Noisy Steering Wheel

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
Evolve RX8
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Noisy Steering Wheel

Post by Evolve RX8 »

Hi

Has anybody had any creaking noises from when they turn their steering wheel? Is this something I should go back to Mazda on?
Any advice would be welcome.

Ta
Evolve Owner
Copper Red Mica with Club Decals
BIGWITHEY
Club Member
Club Member

Post by BIGWITHEY »

Withiut casting doubts are you sure it's not the drivers seat? Well documented "issue" that seems to come from everywhere in cabin other than the actual seat :?

8)
J.
Former Club Chairman
Former Events Coordinator
PZ,GG, SS Strakes, Tints, R B Exhaust, K&N Filter and Bonnet Stays.
190 Strato gone but not forgotten.
'08 Applecross Tug of War Winning Team Member
Johnny5
Former Member
Former Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Johnny5 »

I'm with 'The seat' :lol:

Mine creaks a little, but it's not an upset.
2006 RX8 231 in Winning Blue with Leather and SatNav. 17mpg and rising...
Everton
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Noisy Steering Wheel

Post by Everton »

Old thread resurrection time!

Have a major problem with the steering that developed over the past couple of weeks. Had the notchy steering last year so cleaned and lubed the steering joint - all sorted. The problem occurred again a couple of weeks ago, so did the same - whipped the wheel off, wire brush to get rid of the surface rust, drenched with WD40......lock to lock a few times, then given a liberal coating of silicone grease afterwards.

You may be surprised to hear the the problem got much, much worse after this :-k

Took it for a test drive and the steering got really stiff and creaks like crazy - to the point where you can let go of the steering on a roundabout and the car carries on turning around it. Left it on the drive until today when I did the same - wheel off, degreaser, WD40 (a LOT of WD40!) , silicone grease. Creaking as loud as hell, really stiff. Out of ideas now so it's officially off road. :|

Checked the movement of the track rod ends and droplinks - all moving smoothly, no damage to the rubber boots. Anyone got any ideas? No way I can drive it to RR in Leeds (I wouldn't drive it any distance in this state) and would cost a fortune to get it trailered up there.

HELP! #-o
Sorted by Rotary Revs | RR D585 Coils | Castrol Power 1 Premix and V-Power Nitro+ :D
Rotary Revs Gold Rebuild and Street Port \:D/
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Your actions could have released some rust/grit from the outside of the joint and washed it inside, where it's now interfering with the movement of the bearings.

You might get away with flushing with more WD40 (or paraffin) and, if you're lucky, wash the grit back out of the bearing.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

The UJ contains metal needle roller bearings. You should lubricate them with some kind of mineral based grease. I definitely would not use silicone lubricant, which is intended for rubber and plastic lubrication.

It's probably too late for your UJ so you will be needing a new one. I lubricate mine with motorcycle chain lubricant. It goes on as a liquid, but turns into a grease, and is kind to the rubber seals.

I know people say clean it with WD40, but I don't do that either. I don't want to wash out any of the grease already in there.
Everton
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Everton »

My bad - I used Lithium grease, not silicone #-o

Is it a difficult job to replace the steering UJ? From the amount of WD40 and grease it's had applied over the past two weeks and the noise it is making I suspect it is kaput :-k
Sorted by Rotary Revs | RR D585 Coils | Castrol Power 1 Premix and V-Power Nitro+ :D
binghamf6
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by binghamf6 »

you can take the joint off I would take the two bolts out of the uj but don't take it off the steering rack or shaft yet then set the wheel to straight ahead remove the ign key then turn the steering wheel until it locks (this will stop the steering from rotating when you remove the uj and damaging the clockspring for the airbag) now make a mark on the rack and the uj so you can line them up later now take the uj off , now check it for wear and if theirs any tight spots if there are try tapping it with a hammer to see if it loosen up if it does then clean off and soak it in some thin oil and leave it for a time then check it again to make its ok then grease it to death and leave it for a while check it again if ok the refit it .
These users thanked the author binghamf6 for the post:
Everton (Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:50 pm)
Shane..

HID's + LED'S , Custom Gauge Pod , Piano Black Center Console , Later Interior , Bonnet Struts , Catch Tank
Poly Bushed Front End , Meister R Zeta S coil overs , Braided brake lines , Sohn And 2T Tank
RE-Amemiya short shifter, Show 'N' Go Front No. Plate , R3 Style starter motor.
Racing Beat Silenced de-cat and Rev 8 Cat back , Lambo Doors

Rebuilt and Ported at Hayward rotary
Everton
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Everton »

binghamf6 wrote:you can take the joint off I would take the two bolts out of the uj but don't take it off the steering rack or shaft yet then set the wheel to straight ahead remove the ign key then turn the steering wheel until it locks (this will stop the steering from rotating when you remove the uj and damaging the clockspring for the airbag) now make a mark on the rack and the uj so you can line them up later now take the uj off , now check it for wear and if theirs any tight spots if there are try tapping it with a hammer to see if it loosen up if it does then clean off and soak it in some thin oil and leave it for a time then check it again to make its ok then grease it to death and leave it for a while check it again if ok the refit it .
Thanks for the tips :thumleft:

Next question, how do you actually get to the joint? Not through that tiny porthole in the wheelarch I hope!? :lol:
binghamf6
Former Member
Former Member

Post by binghamf6 »

unfortunately yes I'm afraid so.

or try using some of this stuff it the mutt nuts lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INNOTEC-DeBlo ... 0958777149
These users thanked the author binghamf6 for the post:
Everton (Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:12 pm)
Shane..

HID's + LED'S , Custom Gauge Pod , Piano Black Center Console , Later Interior , Bonnet Struts , Catch Tank
Poly Bushed Front End , Meister R Zeta S coil overs , Braided brake lines , Sohn And 2T Tank

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Everton wrote:Next question, how do you actually get to the joint? Not through that tiny porthole in the wheelarch I hope!? :lol:
Yes, though taking the wheel off helps a bit
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Everton (Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:12 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Everton
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Everton »

binghamf6 wrote:unfortunately yes I'm afraid so.

Thanks, will give that a whirl. If it doesn't work, may have to consider my options :-k
Everton
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Everton »

warpc0il wrote:
Everton wrote:Next question, how do you actually get to the joint? Not through that tiny porthole in the wheelarch I hope!? :lol:
Well that goes without saying really :lol:
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Re: RE: Re: Noisy Steering Wheel

Post by warpc0il »

Everton wrote:
warpc0il wrote:
Everton wrote:Next question, how do you actually get to the joint? Not through that tiny porthole in the wheelarch I hope!? Image
Well that goes without saying really Image
You'd think so but I've seen people struggle trying to avoid removing the wheel.

The bizarre thing is that you want both front wheels up off the ground to do the job anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Everton (Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:50 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller »

PeteH wrote:The UJ contains metal needle roller bearings. You should lubricate them with some kind of mineral based grease. I definitely would not use silicone lubricant, which is intended for rubber and plastic lubrication.

It's probably too late for your UJ so you will be needing a new one. I lubricate mine with motorcycle chain lubricant. It goes on as a liquid, but turns into a grease, and is kind to the rubber seals.

I know people say clean it with WD40, but I don't do that either. I don't want to wash out any of the grease already in there.
I'll second that - I thought I would be clever and used silicone grease , was ok for a bit then good a lot worse very quickly - avoid silicone grease at all costs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everton
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Everton »

binghamf6 wrote:unfortunately yes I'm afraid so.

Thanks for the tip! Ordered some DeBlock from eBay as WD40 was doing nothing. It arrived this morning so, as I was off work, went out and gave the UJ a good spray with DeBlock and left it for 10 minutes to soak. Job done - freed up a treat and after a good coating with Lithium grease, steering is now as smooth as butter again. Not cheap at almost £15 a can but obviously very good stuff. :)
binghamf6
Former Member
Former Member

Post by binghamf6 »

Glad to see you got it sorted .. you wont need the WD40 anymore lol.
Shane..

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”