Phils little civic ek3

For reviews / technical discussions on the other car.. using the knowledge of others on the forum
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: Phils little civic ek3

Post by Pippypip »

So I decided to buy a cheap eBay short shifter to give it a go because why not for £13....

The install was actually very easy apart from the stupid bolts Honda use to hold the shifter to the shifter linkage as they don’t have bolt heads. The result was me having to take the whole linkage out and using a pair of pliers and a ratchet to undo the bolts.

So far seems pretty good and has halved the shift distance, not that it’s going to make any difference really on my little d15 engine.

Also ended up removing the headlights and finding a bunch of messed up wiring which I will have to replace tomorrow when I get some new h4 connectors from amazon. Plan is to spray the lights in satin black like I did with my Rx8 Image

These users thanked the author Pippypip for the post:
MARKTHOMASBRAND (Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:51 pm)
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

So last weekend I decided I was annoyed with how tinny and loud the Japspeed exhaust I got was and remembered I still had the power flow muffler the previous owner had given me. So I got inspired and decided to buy a little sealey mightymig flux welder.

So this morning I got out my angle grinder and cut up both the backboxes and welded them together.

This was actually quite an easy process as the pipes had a big enough difference in diameter to slide over each other and both pipes also had a similar angle coming out of the muffler.

This is what it looked like after I had tacked the pipe in place. I don’t want to show my final welds as they are not pretty at all (and this was my first time welding Image) but I am happy enough with the strength and they should hold fine.

The hangers were a bit of a pain as the Japspeed hangers weren’t a straight swap due to the different muffler design, so I ended up grinding them back a bit and then welding them straight to the power flow box.

This is the bit that I’m not happy with as I didn’t get the position right and the muffler hangs slightly to the side. I will change this later but my it started to rain so I decided it’s good enough for now.

My goal for this whole little project was to make it a bit quieter... but obviously that didn’t happen but at least I’m now sounds a bit better I guess Image
MARKTHOMASBRAND (Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:54 pm)
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

Last night I also removed the headlights which due to previous bodge jobs were a pain. Ended up breaking one of the h4 connectors and am currently waiting for a new one to turn up today from amazon along with new bulbs.

After taking them out I whacked them in the oven and separated them, undid the 3 little torx screws, scuffed up the light surrounds and sprayed them black.

I then sealed the lights up again and put them back in the oven which produced this as the final result.

Once they are back in the car I will wet sand them back and polish them to get rid of the haze as well as a little bit of butyl that I got on the lenses as I was rushing a bit.
MARKTHOMASBRAND (Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:55 pm)
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

So I woke up this morning with the intention of cutting and polishing the civic. However I forgot to remind myself how bad the paint was.

So after a quick clay bar and wash I started....

The result was.... well a lot of poorly applied clear coat flaking off of my roof and making a mess....

It’s such a shame as it’s a nice colour but the paint is in wayyy too bad condition to save so maybe an at home bodge respray is required after lockdown ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Pippypip for the post (total 2):
30405 (Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:13 pm) • MARKTHOMASBRAND (Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:33 pm)
MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND »

If it's just the roof where the lacquer is peeling you could always have that wrapped in Black or carbon effect :colors:
These users thanked the author MARKTHOMASBRAND for the post:
Pippypip (Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:42 pm)
Mark's : 2023 Misano Blue BMW M135i XDrive.

Mandy's : 2019 30th Anniversary Mazda MX-5 RF # 1761/3000.
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

MARKTHOMASBRAND wrote:If it's just the roof where the lacquer is peeling you could always have that wrapped in Black or carbon effect :colors:
That’s what I was originally thinking but it’s also on the pillars, bonnet and front and rear bumper. The doors are also caked in stone chips so it makes sense to just respray the whole thing. It’s not getting anything specially just a single stage job for now I recon.... just got to figure out the colour, right now I’m leaning towards anthracite grey or maybe even a dark blue/purple.
MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Aaaaah that's a shame & all because it's been left in the elements without having any polish/wax to protect it #-o

I know it's a fair few years old but no reason why that paintwork shouldn't still look presentable :p

Go Championship White like the EK9 Type R :colors:

Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

MARKTHOMASBRAND wrote:Aaaaah that's a shame & all because it's been left in the elements without having any polish/wax to protect it #-o

I know it's a fair few years old but no reason why that paintwork shouldn't still look presentable :p

That was another consideration along with nardo grey but I don’t want to do something that’s so common or build a type r rep which has put me off going with white.

Well that and all the dirt that white cars accumulate ahah, after washing my dads white civic on the weekend the amount of dirt that showed up on it was incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goobie
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Goobie »

MARKTHOMASBRAND wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:49 pm
THIS!
MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Those "Work" alloys you have on there ATM could be repainted in Anthracite or Bronze for a nice contrast :colors:

These users thanked the author MARKTHOMASBRAND for the post:
Pippypip (Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:05 pm)

Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

MARKTHOMASBRAND wrote:Those "Work" alloys you have on there ATM could be repainted in Anthracite or Bronze for a nice contrast :colors:

Hmmmm I mean that combo does look amazing so maybe I may have to reconsider aha
MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Of course your idea of a darker colour (Blue/Purple/Grey) with a contrasting white wheel would look awesome too 8)

Championship White is a doddle to keep clean :colors:

Much easier than dealing with annoying water marks on darker colours :nod:

The Crystal Black Pearl I had on the Black Edition was amazing but washing it in the hot Summer months & trying to dry it asap before the rinsing water baked on there was a pain :lol:

I've had White wheels too & you need to wash them like every other day :whistle:

Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

MARKTHOMASBRAND wrote:Of course your idea of a darker colour (Blue/Purple/Grey) with a contrasting white wheel would look awesome too 8)

Championship White is a doddle to keep clean :colors:

Much easier than dealing with annoying water marks on darker colours :nod:

The Crystal Black Pearl I had on the Black Edition was amazing but washing it in the hot Summer months & trying to dry it asap before the rinsing water baked on there was a pain :lol:

I've had White wheels too & you need to wash them like every other day :whistle:
Yeah I have made up my mind on the wheel colour that I’m going for already which is basically a deep copper/bronze colour as black and anthracite wheels are boring to me. Issue is just figuring out the best colour to go with them as most colours work.
MARKTHOMASBRAND (Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:14 pm)
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Phils little civic ek3

Post by GreySilver Beast »

I would prefer you to kept the original colour seeing there's likely to be very few left :(
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

So a couple of days ago I won a rear type r style splitter on eBay for about £50 posted which I thought was a good deal off a guy breaking an ek. So I ended up getting a message today from the guy saying that Hermes refused to pick up the parcel due to the size and asked if I could come and get it instead. So I went on a quick 1 hour trip to get some groceries and a social distanced pick up of this lip. The thing is that the guy decided to give me the lip free of charge and refunded the eBay payment due to “messing me about” (his words not mine), so I mean I can’t really complain with a free lip that I was going to buy anyway.

Long story short I also ended up with some spoon mirrors for £20 and a Megan racing rear strut bar as well for another £20 all of which will go on the car.

MARKTHOMASBRAND (Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:05 pm)
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Phils little civic ek3

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Sounds like a real bargain Phil =D> =D> =D> =D>
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

So I went ahead and fitted the rear strut bar between the two rear seatbelt bolts and removed the stock rear headrests as I disliked looking at them. Not sure how much it actually helps with rigidity but it looks cool enough so it can stay for now. Just thought I would say that I don’t carry people in the back hence why I am using this bar, if I need to have anyone in the back it’s only two Allen bolts to drop the bar out Image.

MARKTHOMASBRAND (Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:53 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:39 pm)
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

So I also started to make the spoon replica mirrors look a bit nicer as well as they were covered in a mix of poorly done white wrap and about 7 different colours of paint where they have just been rattle canned over.

Didn’t want to spend a lot of time on them as I will probably wrap them in carbon but for now I gave them a few coats of high fill primer and some black graffiti paint I found in my flat as I am impatient and wanted them on the car now. The job isn’t amazing but it’s a lot better than it was. While dismantling them I found out that there is a power mirror mechanism behind the glass with the wires cut off, so next time they are off the car I will probably solder them to the standard Honda connector off the lights that came off the car and try to get them working.

Obviously in my sensible nature I decided to fit them at 1am so no pictures as they came out like rubbish but will post some soon Image
MARKTHOMASBRAND (Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:35 pm)
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

Hah 1am
Man you are worst than me
I do 7am work on the car. But never 1am 😂😂😂
These users thanked the author mi60o0 for the post:
Pippypip (Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:33 pm)
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

ive spent all night rebuilding a engine before now, then showered, went to work, came home, and spent the next night fitting it. then, with less than a hour spare, loaded it on to the trailer and took it to a competition..

and no, i didnt think id make it either :D
These users thanked the author qwakers for the post:
Pippypip (Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:35 pm)
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

Ignore how dirty it is as I had basically just done a rally stage at work before taking these pictures but I wanted some pictures with the new side wings, headlights and the very lightly tinted tail lights that I did when I went him
Goobie
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Goobie »

It all works really well together that lot.

I feel it needs some thing done about that front plate, looks oddly to big?
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

Goobie wrote:It all works really well together that lot.

I feel it needs some thing done about that front plate, looks oddly to big?
The plan is to grab some import sized plates which will obviously be smaller but I still want square plates. The ones on it now I had to get quick as the originals on the car were cracked and kinda fell off.
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

So I went out and gave my car a quick was as it was very disgusting and decided to have a poke around at the exterior rust...

My little works hydroshot pressure washer that I have at my flat are straight through the bodge body filler repair (it’s legit about 2cm of straight filler) as it was poorly attached.... it’s worse than I thought but I was planning to get the cheapo repair panels for it from Poland anyway in the next month before it hopefully gets sprayed up.

For now I will have to think of a way to make it semi watertight to stop water from getting in and rusting more of the panel as I don’t fancy reskinning the whole thing...

So to cheer myself up after the realisation of more welding, I decided to see if my rear lip actually fits up to the bumper.

Tbh I still want to get rid of the exhaust tip but it looks so much better with the lip on. Once again it won’t be getting fitted until I paint the car in it’s new colour. Will probably be looking at getting a set of abs facelift style bumpers too for it as I don’t like the plastic on the edges of the bumpers.
Pippypip
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Pippypip »

So thought I would post my temporary solution for my rust holes Image

Basically I have just stuck some aluminium window tape over them temporarily. This stuff is horrible to handle and will rip the paint off before the tape falls off. Looking into the damage further I might just patch it using some mild steel instead of the full panels as the sills are not rusted at all.
GreySilver Beast (Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:30 pm) • MARKTHOMASBRAND (Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:32 pm)

Return to “The Other Car..”