Sensible new car (Vauxhall Astra)

For reviews / technical discussions on the other car.. using the knowledge of others on the forum
CTID
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CTID »

So after a change to my wife's car I needed something that'll fit the dogs in the boot and unfortunately don't have room on the drive any more for an extra car so the RX-8 has gone and been replaced with a Vauxhall Astra which is surprisingly nice. It's currently in need of a good wash again but here are a couple of pictures.
IMG_1077_editedreduced.jpg
IMG_1074_editedreduced.jpg
So far it's standing up well to comparison with the 8, more usable space, lower fuel consumption and road tax, faster in a straight line. Handling's difficult to comment on, there's huge amounts of grip and despite my best efforts on a certain slippery local roundabout I'm not aware of getting the front wheels close to losing grip and understeer at all but it's easy and accurate enough to place. I've previously had Minis among other cars that would have been ploughing ahead in similar circumstances. Torque steer's very well countered by the trick suspension though not completely eliminated but again far better than said MINI Cooper S roadster and cabbies. The seats are very nice, a little more comfortable than the S1, a little less so than the Recaros in the R3.

Overall I'm really rather liking it. I took some time looking round - the Megane RS in it's different forms wasn't as nice inside especially for rear seat passengers and the boot shape was poor for getting the dogs in, very hard with the cup chassis for day to day driving as well. The current Focus ST interior I didn't gel with, the Astra's felt nicer as well as looking to my eyes much nicer on the outside too.

The biggest surprise has been the tyres. I'm a bit of a tyre snob and it came from Vauxhall with Nexen N'Fera SU1s new all round and on both the test drive and in different weather conditions since they've been great. I'll see how it goes as they wear but for now they seem to have very good wet and dry grip.
These users thanked the author CTID for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:59 pm) • MARKTHOMASBRAND (Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:17 pm)
Previous: 231 in Velocity Red, 231 in Black, R3 in Silver, Evolve in Copper Red.
Currently Vauxhall Astra GTC VXR :D
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Nice car Mark :thumleft: and also a shame you have had to move on to yet another car away from the RX-8 again :(

Still no reason why you can't attend some of our Events this year in the Vauxhall though, like Tunerfest South at Brands Hatch :thumleft:
These users thanked the author GreySilver Beast for the post:
CTID (Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:42 pm)
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
CTID
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Sensible new car (Vauxhall Astra)

Post by CTID »

Thanks Nigel, I'd have loved to have kept my Evolve but we just moved back to Eastbourne from Bexhill and went from a nice in and out gravel drive to a double drive way and no room for a car in either garage. We're collecting a new puppy tomorrow which'll bring us to three dogs and it was my turn for the practical car so unfortunately it had to go.

I'll be coming to Beaulieu though will walk in from the normal car park and will try and make Tuner Fest South as well, just waiting on some work dates to be sure before paying up.
These users thanked the author CTID for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:15 pm)
Previous: 231 in Velocity Red, 231 in Black, R3 in Silver, Evolve in Copper Red.
MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND »

Bet that goes well :twisted:

Vauxhall did a great job on the exterior styling with these IMO & the front seats are mighty impressive too :thumleft:

Love those alloys 8)

Regards,Mark.
These users thanked the author MARKTHOMASBRAND for the post:
CTID (Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:33 pm)
Mark's : 2023 Misano Blue BMW M135i XDrive.

Mandy's : 2019 30th Anniversary Mazda MX-5 RF # 1761/3000.
CTID
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CTID »

Thanks! Terrified of parallel parking though, so much wheel and so little tyre.
MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND »

I always tilt the kerb-side mirror down for accurate parking...that's what electric mirrors are for :p

Oh & don't expect much love on here from the,blinkered to the rest of the automotive world,RX8 owners :lol:

The S1 RX8 in particular is the fastest/best car ever made apparently :z (BIG YAWN)

Regards,Mark.
These users thanked the author MARKTHOMASBRAND for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:22 pm)
Mark's : 2023 Misano Blue BMW M135i XDrive.

Mandy's : 2019 30th Anniversary Mazda MX-5 RF # 1761/3000.

Return to “The Other Car..”