Paint Match Velocity Red

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Paint Match Velocity Red

Post by ChrisHolmes » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:38 pm

I have a 55 plate Velocity Red 230 which was kindly tail ended by a drunk driver with 1500 miles on the clock. Strangely he is still alive!!

Problem is this was in October and the car has been in and out of the body shop for a total time of 6 weeks because they cannot get a match for the paint colour.

Has anyone else had this paint matching problem? If so what happened in the end?

Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Harrizone » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:26 pm

Chris,

Velocity Red ahs been a colour match nightmare from day 1.

Are you using a Mazda dealer for the spray work.

As far as I am aware these are the only people who seem to get close.

Ray
Now a distant memory unfortunately.

dave4458
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dave4458 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:02 pm

I've had two paint jobs done on replacement (damaged) boot lid & bonnet, plus other panels sprayed...No problem, although the paint shop did say that the Velocity Red was a "son of a bitch" to match.
Dave

ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member

Velocity Red Paint Matching

Post by ChrisHolmes » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:36 pm

I am using the body shop of a well know national car dealer chain and they are using Akso Nobel (Sikkens) paint. The old paint has been computer analysed and just went from being to light to being too dark!

Now after 4 coats of the paint they are going to supply a new bumper.

Confidence they can do this is zero.

Tip for anyone else, check the car under a yellow street light and the difference in colour is amplified.

AW8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AW8 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:58 am

Replacement bumpers from japan apparently available primed only (despite stacks of prepainted ones on the assembly line. I would advise r to compare a matching sample template before authorisation. As well as paint match it's also difficult to replicate magnetical charging of particles in the mica finish.

VR has been perfectly matched for others in the past. Other colours can be a pain too as I recall (WB?)
VR 230 owned 2003-2006 - Never to be forgotten.

PeskyPedant
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PeskyPedant » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:27 am

Someone dinged my VR passenger door and didn't leave a note. I am quite nervous that they will not be able to match the new door properly. Chipsaway refused the work saying they could not match the paint, Mazda Bedford said they could match it but they are aware of the difficulty, and WB is tricky too, they added. Mazda Northampton (who recommended the new door) said matching would be no trouble at all, incredibly easy in fact :roll: .

Mazda N'hampton is not really Mazda, but a "Mazda approved" bodyshop. I am not certain what that means. Are there straightforward "Mazda" bodyshops? If there are, I would rather they did the work cos they will match better IMO.

I have been fantasizing about Mazda shipping ready painted VR doors from Japan, or even getting one off ebay. All I have found so far is some VR wing mirrors, however :?

Good luck mate!

PAULO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PAULO » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:04 pm

My car is Winning Blue and was dropped off at accident repair centre again this morning for their 3rd attempt at getting the colour match to my satisfaction. This and other items which they haven't attended too. :roll:

They've had the car since 12th December and I just wish they would respray the whole car now as I don't think they will ever get the colour right.

What do you think my chance's are of them doing that :?:

WB, LEATHER, F & R CREST, FINS, COLOUR CODED BUMPERS, LOWERED FRONT NUMBER PLATE, B PILLAR TRIMS,BRIDGESTONE RE050A, GARMIN NUVI 760 T, LOCKWOOD GRILLE SET, SHOW & SHINE WINNER 2007!!

BORN ON 19TH MARCH 2004 - SOLD 29th OCT 2008
NOW PORSCHE CAYENNE S & SMART BRABUS ROADSTER COUPE.....

PeskyPedant
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PeskyPedant » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:32 pm

Hi Paulo,
What sort of repair center is that ? A "mazda apporved" bodyshop ?

Makes you wish you car was black, doesn't it ?

Jim

RB5 Paul
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RB5 Paul » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:38 pm

I had a scratch sprayed in on the rear bumper of my vr rx8 at autohaus mazda northampton and the paint match was perfect :D
And david that works their is a really nice bloke if that helps,i'd recommend them to do your door without a second thought

PeskyPedant
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PeskyPedant » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:26 am

RB5 Paul wrote:I had a scratch sprayed in on the rear bumper of my vr rx8 at autohaus mazda northampton and the paint match was perfect Very Happy
And david that works their is a really nice bloke if that helps,i'd recommend them to do your door without a second thought
That's very encouraging. I am about to get a new passenger door fitted and sprayed by the chaps at autohaus mazda northampton. :)

Lambo
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Lambo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:59 pm

Chris,

I sympathise with your dilemma, but as someone in the know i can also sympathise with both the Bodyshop and paint company who are dealing with your problem.

The problem originally stems from Mazda using special pigments online (though very attractive) that are unavailable to the car refinish market.

I also think you will find that most if not all successful repairs on this colour will have been blended rather than edge to edge matches. Again the problem you mention about street lighting is a phenomena known as "metamerism" which again is down to the pigment used online in Japan. The UK are the only country worldwide who use Sodium (yellow) street lighting so this is not a big issue for Mazda...i wish they'd tell us this when we buy our vehicles.

To be honest i would accept anything that looks good in daylight, or allow the bodyshop to blend the colour.

Lambo

jang
Former Member
Former Member

Post by jang » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:21 pm

I have a VR and it has been in the body shop three times :oops: . The first time (new front wing)it took 3 attempts and visits from the local paint supplier before a very good match was found, but the next time(drivers side complete) no problem at all. Third time (white van man front ended me on roundabout) new bumper etc. again no problem and the repair was done in 4 WORKING DAYS FROM ACCIDENT TO PICKUP!!!! Again excellent colour match.
I cannot recommend my local repair shop highly enough, so a plug follows
GILLIBRANDS BODYSHOP, BLACKBURN and not a Mazda dealer.

Jan
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix
His was RX8 Velocity Red, RX8 Galaxy Grey - Gone but not forgotten
Now Ford Focus RS 300BHP 163 MPH Frozen White Lux pack 1 and USB/BT Yes it has front wheel drive!
Hers MX5 Copper Red Mica Roadster coupe. Lowered, EBC Greenstuff brakes

rexster
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by rexster » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:51 am

Hi going off issue slighty i have a 6 in strato which was broadsided on tues
is this colour as hard to match as VR any advice welcome :cry:
TG,190,leather,crest,fins lovin every minute

ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:27 pm

As some of you may know I am having great troubles having my Velicity Red paint matched. Now finally I am at a body shop that knows what it is doing after being round in circles with Sikkens (Akso Nobel) paint. Apparently Mazda use Du Pont paint originally and their are 2 shades, not about 8 as Sikkens would have you believe!

Has anyone else out there had a similar problem.

As I see 75% of the owners club members run Velocity Red cars then someone must be sharing this nightmare with me.

u2----
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: Velocity Red Paint Matching

Post by u2---- » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:39 pm

ChrisHolmes wrote:
As I see 75% of the owners club members run Velocity Red cars then someone must be sharing this nightmare with me.
Chris I think you have your numbers a bit confussed (I believe TG is the most popular colour), however red and winning blue are indeed hard colours to match. Do not let this deter you from getting a match though, it can be done and has been posted on this forum from both these colours.
Iain

Pz in Brilliant Black - Sour Plums for the Daft Grin - Snooper Sapphire - Meguiared so much it's turned from a Red 8 to a Black Pz-

ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:46 pm

Message for U2 in Glasgow. The 75% Velocity Red was incorrect, it is 29% but Velocity Red is the m,ost popular colur with Titanium Grey 1% or 9 members behind accoring to issue 2 of the magazine.

It really doent matter though they look great in any colour just more so in some than others.

Lambo
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Re: Velocity Red Paint Matching

Post by Lambo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:42 pm

ChrisHolmes wrote:As some of you may know I am having great troubles having my Velicity Red paint matched. Now finally I am at a body shop that knows what it is doing after being round in circles with Sikkens (Akso Nobel) paint. Apparently Mazda use Du Pont paint originally and their are 2 shades, not about 8 as Sikkens would have you believe!

Has anyone else out there had a similar problem.

Chris,
i dont know where you get your info, but dont believe everything you hear! Mazda use either Kansai Paint or Nippon online not Dupont.

BASF have somewhere in the region of 12 shades on this colour and every shade advises that the colour is Blended. Spies Hecker have 8 again each one suggests either Total Respray or Blend needed (this you can check for yourself as no password needed for their web-site)

vikkic
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by vikkic » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:48 pm

Used the handy little search function to find this thread. :D

Car's been in body shop now for a week to have new front wing. Chased up today and told would be ready later once they'd polished it. Then got a call to say they're not happy with the paint and it would have to go back into the workshop. Now, I wonder whether it's the velocity red paint match problem, or they're just fobbing me off because they haven't actually got it finished.....

I'm gonna be paranoid about the paint match now :( and I'm missing my Rex :(
Vikki

Copper Evolve - now with stripes and plates
Gone but not forgotten: 192 Velocity Red, Sunroof, Leather
Summer runner: Audi Cabriolet 2.6 V6 SLine (complete with mould and even more leaks!)

DogsnutsEA
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by DogsnutsEA » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:56 pm

I would take confidence in that they have noticed a mismatch and that they want it to be perfect as well... :D
James (Former Club Tart (now owned by Hypothermia)/Annual Show 'n' Shine Winner 2006/Prodrive AutoTest Champ 2007)

MazdaSpeed 230 Strato with Grey Trim, DoB 22-03-06. Borla Exhaust, GunMetal Grey Strakes, Chrome MazdaSpeed Badges, Black MazdaSpeed Rear Brake-light Decal, Rear Parking Sensors, Leather Handbrake, Leather Front/Rear Console Lids, Illuminated Gearknob, RED Interior LEDs, RED LED Puddle Lights, LED Sidelights, Xenon Fog Lights. Now with MazdaSpeed GunMetal Grey Alloys.

AForce8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by AForce8 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:16 pm

Could anyone tell me where to find a good body shop to take care of my painting needs in Suffolk?? I would greatly appreciate it.

Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:22 am

Moderator: please don't quote the previous message, its just above ^^^

Check out your yellow pages and look for a VBRA registered body shop - they have to adhere to certain standards to be a member so should be good.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, K & N filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.

FIRST TIME ROTA OWNA
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by FIRST TIME ROTA OWNA » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:21 pm

Hi Aforce8
Might be a little late now as I see the post was over a month ago, can't actaully reccommend a specific garage but I have a panel & paintshop here in New zealand, (I emigrated from nottingham 10 years ago) we are a Glasurit shop I recently got the front end hit on my 8 and ended up painting Bonnet, Bumper LH wing & LH door and found that the "coarse shade" of 27A (Velocity Red) to be almost perfect, ie did not require blending as most colours do. So if you haven't already found a shop dy suggest you look for one that is a Glasurit user and also a member of the V.B.R.A (vehicle body repairers association) and get them to check the coarse shade on their colour profi system.

essexgirlracer
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by essexgirlracer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:44 pm

Hope im not going to have a problem as my VR goes into shop soon to have kit sprayed and fitted now im worried about colour match as my OH had his RX7 sprayed VR but it looks nothing like my red
RX-8 231HKS Legamax exhaust
Veilside D1GT bodykit,Veilside Carbon Bonnet,18" Volk GTC wheels,Apex-Racing Coilovers, DriftWorks carbon spoiler,Stretched rear arches,two tone paint job in ink black&house of kolor hot pink pearl.

Velocity_RXB
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Velocity_RXB » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:56 pm

I have ordered and used a couple of spray cans of VR on my engine bay and have had a PZ spoiler sprayed and fitted as well. To my eye at least they are a perfect match under any angle or light.

27A is a 3 part Mica so if one layer was skimped on or applied too heavilly then this could account for the difference in percieved shades. Also viewing on large panels and a car with different lines can be misleading to the eye.

I would not be worried if I was you, if the guys who have your car know what they are doing a very good job should be achievable.
IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT- Colin Mcrae 1968-2007

Red Leather ,Borla Exhaust, WHITE Wheels, Racing Beat REVI Intake, PZ Spoiler, Side Skirts, Front Splitter, Red Engine bay, LED's allround, RXB Offset Plate, ICE Sun Visors, 52mm Roof Gauges, Rollaway center dash install, OBDII Dashawk ashtray mod, RE Amemiya Short Shifter, + loads of other little custom touchs here and there. Mod List 8) :P

SoulTaker879
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Re: Paint Match Velocity Red

Post by SoulTaker879 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:58 pm

i had this problem when mazda was painting and fitting my pz spoiler. the paint looked more like copper red than velocity red. as it looked alot darker and the specks were alot smaller, plus they scratch the boot lid, and told me if i wanted to have it repair i would have to pay. so i complain to the salesman lol and he got them to respray the spoiler and the boot lid perfect match now :)

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”