Brakes - pulling to the left - and wheel alignment

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
TRYST
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Brakes - pulling to the left - and wheel alignment

Post by TRYST » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:58 pm

Hi,

Just bought my RX-8 a few weeks ago and absolutely delighted with it - don't know why it took me so long to buy one. The only thing seems to be that I get a slight juddering when breaking fast from reasonably high speeds. It also pulls slightly to the left when I brake, again normally from high speeds. I just wondered if anyone out there might know what is causing this before I take it to the garage. A friend suspected warped brake discs ? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks !
John

KennyNI
Former Member
Former Member

Post by KennyNI » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:02 pm

When pulling to the left, what sort of road are you on. Check which direction the camber of the road is going: possibly a bit of tramlining going on.

Since we drive on the left, most A/B roads are cambered from the centre to the outside, and any tramlining will go to the left. If you can, find a perfectly flat road or a bit of cambered road going the opposite way and try braking to see if its still going to the left.

orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:44 pm

There are certain areas locally where mine pulls seriously left under braking. Always the same spots, so I've put it down to the camber. Worth checking pressures however.
RX-8 Owners Club Founder Member

TRYST
Former Member
Former Member

Post by TRYST » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:55 pm

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll check out the tyre pressure and tread. If that isn't the issue then I'll get the brake discs checked.

Also, I'll test out the car on a flat road to see if the pulling to the left problem persists. Thanks !

reddragon77
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

A similar problem ...

Post by reddragon77 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:44 pm

I have a similar problem with my 8 ...

Since I picked it up 5 weeks ago (2nd hand), the car has been pulling to the left, sometimes harder than others. I don't think it's the brakes, seems to be something else. Sometimes it pulls harder than others and on times when coming to a stop the steering wheel can actually movea 1/4 of a turn by itself. :?

I've had the alignment done, no problem and the tyre pressures are all ok. It's going into a Garage in Slough on the 3rd Nov - hopefully it'll be something under warranty. :cry:
Velocity Red, 231, ported rebuild Jan 2013 by Haywards Rotary, Racing Beat mid-pipe and back box, Red & Black Leather, Black Gloss Alloys, S/S Strakes, Bonnet Stay Dampers, Sunroof, RE40s

pazza98
Former Member
Former Member

Post by pazza98 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:46 pm

Could it be the DSC or something needs resetting? (Random stab in the dark) :)
Toyota small car :(

reddragon77
Former Member
Former Member

Post by reddragon77 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:27 pm

Are you sure Druck? I would have expected to have seen many more posts on this forum. I can be on the Motorway sometimes and I still get the pull to the left.

Why do I experience it more in the 8 and not my other car (Ford Focus)
Velocity Red, 231, ported rebuild Jan 2013 by Haywards Rotary, Racing Beat mid-pipe and back box, Red & Black Leather, Black Gloss Alloys, S/S Strakes, Bonnet Stay Dampers, Sunroof, RE40s

forkqueue
Non Member
Non Member

Post by forkqueue » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:44 pm

I get it - thought it was a problem when I first got my car, but noticed it pulling right when in a turning-right lane (where I was effectively on the right hand side of the road) so it became obvious it was just the camber.

I think the problem is partly that the car gives you so much more feedback through the wheel than most others - certainly more than any other car I've drive (to be honest, none of those were anything exciting). Once you get used to it it feels absolutely right.

California Style
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by California Style » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:44 pm

its camber...my car can veer left suddenly if not holding the wheel tight!
Lightening Yellow
SORN Track special from now on!
California Smile
Now with removed whine (boooo!)
Project thread for pics and info

reddragon77
Former Member
Former Member

Post by reddragon77 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:51 pm

Thanks guys, esp. Druck. It does all start to make sense now.

Just one thing then ... my car is booked into a garage to have the pull to the left checked out. If they find nothing wrong with the car, will there be a charge? The car is still under warranty!

fnegroni
Former Member
Former Member

Post by fnegroni » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:50 am

Get the tracking checked by a garage with computerised equipment.

I cannot stress this enough as the typical Laser equipment is not good enough.

The Hunter computer system used by Merityre can do a 4 wheel alignment of our rx-8 to hundreth of degree. Our suspensions are the Sport Suspensions in their Database.

Remember this car has fully adjustable suspensions on all 4 corners, so a thrust from the rear due to some misaligned rear axle toe-in or camber can be a bummer to spot. I even blamed the tyres at some point (Dunlop actually called me twice to make sure it was not the tyres, and they were ready to get my car checked at their expense, quite a generous offer I might say)
A simple trip to Merityre solved the issue: rear thrust of 1 degree spotted and corrected.
I sold the RX-8, I got a Volvo.

What's wrong with me?! :-(

reddragon77
Former Member
Former Member

Post by reddragon77 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:06 pm

It was Merityre that checked my 4 wheel alignment and it was fine.

fnegroni
Former Member
Former Member

Post by fnegroni » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:55 pm

reddragon77 wrote:It was Merityre that checked my 4 wheel alignment and it was fine.
I am glad! :-)

Stratosphere
Former Member
Former Member
Location: The Real Hollywood, Birmingham, not that fake place in America

Pulling to the left - advice please

Post by Stratosphere » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:22 pm

Rexy's been pulling very slightly to the left recently, in that I have to apply a very small amount of pressure to the steering wheel to keep it straight.

Tyre pressures check out and are only 5,000 miles old. I don't think it's tramlining either.....

So, took it to the dealer tuesday for tracking check. It's within tolerances with both fronts being 1/2 a degree (mechanic didnt say in or out) whereas from the factory it's 1 degree.
he suggested that I book it in for them to put it on the electric steering diagnostic machine to check it out.

My question is this...... even though it's within tolerances, could this small difference relative to factory setting cause the very slight pull?
Also, could it be the electric steering thinking that straight ahead is say half a degree to the left so I have to apply the correction?

Thanks in advance.........

Tim
I thought an RX8 was for life, not just a mid life crisis ....
Strato 190, Leather, Strakes
Arrived 01/09/2005 Departed 06/03/2008

weasley
Former Member
Former Member

Post by weasley » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:41 pm

It could simply be road camber. The crown of the road means it slopes from the centre to the gutter - when driving down the left-hand lane there is a tendency to go to the left (ie into the gutter).

Try to find a genuinely flat piece of ground - perhaps a car park or something and then see how it feels.
Not had a Wankel since 2007.

reddragon77
Former Member
Former Member

Post by reddragon77 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:49 pm

As above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had the same problem and had the car checked out by a Mazda Dealer. Over time I've spotted it's bad on certain roads and it's def. the camber on the roads.

I've you need to spend any $$$ be very sure. I wasted £60 on have all 4 wheels aligned.

RD

PS It's even more significant if your not used to driving low profile tyres

AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:51 pm

Tim, mine was the same before and after my tyre change. Had the steering checked and was within tolerances, but there still is a slight pull to the left and I have to allow for correction too. Seems sensitive to cambers but .....................

...................... you haven't caught a kerb or dropped down from on kerb onto your front nearside wheel? I did and this "characteristic" stayed :? .

fnegroni
Former Member
Former Member

Post by fnegroni » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:42 pm

There was a thread, long time ago, where I explained how important it is to get a computerised 4 wheel alignment in this case. The thread may have disappeared by now due to some unknown "feature" of this forum where threads disappear if not contributed to in recent times. Silly if you ask me but I digress.

Anyway, I spent a lot of money on laser alignment check and it was useless.

Yes, of course, your problem may just be isolated to certain roads, so it could be camber.

:!: But in my case it was rear axle thrust, caused by the rear's toe-in setting being out (maybe kerbed the rear somewhere).

To cut a long story short, just use a computerised alignment system (like the Hunter system used by Merityre), where our suspension geometry is in the computer's database and can be verified by hundreths of degrees.

fnegroni
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Pulling to the left - advice please

Post by fnegroni » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:48 pm

Stratosphere wrote:So, took it to the dealer tuesday for tracking check. It's within tolerances with both fronts being 1/2 a degree (mechanic didnt say in or out) whereas from the factory it's 1 degree.
Factory setting for toe-in (positive means toe-in, negative toe-out) is 2 (two) degrees for front axles, and 3 (three) degress for rear axle.
So you only have 1 degree front toe-in at the moment, which may make the steering slightly more vague in a straight line.
My question is this...... even though it's within tolerances, could this small difference relative to factory setting cause the very slight pull?
Not if the two sides are equal. But a small difference between left and right either front or back will cause pull.

Also, could it be the electric steering thinking that straight ahead is say half a degree to the left so I have to apply the correction?
No, the electric steering rack does not pull to one side or the other. It only adjusts the amount of "effort" exerted on the steering column. Just like a normal hydraulic system, but better.
It is not BMW style active steering we have.

dirtyleeds
Club Member
Club Member

Post by dirtyleeds » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:52 pm

Yeah - where's your dosh frengoni??!! C'mon - I need something to do!!
Former Club Secretary
Strato Blue 230 with ALL the optional extra's plus Hoop Spoiler, Borla Exhaust, MazdaSpeed CAI, RP High Flow CAT, RB Grills, and Fully Uprated Brakes - Gone but not forgotten!!
Born a northerner, always be a northerner - just came down south to take your jobs, money and women! :D

ku2t
Former Member
Former Member

Post by ku2t » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:26 pm

fnegroni wrote: :!: But in my case it was rear axle thrust, caused by the rear's toe-in setting being out (maybe kerbed the rear somewhere).
Just had 4 wheel alignment done. Apparently my rear axle thrust needed to be adjusted by 1/2 degree. She now steers dead centre - but only on a flat camber road. The car also seems more settled at high speeds.
Petra - Petrol'ish blue, PE04, drinks lotsa petra
231 Winning Blue, Leather, SatNav, PDC
Rotarised since March '06!

Stratosphere
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Stratosphere » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:00 pm

thanks for all the replies guys....

yes, I did kerb the right rear alloy ( grrr ) in a car park and the mechanic did say that one was different to the left rear so maybe that's it ?

no merityre in birmingham but a usefull link to http://www.alignmycar.co.uk
so I've found somehwere in redditch I can go to ........

thanks to fnegroni

Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:09 pm

Are you sure you are using a good quality pressure gauge? some gauges on the market are quite poor in terms of accuracy.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, K & N filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.

Stratosphere
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Stratosphere » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:39 pm

Delanor wrote:Are you sure you are using a good quality pressure gauge? some gauges on the market are quite poor in terms of accuracy.
I reckon so and it actually agrees with the guage on my halfrauds footpump - perhaps I should therefore doubt its accuracy actually ! :wink:

following on from the thread about anti roll bar links, I checked them as well ....... no problem there.

going to get it checked this weekend hopefully ....

pazza98
Former Member
Former Member

Post by pazza98 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:49 pm

fnegroni wrote:There was a thread, long time ago, where I explained how important it is to get a computerised 4 wheel alignment in this case. The thread may have disappeared by now due to some unknown "feature" of this forum where threads disappear if not contributed to in recent times. Silly if you ask me but I digress.
I found it, it's here!
Toyota small car :(

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”