Wheel corrosion etc

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
JohnMortimer
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wheel corrosion etc

Post by JohnMortimer » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:37 pm

A had company come out to my workplace called chips away to get priced up some repairs for my alloy wheel dont let your girlfriend drive your car bless her. He said there was no point all the wheels had signs of corrosion and that i should contactmy mazda dealer. So i did and aparently the 2003 to 2005 models came with european spec wheels which are good for sunny spain but not that good for england and apparently the salt that is spread on the roads during winter is damaging to them and the air fins strakes, they also painted my wheel hubs silver which looks really good with the new wheels so my girlfriend did good..
2004 231 RX8 BLACK B/LEATHER
Strakes, bonnet dampers, mats, indoor cover, glove box badge, front rotary crest, mazda speed oil cap and dust caps.

weasley
Former Member
Former Member

Post by weasley » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:16 pm

You're new here, aren't you?! :wink: :D
Not had a Wankel since 2007.

y005jcb
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Wheels

Post by y005jcb » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:45 am

When I took my 8 back to have it serviced, the man said "You have some spidering on your alloys. I can get them changed under warranty"
"Super" I said.(I say things like that).
So, if you have dodgy wheels(not caused by kerbing) try the local dealer and see what they can do.
Velocity red 230 '04. Body kit. Bonnet dampers. Too early for the nice red inserts on the seats. Ce la vie.

RichardK
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RichardK » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:56 pm

I'm wondering if I can ask my dealer to offset the list price of the new alloys against the chrome ones... and if possible, how much the chrome ones would cost me! I really, really want the chrome wheels on my car.

I suspect I'm a bit sad.

Anyway, my dealer noticed the (very slight) corrosion on my wheels after they chipped the back ones when fitting new tyres ;)
121 cars in 15 years.
"Enola Gay" FH55 OBW - 2006 RX8 190 Galaxy Grey, Cloth, SSStrakes, RBScreens Membership 1111
1996 Delica Space Gear Jasper 2800TD

RichardK
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RichardK » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:44 pm

That's my expectation too. Not going to stop me from asking, though ;)
121 cars in 15 years.
"Enola Gay" FH55 OBW - 2006 RX8 190 Galaxy Grey, Cloth, SSStrakes, RBScreens Membership 1111
1996 Delica Space Gear Jasper 2800TD

r1al
Non Member
Non Member

yes im new

Post by r1al » Fri May 25, 2007 3:48 pm

getting my 8 next week, but if i recall the wheels are looking a tad shabby, what is the warranty on these ???? is it just the norm 3 years or is it an extended anti corrosion warranty ????

Rocketman
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Rocketman » Fri May 25, 2007 4:17 pm

Just the standard 3 year warranty for wheels. Bodywork is longer.
Managed 3 sets in 3 years, the next ones will be up to me :?
Rocketman

r1al
Non Member
Non Member

Post by r1al » Fri May 25, 2007 4:25 pm

no good then as warranty was up in march, now let me think mate has a 55 plate, mmmmmmmm think i could be asking him to swap wheels :wink:

Trune
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by Trune » Fri May 25, 2007 4:42 pm

i still wouldnt stand for it even if you are out of warranty, these wheels were put on the car below the standard they should be. Mazda being aware of the problem, should have resolved it. Not replaced them with items of the same quality with the same fault.

Even out of warranty, you'd have a damn good battle to get them to cough up for some new ones.

Its not as simple as washing thier hands of stuff as soon as the warranty runs out. They still have to mainain a level of service on the items they sold. Though they may argue its caused by normal day to day ware, but evidance shows this is not the case.

Rocketman
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Rocketman » Fri May 25, 2007 4:47 pm

Good luck with that ! :(
Rocketman

Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor » Fri May 25, 2007 9:59 pm

Trune wrote:i still wouldnt stand for it even if you are out of warranty, these wheels were put on the car below the standard they should be. Mazda being aware of the problem, should have resolved it. Not replaced them with items of the same quality with the same fault.

Even out of warranty, you'd have a damn good battle to get them to cough up for some new ones.

Its not as simple as washing thier hands of stuff as soon as the warranty runs out. They still have to mainain a level of service on the items they sold. Though they may argue its caused by normal day to day ware, but evidance shows this is not the case.
Remember the warranty is in addition to your rights under the Sale of Goods Act an alloy wheel should last longer than 3 years before they start to corrode, I had a series one RS Turbo which was 17 years old when I sold it the original alloys were still good as new.

So Ford can manage it.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, K & N filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.

Trune
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by Trune » Fri May 25, 2007 10:51 pm

even peugeot can manage it! Ive got a set of Shadow Chrome 17" alloys on my current car, had them a couple of years, and even with bad damage the paint finish is still perfect, absolutley gleaming!

r1al
Non Member
Non Member

Post by r1al » Tue May 29, 2007 1:45 pm

has anybody tried to get alloys replaced once car is past the 3 year warranty ?????

nac
Non Member
Non Member

Post by nac » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:07 pm

I just bought a brand new car (cant wait until the 8th Sept), can I expect the wheels to corrode on it? I clean and wax the wheels on my current car, would a coating of wax help?

wieczorek
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by wieczorek » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:14 pm

r1al wrote:has anybody tried to get alloys replaced once car is past the 3 year warranty ?????
I've tried today,and even with my extended warranty - no luck :evil:

AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:19 am

Yes, the wheels will corrode within 6 months. :(

Waxing the wheels will help make them easier to clean but will not help against corrosion.

I had 5 sets of alloys in 3.5 years :!: This issue is still ongoing and I suggest you keep returning to the dealer for a new set, as and when :wink:
Gone (RX8 - 231) but not forgotten.
VW Arteon
BMW Z4 Coupe

nac
Non Member
Non Member

Post by nac » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:25 am

Why hasn't this important issue been fixed? The dealer said it wasnt an issue any longer. :(

How the heck do alloy wheels rust? I understand that they can tarnish if the protective layer is damaged but never heard of alloys rusting.

denbob
Former Member
Former Member

Post by denbob » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:24 pm

AnilS, how did you manange 5 sets in 3.5 years?
with each new set do you get the 3 year gaurantee?

AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:05 pm

I managed this because the quality wasn't good enough :!:

The 3 year guarantee is only for the car. So if you had a new set of alloys 4 months before the car became 3 years old, the alloys would only have a 4 month guarantee. Beyond that, its how well you argue your point. :wink:
Gone (RX8 - 231) but not forgotten.
VW Arteon
BMW Z4 Coupe

RotaryMC
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RotaryMC » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:40 pm

nac wrote: How the heck do alloy wheels rust? I understand that they can tarnish if the protective layer is damaged but never heard of alloys rusting.
It's not rust (ferrous oxide), that is just corrosion in iron and steel. Alloys can corrode as well, especially if they're not well protected by paint and lacquer.
Now in a Lexus IS 250 SE after 4 great years in my:
Mazda RX-8 Titanium Grey 231
04 Reg
Racing Beat exhaust and grills, Strakes, Crest, Black Calipers with Decals

nac
Non Member
Non Member

Post by nac » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:46 pm

Instead of simply replacing duff wheels Mazda should send them off to one of the many wheel restoration companys and have them stripped and re painted and clear coated.

If my wheels go I think I might suggest this to them. Must be cheaper than supplying a whole new set of wheels.

RXGreat
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RXGreat » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:53 pm

nac wrote:Must be cheaper than supplying a whole new set
Not necessarily, Mazda must be passing the cost straight to their wheel supplier. Surely they wouldn't be so accommodating if they were footing the bill.

sunlight silver
Former Member
Former Member

Post by sunlight silver » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:12 pm

Mine went in for a service this week, and although the corrosion has only just started and is really hard to see, the dealer happily took pics and said they would send them to Mazda.

Fingers crossed.

:)

RXCraig
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by RXCraig » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:20 pm

I got a brand new set on my 55 plate when i got it last week. Dealer (non-mazda) said it was bcos the japanese wheels arent as tough as normal british wheels so scratch easier. But he said mazda are excellent and will replace them under warranty no bother. Think i'll get myself another set before the warranty is up in a year - goin by what u guys r sayin :wink:
55 plate, Velocity Red, 231bhp, Front Splitter, Strakes, B-Pillar logo, Sat Nav, Aero Flares, Lip Spoiler, All Black Leather Interior, Illuminated Gear Knob

nac
Non Member
Non Member

Post by nac » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:14 pm

Replacements are all well and good but it doesnt fix the problem does it? What about when the warrenty runs out.

If this happens to my wheels I think I will ask about ensuring that it wont happen again or at least ensuring that they will replace again even if it happens outside of warrenty.

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”