Clearing up some of the myths regarding engine compression

Useful hints, tips that you think will help other drivers and owners. (No questions)
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Nordic Green

Re: Clearing up some of the myths regarding engine compression

Post by SmuttyHutty » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:47 am

As far as I can recall (and I am always prepared to be proven wrong) nobody ever ridiculed Freddie for his 6 week oil change regime. There were comments questioning the need for this, but in Freddie's mind it is giving his car some love and I can't fault him for that. It is just not necessary. But it is his car and he can follow whatever oil change and maintenance regimes he deems fit.

If I did an oil change every 6 weeks that would equate to fresh oil every 300 miles in my 192 and every 120 miles in my PZ last year.

It's like opening up a new bottle of milk every time you need a splash to go in your coffee. But each to their own...

New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:18 pm

I agree I thought people where remarkably restrained re the 6 weeks. I'm envious. I wish I had enough free time, and spare cash, to change oil that often.

At least that explains where all the R3 oil filters disappear to.

Squeezing an AGM battery tightly into the compartment nobody questioned either...

Dr. FrankenRex
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:52 pm

For clarity, I'm not ridiculing - I feel as though I missed part of the original discussion around this.

Just asking as I honestly don't see the use case for that frequent an oil change (but I do not know Freddie's specific rotary use case, hence asking)

Just making an observation that, unless it's a high weekly mileage, I would personally see that as more frequent than necessary :thumleft: As everyone says, to each their own, but it's making an already expensive to maintain car even more expensive! :)
FrankenRex2, leaner and meaner. RR Full Bridge rebuild with Race Extension porting, Cusco Strut Brace, RB Header, RB Dual Res Decat, Pettit Catback, Eibach lowering springs, Maserati 6 pot brakes, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights, braided clutch line, RB ARBs - the list goes on!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg

SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by SmuttyHutty » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:03 pm

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:52 pm
For clarity, I'm not ridiculing - I feel as though I missed part of the original discussion around this.

Just asking as I honestly don't see the use case for that frequent an oil change (but I do not know Freddie's specific rotary use case, hence asking)

Just making an observation that, unless it's a high weekly mileage, I would personally see that as more frequent than necessary :thumleft: As everyone says, to each their own, but it's making an already expensive to maintain car even more expensive! :)
And equally for clarity, nobody has ridiculed. Not you. Not me. Not anyone who previously commented on Freddie's regime. Each to their own. But, as you say, it makes an expensive car to run even more expensive.

Dr. FrankenRex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:06 pm

Clearly never wishing engine failure on anyone, but I'd love to see inside Freddie's engine to see what effect it may or may not be having...
FrankenRex2, leaner and meaner. RR Full Bridge rebuild with Race Extension porting, Cusco Strut Brace, RB Header, RB Dual Res Decat, Pettit Catback, Eibach lowering springs, Maserati 6 pot brakes, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights, braided clutch line, RB ARBs - the list goes on!

Proactive
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Custom

Post by Proactive » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:19 pm

I do understand where Freddie is coming from on this,
People post to share information with like minded enthusiasts and whilst other people may not agree or see the point with anything posted, mearly questioning something can look like criticism, even if not intended to do so, it can irritate, then get 3 or 4 people questioning and it just starts to be annoying as if you have to justify what your doing.
Sometimes all you want is " oh that's what you do" ok.
There is nothing at all in what he is doing that will harm the car, or be detrimental to it, how people spend their own Money is up to them and should never be raised IMO as personal finances are not for discussion.
Simon, RX8 PZ #44. Solid Black 2006 known as Agatha

Dr. FrankenRex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:39 pm

Proactive wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:19 pm
I do understand where Freddie is coming from on this,
People post to share information with like minded enthusiasts and whilst other people may not agree or see the point with anything posted, mearly questioning something can look like criticism, even if not intended to do so, it can irritate, then get 3 or 4 people questioning and it just starts to be annoying as if you have to justify what your doing.
Sometimes all you want is " oh that's what you do" ok.
There is nothing at all in what he is doing that will harm the car, or be detrimental to it, how people spend their own Money is up to them and should never be raised IMO as personal finances are not for discussion.
A fair point, but if I posted up on here and said "I found some LS2 coils for £2,000 - should I buy them" people might comment on how they aren't considered the defacto anymore and can also be had much cheaper elsewhere.

I asked as I'm genuinely curious as to the thinking behind it (as I wasn't aware of a previous discussion, I have since searched the form and found the R3 Sohn thread). I do get what you mean, though.

New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:49 pm

Proactive wrote:
Except that a couple of things he's recommended as being beneficial to the car could be harmful. Like Terraclean and squishing a battery in. They should at least be open to discussion.

Doing your own thing and acknowledging the risks is one thing and fab. I'm on that train... I use a K&N Typhoon of all things :lol:

But in principle (I'm not looking at Freddie here), doing mods or 'alternative' maintenance and claiming that they are necessary due to various flaws in the car is another matter. In that case I don't think other people should be expected to be nodding dogs. Being told by a new owner how flimsy my own car is, when I know better, is going to raise an eyebrow and prompt a discussion.

If someone came on here and showed off their swirl pot that they strapped to the passenger seat made out of a used McDonalds cup, then I really hope we wouldn't all be expected not to question it.

Proactive
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Custom

Post by Proactive » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:18 pm

New Duke wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:49 pm
Proactive wrote:
Except that a couple of things he's recommended as being beneficial to the car could be harmful. Like Terraclean and squishing a battery in. They should at least be open to discussion.

Doing your own thing and acknowledging the risks is one thing and fab. I'm on that train... I use a K&N Typhoon of all things :lol:

But in principle (I'm not looking at Freddie here), doing mods or 'alternative' maintenance and claiming that they are necessary due to various flaws in the car is another matter. In that case I don't think other people should be expected to be nodding dogs. Being told by a new owner how flimsy my own car is, when I know better, is going to raise an eyebrow and prompt a discussion.

If someone came on here and showed off their swirl pot that they strapped to the passenger seat made out of a used McDonalds cup, then I really hope we wouldn't all be expected not to question it.
My comments where entirely in relation to the change of oil frequency, nothing else.
Simon, RX8 PZ #44. Solid Black 2006 known as Agatha

Freddie
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Freddie » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:15 pm

Dunno, about 1000 ish

Return to “RX8 Hints and Tips”