed and ask about various warranty issues before the manufacturers warranty expires.

This dealer is part of the biggest group in Scotland and when I purchased the car from them new I also purchased a 3 year service plan. The dealer has moved from being a Mazda only dealer to a joint Ford and Mazda dealership.

I will warn you this is a long list but let's just say I'm not impressed by them one bit.......

I also asked about purchasing the extended 2 year Momentum Warranty, but they only have 1 person who knows about this and he wasn't there :evil:

The list of warranty work etc. is as follows:

Recall letter from Mazda for PCM - Advised this was done in March 06 :?:

Squealing from front brakes (TSB) - Advised that this wasn't a warranty item, although I argued the point that there was a TSB for certain 04 models within a certain chassis number range - Does anyone know what this range is :?:

Milky emulsion on Dipstick - Again I mentioned Vent Kit and TSB - they said not a warranty item again :!:

Clutch Judder especially at low speeds - Agreed there was judder but clutch only covered for 1 year or 9K miles - new clutch £285 + vat.

Clicking from clutch pedal - lubricated :?: Surprise, surprise still there.

Cigarette lighter bulb hasn't worked since handbrake lever replaced - requires 2 bulbs not in stock but will order.

Remote key-fob not working - asked them to replace battery and program, surprise no battery in stock. :shock:

Various rattles from dashboard, doors etc. - Done nothing - will arrange to have a technician go out in car with me next time it is in.

Front seat backs chipped by seat belt buckles - Advised this was wear & tear and wouldn't be covered by warranty :?: I'm sure other owners have had these replaced.

Corrosion on Oil cooler pipes - agreed corrosion ther but was normal nad no leaks. - I asked if I had the extended warranty and these leaked in the future would these be covered and was told probably not as it would be expected wear and tear :shock:

Anti sway links - inspected and ok.

Alloy wheels corroding (3rd time) - have taken photo's and will send to Mazda for authorisation to replace.

Corrosion on wheel hubs, brake calipers and shrouds - no warranty item or offer from them to paint, corrosion is usual. Take it I'll have to do these myself :wink:

Catalytic converter - passed emissions test so ok....

I also tried to buy 4x1 lites of oil, guess what not in stock.

3rd Annual body and paintwork inspection - just stamped book never put whether ok or not - I made sure they then marked as all ok.

I have also purchased an uncut switchblade key from the US and asked them about getting the key cut and programmed, they said they couldn't do this as they used the VIN to order replacement keys. As my car didn't come with a switchblade key as an OEM, if they ordered a new key it would still be an old style key. I'm sure you can get the actual blade part of the fob separate from the whole thing, or am I wrong :?:

My main question is, does anyone think I'll have any luck if I take my car to another Dealer and ask them to do something about the squeaking brakes, Vent kit, seat-backs, rattles etc. Or am I wasting my time......

It's very annoying as the original dealership was excellent for both customer service and getting things done. The majority of the staff there had worked on the Mazda brand for years. This new lot are clueless and don't inspire any confidence. I'm now seriously considering whether just to change the car altogether, as I don't want to run into future problems with for example clutch, oil cooler pipes etc.

Any thoughts....... :?:

Oh and as an aside, the original service plan cost for 3 years was £399, so I didn't have to think too long before taking that out :wink: Having said that I got a copy of their invoice to their service plan admin. dept. and the total cost of the service according to them excluding the MOT was only £214.00......
WB, LEATHER, F & R CREST, FINS, COLOUR CODED BUMPERS, LOWERED FRONT NUMBER PLATE, B PILLAR TRIMS,BRIDGESTONE RE050A, GARMIN NUVI 760 T, LOCKWOOD GRILLE SET, SHOW & SHINE WINNER 2007!!

BORN ON 19TH MARCH 2004 - SOLD 29th OCT 2008
NOW PORSCHE CAYENNE S & SMART BRABUS ROADSTER COUPE.....

PAULO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PAULO » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:13 pm

Respondez sil vous plait :wink:
WB, LEATHER, F & R CREST, FINS, COLOUR CODED BUMPERS, LOWERED FRONT NUMBER PLATE, B PILLAR TRIMS,BRIDGESTONE RE050A, GARMIN NUVI 760 T, LOCKWOOD GRILLE SET, SHOW & SHINE WINNER 2007!!

PAULO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PAULO » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:40 pm

Any thoughts :?

u2----
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by u2---- » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:54 pm

PAULO wrote: This dealer is part of the biggest group in Scotland and when I purchased the car from them new I also purchased a 3 year service plan.
If it is ‘AC’ Paulo then dump them now!
I also asked about purchasing the extended 2 year Momentum Warranty, but they only have 1 person who knows about this and he wasn't there :evil:
Mazda will send this info to you prior to your warranty expiring.
Milky emulsion on Dipstick - Again I mentioned Vent Kit and TSB - they said not a warranty item again :!:
It is and is well known!
Clutch Judder especially at low speeds - Agreed there was judder but clutch only covered for 1 year or 9K miles - new clutch £285 + vat.
That's true. Clutch judder seems dependant on weather temp IMO.
Cigarette lighter bulb hasn't worked since handbrake lever replaced - requires 2 bulbs not in stock but will order.
Obvious warranty claim.
Remote key-fob not working - asked them to replace battery and program, surprise no battery in stock. :shock:
It is just a normal battery Paulo. open the keyfob and buy another, will cost you heaps less!
Front seat backs chipped by seat belt buckles - Advised this was wear & tear and wouldn't be covered by warranty :?: I'm sure other owners have had these replaced.
Yes they have. Orbist posted not so long ago about this very issue.
Corrosion on Oil cooler pipes - agreed corrosion ther but was normal nad no leaks. - I asked if I had the extended warranty and these leaked in the future would these be covered and was told probably not as it would be expected wear and tear :shock:
Get it reported at the very least against your car reg, hopefully this will become a recall if Mazda still want to sell cars.
Alloy wheels corroding (3rd time) - have taken photo's and will send to Mazda for authorisation to replace.
Last time for that I'm afraid.
Corrosion on wheel hubs, brake calipers and shrouds - no warranty item or offer from them to paint, corrosion is usual. Take it I'll have to do these myself :wink:
You will do a better job anyway, I did.
I also tried to buy 4x1 lites of oil, guess what not in stock.
Contact Oilman, he has lubricated me since day 1! :oops:

My main question is, does anyone think I'll have any luck if I take my car to another Dealer and ask them to do something about the squeaking brakes, Vent kit, seat-backs, rattles etc. Or am I wasting my time......
As I have already said Paulo, if this is AC we are talking about then they are useless to the extreme. Sales are brilliant, when the money is in the bank then forget about any form of customer service. I wholly suggest you change your dealer to 1 that satisfies your service/warranty requirements. If you need a recommendation I and others can provide one I am sure. If you are keeping the car then I suggest you do this sooner rather than later.
Iain

Pz in Brilliant Black - Sour Plums for the Daft Grin - Snooper Sapphire - Meguiared so much it's turned from a Red 8 to a Black Pz-

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”